About Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa

• diving
  • windsurfing amenities

Go to Grotto Bay

Reviewed Mon 1st of June 2015

"I just read the review about the cockroaches! Come on, this is where they live too! It's not the hotels fault! We just had a great stay at Grotto Bay for 2 weeks! Very friendly and personable. Good sized rooms, loved the sheets! Great friendly staff! Good food! All inclusive was fantastic, but wasted on us during the 2nd week, we couldn't eat all that lovely food!If you're going to Bermuda, give Grotto Bay a go, without a doubt. I lived in Bermuda in the 70's, and although there's a few hotels to go at, this is for me! Close to the airport, calm sea at the beach. Hamilton, or anywhere else isn't that far away! Go for it, and enjoy!

• Travel date: Mon 1st of June 2015

Pros and Cons of this resort

Reviewed Thu 20th of June 2013

"We just got back from Grotto Bay Beach resort. Here are the pros and cons that we experienced.
First I'd like to say that the staff is over the top in helpfulness and friendliness. They were all wonderful .... every single one of them.
Pros:
Gorgeous views
One mile from the airport
Short walk to bus stop
Good food but pricey. Excellent breakfast/brunch
Rooms adequate
Great service
Cons:
Very hilly
No elevators
Lots of steps to climb down to the pool and beach - try to get a room between the beach and the main building.
Although the rooms were adequate, they lacked outlets. Our double bedded room was on the small side
Lighting was poor
We had to walk up three flights

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed out stay. If I went back again, I'd do more research on the room location, as I found walking up and down the hills and steps a drawback in the heat of the day.
If you are handicapped, or have trouble walking, ask lots of questions.
We found a great restaurant called the Swizzlin Inn a short walk. Much better prices and food and drinks were great.
Enjoy your stay.

• Travel date: Sat 15th of June 2013

Paradise for us!

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We visited Bermuda for 11 days during Christmas and New Year's of 2003.
We had a strict budget and had chosen to stay at Grotto Bay for its good rates and reviews. Our stay was quite long and we were very much concerned about things to do. Grotto Bay helped us by providing the guest with a daily sheet of things to do. The property was great and each time we walked the area we found something new to do or see. But most of all the people who work there are great, very helpful, courtesous, and friendly. We would definitely stay at Grotto Bay again and visit the beautiful beaches of Bermuda! Definitely worth the visit.
A++"

• Travel date: Sun 11th of January 2004

great service

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"just booked for feb,04....15th time going back ...we love bermuda.celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary there...wonderful people ,food and island.."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of December 2003

Fine Stay

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"The room was clean. The staff was nice. The grounds are beautiful. The location is okay. A bit away from Hamilton."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of December 2003

Not What We Expected

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My husband and I wanted to visit Bermuda, but being newly married, didnt want to spend a fortune on a very expensive hotel. Boy did we learn our lesson. We decided to stay at Grotto Bay because it seemed reasonably priced, and the pictures looked nice. Upon arrival, we found the room to be very dark and damp. Our first night there, from the corner of my eye, I saw somethng big and black run acroos the floor. It was the biggest roach I have ever seen. While looking around the room I notice another large black roach sitting on the dresser. I was devastated and we called the front desk immediatley. Their response was "we can have someone come up and kill the roaches for you." I was hysterical and decided to go sit out on the patio. Much to my surprise as I opened the curtains to go out, there sprawled out on the glass patio door a THIRD roach clinging to the glass door!!! We immediatley went to the front desk, and their response was,"you are on a tropical island. it is to be expected." Excuse me?? We were so upset, and they sent a worker to spray the entire room with bug spray, which left a terrible smell and toxic fumes througout the room. There was no way we could stay in there. They finally upgraded us to a suite, which was better, but by no means great. Our roach experience didnt end there.
There were roaches all over by the pool area as well. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay here. Bermuda was a beautiful paradise, but if we ever return, it will not be to the Grotto Bay again."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of December 2003

Grotto Bay - overall, a good experience

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"I stayed at Grotto Bay in March, 1998. First, let me say negative things - and they aren't really bad at all. It is near the airport but that really can be a good thing and you don't hear the planes. Second, it seems far from Hamilton, BUT, there are MANY interesting things to do that are very close by....and it's easy to get a bus to wherever you want to go. The hotel itself was very nice and clean, and the staff was great - very friendly. What I really want to say is GO TO BERMUDA IF YOU CAN! I have traveled a lot and this is the most beautiful place on earth and the people are unbelievably friendly, and I am from the south! They will do anything for you, and I don't just mean hotel staff, I am talking people that you pass on the street! And I have never felt more safe...my friend and I were walking around Hamilton past midnight and there was nothing at all that seemed harmful or scary. If you make the effort, there is so much to do and see. Do not miss Horseshoe Bay. But the best thing really is just exploring and riding the bus - everywhere you look is gorgeous - you are almost always near water and the pastel houses - wow, a feast for the eyes!
Climb the lighthouse - I think it was Gibbs Hill or something, and Ft.
Catherine. I could live here - don't miss it!"

