The Crane Resort

• kitchenette
  • microwave
  • self serve laundry
  • baggage storage
  • express check in check out
  • currency exchange
  • infinity pool
  • adult pool

My View

Reviewed Sat 11th of April 2009

"I went to The Reseidences at the Crane in 2005. This was vastley superior to the "The Hotel" and is a timeshare.

At the time of visit it only had one place to eat and was expensive and limited in what it offered. I do undetsrand that this has now been upgraded. The rooms where excellent, moreso if you happened to either have a ground floor or a corner unit."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of April 2009

Vastly overcharged

Reviewed Wed 25th of February 2009

"We booked to go to The Crane through Directline Holidays and found that we were vastly overcharged for what turned out to be a second-rate room.

We expected to be paying a lot for a good hotel in Barbados over New Year so paid over £5000 for the room. It was a little cheaper than one of their appartments but not a huge amount by comparison.

Imagine our dismay when we arrived to find that the room was effectively a back room to the appartments - a great deal smaller and dark with extremely poor lighting. It had a poorly-fitting adjoining door that wasn't locked and through which we got woken by noise from next door several times during the week. We had a single small mirror between us, which made getting ready to go out a challenge and couldn't even see well in the dim lighting enough to read. So on the 2 days that it rained, one of which was New Year's day, we ended up having to sit in the Reception area in order to be able to read. The final straw came when we discovered that we should have been paying about half what we were charged by Directline - making our holiday over £2000 too expensive.

I have since investigated the Directline website and found that their pricing mechanism is extremely dodgy. In one instance they are charging well over £9000 for a room that lastminute.com have at £2,345 for the same room type and same week! How can this be good practice?

I have posted this on here in an attempt to warn other people so that they don't get caught out the same way we were - either by Directline and end up paying way too much or by The Crane and end with a poor quality room when for not a great deal more they could have a decent sized appartment with a comfortable lounge and a view."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of February 2009

Unforgettable

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"The previous review was based on a visit to the hotel in 1996! It is under completely new ownership and is an absolutely gorgeous hotel approaching a 5 star rating. Check out the website and delete that nasty review!"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of August 2004

We Love the Crane

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"My new husband and I stayed at the Crane the week of July 9 - July 16 for our honeymoon. We couldn't have asked for a better place in the Caribbean. Upon our arrival, we were upgraded to a beautiful ocean view suite; beautiful flowers and a bottle of champagne were awaiting us to share our happiness. The rooms are decorated in a simplistic style with stunning cherry wood and vaulted ceilings. The Beach is picture perfect with pink sand, crystal clear water and never over crowed. The staff is amazing and L'Azure (the restaurant) was a pleasant experience with delicious seafood.

Our warmest thanks to the staff at the Crane!

My only advice would be to rent a jeep for your trip and explore Barbados...it's truly a beautiful place."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of August 2004

Old Fashioned Values

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My partner and I stayed at the Crane for 2 weeks recently in a ground floor apartment block (block4) with its own pool and view of the Ocean.
There was building work next door and joinery work on the top floor of our block.
Ignore the minor inconvenience and chill out at this beautiful location with helpful gracious staff.

Take the local bus for 1.5BDS into Bridgetown or the Gap to try the excellent restaurants on offer.(last bus back to The Crane is midnight) The busses are a hoot , the people are friendly give their seats up for the elderly and parents with children.Never a cross word just happy smiling faces.We cant wait to go back.Only disappointment was we couldnt use our private pool as it had nails/pipes and building debris in it.Dont expect the Manager to deal with it, very charming but ineffective!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of July 2004

great location

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"I stayed 3 nights at the Crane in June 2004.
We booked a garden room with air-conditioning first but changed to the historic old building.
The studio on the ground floor was like a private property with outstanding view of the ocean from high above the ocean. We loved the breeze all the time. Because of the constant wind from east always there are wonderful waves of smaragdgreen waters and the sand of the beach is white and clean. chairs and umbrellas at the beach, not crowded at all.
outstanding hotel pool for use all time.
No noise of air conditioning, no smell of kitchen exhaust, no noise of other guests.
Fabulous view from the restaurant -open to the ocean breeze. The property is located on a high coast. Different to the other hotels at Barbados.
There is building work at the Resort. After that will be finished it will become outstanding.
I will be back at The Crane in the historic part."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of July 2004

