Tamarind by Elegant Hotels

Unfair comments on Trip Advisor Site

Reviewed Wed 6th of May 2009

"Following reviews on Tamarind Cove I arrived full of trepidation. I am a professional Event Manager and regularly manage events overseas which, in turn, raises my expectation in respect of hotel offerings.

We were absolutely delighted with the warm welcome we received from the Tamarind team. The hotel was in excellent condition - the rooms spotless. the service at breakfast was fast, friendly and fault free. I am at a loss to understand some of the reviews which I perceive to be very unfair reflection. There is a Customer Relations Manager on site who goes to enormous lengths to ensure he speaks to all new customers thus giving them an opportuity to address problems 'in the moment'.

I can't speak highly enough of this hotel and I hope my review encourages other visitors to give it a try. Indeed they have repeat business going into its 34th year!

Patti.."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of May 2009

From our experiences in Barbados we feel...

Reviewed Sat 21st of July 2007

"From our experiences in Barbados we feel the west coast is definitely the best location on the island. The beach at Tamarind Cove is great. Don't get persuaded into paying for a turtle watching trip, borrow snorkelling gear from the water-sports hut & walk 100m down the beach to the turtle site!

The hotel was approx half full and the service from the staff was excellent. Dinner at Sasso's in the hotel was intimate and cosy. Daphnes restaurant next to the hotel isn't worth bothering with, the hotel food that good it isn't necessary to go elsewhere! Daphnes is pretentious and expensive with a particularly unpleasant head waitress!

Overall great hotel in fantastic location-enjoy!"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

The hotel is very nice, we had an ocean...

Reviewed Wed 13th of June 2007

"The hotel is very nice, we had an ocean view room right on the beach.

The food is also very nice, in both Tangiers and Sasso. A big variety of dishes, and lots of different flavours.

The pools are all lovely, and staff is friendly.

Only problem I found it was the birds, somehow they managed to always get in the restaurants and fly all over the tables and the food especially if left unattended.

Other than that it's definitely a lovely place!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of June 2007

Admittedly one of the friendliest places...

Reviewed Wed 15th of February 2006

"Admittedly one of the friendliest places I've been to.
All staff so welcoming and cheery. All guests receive glass of punch on arrival. Fruit punch certainly refreshes and quenches your thirst.

Hotel was kept clean throughout and found that our room was bright and airy (Pool/Garden View). All rooms air conditioned.

At time of travel, few families at hotel which was favourable. This particular hotel; though catering for children suits couples ideally.

Plenty of watersports operate from hotel, right on the beach.

Two restaurants featured at hotel include 'Tangiers' and 'Sasso'.
Tangiers is the main restaurant where you'll have most of your meals. Sasso restaurant was only used for evening dinner though was not open every night.

Daphne's (a la carte) restaurant is located next door to Tamarind Cove and guests can receive a credit towards meals here if you're booked on Half Board basis or above. Daphne's offers a truly romantic setting.

Tamarind Cove is in a great location too. Only a 20 minute drive to Bridgetown. Has a clean, quiet, unspoilt sandy beach with overhanging palms. Convenience store is located just across the road.

We took a 20-25 minute walk to Holetown, heading North. Enjoyed the scenery and chatting to locals. Shopping is never a problem and you'll generally find many a bargain in Cave Shepherd stores. We checked out stores in Holetown and Bridgetown (more on offer at Broad St, Bridgetown).

Hotel operates complimentary shuttle service to its sister hotels although this service needs to be requested in advance. I'd say it'd be worth asking at point of check-in.
Do take the time to check out the many excursions available, book able at the concierge desk in the main lobby area.

If you're the adventurous type, try the 'Jeep Safari'. Lunch is included and you get to see the hidden delights Barbados has to offer.

Mount Gay Rum tour is interesting although it is only a short tour, perhaps worth considering if you're en-route to do some shopping in Bridgetown. Tours lasts approx 45mins.

Should you choose Tamarind Cove, I doubt you'll be disappointed."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of February 2006

Fabulous!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"We honeymooned at Tamarind Cove in August/September 2004. We found all the staff to be extremely helpful (in particular Ryan and Andre). The hotel was extremely clean and well kept - with gardeners out every day and staff always on hand to serve you by the pool or on the beach. Our room was fantastic - great views, loads of room, extremely clean and when our air conditioning unit broke down - we had a new replacement the next day.

Having read a fair few guide books prior to coming to Barbados (which I suggest everyone does!), we were aware of a few things: that Aug/Sept/Oct were classed as the tropical season, and that it may rain for an hour a day, but in general the weather would be fine; we were also aware of 'the Bajan way of life' and were told that it's not unusual to have to wait a while for your drinks to be served or your food to arrive - but we were on holiday - so what's the hurry?! Luckily for us, it only rained the once (which was a great opportunity to spend some time in the fantastic shopping centres in Bridgetown - Tiffanys is a must!).

