Good

Returned recently from a stay at The Fai...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2008

"Returned recently from a stay at The Fairmont Royal Pavilion and it is very difficult to pick fault with the place. Rooms are very spacious and luxurious, even fitted with a plug socket for UK 3 pin plugs.

Whichever room you stay in you are guaranteed a fabulous view, as all rooms are about 10 metres from the beach. The beach is fabulous although the sand was not quite as good as the white coral sands of Antigua we experienced recently. At first glance, it didn't look ideal for snorkelling as it appeared too flat and sandy, however I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of fish if you looked in the right places, and I even saw a big turtle, no more than 20 metres from the beach.

You have to watch the sunsets they are amazing - everyday slightly different.
We had breakfast in the Hotel which was excellent, plenty of fresh fruit and plenty of choice to suit everyone. We took a meal in our room one night and the room service was excellent and not bad value considering the surroundings. We didn't eat in the Hotel Restaurant, as there were so many great places to eat nearby.

The Hotel restaurant did not appear to be very busy and was a little too highbrow to earth in everyday.

Travel into Holetown (a good walk if you are fit) and there are some great restaurants there, in fact there are great restaurants all over the island. Try GROOTS bar, which is just down the road to Holetown from the Fairmont. The walls are decorated with names of previous customers including a few rich and famous - even Michael Winner has managed to force himself away from the Sandy Lane and try the place. From the outside, it looks a bit like a fancily painted garden shed, but inside, the beers cold, the foods good and it has a great atmosphere.

Staff at the Royal Fairmont Hotel are very friendly and helpful - Ann the Concierge was charm itself and excellent at her job, as was Ingrid who checked us in was also very good, taking time on several occasions to make sure we were ok and had no problems.
We even saw a group of Barbados Green Monkeys in the very well kept Hotel Grounds.
Will certainly visit this Hotel again, the only thing I would do differently next time is have a hire care available for the whole holiday, simply for convenience. Holetown is a pleasant walk away if your fit, but a car makes getting around that bit easier. We hired a car for two days and saw a lot of the island - driving no problem but I recommend a 4 x 4 or something fairly substantial as the roads are a bit hit and miss in places. My advice to anyone considering visiting this Hotel is - DO IT! You won't be disappointed."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of January 2008

Barbados is a beautiful island filled wi...

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2007

"Barbados is a beautiful island filled with many treasures, the climate beaches, and people to name just a few. On our arrival at the airport we were greeted by a bubbly representative, Cindy was her name, and she had us in stitches of laughter before we could get into our shuttle.

On arrival at our hotel, the Royal Pavilion, we were received with more smiling faces. Our entire stay at the resort was superb. We found the accommodations to be very comfortable and the decor was great and so was the food.

Many days we just migrated between our room and the beach. What beautiful beaches they have in Barbados, it is hard to leave such a place. Many days I would just lie on the beach and soak in the beauty of it all.

We went on several outings whilst on the island. Our first was to the islands town, Bridgetown. It is a wonderful little town with a great mix of modern stores full of gorgeous jewels, a few of which I happily bought along the way - duty free of course :o).

Mixed with the old statues and buildings, part of the town is like a miniature Trafalgar square in England. We had a wonderful time in the town. It was also helpful that there is actually a free shuttle service for visitors that leaves the hotels on a schedule so there was no need for a cab.

On another day we took a great cruise up the west coast of the Islands. We had an awesome time and the beaches looked even more beautiful looking right onto them from the boat. The crew were very friendly and pointed out Oprah' house to us along with many other homes of the rich and famous. We also had a great time snorkelling on the cruise and we got to swim with the sea turtles :o) what an experience anyone visiting the island simply must do this.

Our favourite day on the Island was the day. Yes the day the day we took a tour with Glory Tours.

We chose to do the Natural Wonders Tour as we found it to cover many of the stops we wanted to see. Harrison's Cave Orchid World St John’s Church Bathsheba. The East Coast and the Barbados Wildlife Reserve. From the very start our day started with a laugh when Sarah, our tour guide, picked us up for our tour. Laughter continued the entire day for us, and for everyone else fortunate enough to have gotten a seat on our tour. She told so many stories of pirates and cannibals, lovers and duels and of cows jumping over cliffs and goats that butt you in your butt.