Terrible

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Stayed in the Crane recently. The service is hopeless at the reception desk. On arrival we were assigned a ground floor room with a garden view. We requested to be moved - this took over an hour to sort out (we had to pay extra). We were moved to a room on the top floor right next to the building site where they are building a new wing (lovely building noise starting at 7am). The noise from the building works and the appearance of the hotel are both dreadful. The builders are actually wearing t-shirts printed with "The Crane Building Team" on them. I really feel that we should have been warned of the amount of building work being carried out as we would not have stayed there if we had prior knowledge of this. They are also building a new restaurant. One highlight is that both the staff in the restuarant and the food is lovely too. There is good entertainment each night. Ask for Ivan - he's brill. There is a fab beach right next to the hotel too."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of July 2004

breathtaking

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"The most beautiful resort I've been to thus far. The pictures you see on the internet are the real thing!
The ocean view is spectacular and the beaches are crystal clear.
The service is exceptional.
I would definately refer this resort over any other in Barbados.
I plan to return."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of July 2004

Beauty, serenity and excellent service at the Crane

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We cannot say enough good things about our visit to the Crane in April 2004.

The setting is breathtakingly beautiful - photos of Crane Beach now make up the wallpaper of my computer at work, and I still marvel at what a stunning place I was privileged to visit. The Atlantic Ocean is far more powerful and volatile than the calm Caribbean Sea, but we preferred the sounds of the waves and the somewhat erratic conditions. The waves make the beach a little challenging for casual swimmers but great for body surfing.

The Crane's location on a point in a relatively unpopulated portion of the island gives a delicious sense of "getting away from it all," while the amenities are top-notch. The main pool is fantastic: meticulously groomed every day and the perfect temperature. The mahogany furniture in our room was elegant but also pleasantly casual. The bath was clean and well appointed, and the small air conditioner in the bedroom was welcome.

Our one bedroom suite came with a fully-equipped kitchen, which we highly recommend since there are no restaurants outside the resort within walking distance. The restaurant was fairly good (with an excellent atmosphere and view that is not affected by the nearby construction) although we found it quite expensive by American standards.

The staff was absolutely wonderful. Everyone at the front desk (which is staffed 24 hours a day) was friendly and helpful, and seemed genuinely pleased when we chatted about our latest adventures exploring Barbados. The weekly session introducing various island activities was enormously helpful, but the best part was that the front desk arranged all the package tours and ensured that we were picked up at the hotel's front step. The desk staff were particularly helpful in a crunch, when we had a work-related crisis come up and needed instant access to a computer and a data line. In short, the staff made our vacation truly effortless.

The construction on the grounds marred the view of the interior of the property somewhat, but since our room faced the pool and ocean it didn't affect us at all. Our stay in the historic hotel was perfect - no A/C necessary with stiff Atlantic breezes! - and we couldn't imagine that the newer apartments could be any better. Morevoer, there was NEVER any pressure about purchasing an interest in the time share program - in fact, it was hardly mentioned and we had to inquire to get information.

Caveat: If you are looking to shop duty-free every day, eat at a different restaurant every night, and visit the clubs, this is NOT the place for you. Its location is fairly inconvenient for all those activities, and cab fares can get quite steep. On the other hand, The Crane is the perfect place from which to enjoy a few day trips to destinations around the island and then spend the rest of the time relaxing in a beautiful, trouble-free setting."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of June 2004

Wonderful and Romantic

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed. We had a suite with a private plunge pool (very romantic). The hotel arranged in room massages for us both that were wonderful! Also, they made my husband's birthday celebration at the restaurant special.

The downside is the stairs and lack of facilities at the beach. I hear they are planning a glass elevator and hopefully they will add restrooms and bar service at the beach. Other than that, it was fabulous. If you have a problem negotiating stairs, this may be a problem for you. Also, it is located in an out of the way location. If you want nightlife within walking distance, you'll be disappointed.

