This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near The Tamarind Club

"drop-in" dining/bar review

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"We (4 adults)dropped in to visit the bar at the Tamarind Club on May 15,2006. Our friend had the "Drinking Man's Guide to the BVI's" book, and the Tamarind was in it. We were staying in Cane Garden Bay, but had rented a car for the day, to drive around the island.
We first visited Josiah's Bay beach, which was very beautiful. We didn't swim there, but I understand that there can be some undertow. Nice waves. One surfer was out there.
We left Josiah's Bay beach and drove around to the Tamarind. Walked into the bar, and ordered drinks and appetizers. My friend got a free drink because there is a coupon in the book. Food and drink were excellent. Great shrimp and corn fritters, and fried green tomatoes! The owner was there with his dogs. Talked with us about the dogs and the resort. Two of his dogs had been "island" dogs that had some major health problems. He "rescued" them and got them veterinary care. He showed us one of the rooms. It was garden level, right off the pool. Comfortable sitting area and bedroom. The pool had a "swim-up" area to the bar, and the bar/restaurant area next to the pool was very nice. Bartender was very friendly also.
We had a great time there!"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of June 2006

Great place!

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Tamarind Club for one night on our way from New York to Anegada. We were exhausted when we arrived and it was absolutely wonderful to check in there at the bar and get handed a great big rum drink that totally relaxed us. We had the Honeymoon Suite and it was GREAT. My sister lived in Puerto Rico for 20 years and our room felt like a typical Caribbean house, not a sealed-up hotel room. Very nicely decorated and clean and the decor really had personality. We loved that. We also had our own large patio.

As for bugs: yes you get bugs but in the islands they're part of the eco-system and they are NOT harmful, not even the scorpions or tarantulas. We didn't encounter any at the Tamarind Club but we've encountered them at other places in the Caribbean and they're not harmful. All those cute birds that hover around so pleasantly have to eat something! And the bugs do eat the mosquitos. Sometimes I can't believe that we Americans are so freaked out by bugs when we're there and then at home we scream about saving the environment and not using pesticides. This IS THE ENVIRONMENT in the Caribbean! All you need to do is go online and do a little research and you'll find out that bugs are good and in this part of the world they don't hurt you.

Anyway the food was wonderful at the Tamarind Club and the next morning I got up early and did water aerobics in their great pool which had a large deep section. The staff and owners are wonderful and helpful and we also loved Dalton. What a great waiter and what a great and cheerful attitude he had. It takes a while to relax when you first get to the islands from New York and he was so great, reminding us we were in the islands listening to Bob Marley and it doesn't get better than that. Thank you Dalton!

We also loved it that there were guests from several countries such as Canada and the UK. It's so nice and enjoyable to mingle with people from other places.

Anyway, we had a perfect first night of our vacation at the Tamarind Club and we will definitely stay there again. Great place, great value."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of March 2006

Homey club grows on you.

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"The only hotel of merit in little Josiah's Bay on the north side of the island. Was concerned about too much activity by the poolside room, but never became a problem. Room was simple but clean and TV never worked, but who cares anyway. Staff is available and helpful when needed and low key attitude makes it a restful retreat. It's a bit of a walk to the beach but you couldn't ask for a nicer one; complete with enough surf for boarding if you're so inclined. The restaurant was quite commendable and the Wedneday night Barbecue had the best ribs and baked beans we ever had; also don't forget the seared tuna appetizer. Would definitely recommend this hotel unless extra luxury is a requirement."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of March 2006

Really Enjoyed Our Stay - A few warnings though

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My husband & I stayed for 7 nights at the wonderful Tamarind Club in mid-February. The owners & staff were exceptional! Everything was EXTREMELY laid back as a vacation should be. We had a poolside room that was very nice. Everyone you encounter is friendly and warm. Dalton, the daytime bartender is one of the best bartenders on the island - just ask him!

We really enjoyed being around the pool at night with a drink looking at the stars. The owners have several really cute dogs that made us miss our own during our stay. There were 2 nights with live entertainment and dancing which was fun....both nights the music ended around 10:30pm.

As much as we enjoyed our stay and would HIGHLY recommend the Tamarind, there are a few precautions that should be noted. 1) A rental car/jeep is necessary to get around the island. A good driving attitude is needed too because the roads are at pretty unbelievable angles. You have to look out for all of the local livestock too. 2) Roosters - they crow all day and all night. Earplugs would be a good idea if you are a light sleeper. 3) Bugs - be forewarned, mosquitos look for fresh meat and will eat you alive if you don't cover up or use spray. The Tamarind has OFF at the bar - use it!! 4) Spiders, scorpians, lizards and the like...we had a tarantula in our room and were told they were harmless as they help keep the mosquito population down. After seeing the spider, I couldn't sleep the remainder of the week. We were also warned to shake out our clothes because of scorpians. Okay....now you are warned!

