Rosewood Little Dix Bay

• shuttle bus service
  • tennis court
  • babysitting

Good

Wonderful trip but service lacked

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We spent our honeymoon at Little Dix Bay, we wanted to get away to a tropical paradise and found that in the BVI. Little Dix Bay was a beautiful resort but the service (with the exception of one staff member) was severly lacking. Time after time we were expected to coddle to the staff for service and on one occasion the concierge argued with us on the length of our beach drop. We also had a mixup on the reservations and it took several hours of Rosewood talking to Little Dix to get our last day stay straightened out. For the tropical beauty, it can't be beat. For the money there are many other locations in the BVI that are just as good. Again, we loved the setting but in the event we go back to Virgin Gorda we will stay at a villa on the beach."

• Travel date: 7th June 2005

Spectacular property - below average rooms

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"Just got back and had a great time. The grounds are really spectacular - beach amazing. Spa is brand new and the only way to describe it is - WOW! They are updating the rooms - the new junior suites are unmatched but the ocean cottages and ocean front rooms are just average (most of the rooms). Definitely NOT 5 star - more like 3 star. Staff tries hard but has a way to go to be 5 star. Ordered breakfast day one and it never showed up - no call. Went to eat at the grill and they ran out of gas - no food. Room not made up a few times and dirty plates left outside some rooms. No towels left for the beach on another day. Food is also 3 star - not great. Despite these hiccups, we loved the place - dont come if your high maintenance and expect 4 seasons quality - its not. Come to get away from it all in one of the most beautiful settings in the world."

• Travel date: 5th June 2005

An absolutely amazing place

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"It's been a year since we started our honeymoon there, and I'm still talking about our trip to the BVI, which started with three nights at Little Dix Bay. The resort has its own private boat from Tortola to Virgin Gorda, so we started there. The ride was a bit bumpy but fine overall. The views were breathtaking once we got to Virgin Gorda, and the resort is in a fabulous location. I felt like we were going to Fantasy Island. We got an oceanview room, which was wonderful. Since it was our honeymoon, the staff had champagne in our room, which was a nice touch. The bathroom was large enough for both of us to get ready each morning, though there wasn't a tub in our room. Not a big problem for us but I noticed it had been mentioned in other postings so I figured I'd point that out. The service here is unbelieveable. They cleaned our room twice a day -- once in the morning, while we were at breakfast, and once while we were at dinner. It seemed a bit much but we weren't complaining. Also, they do bring you drinks while you're on the beach, but sometimes it's faster to just get it yourself. One day we went to one of the stores in town and loaded up on soda and other things so we didn't have to pay hotel prices for drinks and other things. Things can get awfully pricey here, so it may be worth your while to get the meal plan. After one night here, we decided to get the meal plan to cover breakfast and dinner the rest of our trip here, and it was a great decision. My husband got one meal that, between all the courses, would have cost $100 -- just for him. But under the meal plan it was covered. As for the food -- we loved it, didn't have a bad meal here. Their menu is varied and changes often (or at least it seemed that way). One night they had selections that included an Indian food station, which we found pretty impressive. There's no pool for guests to use, unless you pay to use the spa. But we hardly cared about that -- the beach was just steps from our room. We spent most of the day on the beach. You do have to get up early to make sure you get a cabana by your room, but if you don't get a cabana you can just pull up some lounge chairs -- there are plenty of those around. We pulled chairs under a tree and were just fine. We really loved our visit to Little Dix Bay and were sad to leave. We hope to make it back someday... it's truly a wonderful place."

• Travel date: 4th June 2005

Too darn expensive!

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"Don't get me wrong...it was paradise but it's way overpriced....there are places in the caribbean that you can find the same beauty and luxury for half the price/night......and I'm not a cheapo either....."

• Travel date: 25th April 2005

Loved it. Worth the money!

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"One of my favorite vacations. We originally had planned to stay at Long Bay Resort on Tortola. After a being there for 2 hours we hated it! The people were sooo RUDE! Cheryl the bartender at the pool was so pokey and rude. The staff did not want to be bothered. We had an Oceaview Deluxe. It was more of a shoe box and we were paying $350.00 a night. There were rust stains on the mini bar and the bathroom was so old. My friend wanted to get the heck out of there and we decided to leave and stay at Little Dix Bay Resort. What a difference! Bear in mind that BVI is expensive but at this point a couple of hundred dollars more a night was well worth it. They have their own private ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda. The staff was soo much nicer. We even got upgraded to a room right on the beach and it was not a shoe box. The beach is gorgeous. The water is not choppy. The food was delicious! They have a free beach drop off for the day, free water skiing. It was an excellent trip! I loved it!"

