Good

Wedding of our DREAMS

Reviewed Fri 8th of March 2013

"Cate and the gang at Surfsong made our wedding a DREAM.... I would recommend it to anyone thinking of getting married in the Islands! They took care of everything... from the food (which is fantastic), to ordering the cake, to coordinating the hair dresser, ordering the beautiful flowers, coordinated with the photographers, serving the champagne, to helping us do all the paper work for the Marriage Certificate in Road Town. One other very imortant thing to us was that they didn't bug us about payments on our special day. We didn't have to worry about a thing. Everyone we talked to on Tortola said that Surfsong is definately the BEST place to have your wedding... the staff is very friendly and honest. I do not regret a thing about our special day and I could not have asked for more! Every bride should have an experience like I had at Surfsong!"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of August 2009

Absolutely only resort you want to stay at in Tortola

Reviewed Wed 6th of March 2013

"My wife & I went to Tortola on our honeymoon and decided to stay at Surfsong to treat ourselves. This was absolutely the right decision. Cate & the gang at Surfsong are helpful with any and all you need to know on the island. Our room was beautiful and the location is very secluded from the other resorts (the other resorts, by the way, are very old and dated). Surfsong has an entire beach to yourself...this was the perfect honeymoon!

If you are looking for a relaxing, secluded vacation/honeymoon then go to Surfsong. My wife and I will be going back in a few years to celebrate our anniversary."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of July 2009

Surfsong is THE place to stay in Tortola

Reviewed Mon 11th of February 2013

"If I could describe paradise, it would be Surfsong Villa Resort. You can't go wrong staying in any of the gorgeous villas. Each one is unique, comfortable and beautifully decorated. The staff are all incredibly friendly and there is nothing they can't provide for you; a romantic dinner at your villa, a massage on the beach, a private yoga class, plans for snorkeling or swimming with dolphins...you tell them what you want and they take care of all the details. The location is private and exclusive while still being accessible to every local adventure. I loved every second I spent there. This is a place that isn't over-run by tourists and noise. This is where you go to get away from all that."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of February 2009

Perfect Honeymoon!

Good
Reviewed Thu 7th of February 2013

"My husband and I were looking for a secluded resort for our honeymoon and came across SurfSong online. When I researched the resort a little bit further on Trip Advisor, I did not find any negative comments about the place. We called and spoke to Michelle and decided that this was the place for us to spend our honeymoon. Michelle was great when we originally talked to her on the phone and even once we were at the resort. She is extremely knowledgeable about the entire island, and surrounding islands, and made our stay very enjoyable! The owners, Cate and Mark, were also extremely helpful with advice and answers our questions.

We stayed at the Surfside villa - the one bedroom villa. The inside of the villa is beautiful! Tile floors, stainless steal kitchen appliances, wood ceilings, canopy bed, and an amazing bathroom with a huge walk-in shower. Of course the best part of the villa is the view. The living room and bedroom offer incredible views of the ocean and islands! These views could also be enjoyed from the paito which is just steps from the water!

Michele and Cate were able to recommend some excellent beaches to us. We visited Long Bay Beach - right down the street from the resort. When we went we were the only ones on the beach. Josiah's Bay was a fun beach to watch surfers and there is a bar that offers food and drinks. Brewer's Bay is a bit more of a drive, but also very secluded - good for swimming. Well Bay is the beach that is a short walk from the villa - not a very big beach, but good for swimming. Our favorite beach was Little Bay Beach - there is a very steep dirt road to this beach, but it is worth it once you get down there! We had the beach completely to oursleves and it is gorgeous!

We had some amazing dinners while at Tortola/Beef Island. The Dove is a must! Excellent food and atmosphere. Secret Garden and the Sugar Mill were very good also! We went to The Last Resort two times during our stay, both time on Friday night because of the live entertainment on that night. Simon cooked us a few dinners at our villa...he is amazing! We loved everything he made for us! Oh...and Bananakeet is a must for the sunset! The only bad meal we had was at Kang Ming (the Chinese restaraunt)...awful, awful food!

We charted a boat for a day with Captain Roy who took us snorkling at Norman Island and Peter Island. He is exteremly knowledgeable of all the different sea creatures. If you are looking at doing something like this I would highly recommend him! Just ask Cate or Michelle about him and they will set it up for you.

That is the thing we loved about Surf Song. You can be as independant as you want or you can stop by everyday to ask Cate, Michelle or Mark questions. You can take it easy everyday or have them set up activities for you every day. The resort was very quite and most of the time we felt like we were the only people there even though they were fully booked. I think there are only 4 villas in the resort and they are currently building at least one more. You can sit on your patio and enjoy the views or walk down to the beach for some sun and a swim. You can relax and read a book under the pavillion on the beach or have a massage on the upper deck of the pavillion.

We had rented a car, so by the end of our stay we had pretty much made it around the entire island and did not see any other place that we would rather have stayed than SurfSong! And we would definitely go back again and again!"

• Travel date: Tue 18th of November 2008

Beautiful with top-notch service! Could not ask for more!

