Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

• infinity pool
  • adult pool

Beautiful Bermuda

Reviewed Thu 15th of April 2010

"Stunning island, gorgeous hotel, amazing location what more could you want?
Fantastic large hotel in a great location just a short walk from the main town & front street area.
Hotel overlooks the harbour and has a ferry to its sister hotel (the southampton) several times a day to use its pools & beaches free of charge.
The hotel has two pools and lovely garden areas & a gazebo where we spent many nights overlooking the water drinking cocktails and having a midnight swim.
Bermuda is a stunning but expensive island to visit but I would not hesitate to return here in the future as it totally wowed me.
The hotel staff & locals were all so friendly and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble.

• Travel date: Thu 8th of April 2010

great escape

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"My husband & I went away for a four day weekend. We choose the hamilton princess, i wasn't sure what to expect. We weren't sure if we should have stayed at the south hampton princess for the beach. Since the hamilton princess is located right next to "the city, " we had the option of other resturants and bars. It was also great to be so close to the shopping. While at the hamilton princess you never heard noise or anything like it from the city. The hotel overlooks the harbour, which is beautiful and tranquil. Two great pools never made us miss the beach. One day we did take the complimentary 25 minute ferry ride over to the sister hotel, where we enjoyed the georgeous beach and excellent tennis courts. The restaurant at the hotel had delicious food and a nice setting. The staff couldn't have been nicer. But, don't trap yourself inside the hotel. The local bermudians were lovely people, we never once felt unsafe walking the streets of hamilton. There are great resaturants to choose from, all within 10 minute walk from hotel. We highly recommend Monty's and Portofino's. Portofino's actually had some of the best Italian food I have ever had, and I am from New York, so I know good Italian food. In Bermuda I experienced the nicest "carribean vacation" that I have ever had."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of September 2005

Great Hotel

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"We stayed at Fairmount Princess for our 5th anniversary along with another couple. It was wonderful. The room was really lovely with a nice view. The front desk and other staff went out of their way to help us. Every morning they made sure we had a full agenda and a cab to take us around. They made suggestions of interesting activities which we appreciated since we were there during the off-season and some of the activities were not available. They even suggested we visit the Rosedon across the street from the hotel for afternoon tea. We didn't eat in the restaurant but several nights had room service. The food was very good. The grounds were very well kept and beautiful. Because of the downtown location, we had easy access to bus services and were within walking distance to shopping. There was a little jazz club within walking distance from the hotel that, while not fancy, had a really good band. Overall, we were very happy with our room and the service we received. We really enjoyed our stay there and look forward to staying there again."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Very good, has more potential

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Spent 4 days at the Hamilton Princess with my wife, Fairmont Gold room. Fairmont Gold is well worth the extra money. Excellent breakfast, tea, snacks, and drinks all day with free internet access. Beautiful lounge. The gold representatives could use improved training as their knowledge of restaurants and other activities is somewhat weak and not always current. For example, we wanted to rent regular bicycles, not mopeds. They sent us to a location outside of Hamilton where the bikes were old and rusted and they could not figure out anywhere else. I am sure bicycle rentals are available in Bermuda and could easily be arranged. The hotel facilities are beautiful and the pools are very nice. Lounge chairs and towels are only average. The beach in southhampton was crowded and the men's locker room being rebuilt, but was very nice. Harley's restaurant was excellent and no more expensive than outside the hotel.

There was a 20 hour blackout during our stay in all of Bermuda, and we were surprised to find that the hotel did not have its own generator. Thank g-d for the pool, because there was no AC or running water in the restrooms. The staff tried their best with what they had. However, no discounts were given to the guests for their discomfort which was surprising."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of July 2005

