Great Hotel

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"My wife and I stayed in November 2005, which was our fourth visit to Barbados. This is a great hotel, with very attentive staff and top quality restaurant. Our only gripe was that the room service was a little erratic. What makes the Coral Reef somewhat unique is that the owners are ever-present, though not too overbearing, and this gives an attention to detail which is missing in other places. If you don't want to stay in the hotel for all of your meals, try walking into Holetown to Cocomos for lunch. - a great value beachside Bistro with Bar, or The Fishpot,- a taxi-ride away. For an evening go to Calabaza, also a taxi ride away. We liked it's ambience more than The Cliff, and it was a little better value in our opinion."

• Travel date: 29th November 2005

We had a great family holiday

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"One of the finest hotels I have stayed in and my wife & children want to go back Close to perfect...."

• Travel date: 14th November 2005

Nice but Stuffy

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Our room was great, large and comfortable, the breakfast buffet was good and the service was good, but "politely nice", not overly friendly. The beach has eroded away and you must walk down a bit in front of the other hotel to enter the water. There is a lot of coral on the beach and in the shallow water, I would recommend beach shoes. There is a great snorkeling area directly in front of the hotel, roped off from boaters. Also a swimming area roped off as well with floating platforms for sunning and diving off from. Vendors were about, politely harassing the guests who relaxed on the lounge chairs. Watersports for rent, jet skis, catamarans, kayaks, snorkeling equipment. The hotel is very proper, i.e. no "caps" in the restaurant and men must wear trousers at dinner. This put a small cramp in our "relaxing" stay at this hotel. We had dinner elsewhere every night."

• Travel date: 6th November 2005

Highly, highly recommended!

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"We had a really fantastic time at this beautiful hotel and I cannot wait to go back. It was intimate and peaceful and set amongst the most lush tropical gardens where we often spotted monkeys, colourful birds and mongeese. Breakfast can be brought to your room at no extra cost and its not just delivered on a tray and left but they set it all out on the table on your terrace and even pour your tea! As other reviews have correctly stated attention to detail and personal service are second to none. The management are very present welcoming us at the cocktail party at their house and sending us off when we left for the airport. Nothing is too much trouble - its a 'leave it with us and we will get it done attitude' which makes for a really relaxing time. All watersports except diving are included and we had the speedboat drop us off at a secluded beach and then pick us up later for some waterskiing. We ate at the hotel at lunchtimes where the food was really, really delicious. We ate in the evening twice too which was very good. Freshly baked onion rolls were a favourite of ours. The breakfasts were excellent too. Food and drinks are also very reasonably priced. Our room was spacious and comfortable and there was an endless supply of large, clean towels. The pool area was pretty and quiet with staff on attendance to fetch cocktails which are a little too good and therefore a little addictive! The beach was pretty and one of my favourite things was the shower set in a large tree, made me feel like I was in Neverland. Overall, all this made for a thoroughly relaxing stay. This hotel is all about understated luxury - a little gem! Don't stay anywhere else."

• Travel date: 9th October 2005

Luxury, Privacy, Fantastic!

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We just returned last night from Coral Reef Club and can only say that we are now spoiled beyond belief. Over the years, my fiance and I have stayed at 6 different hotels on Barbados, so we've long had a love affair with Barbados, but Coral Reef Club offers a level of luxury and privacy (for those who wish privacy) that sets it apart from many of the other hotels on the Platinum Coast. We stayed in a lovely bungalow with a large bedroom containing the most comfortable bed imaginable. (I'm still figuring out how to duplicate it at home!) There was a good-sized living room as well, but the patio was so delightful that we tended to spend most of our time there. The L-shaped patio was accessible from both the bedroom and the living room, with one end containing a table and chairs at which you could enjoy your breakfast in the garden surroundings. The other part of the patio contained chairs and sun-loungers, and the thoughtful addition of an overhead fan at the covered end of the patio was a great touch since the weather was quite hot. The bathroom was terrific with a separate over-sized tub and showerstall. Lots of room was provided in in the 3 clothes closets and I was happy to have a separate mirrored vanity table to use as well. Our suite had its own little plunge pool that was shielded by a lovely hedge so we had privacy, yet we also enjoyed using the large hotel pool that provided lots of lounge-chairs in shaded and sunny spots. Although there were always other swimmers there, we never had any problems finding a seat by the pool and the pool is a good size so you never feel crowded. The staff is outstanding, and since I have food allergies, I really appreciated their "no problem" attitude of providing changes to the menu items as requested. Tea-time is terrific and we enjoyed the selection of sandwiches and cakes both at the restaurant and also served on our private patio. While I was trying to cut down on eating too much bread, I loved that they let me add grilled chicken to many of the salads and vegetable menu items, so my meals turned out to be tasty and low-cal. If only I could have stayed "low-cal" with the drinks. Coral Reef makes a fantastic fruit punch and I drank many, many of them. We were able to get in very nice daily walks on the beach in both directions from Coral Reef Club although we tended to swim in the pool rather than the sea on this trip. The Hurricanes hitting the Gulf Coast this month only affected Barbados by providing waves in an area that is usually very calm and this has caused some of the beach sand to wash out, but this will correct itself in the upcoming weeks and, having stayed at the hotel next door earlier this year, I know this to usually be a nice strip of beach. If you get a chance, try the Bajan Buffet on Monday nights and enjoy the sounds of a local band playing as you dine. It was a terrific stay!"

