The main pool

• babysitting
  • diving

Thank-You to the Peter Island staff

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"My husband and I visited Peter Island July 10 to July 17, 2004. We would like to add to the reviews of Peter Island as "excellent". We were seeking a place to have some privacy and be pampered. We left with a great tan and ready to get back to work and plan our next trip to this Island. To The Staff of Peter Island: Sandra G. (General Manager): Thanks for being "everywhere". I might also note that check-in time is 3:00pm and we arrived early at 12:00pm and you immediatly had us sitting on the Deadman's Beach with the only problem to consider was with what to eat. Mr. Hugh "Bengi" Benjamin is the man to introduce new guest to the Island. Sir you made us feel safe and welcome. Jennifer, Candace, Claudette, Sheila, Arlene, Mo, John, Maxine and Melanie, you are a credit to the comfort and carefree time of the Peter Island guest. Your work preparing and serving meals was with always with a smile. The staff, who I did not get names (housekeeping and transportation), respected our privacy as well as taking care of the chores of everyday life. Jean "mothers all diners" and is the gem of Peter Island. You go girl. I and the other reviewers need to get together and get you a BIG raise. Thank-You all for making this trip so comfortable. You have a difficult job keeping everyone happy. On the day we departed Peter Island we talked with arriving guest that were on their 6th visit to Peter Island. It seems your charm is real. God bless, and look forward to seeing ya'll (Texas, you know) next year. Jerry & Donna King #213"

• Travel date: 27th July 2004

Children Discouraged - Pay Attention

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"I love Peter Island. It's beautiful. Rooms are lovely. Staff is great. Food wonderful. But I'm writing this review to make one point. One reviewer went on and on about how difficult they were to accomodate children. Peter Island states emphatically in all their literature - "Children are discouraged". Can't you people take a hint (and a screaming billboard is more like it) and either leave the kids at home or GO SOMEPLACE ELSE."

• Travel date: 26th July 2004

Peter Island-a well kept secret.

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"My husband and I recently went to Peter Island for our 15th wedding anniversary (June 30, 2004 thru July 5th), and I can't say enough positive things about this place. The food was outstanding--not to mention, lots of it. My favorite was the breakfast buffet in the Tradewinds Restaurant. We stayed in a beachfront suite (upstairs) and loved our accomodations. The linens, towels, robes & bathroom products were all top notch. The setting far surpassed anything I expected. I was very nervous booking a trip from an internet site. Also, the fact that we didn't know anyone that had been before was a little risky. However, I'm sure we'll be back. Be ready for lots of activities or total relaxation-it's your choice. My only suggestion is that they provide more beach towels in the rooms. When you're back and forth to the beach all day, you don't want to keep using the same damp towels. When I asked one of the people from housekeeping for extra, she said that she couldn't give me any more until that evening (our towels for the next day). I also feel that for the cost of the trip, they should include wine with dinner at no cost. Or maybe a 2-drink maximum per day. The cost of any alcoholic beverage runs between $6.00 for a beer to $13.00 for a frozen drink. By the way, skip the day-trip to The Baths. We thought it wasn't worth the cost and time involved. The only other thing that was funny to me was that almost everyone that was staying there was on their honeymoon--that made us one of the oldest couples there and we're only 45! I'm sure that was because it was in June and July. It looks like the new spa (it wasn't open yet) is going to be amazing! The staff was so friendly and cheerful. I was very impressed. The landscaping was just breathtaking and one more thing........the most comfortable pool chairs I've ever napped in! Can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 12th July 2004

Paradise on Earth

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"We just returned from our honeymoon and had the most amazing experience being on Peter Island. We extended our stay after checking into our room (217 - get it if you can) and seeing the unbelievable views. The buildings were very clean and up to date and the physical beauty of the island was breathtaking. Don't expect a lot of "ya, mon" party atmosphere because the staff is efficent and accomidating but not very upbeat. We went snorkling, diving, sailing and otherwise relaxed on the beautiful beaches. There were some kids and teenagers running around, which we tried to avoid when choosing our vacation, but otherwise Peter Island might be the most beautiful resort in the world."

• Travel date: 12th July 2004

Peter Island....ALL THAT WAS PROMISED AND MORE !!!!

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"What an idyllic spot!...One of the nicest Caribbean resorts I've had the pleasure of visiting....Staff, including the management, was wonderfully accomodating. Both restaurants were excellent. "Tradewinds" menu was especially imaginative and varied. Each evening was a treat! Pool, beaches and beachfront suites were actually nicer than expected. What is pictured and described on the website is not at all enhanced or embellished and actually doesn't do this resort justice. It is even more comfortable and private than they convey!!!!! If time allows, do try to spend a day on the Silmaril....Paul and Judy are very capable and gracious hosts, and provided us with a wonderful sailing experience. We will be returning as soon as we can. I highly recommend"

• Travel date: 11th July 2004

Peter Island is top notch

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"We just returned from Peter Island where we spent 5 nights. The overall experience was outstanding. The service by the staff was the best that we have experienced in our many trips to the Caribbean. The resort itself -beaches, views, pool, and facilities were all great. The food was also good and the wine list fairly priced. We were in the ocean view rooms and while they were not comparable to a Four Seasons, Penisula, or Ritz-type quality, they were nicely appointed and attractively decorated. The transfers to and from Tortola were well organized. One downside was the cost of scuba diving. While the dives and staff were very good, the price was the highest that I have encountered. We would highly recommend Peter Island Resort."

