Definitely not a 5 star resort

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"It took me a long time to decide between two and three stars for this resort. The only reason I am giving it 3 instead of 2 is beacuse some of the issues are more personal and I want to be as fair as possible with this review.

I was shocked at how many excellent reviews this resort was given which set me up for high expectations. First things first. This is not a 5 star resort. They may think they are 5 star, but it's not. There is a lot of updating needed especially in the lobby, dining room and pool area. Things are nicely placed but old. The pool area is so small I felt like I was at a pool in an apartment complex. The beach itself is ridiculously small and the sand was dirty - lots of sticks in it. They do have this wonderful sand bar that you can walk out almost a half a mile and hang out in the ocean which is great and the view is spectacular but the lounging area is so small everyone is on top of each other. Not to mention you have to walk down a very steep set of stairs to get the the beach.

We were also disappointed that there was no drink service at the pool or the beach nor did they have water available for the guests. We toured other hotels while we were there and almost all of them had water available to guests especially since the beaches are not easily accessible.

Another issue we had was the rooms are all smoking rooms. They do not differentiate between smoking and non and of course don't advertise this. They say that they try to put smokers in the same room but the rooms have musty old smells. The first night we were in a Snapper Suite and I would not recommend these rooms AT ALL. I felt like I was at a hotel at the Jersey Shore. It was so old and outdated. The bedroom part is in the back so in order to see the view, you have to go to the living room part. Not a huge deal for us since we were only in it for one night but something to think about.

The next 3 nights we were in a Superior room and we were lucky enough to be in the new section. The room itself was beautiful. Brand new. The issue was that it REEKED like smoke and we had headaches within an hour. We called immediately to get our room changed and that is when we learned that they don't really have 'non smoking' rooms. They brought us a machine to neutralize the air but it didn't work so the entire time we had to keep our sliding glass door open so it was humid in the room. We have our luggage outside our house right now airing out because everything smelled so bad. To some this may be trivial, but I felt that it was important to mention.

Next issue - the food. I am a picky eater so I am getting this review from my husband who would eat anything and he cannot understand what everyone is raving about. The food was average - I will admit to that. The selection is poor so if you are picky, look out. The first night, I had Filet Mingon and it was great. The second night, I couldn't find anything I liked, so I ended up ordering something on the childrens menu and it was fine. The service is terrible. Very slow and non responsive. The breakfasts were very generic. The fresh fruit looked like it came out of a can. They had a buffet on Sunday and that was nice because we didn't have anyone wait on us.

It also bothered me that they had no afternoon tea! I couldn't believe it. We inquired about it at the front desk and they bascially said there was no demand for it. And not to go on and on, but the dinner hours are limited - 7pm - 9pm so not much of a window there.

As far as the staff goes, I wouldn't say anyone truely went out of their way. I'm sure some guests liked to interact with the staff. When we talked to them about the smoke issue - no one followed up with us to see what they can do to make it better - other than that - I really don't have anything good or bad to say about the staff. They were ok.

Overall, I think this is the place to stay if you want no frills. Plan on lots of walking (especially up and down steps) and don't expect anything lavish here. The view is amazing and it's on a beautiful part of the island. There are lots of families with young children that stay here. I know it's hard to avoid children in Bermuda but based on what we read, we thought this was more of a honeymoon resort than a family resort. Try to get on the dine-around program if you are on the MAP plan, then you can visit other resorts. We ate at the Reefs and what a difference. Next time, I'm staying there.