We had a fantastic time, loved how everything was so laid back, and can't wait to return. We only hope that when we do return, we don't have to listen to those holidaymakers who have nothing to do but moan about things for two weeks - Tamarind Cove is great - don't let anyone tell you different!!"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of October 2004

Lovely Romantic Getaway- back again next year

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Dear prospective guest at the Tamarind Cove. We just loved our stay at the Tamarind cove. Just about everyone we met, from honeymooners, to athletic mid-career professionals, to retirees, expressed similar feelings. The hotel's Mediterranean architecture is artistically integrated with pools, masonry water features, and gardens, all of which are kept clean and neat and trimmed up. The grounds are intimately related to the beach, the best on Paynes Bay, with just the right mix of sandy bottom for swimming and coral for snorkeling. The fish were amazing. (Tip: bring foam water socks to avoid bruises on sharp coral). Our room, an economically priced Pool/Garden View Room, was modern, designed in pastels and marble, and functional. It opened directly on a private balcony facing a mahogany tree draped with an immense vine overflowing with scarlet flowers. We went through a travel agent specializing in island inns who knew the hotel and who arranged prepayment of the rooms to avoid any misunderstandings with package and rates. There are a very few rooms which have not been recently renovated that one should avoid. A couple I met who was assigned such a room was quickly relocated upon asking.

The staff were educated, graceful, fun, and deserving of your respect. The food was 4 star quality, presented artistically, the service paced appropriately, and the musical entertainment appreciated. When buffets were offered, the variety was wide and local dishes were always included. The birds people complain about in their reviews are just little birds! We were expecting seagulls and pelicans. They are really easy to deal with.

One should note that the May-Sept period is the slow season and the hotel may not be full. Some hotels close for this period. This accounts for the very reasonable room rates we received, including "American plan" meals, and $50B credit towards meals in top rated Daphne's restaurant next door, which we indulged. However in turn, you cannot expect both in-hotel restaurants to be simultaneously open in this period.

My wife and I feel this is a hotel for romantic, artistic, nature and water lovers who are interested in the Bajan people (The hotel is Bajan owned). If you are looking for a "luxury" experience where your every whim is pandered to, go elsewhere (and pay more).

I hope more fellow compatriots get their U.S. passports in order and go to the Tamarind and meet our delightful British counterparts. Dress at dinner is elegant casual- come on- you can do this!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of October 2004

Tamarind, the best holiday ever!!!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Sept 13-28th:My wife and I are just back one day and would return to Tamarind Cove Hotel tomorrow, if we could. Granted, the weekend staff at breakfast, were a little below par, but through out the week, we had great enjoyment with all of them, inclu Anton, the Chef. We never met Kirk, but Sandra and Ryan, Olivia x2, Joseph, Andre, Ersuline, Alexandra, Pamela, just to name a few really made it worth our while flying 9 hours from Ireland to Barbados. Water taxi? Used it all the time, even to "cruise" up and down the coast line. I suppose, it depends on how you treat others. Always treat others how you would like to be treated and then just maybe, you will end up in their local papers as we did. Watch out for the birds, they're really after your meals. We had a fantastic time. Go and enjoy! Oh and by the way: ask for a kettle and bring tea and coffee along, come in habdy at the end of the day. Oh and another thing: There were Beach attendants and they served. As far as the rain is concerned: Sept - Oct IS the Rainy season!!! Expect thunder storms and power cuts, but hey, it's all part of the fun. they call it: "Liquid sunshine" !. Don't let the "Original Pineapple Man" bother you and Eddie: Well say Hello to him from us, when you get your reflexology done on the beach. A very big HELLO to Elton, he really likes his Mohamed Ali T-Shirt. Haggle with him when buying from him. A very funny man. The Irish Gang!"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of September 2004

Luxury Hotel It Is Not

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"This was a holiday supposed to be of dreams. Having brought up three children to teen age, my wife and I were looking forward a luxury holiday alone. Dreams may have been the operative word. We left the U.K. on 4th September 2004 just in time for Hurricane Ivan! We were booked into room 228 a luxury junior suite with ocean view. This was one of the best hotel rooms we have ever had, but the plumbing was poor and outdated. You have to quickly get used to an attitude from the management and staff that they sometimes do not take you seriously. They seemed to think that because the sun shone (it rained every day at least once), and the beach was idyllic (beach area is supposed to be served by beach attendants but was not), what more could we want? To allow our Full Board American plan meal exchange facility to operate, there was supposed to be a water taxi to take us to the other hotels in the Elegant Hotels Group. The boat was "broken" and was never seen during our two weeks. No apology given but road taxi will be provided only if you ask). The staff members that do get my approval are Sandra, Ryan and Kirk. I hope they are quickly promoted to replace the Manager and General Manager. The coffee and the breakfasts are good. Watch out for a ubiquitous and unadvertised daily tourist tax of $4 that is automatically added to your room bill. The hotel occasionally tries to entertain with live music and shows on some nights, but does not seem to inspire the guests. The drinks are expensive. The hotel’s location is superb set right next to the beach accessed via delightful tropical gardens. The Sasso restaurant is very good with a quality that exceeds expectations, but the Tangiers buffet style restaurant does not. Room service is quick and offers an extensive choice. My main concern is that this is not a luxury hotel, but has the price and pretensions of being so."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of September 2004