lovely, as expected

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"August 2004 was our fourth trip to Bermuda, but the first time we stayed in Hamiton instead of out along the South Shore. The Princess was everything it should be: clean, cool, comfortable, peaceful, staffed with polite and helpful personnel. We had stayed at the Southhampton Princess in the late 1990s, before the two Princesses became Fairmont properties. We like Fairmont, because they didn't seem to nickel-and-dime us on this trip as the Southhampton Princess had before. For example, in the past, we had paid a substantial per-person charge for each trip on the hotel ferry between the two Princesses, but now under Fairmont, it was simply included with the room. We also liked being in Hamilton because it made it possible to walk to dinner, saving substantial taxi fare, and to enjoy a little variety and competition among the restaurants, which does not exist on the South Shore. With the Princess ferry right there, full privileges on the beach at the Southhampton Princess, the Hamilton Princess's lovely pool and grounds, and the beauty of the harbor, we did not feel that the beach aspect of the vacation was in any way compromised by being in Hamilton. It was also nice to be able to take a quick walk to the main bus station, and use that as a jumping-off point to touring other parts of the island, instead of having to make a long schlepp in from the South Shore before really starting the trip. The municipal ferry to Dockyards was a nice ride, within an easy walk of the Hamilton Princess, and this really put Dockyards within an equally close reach of our hotel as it would have been on the South Shore. Walking in Hamilton is easier with young kids, because you actually have a sidewalk, and do not need to cross back and forth to walk on narrow shoulders as you do on the South Shore. Our room was at the lower end of what they offer, and the view was of the main entrance and the street, but it was fine. If we go back to Bermuda, we will probably make the Hamilton Princess our first choice."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of July 2005

Enjoyed my stay

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"My fiancee and I stayed at the Fairmont over the July 4th weekend. This was our first time in Bermuda and we thought the island was absolutely beautiful. The Fairmont is a very nice hotel withn walking distance to town, restaurants, and shopping. We did not do much sightseeing as we were mainly there for some much needed R&R. We did take the bus one day to St. George and had a light lunch at the whote horse tavern. St. George was a very pretty town and very quaint. We only spent a couple of hours there but had a very nice time. As other reviewers have said, the buses are very nice and safe to take. It's a great way to city the island.

Back to the hotel--we had a basic Fairmont Room and overlooked a bay / canal (?). While we would have loved a room overlooking the harbor, we were ok with our room. I know there are much nicer rooms, but since we didn't spend much time in it we didn't think it payed to get an upgrade. We spent alot of time at the pool and found poolside seats easily enough. The only issue I had was with poolside service. It was difficult to get a drink without going to the bar - this is a very minor gripe- as the bar was close by. We spent time at both the salt water and fresh water pools, and enjoyed both. There were some families there with little kids- on the most part the kids weren't loud, but I would have preferred an adults only pool. We arrived on Friday, and there was a happy hour/ buffet bbq at the hotel. I highly recommend this. It was a lot of fun, and there seemed to be quite a few locals there. It's a great time and great people watching. The hotel in itself was quite nice- the grounds were very pretty and well maintained. The staff was ok- I can't say they went out of their way, but then again we are not demanding guests. We did go to the southhampton on the sunday we were there. It is a much grander and nicer hotel in my opinion, BUT IT WAS PACKED!!!. We thought we would go there and spend a few hours on the beach, but when we got there, there were no chairs or towels, and frankly it was too crowded for us. We hung out at the beach bar and had a few drinks and did notice more chairs and towels were available, but at that point, we just wanted to make our way back to the princess which was very quiet and subdued in ccmparison. The beach at the southhapmpton is very pretty- I wish we could've enjoyed it more but it was just too crowded for us.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the princess, and would definitely go back at some point."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of July 2005

Hamilton Princess lived up to expectations

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Hamilton Princess for a long weekend over the fourth of July. We came without our children this visit (#10) for us, so decided to stay in town to take advantage of the restaurants.

We had not been to the Princess since the mid-90's. We were pleased to see that they had refurbished the hotel. We stayed in the bay wing, room 276, and had a wonderfully quiet, private room. We had a lovely view looking out to the harbor. (Room did NOT face salt water pool).

Our package included the buffet breakfast which was great. Lots of variety, and delicious breakfast fare. Omelets were cooked to order.

We took the hotel ferry over to the Southampton Princess on Sunday to use their beach club. When we arrived right before noon there were no chairs, no towels, and no umbrellas available. Within an hour though we were able to get all three. Still...