• Travel date: 21st September 2005

Simply the Best!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Have just today returned from a most amazing two weeks at the wonderful Coral Reef Club and am already pining for the superb view we had from our beach-front suite - right on to the beach, listening to frogs singing at night and watching green monkeys by day. The staff were all absolutely marvellous - nothing was too much effort. Makes a change to have decent sized bath towels (replaced twice a day). Lovely blooms with gorgeous scents were found in the opulent gardens. Our room was the best we've ever had (and we've done some travelling!). Great food with friendly and efficient service. Easy access to all the best things about the Island with the hotel even laying on its own transport to get guests into and out of Bridgetown. One of the very best things of all though was the very personal touch lent to the whole holiday from the owners who not only welcome guests by inviting them to cocktails but work alongside their staff when the going gets busy, make themselves available to guests and even bid you farewell. Can't wait to go back!"

• Travel date: 18th September 2005

Don't stay anywhere else!

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Superb hotel! Service was about the best we have ever had - friendly yet professional. Lots of extra "touches" that make a difference, such as being welcomed by and bade farewell to by the owners and the invitation to all the guests to a weekly cocktail party in the owner's house. Facilities are good - wide variety of complimentary water sports, with good availability. Internet room, TV room, gym, shop are all available. Swimming pools were pleasant with attentive bar staff in attendance. The beach certainly is rocky which may be unpleasant for those just wanting to paddle. Food was excellent - really top notch dining and service. The monday night buffet and thursday night barbecue were especially good. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 28th June 2005

Perfect in every way

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My husband, 18 year old nephew and I just returned from a five night stay at the Coral Reef. I cannot say enough great things about this boutique hotel. In fact, 'hotel' is not an appropriate word to describe this oasis. It actually is a collection of small buildings located amid lush gardens of the property. Unlike many of the other hotels on the island which are situtated right along the main road, the Coral Reef has a long driveway so the villas and suites are more secluded. For the three of us, we stayed in a ground floor villa, literally 20 yards from the ocean. The accomodations were excellent, very spacious and clean and very well appointed. As many others have said, the wait staff at the Coral Reef go the extra mile to ensure your stay is a lovely one. Details, such as cushions on the beach chairs and extra large beach towels, are the type of extra touches the Coral Reef offers its guests. The food was wonderful, including the Thursday night barbeque, the best we've ever seen. We dined twice at the Coral Reef. The other nights were equally good at Mangos, Daphne's and Calabaza. The Coral Reef has on-site watersports which were ideal for us and gave us plenty to do. The on-site masseuse was wonderful, and the work out room was well equipped."

• Travel date: 27th June 2005

Perfect in every way

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"From the moment we arrived until we left the sevice was perfect. The staff were marvellous and helpful. The restaurant served delicious food and the evening entertainment first class. Recommend the barbeque evenings. There was always room around the pool. Really appreciated the effort the owners put into making everything seem relaxed. We thought it was a nice touch to be met on arrival and then bid farewell again on our departure. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: 24th June 2005

Sheer Perefection..........

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"After travelling extensively all over the world and staying in many 5 star Hotels, the Coral Reef Hotel is the only Hotel my Husband and I have ever booked to go back to the following year (Easter 2006 cannot wait!) This Hotel is sheer perfection, from the moment you arrive everything is fantastic. We booked on friends recommendation, I was amazed at the room standards having travelled to the Carribean on previous occasions - rooms are light and airy and very spacious, with beautiful views over the gardens and towards the beach. The staff are all personable and very attentive, far different from staff in other Carribean Hotels, they are obviously highly trained and dedicated to the Hotel and guests. The food is simply wonderful, anyone travelling to Coral Reef do not miss out on the Hotel BBQ I have never seen such an array of meat before!!!. We normally venture out when on holiday and go to local restaurants, the food at Coral Reef was so good we only managed to get out 3 times in 7 nights!. Lunch at the sister Hotel the Sandpiper (a short walk down the beach) was also excellent, compared to the rather awful Dinner at the Sandy Lane Hotel Cabaret evening. The beach is as many people have stated a little small and water is rocky, however a short stroll passed the definitely poorer clientele 'Colony Club', takes you to a beautiful beach with crystal clear waters. Coral Reef Club has everything right for travellers who want Luxury without a clinical feel, everything has a Caribbean feel from the relaxing Bar/Lounge area to the bedrooms. I heard somebody say about Coral Reef in comparrison to the much talked about 'Sandy Lane Hotel' : "Sandy Lane is where celebrities go to be seen, Coral Reef is where celebrities go not to be seen". Well done Mrs O' Hara and family on your perefect Hotel."

• Travel date: 23rd June 2005

Hotels near Coral Reef Club

Coral Reef Club is also called

• coral reef hotel
  • coral reef saint james
  • coral reef club barbados