The Club, Barbados Resort & Spa All Inclusive

• tennis court
  • adult pool

Less than we Bargained for

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"My boyfriend and I just returned from the Almond Beach Club two days ago. We arrived at about 1:00 am and were given a room key with absolutely no directions on how to find the room. After looking around for about 20 min, we finally found it, with help from another couple.
The room was nice, a king-sized bed, loveseat, and a terrace, no problems there. When we woke up on the first day we were eager to explore the resort. Much to our dismay, we soon realized that there is no "real" beach, however, if you walk about 500 feet there is a beautiful beach, so it wasn't a huge problem. I don't know if it's because we're young or because we're non-British, but the treatment we recieved from the staff was unlike anything we've ever seen. With the exception of a few, most of the bar and wait staff were very rude and uncaring. When I was trying to have a friendly conversation with a bartender, she told me to move aside and let another man through.....and she was still in the process of pouring MY drink! I couldn't believe it. Another situation happened when my boyfriend asked for a few packages of ketchup and the waitress slammed them on the table and walked away. We met up with a large group of people from Canada, as well, and they found the same problem with the staff. Aside from some of the staff, the resort was quite nice, the food was great, and the nightly entertainment was ok. I think the resort is for older couples who are looking for peace and quiet because everything shuts down at around 11 pm. Barbados is a beautiful island and I would love to go back, just not to the Almond Beach Club."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2004

Almond Beach Club & Spa

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We enjoyed our weeks stay the food was very good The nightly entertainment was above average. The service in general was fine. The beach area is small and rocky so if you are looking to spend time on the beach & like the water this is not the place to go. The rooms are being remodeled. We were not lucky enough to get a remodeled room & were very disapointed in the quality of a delux ocean view room. It was small and needed a lot of work."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of February 2004

Almond Beach Club & Spa - no thankyou

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I went with a friend to Barbados late Jauary/early February 2004 and stayed at the Mango Bay Hotel about a mile from the Almond Beach Club. We had seven nights there and were due to have five nights at the ABC as the Mango Bay couldn't have us for two weeks when we booked. When we got there, the reception was lukewarm, we were sitting at the desk for 10 minutes before anyone checked us in, we were then shown to the darkest room in the hotel, with an air conditioning unit that must have come out of the Ark and plastic chairs and table on the verandah. The room was small, we had been given a double bed when we had specifically asked for two singles (we are both girls and good friends but that's as far as it goes!) and were told that the beds could be separated - not quite sure where to, as there was about a foot of room either side of the bed...! There was also a dirty flannel in the TV cupboard that had been left by a previous guest. Supposedly the room had been cleaned. We were also told that this room was an upgrade from the standard room we were due to have. Sorry, unimpressed. We knew we could go back to the Mango Bay as there had been cancellations, so we did - hooray! This may to some people appear an unfair review as we didn't stay there, eat there or anything else, but I am afraid the room was enough to put us off."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of February 2004

Brilliant Time at ABC

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We went to tbe ABC Beach Club and Spa Nov03 for 2weeks and were married there on the stretch of beach down the steps from the hotel and we had a FANTASTIC TIME!. When we arrived we were immediately upgraded to a Suite which was really nice. OK - so maybe some aspects of the room were a little tired looking (ie, the bathroom could do with updating slightly) but it was clean and in working order, so we didn't really have anything to complain about. The food was great and the staff were very friendly. Our Wedding Co-Ordinator (Anne) was really helpful and made sure everything was perfect for us. On the run up to our trip, I had read several negative reviews which really scared me and it spoilt the start to my holiday, however, upon arrival, all my fears were dispelled. I have to agree that anyone who is unhappy with this place is just a chronic complainer. OK, so there were a few minor renovations being undertaken at the ABC whilst we were there but it by no way caused any inconveniece to us or spoilt our holiday. At the end of the day, a holiday is what you make of it... and we LOVED EVERY MINUTE. We would definately return to the ABC."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of February 2004