When we go to Bermuda with the family we stay at the Pompano Beach Club, (check out their website!), and while the Princess was fine for our short stay I doubt we will be back anytime soon there. It definitely is more of a corporate hotel. That's not to say that it's not nice, it certainly is, but not really suitable for our family."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of July 2005

Disappointing

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I cannot believe this place charges as much as it does and has such a good reputation. My wife and I went to Bermuda partly for business and partly for vacation. We stayed at the Princess for the business portion. Given the reputation of this hotel, our stay was truly dissappointing. The service was terrible. The staff did not seem to want help us. When I was having trouble making phone calls outside of the hotel, neither the front desk nor the operator could figure out what was wrong. After I had called them a certain amount of times, they just stopped answering because it seems they did not want to deal with me. I finally found someone else at the front desk later in the day that could help me. This is just an example of the service - I could go on. There were other issues. Also, the bathroom was small and moldy. There was also a lot of hair in the bathroom when we arrived and it was not from me or my wife. The room was about average size. Royal Palms is a much better and cheaper alternative. It is the complete opposite of the Princess."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of July 2005

The place to stay

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"This is absolutely "the" place to stay in Bermuda. Other than being the country and Hamilton's landmark hotel, the location just can't be beat. If you stay here: You are in walking distance of Front St, which is where all the tourist trap shops/restaurants are; You have access to 2 pools - one heated, one salt water - both with terrific ocean/bay views (request a room with an ocean view and open the windows at night!); You are a quarter mile from the ferry dock which cheaply takes you to both sides of the island - St Georges and Dockyards; the place to be on Friday nites is the hotel's happy hour; and you get access to the sister hotel's golf course and beach on the other side of the island!

I will say the rooms aren't lavish by American standards, but are for an international hotel.

Recommendations for your stay: I thought the warnings about moped riding were very exaggerated. If you pay attention, stay off the streets during rush hour, and ignore the tailgaters, a day on a moped is the only way to see all the neat beaches, forts and parks; the moped rental prices are all the same so use the rental place at the hotel; avoid the taxis to save $$ - the ferry is fast and convenient, or walk the 3/4 mile up the hill to the bus stop ($4 in lieu of a $35 taxi); Most of the beaches are the same - might as well take shuttle to the Princess's private beach where you get towels, chairs, umbrellas etc for free; plan one of your ferry rides around sunset; if you want your own private beach, take a moped to the Admiral's House/Park about a mile away from Princess - it has a very small beach/cove and NO one is there; Golf - the Mid Ocean course is THE one to play (top 50 in world) and the concierge can get you on this private course with adequate notice, Port Royal is the best public, the Princess course is a par 3."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of May 2005

Nice but Forgettable

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Great hotel for business-related travel because of the close proximity to downtown. Also easy access to great restaurants. But although I had no problems with the hotel, my stay was not memorable."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of May 2005

Always a wonderful vacation!!!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I've been staying at the Hamilton Princess for the past 30years consecutively. Since the Fairmont people took over the hotel a few years ago not only have they improved the asthetics inside and outside, but their staff is excellent. Everyone is so willing to accommodate every need and they are such a pleasure to talk to, always willing to extend a smile and helping hand. The rooms are just lovely, all updated and renovated with every essential taken care of for your stay. I am a Fairmont Gold member and the staff that mans the Fairmont Gold department is exceptional. Every i is dotted and t is crossed in preparation for my yearly holiday in Bermuda with 4 other adult family members. Now the food at Harley's, The Waterlot, The Whaler Inn, and The Newport room is exceptional second to none. I've eaten at some "swank" New York find dinning restaurants and not one can compare to the cuisine, presentation and quality of food and service found in the above mentioned restaurants. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else when visiting Bermuda. I suggest you try the Hamilton Princess and see what I'm talking about."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of March 2005

Hotels near Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Top traveller tips for Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

• Sarahwivak by Sarahwivak

"Its stunning and well worth a visit "

Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel is also called