• Travel date: Fri 21st of November 2003

Bermuda...Bermuda..Bermuda

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"What dont' I have to say about Grotto Bay? It is a delightful resort.
Small but unique. Only one bar, but excellent bartenders...Abdoul, Chris, etc. etc. Very nice staff. I went with my family...not always all that exciting but the Bermudians sure make sure to show you the sights. Very polite people...ask them for directions...they will lead you there first hand. These people are amazing! The food...terrific!
They will let you eat 3 meals in one sitting if it fancies you.
Anything to please their guests, maybe thats why I enjoyed Grotto Bay so much. The beach is small but quaint and the pool is ok but nothing like the Bermuda waters. The jaccuzzi..very secluded..nice little nook!
All in all a great vacation. Chris....hope your family, friends and home are safe and sound after the hurricane. Love to see you some time again.~Heather"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of November 2003

Great Weekend

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Just returned from a four day/three night stay at Grotto Bay. Had a very enjoyable time. Very nice grounds and common areas. Rooms are average but beds are very comfortable. Bus service allows VERY easy travel to all other areas in Bermuda. Food was very good, and the breakfast buffet was something to look forward to. Beach and pool are small- but nice. Stayed there about 5 weeks after the hurricane and the Island really got hit hard. Some resorts closed for the whole winter.
Many trees down and debris everywhere, but Grotto Bay has recovered quite nicely. No complaints on cost as it's BERMUDA! We will return some day."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of October 2003

Very relaxing

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My wife and I and our friends stayed at the Grotto the week before Fabian hit so we were glad to see Bermuda before all of the destruction. The view from our balcony was of the causeway to the airport and St George. and the ocean. Although the airport is only a mile away, we didn't hear a thing. The rooms were nice and clean and the king sized bed very comfortable. You had better be in shape to climb the stairs and hills that the resort is built on. The food was exteremely good, especially the buffet the was offered on Monday and Thursday. I highly recommend the fish chowder and the Ruppert. It was a good decision by us to go all inclusive as we ate and drank more than our share. Say hello to Abdul the bartender for us and have a few rum swizzles on room 461-462. The beach was small but very well kept and very clean. There is a place to snorkle next to the beach with hundreds of fish. The pool and pool area were sufficient, but get some shade while you can. There are caves on the grounds which you can explore and even swim in. As for the staff, they seemed a bit stand offish at first but seemed to open up more as they got to know us. It's a good idea to throw a tip at some of them even if tips are included with all inclusive. The only thing that dissapointed me was that they didn't have much lively music. It was all pretty mellow, though the singer on Thursday night had a terrific voice. A couple of ingenious couples staged their own Mars party on the lawn outside of the Main building on Wednesday night , the night Mars was closest to the earth. It was extremely bright in the clean, clear tropic sky. I would highly recommend this place if you want anice relaxing time. Good for honeymooners, romantics, and for families."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of September 2003

Fun place to stay!!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This was our third stay at Grotto Bay. We love the proximity to the airport, before you know it you can be on the beach. Beautiful renovations, lobby, bathrooms, very helpful and friendly staff. We have never experienced any of the problems with bugs or any other inconviences mentioned in the other reviews. We had an excellent package with American Airlines."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of September 2003

Very nice

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Grotto Bay and we really loved it. The hotel had just finished renovations and it was beautiful. Every room has an oceanview, the lobby was very nice, the staff was very pleasant and helpful. I highly recommend buying a bus pass available right at the front desk. It is the best way to see the island. You must see the caves at the hotel and visit the Cave Bar. The location of the hotel is very nice, however, there are a few drawbacks to the hotel. Be prepared to climb many, many stairs, but this is true of the whole island. It is very hilly! Another drawback is its proximity to the airport. It is wonderful being that close to the airport except at 3am when the Israli Military jet landed and woke us up. It was very, very loud! Which by the way, don't be alarmed if you see a lot of military from different countries hanging out in the lobby. I guess Bermuda is a stop off point for some reason and being the Grotto is the closest hotel to the airport the military ends up there. The first night was the Israli army. The next night it was the German army. Overall it was a great hotel on the most beautiful island. By the way, Bemudians are very nice contrary to popular belief."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of September 2003

Hotels near Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Top traveller tips for Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa

• Marilyn C by Marilyn C

"Locate a room that's convenient for you rather than let the staff choose. Tell them your needs. "

• Louise S by Louise S

"There is everything that you would want at this hotel. "

Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa is also called