Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels

About Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels

• swimup bar
  • kids club
  • babysitting

Good
( 2093 reviews)
Good

THE VERY BEST HOTEL WE'VE EVER STAYED IN...

Reviewed Sat 23rd of August 2008

"THE VERY BEST HOTEL WE'VE EVER STAYED IN!!!!

What a fantastic place, the food was great, drinks great, service of staff outstanding.
We got married here in Nov 2008 and we couldn't have ever picked a better hotel than this one. The staff couldn't help us enough with plans for our big day. Everything run to perfection & it made me so glad we never got hitched back here in the UK, we had a very stressfree day. They did everything for you, we had a meeting when we first got there for any preferences we may have and that was it. It was so stressfree that 1 1/2 before we got married my husband was out on a banana boat!!!
They got the best photographer on the island to do our photo's, steelpan etc - great day!!

Fantastic hotel, great for kids, our daughter of 2 years old loved the pool, loved the staff & loved the food!!!

When we can afford next we will be going back - 100%!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of August 2008

The best hotel I've stayed in. My dad g...

Reviewed Tue 12th of August 2008

"The best hotel I've stayed in.
My dad got married in the hotel, which was a lovely wedding. Very well organised with a gorgeous meal and champagne night. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming.

The fact its all inclusive makes it that much better, the buffet lunch was my favourite - tasty caribbean cuisine and a great selection for kids. The set meals at dinner were also nice, and room service and breakfast was good. You have to try the cocktails, there was nothing better than lying out on the gorgeous private beach with a refreshing drink. Watch out for the rum punch though - it was very strong!

The rooms were sufficient, the beds were comfy and you had a large bathroom and nice balcony. The TV didnt work quite so well, but when it did there was loads of good channels to choose from. Pool was nice, but there wasn't very many sunloungers.

I'd recommend a trip to Bridgetown, also we paid for a taxi ride around the island. I asked to go through little country villiages, it was very interesting and a real eye opener. Definatly bring a camera with you.

The only reason I didn't give it a 10/10 was because it wasn't within walking distance to anywhere - we had to get taxis everywhere plus the sea was rocky.

• Travel date: Tue 12th of August 2008

Myself and my husband stayed at the Crys...

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2007

"Myself and my husband stayed at the Crystal Cove for our honeymoon at the end of June 2007.

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by the very friendly staff who give us some rum punch (be careful it’s strong!!)

We were given a room right on the beach with a sea view. It was clean but slightly dated, the view was amazing, but you might want to take your ear plugs the waves splashing up on the rocks are very romantic but can be noisy.

The hotel is small and exactly what we were looking for with a small sandy well maintained beach. Don’t let it put you off that the Crystal Cove only has 2 restaurants, we have stayed in several hotels in the Caribbean, and this one takes some beating for the food offering plenty of different selections each day. Room service is available for free and is excellent we had breakfast on the balcony a couple of mornings and a snack after coming off the beach about tea time.

While we were staying at the Crystal Cove we ate out a couple of times, once at the Colony Club a ten minute taxi ride from the hotel which was very nice. Also we went to The Cliff, one of the best restaurants on the island so you must make a reservation well in advance. We were seated looking over the ocean it was very romantic setting and the food is out of this world, it’s not cheap but you have to go it’s well worth it!!!

We also had a night out in St Lawrence which was good you get to see the real Barbados it’s quite lively with bars open till early in the morning.

To sum up our stay Barbados is fantastic, the Crystal Cove is lovely, and I would definitely return again. I would also use ulookubook.com again as we fell as if we got a really good deal."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of November 2007

This is the second time we've stayed at...

Reviewed Fri 15th of June 2007

"This is the second time we've stayed at Crystal Cove; the first was our honeymoon the year before (Dec/Jan 06).

The hotel is lovely, on arrival you're made to feel really welcome, and the walk through the foyer leads you directly onto a sun terrace with fantastic views of the complex and the sea.

The rooms are clean and quite spacious, we've stayed in both standard and suite rooms and found both to be nicely decorated but probably ready for freshening up.

The lunch buffets were great but the food in the restaurant gets a bit tedious and the portions aren't very big so it's worth eating out a few nights.

We dined at The Cliff (St James) which is a lovely experience, super food and service but be prepared for the bill, we also tried the Fish Pot (St Peters) which we agreed was slightly better, again fairly expensive but worth every penny.

The Blue Monkey (St James) does great food at a reasonable price.