You'll have a tough time beating this

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"You're going to have a tough time beating the Almond Beach Club. We wanted an adult only resort and that's why we chose the "Club" over the "Village." The "Village" is Almond's bigger resort up the road about 20 minutes. They run shuttles back and forth all day until about midnight.
Food-wise, it's above average with exceptional food in Enid's. You can eat there every night if you call early enough. The breakfast buffet is very good. I got my eggs cooked to order every morning. Lunch is lunch and fine by me. Some days they had a buffet but you could always order from the menu. We got in about 7:30 p.m. and were taken directly to our room, no checking in or anything like that. The room was really nice.
I'm an atmosphere guy, not a bathroom nazi, and I loved the decor. The bedroom was separate from the living room. TV's in both rooms. Bedroom with air conditioning, the living room opened up to the patio. We were on the ground floor. I walked out through the patio and looked to my right and there was the beautiful bar and dining room with a band playing. Right next to the pool. It was dark and the lighting was striking. Wow, I said to the wife, let's get over there. She wanted to unpack and get all set up and organized and I said fine, I'll see you at the bar. It was a long day for us as we didn't have a charter flight. I'm an atmosphere guy, but I'm a bar guy, too, so the first thing I checked out was the quality of the juice. Wow. You wouldn't believe it. Gordon's Gin, Beafeater, Smirnoff vodka, Johnny Walker Red and Black, Jim Beam bourbon, Jack Daniels, Martini and Rossi vermouth.
I'm a gin guy, so seeing that Gordon's bottle was like looking at the first sun burst at the 4th of July fireworks. The bartender tried to short pour me at first but I just told him to fill it up with ice and gin, buddy, I'm anchoring in here. After the first night, they all knew what I wanted and they were good about it. The house policy is probably to give a little taste on the rocks if they order straight booze, but where I come from we avoid joints like that. Plus, since it's all inclusive, all I would do is keep running the legs off the poor guy if he insisted in sticking with the short pour. I took a pocket full of $1 bills just in case, so I figured if nothing else, that would work, but I didn't need to pull out any tricks. That first night they had some kind of beach barbeque night. Guys were set up on the beach close to the beach bar with their individual cooking going on. It was okay, I really didn't pay much attention to it. The atmosphere was just so nice, I was in heaven. When we went through immigration at the airport, my guy asked me where we were staying and I told him and he asked us who selected the hotel. I told him I did and he said that we lucked out. The Almond Beach Club was his favorite spot in Barbados. So I felt good about it from the get go. The next day, our first full day, we took the shuttle up to the Village to see what was going on there. What a ball we had. As you walk in and walk straight to the beach, there is a beach bar to the left and another one to the right. We checked them both out and chose the one on the right. What a riot. Buffet lunch on the beach. Two pools right there one with no kids allowed and the beach which is really THE beach in Barbados. We joked around with the bartenders all day until this bar closed at 5 O'clock and then we took the shuttle back to the "Club." Whereupon my wife went straight to bed to sleep this off. I changed clothes and headed to the bar and started meeting some English people. I have never encountered this species before. I'll tell you what, those English people are funny with a capital F. I never laughed so hard in my life. We had dinner reservations at Enid's for 8 O'clock so the wife pulled herself together and we went and had a great meal. But the mistake of trying to keep up with me all day necessitated her hitting the deck right after we finished. So back to the bar I go with the band playing and everybody having fun. The band quit and the bar closed at 11:00 so I figured that's that for the first full day. Not bad. But the one English cheese broker I met said, we're going to the Piano Bar now, come on. It opens when the main bar closes and goes til 2:00. There again, I'm checking out the stock and you've got Cognac, Grand Marnier, Johnny Walker Black, Jim Beam, etc. Most nights the Piano Bar has sing along stuff and it was full of English people who thought I was real funny partly due to the way I talked. It was just a fun time in there but it gets late pretty quick. It's a big decision to go to the Piano Bar because once you get there, you're going to close the place in all likelihood. The next morning all the English guys I met the night before were asking the wife how she was feeling. She said I must have met everybody in the whole place while she was sleeping it off. Not quite honey, only the drinkers. The general manager of the Almond Beach Club is a big guy by the name of Nello. Thanks for your friendliness, Nello. I'm the guy that told you Lucille sent her love to you. Lucille was one of the fun bartenders at the beach bar in the Village. We didn't know it but you have to wear pants after 5:00 and women can't wear even fancy shorts. I liked that too, because it made you go back to your room for at least a short break to shower and change. You can imagine getting into a descent state of haze and just saying the heck with it, I'll stay in my swim suit all evening and order a hot dog. And they enforced that rule to. We went on a tour that the gal from Funjet recommended. Uncle Ted's or something like that. When we got picked up, one of the couples said to us, wow, that place really looks nice. I told her it is. When you see it from the street, it is impressive. When you get in there, it really shines. We took the local's bus to Bridgetown one day to see what was up down there. That was fun, too. It cost, I think $1.50 U.S. each way. If you take a taxi, you'll probably pay $20.00 each way. The Bajan people are really quite poor. But they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Yeah, they don't move as quick as you might like, but they go through this all day everyday.
Non-stop vacationers wanting food and drink right now. And by the way, don't be looking for any loud and crazy partying at the Almond Beach Club other than what I told you about the Piano Bar. This place is quiet. The day starts off quiet as a church mouse and stays that way until it slowly revs up to when the band starts. The entertainment is pretty descent. Then BOOM - the Piano Bar. So in conclusion, unless you are some kind of unfriendly creature who is looking for the world to provide you with all the thrills in your life without YOU actually doing something, you will love the Almond Beach Club. I saw where some idiot gave the place one filled in "O" but if you read his review, he was reviewing the wrong place. Feel free to email me, I loved our week there. And if you are from the States like I am, and have never had the opportunity to interact with the English people, you are in for a treat. I want to go to an all-inclusive in Antiqua. If any of you can recommend a good place like the Almond Beach Club in Antigua, please email me. I would really appreciate it. God's Speed."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of January 2004