We have visited several Caribbean islands and Tortola definitely has its pros & cons. The beaches and views from the mountaintops are fabulous, but you feel as though you will need a chiropractor after driving around visiting all of them as we did. The weather was outstanding, the people were SO nice. We took the ferries to JVD and Virgin Gorda for a day each. We took a daysail on the White Squall II, which was a lot of fun, but not recommended it you have any motion sickness. Best food was at Tamarind and also Coco Plum. The ribs at Fat Hog Bobs were really good too. It was very hard to find an inexpensive option for dining out. US cell phones do not work there and there are frequent power outages. There was no power on the entire island for one full day during our stay.

Josiah's Bay Beach is lovely to visit, but during the week we were there, a woman drowned due to the undertow. We were also warned about Lamberts Bay Beach - lots of fun waves but not unless you are a good swimmer. Our favorite beach was Long Bay Beach next to the airport, our least favorite was Cane Garden Bay...too crowded with the cruise ship sort. Couldn't understand the hype about Smugglers Cove.

My husband is an avid snorkeler and really didn't find much on Tortola. The best snorkeling was at Norman Island and around the Indians (on the daysail).

One final note, there are no door locks on the rooms at the Tamarind. My husband is in the security business and normally, this would freak him out, but he never said a word We felt as though we were staying at a friends lovely home and never gave it a thought!"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of March 2006

The Best Ever

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Tamarind for two nights Dec 26 & 27. I just can’t say enough great things about the place. The People, the food, the drinks, it was the most relaxed I have been in years. This place was like visiting your favorite relative’s home. We have so many great stories to tell just after two days, but that would take too long. I am sure if you decide to stay that you will also have many fun stories to tell. We want to thank the staff and the owners for the best time we have had in years. By the way this is the only review I have ever taken the time write, this place is well worth every dime we spent."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of January 2006

Charming end to a great trip!

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"I loved my experience at the Tamarind Club! The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. It was a great place to end my vacation since I had an early flight out of Tortola (only 10 minutes to the airport). The food at the restaurant was fantastic and the bar was lively even on a Sunday night. Any hotel that checks you in at the bar is my kind of place! The rooms aren't anything fancy but they are clean and well cared for. I would definitely stay there again on my next trip through Tortola."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of December 2005

Excellent Hospitality and Dining

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"This hotel ishidden by a long driveway off the main road into the forest. The road end of the drive is a put-off, but don't be. The hotel itself was charming and exceedingly friendly from the start, arriving after a sailing charter. The avg $1125 rate shown here is way off, more like US $145.

Guests arrive at an open air patio w/bar.The rooms were clean & comfortable.We had the lowest end of their rates, the Garden Poolside (1st floor), at US $120. Dining was on the same patio, set with 10-15 tables and a very fine, budding gourmet chef. The chef met everyone during dinner, and was genuinely concerned to please his guests.

We plan to stay again on the backend of our upcoming charter. it is a great location to begin or end a charter from Beef Is. Airport.

I also recommend Mike's Taxi Service, Mike is a gem, and can be contacted on his cell at 284 496 0959. He is cheerful and friendly, and was early for a 5 am departure to Beef Is airport - does not get better than that!"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of December 2005

Nov. visit 2005

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"For several years running, my wife and I have ended our bare boat chartering vacation with a last night stop at the Tamarind Club on Tortola, BVI. It was one of our favorite spots because it is in a beautifull setting, the accomodations romantic, the service impeccable and the food excellant. The ownership has changed and while they have made significant improvements in the physical aspects of the resort, they have fallen well short in other areas. What was once a tranquil, most relaxing environment, has now fallen prey to a bar fest with intolerably loud music and revelry. To top it off, what was once a gourmet experience is now a common BBQ. The six people in our party had an early morning flight and didn't get a wink of sleep. We hope the owners will soon choose between providing a first class resort experience or operating a PUB."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of December 2005

Oh, the food!!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"The food is simply great. Room was basic, clean, not luxury. First impression sucks because you pretty much get dropped off in a cow pasture. But once you drop your bags in your room, don your suit, and swim up to the bar, you'll be rethinking your first impression. View is nothing spectacular, beach is wonderful but a fair walk. Other reviewers have mentioned noise - it's a small place all circled around the pool, so if other guests wanted to be boisterous I can see how that would be a problem, but it wasn't for us.

Overall, not the luxury for a honeymoon but for a little R&R after sailing with great food on the premises, it's just what the doctor ordered."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of August 2005