Oh we had great fun. Sarah as it turns out is the owner of the company and her family has been on the Island many years. In fact her family were given land from King James for fighting in a battle on behalf of England. Her great grandfather was the first photographer on the Island and she has great stories to tell.

Aside from the great entertainment the tour offered, we enjoyed all the stops thoroughly. The gorgeous caves, the wonderful colours of the garden, the history of the old church and the view. Oh the views! Lunch was great!

As I write this I am hungry and could do with a meal from Curtis at Sand Dunes, a restaurant serving up some great local cuisine. Our last stop on the tour was the wild life reserve where we watched the monkeys at play and laughed in hysterics at a couple from another tour who turn and ran as soon as the monkeys decided they wanted to say hello by yanking on the ladies skirt LOL what great fun. If you ever visit Barbados you must simply hunt down Sarah tell her Jenny and Paul sent you.

The rest of our trip was spent enjoying the beach and the wonderful cuisine of the local restaurants like Carmbola, the Cliff and Picies visit them all and leave 10Ibs heavier it’s well worth it.

So do yourself a favour and holiday in Barbados I will be again!"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of November 2007

Absolutely beautiful hotel, all rooms ov...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of August 2006

"Absolutely beautiful hotel, all rooms overlooking the beautiful Caribbean Sea. The people are so friendly, we used the local transport every day to visit Holetown, where the restaurants were half the price of the hotel, everyone else is so rich they used taxis, but we - along with the more adventurous, used the local buses, which blasted out reggae music, and were so much fun.

Complimentary afternoon tea every day was delightful, sitting in the beautiful restaurant, overlooking the beach. Delightful sandwiches and home made cakes and a pot of tea, stunning. The free water sports were great, we went scuba diving and a trip to see and snorkel with the turtles.

Luxurious rooms, and the maid came in every evening to turn down our bed, luxury. Would really recommend this hotel for couples/honeymoons, relaxation and luxury - but venture out and meet the locals."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Good Hotel but Pricey

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"We stayed at the hotel for two nights in September.We found the rooms to be very well furnished and equipped.All the hotel's amenities were top drawer,in particular we would put their restaurant - The Palm -up there with the top restaurants on the Island.

It was only when I compared the room rate with that of the Coral Reef that my enthusiasim began to pall."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of October 2004

Amazing

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel in June 2004 and can not possibly fault it. The welcome was very walm and genuine and the rooms are all facing the see. My room (which was gorgeous) was on the ground floor and had a beautiful patio, over a small wall was the beautiful beach. After having stayed in most of the hotels in Barbados I can definately say that this is the best beach I have seen. Water sports are readily available. I went snorkelling just of the beach and even saw a sea turtle. Waterskiing is available free of charge also which is unheard of usually. The best thing I did was jet skiing, it was the most amazing and scary experience, totally unmissable!
The food was fantastic too. The dinner entertainment was a Louis Armstrong type playing the piano, it was perfect. He even sang happy birthday to one of my party which was such a nice touch. The chef made him a special birthday pudding and even came out to say hello and happy birthday in person. We had only mentioned to the waitress that evening that it was his birthday so that was brilliant.
The holiday was better than you could ever expect. I booked through British Airways Holidays and their service is completely unmatchable. I'll definately be going back as soon as possible! Couldn't recommend it highly enough!!"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of October 2004

Disappointed

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"When we checked into the Royal Pavilion, the staff were very friendly and welcoming, but we were disappointed with the overall feel of the place. We've stayed at lots of 5 star properties and this resort just didn't feel 5 star. It has all the boxes ticked that would make it such, ie 24hr room service, two restaurants, gym, business centre etc but it felt tired round the edges. Our room didn't disappoint and was large and overlooked the ocean, but the rest of the hotel was weary. The pool was full of leaves and unexciting. The loungers/chairs were a little tatty.

During our stay, building works commenced on some of the communal areas and it was noisy. We had drilling outside our room from 9am until 7pm, so we checked out and went elsewhere. Ideally, the work would have been done when the hotel was closed rather than when guests were stepping around building work. When the work is finished, we're sure it will be worth a stay but I would wait until then if we were to return.

