Great Place to Chill

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"After a week on a bareboat (sunsail) we knew we would not be ready for a return to the real world. Myett's is the perfect place to linger a few extra days in the BVI. The best place to stay in Cane Garden Bay

We were in the new building. They now have six rooms. Our room was enormous, nicely furnished, clean and quiet.

The restaraunt is terriffic.

Live music nightly. June is the off season so crowds are small but the music is still good.

The west end of the bay has a good snorkeling reef you can swim to from the beach. One of the best we've seen in BVI or USVI this year or last.

The people at Cane Garden Bay are very friendly and the hotel staff are great. Don't bother you unless you need something.

The gardens are beautiful. Our second floor room was like staying in a tree house.

Val and Kareem run a wonderful place."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

Ideal place to stay in Cane Garden Bay

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"My husband and were the first people to stay in one of the three new 2 queen size bed units at the Myett Garden Inn. We loved staying there since It is right on the very pretty beach - Cane Garden Bay. We had been on a boat charter for a week and it was a nice, relaxing way to end our trip.
The room was huge, the a/c worked great, and the beds were comfortable. Tthe place is furnished with fancy furniture, accessories, and nice quality bedspreads. A bottle of rum, water, cokes, milk, and coffee were supplied free of charge.
The first night a band played and we were able to walk out our door on the balcony above them and snack on take out food from the restaurant.
The restaurant was below our room and the music was somewhat loud the second night.and was lowered. The restaurant has a varied menu which is no more expensive than the other restaurants on the beach which are not as nice. The food is all good.
Val, Thank your husband for working late to get our room ready for us to stay on Easter.! We enjoyed staying with you and hope to stay with you again.
Pam & Oscar- Salem, SC"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of April 2007

Great Time

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We have traveled all over the Caribbean and we loved Myetts as well as Cane Garden Bay. This is the real islands, nice people, water and local music. We met a lot of nice people especially when Kapeye plays at Myetts for happy hour. Good food at a few different places and a nice beach. Go and enjoy a great time in Tortola. Thanks to Val and Linda for a great stay. Chris& Peggy from Boston"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of April 2007

Exceeded my expectations!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We stayed at Myett's for two nights at the end of a seven night sailing trip and loved it! The service was excellent! Everyone was very kind and helpful. The food was very good - they have a large outdoor grill and display all of the food they have to grill for your inspection. Lively and beautiful bar and dining area with excellent drinks all made by hand (no mixes!). Breakfast service doesn't start until 9am but there's a small restaurant a few steps down the beach that's open early for people headed to the airport. No need to repeat the room description - we were delighted with such a large room after being on a boat for a week. Lovely spot, beautiful beach, fabulous island atmosphere, great food and drinks, excellent service. . . the place to stay!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 16th of January 2007

Cane Garden Bay...aaah feel the stress melt away!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I visited Myett's on Cane Garden Bay in April 2006. The hotel is not one of the glitzy, completely snobby type that you typically find on islands. That's why I feel compelled to write this review and hopefully, get others to enjoy the gem I found! If you are looking for an island atmosphere filled with beautiful sunsets, friendly people, good food and drinks and total serenity, come to CGB and Myett's. The water was spectacular and my kids were able to swim without me being petrified that they were in too deep or the waves were too rough, as there were barely any. The grille serves a multitude of goodies and the portions are large. It is a bit more expensive than others on the beach but no more than I'd expect to pay back home in Northern Jersey. Oh, and down the beach a bit is some more economical choices if you are looking; there's also some FABULOUS banana dacquiri's about 4 buiildings down. Can't remember the name of it but it is an open deck restaurant with a bar (older wood) in the middle.The palm frond lined perimeter of Myett's Grille really adds to the ambience; you feel as though you're on a secluded island. I traveled with my disabled mom and two children, ages 12 & 9 and they truly enjoyed themselves as well. CGB was not overly crowded while I was there in early April; there's vendors selling local items at the edge of the beach BUT they do not bother you like in some islands. During my lounging on the beach I began speaking to a woman, Elizabeth, originally from Philadelphia, that moved to Tortola with her husband and sells refreshments at the edge of the beach near Myetts as well being a caretaker of cottages a bit up the beach; ah, now I think I could get used to that lifestyle, lol! I can not wait to get back to CGB and Myett's; my only convincing will be to my spouse as he is usually more into those luxury hotels with people serving you night and day (OK, selling you stuff like massages and speacilty face creams) but, if peace, solitude and stress relief are what you're after...a stay at CGB is all that is needed! Let's put it this way, I have a miniature beach on my desk at the office..you know they sell them at the shore shops in NJ--well on my umbrella, I wrote "Myett's-Cane Garden Bay" & at any time during my stressful daily life I can look down, play with the sand, miniature beach ball and flip flops & just remember the spectacular vacation I spent in CGB!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

Best on the Bay

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"This is about the "Grille", not the accommodations. The Grille is a joy.

As a wise poet of our time has writ: "Things get better, they say, as soon as you sail into Cane Garden Bay". He must have landed and strolled right into Myett's.

Your best dinner experience starts with the gem of the place, who is Liz, the lithe, lovely hostess. She is welcoming, and inquires if you have been there before. If met with a "no", she graciously shows you the actual grill, where you meet the chef who prepares the variety of food surrounding him.

This is a place that has menus, but also flexibility. Ask for a combination not on the fare and you are met with "no problem".