If you have any specific questions, I will try my best to help - you may email me at [email protected]"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2004

Relaxing Honeymoon!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I am sitting at the computer in the lobby of the Pompano Beach Club as I write this review...we have been here since Tuesday July, 13th and are having an unbelievable time. We have visited other hotels as part of the "dine around" program and we are so happy with our choice to stay at Pompano. The rooms here (we are in #27) are much larger and nicer than the rooms we have seen at the other similar resorts (Coco Reef/Stonington, The Reefs) and the atmosphere is much friendlier and more welcoming than the stuffier resorts like Coco Reefs and Elbow Beach. We have slept like logs every night. Our bed is the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in at a hotel. Room 27's location is top notch as it is nestled overlooking the beach and is the closest room to the restaurant, bar, hot tub and everything.
There is a true Bermudian feel and you are treated like royalty from people like Tim, Velma and Stevo to name a few. The "Island Oasis" frozen drinks at the poolside bar are killer.
The beach is the best hotel beach on Bermuda. You can walk/swim almost .5 mile in shallow water from the sheltered beach surrounded by cliffs. We were shocked to see that Elbow Beach charged $3 for 4 hours rental of a foam "noodles", which are an essential for enjoying floating in the ocean and in the pool.
The food is incredible and by the end of your stay you will know the staff by name. They will do anything to make your stay special. Nyland, the massage therapist provides wonderful massage and spa treatments. We have made many friends with the other guests including several other honeymooning couples. If you are looking for a place where you can feel at home and enjoy a relaxing vacation, Pompano is it. Must go grab another Dark and Stormy from the bar..."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of July 2004

Best vacation spot

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"Pompano Beach is the best. When we walked into the lobby a few weeks ago we were greated with WELCOME HOME. As a big fan of Bermuda and this being our 9th visit to the island, and 3rd visit to Pompano Beach. We can not say enough great things about the Pompano staff, location, food etc. There is much to much to speak about in a short review. We can only say that you will not be disappointed in anything. I will say that we hope to be able to visit many more times. THANX POMPANO BEACH FOR EVERYTHING ONCE AGAIN!!
The O'Haus Family"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of July 2004

Loved Pompano Beach Club!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We just returned from a wonderful 7 night stay at Pompano Beach Club in Bermuda! Larry Lamb and his staff should be congratulated for the excellent resort that they have, and the superb service that they offer! They make you feel "at home" and "welcome" and go out of their way to meet your every need! The rooms are large and clean with a beautiful view of the South Shore of Bermuda! Their managers and wait staff are exceptional and go the extra mile to get you anything and everything that you want!
I would not stay anywhere other than Pompano Beach Club and would certainly highly recommend their resort to anyone traveling to Bermuda!!
What a great 7 nights we enjoyed!!

Jeff & Mary Martin
Hagerstown, MD"

• Travel date: Sun 11th of July 2004

I will only return to Pompano

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"The Pompano Beach Club is the finest hotel I have stayed at on the Island.

We had 2 rooms for 5 adults (parents + adult children).
The location is simply beautiful[I have electronic pictures]

The food was fabulous and highly recommend to make it part of the package.

The atmosphere is friendly, family-like. Larry and staff are friendly, helpful, fun, GREAT recommendations.

Take the catamaran ride with Paul on the Chelonia... it was one of the highlights.
==============================
In our vacation, we had a bump in the road. My dad was very sick so I had to come a day later than the rest. When I arrived, EVERYTHING was taken care of... the bags were gone, a quick tour and it was REALLY time to relax.

I have stayed at Elbow Beach and Gratto Bay and they were very nice...
I will now only stay at Pompano... That is how good is was!

Bob"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of July 2004

great experience

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"stayed at the Pompano for the first time July2, for 4 nights. It was great/ small hotel with extremely friendly staff/ small beach, but beautiful waters/ had the meal plan and overall good quality and selection/ monday swizle party was fun/july4th dinner buffet was spectacular/ huge Maine lobsters, steak etc/ saw many families as well as newlyweds/ If you have kids, make sure they interact with Christian, the friendliest waiteryou could ever meet/made plans for next year, enjoy!"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of July 2004

Great place, a great time.