• Travel date: 23rd April 2005

What a beach, I loved it, just don't know if I can afford to go back!

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Ok this place was incredible. A beautiful resort for sure, it is just very, very expensive. That being said I can't imagine too many places being better, aside from saving a few hundred dollars a night. Pros: 1. Amazing beach. CRYSTAL CLEAR, calm, and very available. This is not a beach where you have to worry about some annoying cruise dumping out and disturbing your serenity. Plenty of beach loungers and covered huts with tables there for the most part. Check out the website you will see waht I mean about thier beach. 2. Beds - huge comfy with great sheets. 3. I liked the rooms, no TV, just a view of paradise outside your window. 4. Food, great but it was funny for me coming from NYC to think that even there food was pricey. The breakfast was superb, everything you could possibly want all you had to do was ask. Cons: 1. PRICE - premiun room, 825/night +17% fees. enough said. 2. Service, for every two fantastic people there, there was one I wanted to punch. At these prices the place should have 100% freindly staff. I had a few small complaints/concerns over my stay and not everyone was ready to over extend themselves to accomodate us. There were some great people there too, don't get me wrong, we just were a little annoyed at the bad ones. 3. Lots of kids everywhere, we were a younger couple, and saw maybe one other couple in our demographic that wasnt either over 50, or with little kids. That being said, the only time I really saw the kids were when we dined at LDB, for the most part they werent on the beach. They were at the pool though. Not too bad. Otherwise most other things were neither a pro or con, but somewhere inbetween. Lets see- there was some construction going on but it wasnt disturbing enough for me to complain, almost sounded like they were trying to hammer softly as to not disturb guests. Management sort of gave me the feeling they didn't care about the guests concerns once there because they know they will always be full because of the natural beauty and upkeep of property. There was nothing specific, just an impression I got. They had plenty of onsite activities to keep you busy. Tennis, snorkeling trips, movies, yoga, scuba clinics, sailing trips etc, the only time we left LDB was to check out the baths. A must, although very touristy and crowded. It was a great place for me and my girlfriend to detach and relax. The grounds and beach make the place. The beach was perfect to relax in the sun or the shade, and you cannot beat the water there. Theres no TV's there, not much to do but relax and enjoy the scenery. The rooms were all about the beds, very comfy, bathrooms were small. But everything was very very clean. It was just too damn expensive. That said Ill probably go back. Or maybe go to Cap Juluca, a lot of people on this site compare the 2 and the have said that Cap Juluca is exponentially better than LDB, I really can't imagine how that is possible, so I may have to check it out for myself, it may be perect if all these people keep comparing the two. It seems like people were a little too hard on LDB from other reviews I read. Maybe people like to complain when given a public forum, Im not sure. LDB: Very serene and beautiful, great beaches, beds and food. Just save up."

• Travel date: 1st April 2005

There are much better resorts than this!

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"Very disappointing! Although the beach is beautiful, the resort itself is not worth the money. Ugly rooms, uncomfortable furniture, horrible 40 year old bathroom, with no tub, a low ceiling, bad lighting. Mediocre food and service. Oh, by the way, major construction of villas happening right behind the resort, so don't go here unless you like to listen to construction noise while you're trying to sleep or relaxing on the beach."

• Travel date: 26th March 2005

Great Honeymoon at Little Dix!