Good points are the signature restaurant Palm Terrace where we had outstanding food, the staff (special mentions to Barbara and John who were delightful), the rooms and afternoon tea. Maybe a trip in late 2005 but leave it until then if you're thinking of booking."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of September 2004

Fantastic Fairmont!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We have just returned from 10 days of luxury at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion in Barbados. The whole trip was excellent from start to finish and the staff were outstanding. I've never experienced such service. There are staff waiting to set up your sun bed every morning and a regular service to bring refreshments to you whilst you relax in the sun. Even refridgerated cold, wet face cloths are handed out in the afternoon if the day proves to be extra hot! The complimentary water sports are superb too. I can't say enough about this place. We're busy saving up for our next trip and we've only been home one day!!"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2004

Superb Honeymoon

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Our 1st Visit to the Carribean, and it was for our honeymoon. The Fairmont Royal Pavilion was a superb choice of hotel, with great room features, excellent all round service and a very friendly feel. Only slightly disappointed that the pool was a little small and unexciting, but the Sea and the water sports offered certainly made up for that. To follow up on what quite a few people have said - Barbados is not a cheap destination.

All in all we would go back again."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of September 2004

Wonderful resort with a terrific attentive staff and excellent food

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My wife and I went to celebrate our 15th anniversary at this beautiful island. Although the weather was not wonderful, rained a bit every day, this resort was truly first class. The water front 3rd floor suite we had was fantastic, with terrific amenities. The staff at the hotel was friendly, accommodating in every way, and the food and service was terrific. Would also recommend the restaurant "the Cliff" for a special night out - the restaurant itself is just breath taking and the food was superb. Also, take a trip to Bathsheba and have lunch at "Round House." We hated to leave and are looking forward to returning soon again."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of September 2004

Best Hotel we have stayed in

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"We go to a new Caribbean island each year. This was the nicest hotel, with the best service of any we have been to. The island is clean, friendly and the people seem extremely well educated. The food is a little pricey, coffee was $5 per cup, but the service was superb. Amanda, the manager, is a gem worthy of the best hotels. The concierge service was great. The bell captain has been there 17 years and taught us about Cricket.
One disappointment was the catamarans. They won't let you take them out alone. We have never seen that before. Lovely beach and beach service."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of September 2004

Exceptional Service

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We only get a few opportunities to travel without our kids and were hoping that this place would do our limited time justice. Along with an other couple, we decided on Barbados. We were a little taken back by the lack of mega resorts on this island. We were looking for the amenities of a large resort but the attention of a small one. The Fairmont Royal Pavillion was the perfect choice. Even though most of our luggage did not arrive when we did the hotel personnel jumped right in to assist us with securing our luggage. We were greeted by the manager Amanda when we arrived and she set the tone for the rest of the trip. The service for the most part was exceptional. The hotel room (oceanview deluxe) was the right size, recently redone with a beautiful marble bathroom and a gorgeous view of the ocean. The pool on the property needs to be updated to match the renovations already done in the lobby and rooms, which the manager indicated was next on the list to be updated. The common areas were well kept and the tea service offered at 3 PM a very nice touch. You are a cab ride away from most of the activities but the conceirge service is very knowlegeable and if one person helping you does not know a good recommendation for your request they will find the right person and get back to you. Everything that was requested was followed-up promptly. Special thanks to Peter the bartender who was extremely knowledgable about wines and drinks in general. The beach was very clean and the water sports abundant and for the most part free. Barbados is a very nice island, we recommend you at least tour the east side. The people are friendly and the restaraunts and night life (Harbour Lights) are plenty. The restaurants in the area offer a wide variety of ethnic cuisines as well as excellent seafood. It is an expensive island so brace yourself but you get what you pay for here."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of August 2004

Top Notch Experience !

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Just came back from my honeymoon at the Fairmont. I cannot say enough about the hotel. The service is 1st rate, the rooms are beautiful (they are all oceanfront), the beach and pool are great, the food is terrific. The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous, and best of all, it is elegantly quiet. Hardly any kids, but there is a lot to do if you want to. I personally went scuba diving (on premises, dove the stravonikita, a must if you are certified), and there is plenty of water sports. Even my wife went snorkeling with the turtles. The concierge is top notch. As for the price of the food, yes it is expensive, but so is every other restaurant on the island. Dinner at The Cliff (another must see) was $275 for two people. Afternoon tea is also a nice touch (I cant believe I actually enjoyed it !) All I can say is that I consider myself a veteran of the Caribbean, and this is hotel is certainly in my top two or three. Cant really find one negative thing to say."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of July 2004