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We spent 5 days at Pompano Beach Club early in June. We were ther to celebrate our anniversary that we had spent in Bermuda many years ago. We were very impressed by Pompano Beach. Great location and a very good staff. They were always friendly and attentive. The food was very good and the service was excellent. The shuttle service to the ferry and to the Port Royale golf course was a great added benefits. Pompano Beach is more informal than some other places. We did the dinner exchange with the Reefs and Cambridge Beaches. It was enjoyable to go to the other places for a change, but felt Pompano Beach compared favorably with both of them. Only suggestion for improvement would be to update the decor in the lounge. It is a bit tired and dated.
We definitely will return to Pompano Beach, hopefully fairly soon."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of July 2004

Love Pompano

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"We just arrived back from celebrating our 10 year anniversary at Pompano Beach Club, and it was even better than when we were there on our honeymoon. We've explored other hotels on our two trips to Bermuda and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Being greeted by the owner upon arrival with a friendly welcome is part of what separates Pompano from the others. You'll quickly find that everyone at the hotel is equally as friendly and accommodating. My wife and I wanted a small, intimate hotel experience which is what you'll get at Pompano. You tend to meet people with common interests, and before the week's out, you'll know most of the staff, and they'll know you by name.

The location is perhaps the best on the island. At low tide, you can walk out in the ocean for 300 yards before the drop-off which offers great snokeling. If you wish to take a scooter ride, more secluded beaches are just 10 minutes away. At the end of the day, everyone seems to end up at the Pompano beach or pool with drinks, discussing what they did that afternoon.

Pompano is great for honeymooners, those like ourselves celebrating an anniversary, or those with kids. It's a very family friendly place...no one acts as if the kids in the pool should "keep it down." If you're looking for a beautiful location in a quite section of Bermuda, look no further than Pompano Beach Club."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

Beautiful, relaxing, low-key destination

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"We stayed three nights, 2 in a "superior" room, 1 in a "suite." (Moved because that was what was available when we called -- rooms book up far in advance here). PBC is very beautiful – the rooms and main area (lobby, dining room, fitness room) all overlook the ocean, unreal shades of aquamarine and turquoise. Preferred the superior rooms because the bed directly faces the ocean. In the suites, the living room faces the ocean and the bedroom is in the back. Also, the suites we stayed in had a slight mildew smell – the superior rooms are in a newer building and had no smell.

While this is an expensive accommodation, it is not fancy (“casual” is the word used on the website). But it is also not pretentious, and is quite comfortable. The price includes breakfast and dinner, and the dinner is very good – five courses that change nightly – the menu was almost entirely new each night, with choices of seafood, red meat, poultry, vegetarian, almost all terrific. Service, as commented on here, was slow and inattentive. Not rude, but inattentive. And inconsistent. We waited a good 20 minutes to give our order one night, and another 20 to have our dirty dinner dishes cleared. Drinks may or may not arrive. Perhaps this is a side effect of having the gratuity added automatically (a surcharge added in addition to the rates).

Perhaps if the staff felt there was an opportunity to make good tips based on service, the service would improve.

We went without kids. While there were several kids there, I would not recommend it for families with smaller children (even tho there were some), because there are many stairs – you need to walk down steep steps with a token railing in order to get to the beach, and it would be not so relaxing to have to watch the kids constantly because of dangerous stair situations. For that reason, it is definitely not a place for anyone with any kind of handicap or knee issues – stairs abound, but elevators do not.

If stairs are not a problem, the beach is absolutely gorgeous. It is aquamarine for about 350 yards (which is far!), then turquoise, where the water is deeper, and where the coral reefs are. You can rent snorkeling gear and gaze at the parrot fish and other colorful schools, or a glass-bottom kayak, which is pretty cool. The water temp, in June anyway, is lovely.

I give this a 4 not a 5 because there are some glitches – saving 5 for that absolutely amazing experience I have yet to find in a hotel. But I do recommend Pompano, and would return. Bermuda is an easy getaway from the East Coast."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of June 2004

Love Pompano Beach

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Pompano the beginning of April to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The weather wasn't great, but our stay at Pompano was wonderful. The staff is so helpful and you are truly treated like family. The views are spectacular. Can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of June 2004