The pace is measured, which could be called "slow" according to standards of city folk from the Northeast. The waitress responds if you tell her you are in a hurry, but I cannot understand why anyone would be if they were on the Island. The place is on "Island Time" and you should be too.

Drinks are wonderful and plentiful. Others may have invented such things as killers-of-pain, but this bartender will give you one to remember.

Note to "Yachties": if you want fast service, with mediocre food, go next door to the big place named after the owner. If you want a wonderful dinner, come here. We went there and were treated like (expletive deleted), even in the low season. But, this is not a review of where NOT to eat, it is a suggestion of where TO eat.

Waitresses are accommodating and excellent at everything except mind-reading. They are wonderful. We observed someone treating them poorly, and then being upset when their service was poor. You get what you give.

At some point, the hostess will check on you, and is serious about making sure your dinner and drinks meet your expectations. This is something we have found only rarely in our travels, and it is remarkable.

Appetizers aren't needed, given the size of the portions, but I recommend their conch fritters over any others on the Beach.

Entrees may look limited, but only if you have not read my second paragraph. Everything is fresh, and you can even walk to the grill and point out the item you wish.

Never had dessert, because portions were plentiful, but also because I'm not a dessert person.

Location is wonderful. Ambiance is "Island", but refined. (Much more so than the other dining options on CGB.) Nice palm fronds line the outside, and keep out rain should it fall during your meal. There is a special table to the right of the entertainment that can be requested, but is kept for those who deserve it based on how nicely they ask (and not by how much they palm the hostess).

Entertainment is entertaining, if that's not redundant. If loudness bothers you, just tell Liz. She'll take care of you.

For the best place on The Bay, go to Myett's. Go early in your stay, and I guarantee you Liz will remember you and your preferences.

They include the gratuity in the bill, but I think you'll find, as I did, that it is not enough for what you get.

We only ate there because it was the best. You should too."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of July 2006

Be Aware Before You Go!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We just returned from 10 days in Tortola. Myetts Hotel was reasonably priced, clean, good food, and in the middle of a beautiful beach. There was good snorkeling a few yards down the beach.(Coral reef in one direction, sunken barge in another.) It is one of 3-4 hotels & restaurants in that area. There was live music every night in one or more of the restaurants. Quito Rhymer(Quitos) is very popular with locals and tourists. Many tourists were on boats and would harbor for dinner and music, then leave.
We were under the assumption that it would be easy to visit other parts of the island and take ferries to the other British Virgin islands. We decided against renting a car, because of the price and the fact that most of the roads are windy one lane, people drive on very fast on left. We quickly found that taxis were exhorbitant for tourists. We were charged $40.00 round trip for a 9 minute ride to the next beach. It was also $40.00 into Roadtown(RT). We realized the taxi charge, ferry charge, and taxi to destination on other island was very expensive. In retrospect, I would have stayed 3 nights there, Virgin Gorda and St. John."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of July 2006

Great location, nice room

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We stayed at Myett's in the beachfront room from May 30 - June 6. The location at Cane Garden Bay can't be beat; there are several restaurants and bars right next to Myett's on the beach and in the off-season (anytime after April) the beach isn't crowded at all.

Our room had a large private patio with a partial water view - the palms and trees obstructed a full view but that's part of the charm of Myett's, the way it's nestled in the palms, almost ouf of sight from the beach. The patio had two chaise lounges, a couple of chairs and a table and we spent several nights out here listening to the music below from the bar. From the patio french doors open into the room, which was spacious and clean and included a king bed, a microwave, a sink, a coffeemaker, a decent sized fridge, alarm clock, cd player, sofa, table and chairs and a good sized closet along with a bureau and two end tables. The room was airconditioned and also had a ceiling fan for people who don't like a/c. The beachfront room has a shower only but my understanding is that the other two rooms have a full bath. Those two rooms have their balcony over the entrance area to the restaurant from the street; I wouln't trade the privacy of the beachfront balcony for the full tub!

Myett's has jeeps available to rent, a must to see the whole island, and also has an internet center for their guests - though I was charged $10 for using it and they didn't post that policy anywhere in advance. The food was great, but don't limit yourself to Myett's as there are so many other good options nearby and Myett's is among the pricier choices at CGB. Be sure to try the Elms Friday night barbeque; I think that was my favorite meal of the week and a great price too! I was a little worried that it might be noisy staying on CGB, but once the door was closed and the a/c was on, we didn't hear a thing - except for the roosters every morning!"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of June 2006

Excellent place to stay and to enjoy

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We were very fortunate to find reviews of Myett's as it is not as advertised as the big resorts are. Myett's is in an excellent location - Cane Garden Bay, amidst other restaurants and bars, and a short water taxi to Jost Van Dyke. The owners and the staff are all wonderful! The rooms are very ample - we stayed in room # 1 facing the beach, very quiet and relaxing. We were there in May, 2005 and it was low-season. We had the beach all to ourselves for an entire week in fact!
Highly recommend staying here, and the restaurant is great and the happy hours are entertaining with good music. Stanley's "Cheeseburger in Paradise" is right next door, and lighter and more economical fare and drinks can be had there. But Myett's is reasonably priced as well and a great staff seves excellent dinners. And you will find other bars/restaurants just a few steps away.
Nice quiet location to let the sand gravity pull the stresses from your body, yet plenty of entertainment if you want it. Small grocery store out back, taxi or rental can be easily obtained through Myett's for seeing the other beaches. But enjoy CJB for the water and the variety of people it calls to."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of December 2005