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"My husband & I just spent our honeymoon at Little Dix Bay. It was beautiful! We had never been to the British Virgin Islands, but we are open-minded about international travel (you have to be to enjoy it, because every place is different). We frequently visit Mexico, which is known to be pretty rustic depending on where you go (we just got married in Cozumel - awesome!), and we found the B.V.I. to be sort of along those lines.........though Little Dix Bay is outstanding, and very up-to-date. The locals in the B.V.I. took me back a little b/c they are not overly friendly, but it is probably because the islands are small and there are many tourists there constantly. I didn't take it personally. The staff at the resort were more friendly than most, and accommodated most of what we asked for. I say most because A) you are on island time, so service can be slow, and B) we had to have the manager come to our room one night because we wanted a larger selection for dinner for room service than one small menue. They did accommodate us, but after a bit of demanding from us. We had just come from the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun on our way to the islands, and yes, the Ritz is the Ritz, and Little Dix Bay is different. I have read a lot of reviews where people are comparing different places and I don't necessarily think you can do that. Little Dix is top-notch in it's own right; it's in a beautiful part of the world, it's clean, beautifully landscaped and designed, and they will do what they can to make you happy. The beds are very comfortable, made up for you every day with clean sheets, turned down at night, and they give you more than enough towels, bringing clean ones in the evening when they check your room and turn down your bed. It's just a slower pace and not designed to necessarily have someone at your beckon call every minute of the day. That was ok with us, we loved it. The resort itself is absolutely gorgeous - lush plantings, gorgeous bay with crystal clear water & great snorkeling. The restaurants are open air and very beautiful at night with all the oil lamps. They have fun live Carribean music at night, which kind of wafts down the resort so you can hear it from your room, too. The food was exceptional - the conch soup delicious! It is a bit pricey, but we came prepared to live it up. We did dine out several nights as well, which was fun to get out, but the resort probably had the best food. We did do the dinner on the beach on our one week wedding anniversary, and it was very romantic and wonderful. We sat underneath the stars with the waves lapping our feet, and had a great meal. It was very private, and the waiter simply showed up with each entree and then left us alone. When we were done we simply headed back to our room. We stayed in an octagonal room towards the spa - it was spacious, very clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom was not huge but just fine. You are not on the beach, anywhere in the resort from what I could tell, but you have a beautiful view of the bay and it's easy access to walk down to the beach. This was not a negative to us, since we knew this ahead of time. I was curious about the rooms on stilts with the hammocks underneath - we did not request one of those, but I thought it looked like it would have been very cool - although I don't recall seeing anyone using the hammocks. One thing that surprised me greatly was the number of children - oh my gosh! I picked this destination for our honeymoon b/c I thought it would be an older/more couples kind of crowd. If you're looking for a family spot, this appears to be it! It really wasn't a big deal at all, except for occasionally at the pool when they were playing marco polo. There is only the one pool, though you can escape to the beach, it's nice to relax by the pool while sipping drinks and reading. Unfortunately, at times the kids were very distracting. Again, just surprised by this - it wasn't their fault. We utilized the spa one day which was wonderful, and enjoyed a beautiful sunset cruise, which I'd highly recommend. The air taxi service to/from Ft. Thomas was very nice - the pilots were exceptional in taking care of us. The view was incredible too, which made it really fun. We didn't want to leave, and I am missing it already. I'd definitely go back, maybe next time with friends. We'd probably do a little more exploring of the island, though the resort is extremely beautiful and relaxing, and it's just as nice to simply enjoy their amenities and stay put!"

• Travel date: 15th March 2005

Almost Heaven

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Overall, a very fine resort. But for the $$$$, it should be a touch better. Strengths: Beach (nice sand, clean, and not too crowded even at 90% capacity), spa (beautiful spot and great service), nice rooms with fabulous double chaise lounges on your private veranda. Great resort lay-out--rooms are spread out so you never feel crowded. Lovely landscaping. Needs Improving: Service (while most staff were friendly and helpful, there are a few bad apples). Why no "Do not distrub" signs for doorhandles? The maid service always came at a bad time. Management needs to coach housekeeping to not congregate and chit chat outside of guest rooms in the mornings--we were awakened 3 mornings by this. Suggestions: they should have one casual dining restaurant, and they could try to better coordinate guests by putting families with kids in the same areas (so that those of us traveling sans kids don't get woken up at 6 am by screaming babies). If you go: 1) if you plan to rent a power boat, do so ahead of time--they sell out. 2) if you go to The Baths (famous tourist spot) find out when the cruiseships land to avoid the crowds (when we got there, a cruiseship had just landed--and we were scared off by the 1,000 tourists). 3) if you plan to get a couples massage (recommended!) don't book it later than 6 PM--or else they kinda rush you out (they close at 8 PM and it's a shame to miss the access to the private whirlpool in the couples massage room -- it overlooks the water)."

• Travel date: 1st March 2005

The Grandaddy of all beach resorts

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"I have been going to Little Dix for 31 years now. It has been, is and probably always will be my favorite resort of its kind. While the resort has gone through various owners over the years, and regulars initially bemoaned the fact when Laurence Rockefeller sold it, it still remains my personal favorite. Many of the staff have been there since I first went there at age 8 with my parents. Now we go twice yearly with our 3 year old daughter. The Children's Grove is wonderful for our little girl, the casual elegance beats all other resorts in the region, the food is better than ever, and the setting is simply wonderful. We have been to several so-called competitors over the years and none compare. I find the references to Cap Juluca amusing as we found it sterile, trendy and not at all comparable to Little Dix. I have only had one major confrontation witha rude staff memebr at any resort over the last few years and that occured at Cap Juluca. To their credit, I did get an apologetic phone call from the G.M. after our stay. We will not likely go back, however. With an option like LDB, there is really nothing else like it."

• Travel date: 8th February 2005

Hotels near Rosewood Little Dix Bay

Rosewood Little Dix Bay is also called

• Little Dix Bay Hotel
  • little dix bay
  • rosewood little dix bay hotel