Reviewed Mon 14th of January 2013

"It is very hard to put in words how wonderful our vacation at Surfsong was last week. We were there for an extended family vacation to celebrate my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary, and we rented the entire resort. There were 12 of us total (9 adults, and my 3 kids - 5 yrs, 2.5 yrs, 1 yr). For the adults, there were basically 4 couples and 1 single ranging from 60+ to age 22.

Honestly, it does look like the pictures on the website and even better when you are standing there amongst the ocean, trees, boulders, flowers. It's just amazing, and I truly have been missing it for the last 3 days that I've been back home. It truly is a serene, secluded spot. The proximity to the airport is great for commuting to and from, but it is not too close to the airport to put a damper on the vacation. The only times I noticed that the airport was even close was for the brief moments that you might see and hear planes come in over the water at the swimming beach. And, that was pretty neat to see, as it looks like they will land in the ocean.

Where to begin to tell you the good stuff is hard, but here's a list of all of the wonderful things Surfsong has to offer and what we enjoyed:

- Beautiful, prime location amongst nature
- Beach/coast is right there, can here the ocean from your villa, beautiful scenery
- Service from staff amazing (see notes below)
- Swimming beach entry within ~100 yards
- Villas were in wonderful condition - no complaints at all about accommodations - A/C in bedrooms made it totally comfortable for sleeping at night
- We had our villa pre-stocked with what we wanted so we didn't have to go to store. (For me, I do enough grocery shopping at home, I didn't want to go on my vacation.)
- Nice, privately-catered meal in courtyard to celebrate 40th anniversary - meal was fantastic that chef made
- Loved that things came to us - just made it more convenient (for instance, rental car delivered to resort for you, if want to do spa treatments - it is done at the resort (your villa or at the beach lounge),
- A lot of activities were invoiced to the resort, so it was easy to pay all at once at the end.
- A true "resort "when it comes to luxury, surroundings, and service -- not a busy, commercial "resort" -- so perfect for us!

Service from the owners and staff at Surfsong was incredible. I can honestly say that there were no hiccups in the planning of the trip ahead of time and once we were there. The staff worked with me to plan activities ahead of time for the entire group. Anything that we wanted to do was doable. They made fantastic suggestions, and we took their advice, and I'm so glad that we did. They arranged all of the details and made reservations for everything. Also, when it came time for simple restaurant suggestions for dinner, they were fantastic. All of the places we went to were great and we got a variation of meals to get a real flavor of the island (Myett's great lunch beach place, De Loose Mongoose - good beach BBQ place with music - kids loved dancing there, The Last Resort - great ambience & quick water taxi ride to it - fantastic band played here; Oscar's - nice restaurant on west side of island, couples went out to dinner to different restaurants one night and all liked their places - Secret Garden, The Dove, Brandy Wine.) The staff did anything that we ever asked of them plus more.

Surfsong was really perfect for all ages. Our kids really enjoyed it as well. My 5 yr-old could not stop talking about it to friends and teachers after we returned. They really enjoyed the boulders, seashells, and hermit crabs on the property. Catching sea snails, seeing fish, and even a sting ray at the beach was lots of fun for them. Also, there was a high chair & pack-n-play available for rental, so it was easy with our 1 yr old. The staff was great with respect to treating the kids well. My older two really enjoyed it when the Michelle or Cate let them feed the hermit crabs the leftover coffee grinds.

I see how Surfsong can be truly versatile with respect to which type of vacation is desired. It was fantastic for a large family vacation, and I expect it's great for reunions or weddings. Having full reign of the place was nice!!! I can see how it would be very nice and romantic for a single couple to rent a villa there. And, for a family with kids, it was great. I am seriously considering returning next year -- my husband, me, the kids, and taking my mom so she can enjoy it as well.

I do not have a single disappointing moment from the trip. I just can’t say enough wonderful things about Surfsong and the Surfsong crew. Cate and Mark, the owners, should be very proud of the resort and people that are working at the resort. They truly have done a fantastic job of providing beautiful accommodations with an extremely high level of service!

I just wish I had stayed longer - 8 nights wasn't enough! Surfsong had everything we wanted and more!

By the way, Tortola is a beautiful island. I wasn't sure how lush & mountainous the island was going to be, but it was extremely lush & mountainous. We picked that island because of the resort, so I didn't have much of a feel for what Tortola would look like. It was absolutely beautiful. Not a busy island. Laid back and everything we wanted in our island vacation, mostly due to Surfsong."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of May 2008

Perfection!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Taken from a letter to Mark and Cate, Owners and terrific hosts of Surfsong Villa and Resort after our last stay at Surfsong (We have vacationed there 3 times in 1 1/2 years)---

Hello All—Cate, Mark, Michelle and Sara!!

I must say that we are having serious withdrawals since being back from Paradise.