• Travel date: 26th June 2004

everything expected and more

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"My husband and I visited Peter Island May 7th - 14th. We went there seeking beautiful water, nice beaches, well appointed rooms, good food and a friendly staff. Being from the Dallas area, we have access to 5 star restaurants with extensive wine lists as well as the best shopping and spas. We go to the Caribbean looking for what we do not have at home and that is what we found. The staff was wonderful and EVERYONE was friendly and attentive. The food was very good and for a 7 day visit we found that there was plenty of variety. There was always a fresh seafood selection and we never had anything that appeared to have been frozen as stated in a previous review. They have great pizzas too! The only disappointment was that they had lobster on the menu only one night during our stay and by our 8:00 seating they had run out. The beach front suites were fabulous and I would recommend spending the extra money if one is available. The beaches are very clean and the swimming and snorkeling are great but don't go there thinking you will be the only one there. All beaches in the BVI's are PUBLIC so the resort can post all sorts of signs but this does not keep the "yachtsmen" from coming ashore and using the huts and lounge chairs. We found that some of the guest could be more bothersome and loud than the boaters! The island itself is stunning and if you are a nature lover this is the place for you. The flowers are amazing. The only thing we would like to have had was a limited dinner menu that could be delivered to the room. It would have been nice to just have a pizza and not have to get dressed up to go to dinner. Other than that Peter Island was perfect and we would highly recommend it to anyone!"

• Travel date: 19th May 2004

Absolute paradise

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"After reading many conflicting reviews I decided to book Peter Island for our 1st anniversary trip. It was such a great decision. This resort was amazing and so beautiful. It lived up to all of my expectations and is even more spectacular than the pictures on their webiste. We had an oceanview room (I couldnt swing the additional $250/night). However we were pleased with the room. The bathroom isnt anything special but the room is nice and we didnt spend alot of time in there anyway plus it was so convenient to the pool and Tradewinds for breakfast.The beaches are incredible and we had a wonderful time. The service is a mix. Some people totally went out of their way and were great and others werent so nice but you cant let a few unhappy workers ruin your vacation.Overall I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to get away from it and and relax on beautiful beaches."

• Travel date: 19th May 2004

Management is worthless

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"Well, just back from our second trip to Peter Island (went last year) and the menus are exactly the same - funny because if I order a 2000 vintage and expect to pay the price then you bring a 2002 and it's the same price BUT NOT THE SAME WINE - you have a problem. The kitchen staff seemed to dictate the pace of every meal and had an assembly line feel to it - get 'em in and get 'em out so I can go home early. The people who work there are really nice folks but they do not enjoy their work as they did last year and that is a leadership team issue not a staff issue. I will disagree with the one poster, the GM is a joke and not visable. I have spent a total of 21 days on that Island and have yet to meet or even see the guy. The best news for Peter Island is that guy is leaving in June maybe they can get a competent person that knows what people want. It is not hard to find good help on Tortola to work there - that assistant is lying to cover his own shortcomings. We spent a lot of time talking to the staff and most of then have worked there for many years - you get a job on Perter Island you don't leave. The place is great - don't get me wrong - it's private and not very many people which is nice. But the boat traffic is crazy and the boaters are taking over the beaches - WHICH MUST BE STOPPED. The spa was not completed as advertised - VERY DISAPPOINTING. I feel like they lied to me and I change my plans so we could be there and IT WAS NOT OPEN. Well, like I said before the GM is a joke and he proves it everyday. Later Man."

• Travel date: 13th May 2004

Great Resort, Service needs improvement

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"We just returned from a 5 night stay - most of the aspect of the trip were great - food was good, rooms are nice & beaches and pool are wonderful. We were VERY disappointed the spa isn't finished (as of April 2004) when we were told when we booked back in December that it positively would be. As for the service we found it to be very spotty - most of the staff were amazingly helpful and kind. There were however some exceptions and these were the RUDEST people I have ever met! In the restaurants (esp. Tradewinds) I kept getting the feeling they were resentful about their jobs - very unfriendly... All in all it was a great trip and we will probably be back. We mentioned the service issue with one of the Assistant Managers and he said that it's very difficult to hire people on Peter Island so maybe that's why they keep some workers that really shouldn't be there."

• Travel date: 25th April 2004