The hotel is fairly quiet and is geared towards families and older couples, this suited us but if you want somewhere lively this probably isn't the place for you.

Hire an open topped jeep, they're great fun for getting around in but remember to cover up to avoid sunburn.

Bajan are lovely people and make you very welcome to their island, hopefully we'll be back a third time soon."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

Excellent honeymoon location. 1 week in...

Reviewed Tue 8th of May 2007

"Excellent honeymoon location. 1 week in Tobago followed by 1 week in Barbados.

Stayed in 4* Crystal Cove Hotel with a double suite on the beach front with sun balcony and on-suite facilities.

Excellent restaurant, sauna, gym, outdoor pools (3 in total) pool side - under waterfall / swim up - bar.

Live entertainment every night. Popular wedding location.

Family friendly but still quiet and secluded at the same time.

Superb food and drinks service, room service available. Telephone in room, satellite TV.
Watersports available on the private beach, Jet Ski hire, paragliding, water skiing etc.

Well recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of May 2007

Average Joe "Nothing Special"

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"First impressions of this hotel were fantastic. Cool face flannels on arrival and rum punch etc.
As the holiday progressed we started to see more of the true side to the staff. Although many were polite, especially the porters, the reception staff and bar staff can be very rude and ignorant.
People thinking of going with children - beware - lots of surface rocks under the surface of the sea, also if you swim out of the small designated swimming area there is a decent possibility of being hit by a jet ski.
Birds at breakfast are quite annoying and very unhygenic - but it is an open air resturant.
Entertainment almost none existant, there was always a little something i.e. a singer, but this ended at about ten o clock.
Nothing to do outside within close proximity to the hotel, it has to be taxi taxi everywhere.
To end on a positive note for those who have already booked up, make sure you explore Crane Beach it is a must great for boogie boarding!!!
Have a nice holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of December 2004

Fantastic wedding and honeymoon

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"My partner and I were married at this hotel on 27/oct/04. This is the second time we have stayed here, the first time was in 2001. We decided if we were ever to marry this would be the place we would do it. I am so glad we did. So with 19 adults and 7 kids in tow off we went. We all had a fantastic time. The wedding co-ordinator Faye was fantastic we arrived 4 days before we were due to be married and everything was calm and relaxed the whole way. She realy puts your mind at rest if you have any concerns. I have to say the photographer Elenor was just the best, my photos are fantastic.Our flowers were superb. The whole day was perfect.

Now I should write a bit more about the hotel. Mostly the staff are great, there are however a few that need some customer service training mostly the bar staff and a couple in the resturant. The food in the resturant is of a high quality and there is plenty to drink. The birds are a major part of breakfast time, but its an open air resturant in the caribbean, what more can I say!!

The bell boys are so great they always have a smile for you and help you in any way they can. The maids are do a fantastic jobs, everyday our room was spotless. If any of you have kids try the kids club. I have always found that I just can't keep my kids out of the place, they just love it. it is open until 9pm so it was great if we wanted a meal in the evening on our own as the kids would eat at the club. The staff, Trudie, lisa and sherre are the best my kids adore them and they recognised the kids from the last time we were there. They even threw a birthday party for my son with a great big chocolate cake. He was very impressed as was I.

The pools are very pretty and although the beach is a bit small for some people we found it to be fine. There is a lady on the beach called Patnell who sell jewllery and does hair braiding and she is great. I had my bridesmaids hair done by her on the morning of the wedding and she did a fantastic job. I think having 23 of us there for 2 weeks kept her quite busy she custom made jewllery for us and we all came back with lovely bits and pieces.

All in all we all had a fantastic time we had the perfect wedding in a perfect location. We had our wedding reception at The Cliff resturant 5 mins down the road and if you get a chance to go you realy should it is superb."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of December 2004

An objective review

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This is beautiful, easy going resort, friendly relaxing and well equipped. I would recommend it.
Food is very good quality. This is a small resort and so you it never feels like a bun fight for food. Breakfast is a buffet with all the usuals: fry up, cereals, fruit, yoghurts etc cant fault it.
Lunch is either sit down at the restaurant or at Drifters bar. Likewise, supper is at restaurant or Drifters if it is open. You need to book you evening table, which works out well since service is quick yet relaxed.
Portions are not huge, yet with four courses at each lunch and evening meal, this realy wasnt a problem. Take it from me I'm a real fat boy and never went hungry.
There birds were a pain at breakfast. They keep away if you are sat at your table but if your table is left unattended they will swoop. Not a real problem but you do need to check a birdie hasnt pooped on your chair before sitting down."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of November 2004

Terrible resort

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Stayed November 19 - 24. Resort grounds - unimpressive. Room - basic. Food - limited choice and small portions. Drinks - Only 1 beer, and very little premium liquor. Beach - very small with little swimming room. Restaurant - birds taking food from the tables & a dirty cat walking around make for unsanitary conditions. Need I say more."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of November 2004

Wonderful vacation and wedding!