Great place - going back in November

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"We loved this hotel, so much so we have booked again for November, and are taking my parents.
We only got back 3 weeks ago.
The food is great, the grounds and pools are beautiful, and the food is of a high standard.
The staff are mostly friendly, and the reception and concierge go out of their way to help you.
Try the Ruibyatt (spelling?) for the best cat cruise we have ever done - especially with the swimming with the turtles. Captain Eddie limits the numbers to make sure everyone is comfortable.
The only complaint we had was the birds all over the restaurant at breakfast and lunch - quite horrible, especially when you go to move a chair and put your hand in something nasty. This could be fixed with nets.
Not enough to put us off returning - the problem didn't seem to exist if you took your meal around the bar area, which is what we will do when we return."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of September 2004

A wonderfully relaxing place

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"We stayed at Tamarind Cove during August.
We have nothing but praise for the hotel, staff, food,atmoshere and upkeep of the complex.
We went there to relax and chill out. Due to the friendly and relaxing atmoshere, we were doing this from day one. Everyone was very friendly towards us and whatever we asked for, was met with "my pleasure"

I have read other reports of this hotel on this site.Where people have been moaning and whinging with different complaints.I had to wonder where they were staying as their comments did not reflect even remotely what we found there.

On one occasion our meal was slow in comming to our table. The management allowed us to keep our room till we left on our departure day. Gave us a meal and anything we wished to drink with it. All free of charge as a goodwill gesture. This is the level of care we found there.

All the staff were brilliant from the management to the cleaners. We were always greeted with a friendly smile etc.

I canot finish this report without mentioning one of the Bar Staff Andrei who was fantastic fun and an absolute asset to the hotel.

Yes I would recommend Tamarind Cove to anyone who is looking for a little piece of heaven. Yes the pace is slow. But is that not what's needed on a relaxing holiday.
And for those who were not happy. Bring your bags. But leave the Baggage at home !!"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

Don't visit this dreadful resort!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"I stayed at Tamarind Cove in August 2004 with my family. Generally, it was a disappointing experience. We arrived after a delayed flight to a room that wouldn't even open. And, the worst thing was the fact that we were right next to the busy road and right above the kitchens. The noise all through the day and night was unbearable. There is also an Esso petrol station opposite the hotel. However, this was useful for us because the prices of the food and drink in the garage was a fraction of the price you pay in the resort. But the room was clean and attractive.
The Caribbean is known for its laid-back lifestyle, but the staff at this resort are just simply lazy. On most days our rooms were not cleaned until 3 o'clock in the afternoon. The maids just hang around the balconies.
The food in the restaurants was lovely, both the buffet and a la carte restaurants. However, those who stay in the resort on a full board basis are treated differently to those who have to pay for their food. They consider those on a room only basis more important and treat others with no respect. On one evening at the Sasso restaurant, the waitress left our plates in front of us for half an hour. When she did collect them, she was very heavy-handed, scraping the left-over food onto one plate very roughly. We tried to order dessert but she just walked away. We complained but nothing was done.
Towards the end of the week, I asked for an update on our account and discovered that $4 is taken off per day per room for tourism on the island. We were not told this at the beginning of the week, but we were refunded.
This was a rather disappointing holiday, considering the amount of money you have to pay. It is definitely not a 4 star hotel. It is supposedly part of the Elegant Hotels Group but it is by no means luxurious. The service is terrible and there is little to do. Too much money has been spent making the reception look attractive and less on the more important features. So avoid it and visit another hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of August 2004

Very nice holiday "Thank you very much"

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"I booked our family holiday in January this year, and was looking forward to the break. However, a week before we were due to go my wife stumbled across some derogatory reviews on an internet web page, which put us into a terrible panic. We arrived at the hotel on the due date expecting to find a dreadful place. Fortunately for us, those reviews we read did not do the hotel justice.
We found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful, which was contrary to the reviews.
The food was of a high standard and plentiful. I did however have to ask for the chef to produce some local authentic dishes which they did willingly.
There was no alcohol included in what was termed as an "All Inclusive" holiday which I booked through an American Travel agent, but that didn't matter as my final drinks and extras bill for the two weeks was only £400 (for 4 adults).
Some drinks (i.e bottled Water) I bought from the ESSO Petrol station across the road and stored them in the fridge in the room. Although we found out later that if you ask the staff, they will supply you with a jug of ice water, whenever.
One of the reviews that mentioned the birds being a nuisance was partly correct. That being that the review gave the impression that the birds caused a problem at all meal times.These birds were more of a nuisance at breakfast but they must have been alseep at dinner time.
The rooms we had (116 & 117) were spacious, and kept very clean, although I think that the bathroom requires refurbishment. The hotel were at the time of our stay conducting refurbishment work so this may be done in due course.
There is a bar over the road (Crocodile Bar)where I got all the information I needed regarding whats going on locally. Also the hotel and water sports staff will tell you where to go if you need a night out
The water sports facilities were included in the package and the staff were very competent and friendly.

We would go back."