The perfect honeymoon destination

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"I read some bad reviews of the ABC before we went and was very worried about what to expect - fortunately we had nothing to worry about - this is the pefect place for relaxing - the food was the excellent, the beach beautiful, pool area etc lovely. While the rooms weren't of a 4 star quality (we had a garden view suite) they were clean and spacious.
There is only one bar in the evening at the ABC which can become a little dull however the the Almond Village is the place to go for some variation. Make sure you hire a car and see the Island and also go on a few of the organised excursions, we went on the Catamaran crusie which I recommend. Don't be put off by the bad reviews, if you are looking for a peaceful holiday (perfect for honeymoon like us) then ABC is for you."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of January 2004

Paradise

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I stayed here earlier on in the year and also about 5 years ago. I love this hotel. You get the best of both worlds. This hotel is an adults only hotel, but you can use the free mini bus which takes you up to the sister hotel - The Almond Beach Village, so you can use their facilities too. Up there you get to dine in the fantastic Italian restaurant in the evenings, or help yourself to pizza, chips and ice cream machines in the day time. The Club is more intimate and you can walk for miles on the beach. Not far down from here is the Sandy Lane hotel where you can star spot - when we were staying here we saw Jordan and the english footballers! There is really good entertainment every night, although I didn't really want to be part of the show myself (I got dragged up on stage one night). The snorkelling is great here with a ship wreck to snorkel around very nearby. The food is fine here, but if you fancy an a la carte meal then book up for the italian at the village! I also recommend the sunset catamaran cruise, a trip to Bottom Bay and the Flower Forest."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of December 2003

Kids Free?????????

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I question that one. We went to the Club for our 20th anniversary. We have children who are 12 & 14 so I recognize what a 16 year old looks like. Left them at home but ended up spending our anniversary in a resort with lots of 10 - 16 year olds running around. What a way to spoil an adult vacation. Resort did nothing but make excuses."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of December 2003

Heaven on Earth!

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"My family and I have been going to ABC for 9 years for 2 weeks during XMas and New Years and adore the staff, food, drink, beach and sun - this is a fantastic hotel!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of December 2003

A Dream Come True!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"We went to the Almond Beach Club & Spa for our honeymoon in May, 2002.
It was the perfect spot to relax and enjoying being alone. There was no pressure to participate in cheesy beach games like at some other resorts. People were friendly, but generally kept to themselves...exactly what we wanted on our honeymoon. It was a peaceful atmosphere - no kids, not a lot of noise. The room was huge, the staff was very helpful and friendly, the food was delicious. It's true there isn't a huge beach but when we were there it wasn't very crowded. The rocks and trees on the beach area make for a beautiful effect. This place really was a dream come true for us. Can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of November 2003