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Recently returned from a week at the Crystal Cove and overall was very impressed. The meals were delicious, often 4 courses with a la carte service, not buffet like at many other all-inclusives. Bar selection was great with many well-known brands. As far as the service goes, I agree with the previous reviewer who said apart from 1 or 2 of the staff members who were a bit surly, most of them were very friendly and attentive. Yes, the birds can be slightly irritating but this will be the same no matter where you stay if you are eating outdoors. We stayed a much fancier hotel on the same trip and the birds lurked around the tables there too.

If you are worried about vendors, they really weren’t a problem. I was approached only once the whole week by a local artist. The Jet Ski guys, who are there daily, usually ask you if you’re interested as you pass by, but they don't give you a hassle if you say no. After reading negative reviews about the beach, I was worried about the size but it was fine. Again, we had stayed at a luxury hotel on the same trip and the beach there was much smaller. From what I could see along the western coast line, the beaches aren’t very wide anywhere. A great thing about the Elegant chain is you can take free water taxi to any of their hotels and use their beaches and restaurants. Other pluses were the water sports, beautiful pools and of course, the swim-up bar. I didn’t use the gym, but those that did said it was pretty impressive.

If you are thinking of bringing a group down for a wedding, this is the place to do it. The wedding coordinator, Fay, is fantastic. She took care of everything for a group of 60 people, right down to the last detail. The ceremony and dinner setting were beautifully done and we had a fabulous party afterwards with a local band, High Energy. We were even given a free room upgrade with an ocean view which was gorgeous. I did have look at the other rooms, and while basic, they are bright and clean, each with a balcony and large bathroom with dual sinks.

In regards to the previous reviewer’s comment that it wasn’t a 5-star hotel, I would agree, it’s about a 4 star. But it certainly deserves the rating of ‘excellent’ here because of value for money. We wouldn't hesitate to back to the Crystal Cove - it was an unforgettable vacation."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of November 2004

Gem of the Island

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"My girlfriend treated me to a stay at Crystal Cove for my 50th birthday, and I will never forget the ambiance, friendly service and overall wonderful experience of a vacation at a small all inclusive hotel where everyone cares about your having a wonderful experience. I knew we were at the right place, when upon our arrival at Crystal Cove, after experiencing a long flight and some time spent going through customs, we were immediately approached and asked before checking in what type of drink we would like to refresh ourselves.

We found the food and service impressive, and most of the servers and staff went out of their way for us on a daily basis. We met several honeymoon couples, who were equally impressed with the food, service and entertainment offered on a daily basis. I am planning to go back and intend to bring my significant other, as well as another couple, to experience the wonderful service, food, etc. at Crystal Cove. I can't wait!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 16th of November 2004

Very average

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Having read the numerous bad reviews we were extremely nervous about going to Crystal Cove. It was not as bad as some of the reviews suggested, but having experienced true 5 star service we do not believe that it lives up to this rating.

The rooms and hotel were clean and well presented, but were pretty basic eg no facility to make tea or coffee in the rooms, and whilst the hotel provided 2 machines for hot drinks these were out of order or empty about 50% of the time.

We found that whilst most of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful there were the odd few who were very rude and surly.

The beach was clean and well maintained and the nuisance factor of people trying to sell things was minimal. If you say no thank you they leave you alone.

The birds at breakfast and lunch were a real nuisance. You couldn't leave any food on the table unattended. It is also unpleasant to have to wipe the chair backs and seats of birds mess before sitting down. They really need to address this issue.

Whilst the food was good the choice was limited and the portions tiny. We do not class 1 broccoli head, 2 slices of carrot and 1 slice of courgette to be a balanced meal. We were craving fruit and veg by the time we got home. We were hungry most of the time and were disappointed that the Drifters restuarant was only open for 1 night of the 2 weeks we were there.

There was no real evening entertainment and even if there was there were so few tables outside of the resturant that there was little choice but to go back to the room.

All in all the hotel was ok, however for the money we spent on this holiday we felt very cheated. If you want true 5 star service and great facilities I would try somewhere else."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of October 2004