Overall, I would highly recommend staying at The Crane. It is beautiful and romantic, enjoy!"

• Travel date: Fri 16th of April 2004

Beautiful property - loved it!

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I agree with all the positive comments here. The Crane is a beautiful property with a fabulous view of the ocean and a spectacular soft sand beach. We spent our honeymoon here, one week in October 2003. We stayed in a junior suite with a plunge pool. The rooms are just like the web site, we were not disappointed! I was a little concerned about getting charged extra for the air conditioning (something the front desk mentioned but then said it was included in our package) so check into that before booking. The pool was great but we never swam in it. We spent almost every day relaxing on the beach. There is only one restaurant but we found the food to be phenomenal....try the Crane Chubb and their calamari. They are doing quite a bit of construction and I did find it to be loud and disruptive during the hours of 8-5 weekdays. But most of that time, we fled to the beach or site seeing anyway so it didn't matter much. This property will be awesome when they are finished. You can do as little as you want here or the staff will help you plan activities all over the island. We mostly lounged.
This is a great place to unwind. We loved it!"

• Travel date: Sun 11th of April 2004

Never Wanted to Leave!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This is a fabulous resort! If you are looking for a mega-resort this is not the place for you. This is a very private resort. Although the resort was full at the time we were there it never felt like it.

Our vacation started off on a bad note when American Airlines stranded us in Miami FL during the first night of our vacation. American Airlines Sucks!!!

Anyway, we got to the resort at around 5PM the following day. We were warmly welcomed to Barbados by Bernice at the front desk. Within minutes we were checked into our room and were pleasantly surprised with the accommodations. The rooms were just as pictured on the website(thecrane.com). I opened up the doors to the balcony to find that we were facing the ocean. As I sat on the balcony taking in the view I felt some ocean spray touch my face as the waves hit the cliffs below.

The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. There was a full kitchen, beautiful wood floors and furniture and the rooms were truly air-conditioned by the trade winds. However, air-conditioning is available if you prefer. I loved going to sleep at night to the sound of the waves and wind. There were rooms that had their own private pools(tower plunge pools, 14ft and 28 ft disappearing edge pools).

Bernice, Diana, Ruby, Theresa, etc. assisted us with everything that we needed during our stay.

We dined in the restaurant(L'Azure) most of the time we were there.
They had excellent food. The menu consisted of fish, pasta, steak, and a limited amount of Thai food. In February 2004 they will be opening up a Thai restaurant at the resort and we were fortunate enough to meet Tui the chef. The service at the restaurant was excellent. Ian was our favorite waiter. Although Lisa, Gabby, King David, Tania, Yvette, etc.
were all wonderful too. We did make it to Josef's in St. Lawrence Gap one night and attended the Friday night festivities in Oistin's Bay.

The beach was beautiful! We snorkeled, boogie-boarded, and waded into the waves. At times the waves could be rough but if you stayed close to shore you didn't have to worry. My boyfriend found a beautiful conch shell and sand dollars while snorkeling. There is a little drink stand on the beach where you will meet Judy and her friends. I dare say that Judy might have stolen my boyfriend away from me if we had stayed any longer than one week. We also spent some time on the beach with a terrific guy named Jerry.

We rented a car for a couple of days and toured the island. We drove around the entire island on the first day and snorkeled on the west coast around the Marine Reserve on the second day. The road system is a little confusing in Barbados. Streets are not marked on the maps so it is kind of hard to follow but you see some beautiful scenery while making wrong turns.

I visited Daphne's Shell Studio on Congo Road to purchase beautiful Christmas ornaments made out of shells.

I can't say enough about this island. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and did not want to leave. We made some good friends while we were there and plan on returning in the near future. When we return we will stay at The Crane. Even the locals know it is the best place to stay while in Barbados to get the true feeling of the island."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of November 2003

Hotels near The Crane Resort

Stayed at The Crane Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for The Crane Resort

• CaroleS by CaroleS

"Ideal for people wanting a peaceful holiday "

• CaroleS by CaroleS

"Loved having breakfast in L "

The Crane Resort is also called