Any doubt (and there was little) that we had going into our trip about whether SurfSong is the PERFECT vacation spot has been put to rest! Our vacation was PERFECT in every way. From the continued approach of distinctively friendly and personalized service(Michelle and Sara you are the BEST!), the location of your resort (Beautiful Villas on the Ocean's edge!!), the relationships you have developed outside the resort (Gregory in JVD, Cab Drivers, Lee and Roy, etc), the beauty, tranquility, and overall “vibe” of the BVI, the weather, and of course our hosts; Cate, Mark and Healey.

Perfect or Perfection are words I use all the time when describing to my managers what we need to strive for in order to continue to build our success. I now use these words when describing SurfSong.

Our best to all of you!!

J&K

To the readers of this review, I do have one caution before vacationing at Surfsong...... Be very careful staying more than one week. My experience has been any more than one week and you fall so hard into "Island time" you start contemplating how you can make it your permanent home instead of a vacation getaway! (Seriously, if you can arrange to spend two weeks, do it! It is worth EVERY hard earned dollar!)

Other helpful tips.......
Make an effort to go to Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke. Both are unforgetable day trips that I would do every visit!

Eat at least one lunch at the Cyber Cafe in Trellis Bay, they have the best Mahi sandwiches in the world!

Eat one dinner at the Secret Garden near Josiah's Bay, everything is great on the menu and don't forget to have some wonderful banana rum!

If you love ribs, try Fat Hog Bob's!

All the beaches are absolutely fantastic but our favorites are: Josiah's Bay (great waves and you can count the people sunning themselves on one hand some days), Brewer's Bay (great snorkeling!!), Smuggler's Cove (a little tough to get to but well worth it! Incredible Sunsets!!), and of course Well Bay (located on the resort).

We have stayed in two of the villas, Driftwood (2 times) and Seascape (once). Both are literally steps from the ocean's edge and are nicely decorated, with views of the ocean from every window.... highly recommended!

I can't wait to share the experience with my children next year!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of April 2008

It was the perfect place for our wedding!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Me and my wife were married on the beach at Surfsong. We wanted everything to be as intimate as possible, which it was. The staff made sure that everything was just perfect and went as smoothly as possible. We both look forward to our return visits in the near future."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of March 2008

The Perfect Place

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My Girlfriend and I recently returned from the perfect holiday. Our stay was a week on Tortola Island at SurfSong. As an airline pilot I have been blessed to stay at some fantastic places globally. Surfsong however ranks at the top of my list. The owners Mark and Cate along with their staff provided the highest level of hospitality & personal service. Our stay was in "Treehouse". Although only a short walk to the central area, nestled among the trees gave us the feeling of total seclusion and privacy.

We enjoyed both their private beach on quiet days and also took advantage of the natural beauty the islands have to offer. The waters are all crystal clear with a wild array of colorful (and harmless) fish, which provided us ours of snorkeling. We also spent a day enjoying the Surf at a slightly more popular beach on the otherside of the island. We expressed interest in a couple other island attractions (The Baths on Virgin Gorda and the coral reefs on Anega), and the staff arranged everything! Everything was just so easy - exactly what a holiday should be!

If you're looking for the perfect place to relax and get lost in tranquility (with the option for some great day trips!), then you won't be disappointed with Surfsong. The staff are great, the hospitality is incredible, and the location can't be beat!"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008

Surfsong - a private, relaxing, & beautiful find.

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed in the Surfsong "Treehouse" villa for a week on our honeymoon. This studio villa is hidden away up on the rocks. I loved that it was so beautifully furnished, private, and quiet! The other three villas on the property are located on the beach. The beach lounge common area has a yoga/massage studio above it. Although this resort is located on Beef Island a bit away from the more populated parts of Tortola, it was nice to retreat to this serene atmosphere after being out adventuring all day across the island. The owners Cate and Mark were full of suggestions and made sure we had all we needed. The private and beautiful Surfsong was the ideal choice for our honeymoon."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2007

Wedding Bliss in Tortola

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We couldn't have asked for a more perfect wedding and honeymoon. I found Surfsong by just trial and error on the internet. Our hosts Cate and Mark were so accommodating. As well as their lovely dog Healey who loves to swim with the guests. Very very personal service and they just went out of their way to make our stay perfect.
Surfsong is small, only 4 villas total. It was just the right size for all of our friends and family that attended. All villas are nicely designed and furnished ranging from a small cottage nestled in the boulders and trees, to 2 bedrooms with the sound of the waves breaking nearby.
The hermit crabs and small lizards are everywhere and are a delight to watch.
Our wedding on the beach was flawless even with the short rainfall. Knowing that on the BVI everyone must collect rainwater for drinking, showering, cooking, etc., it didn't bother us at all. Our wedding canopy with the sea shells was simply elegant right down to the shells and greenery and flowers on our dinner table. The caterer that Cate assigned us did a fabulous job and the food was delicious for every catered meal.
We had a private plane ride by Mark to Anegada on our honeymoon. How great was that. My husband even got to get a quick flying lesson before landing on the sparse coral atoll. We felt like we were on our own private island.
Everything that we did was easily arranged by our hosts. It made everything a breeze. Just the way it should be on your wedding and honeymoon. Totally stress free!
I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for seclusion, serenity, intimacy and tranquility."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of June 2006