Good

Friendly hotel. Have visited this hotel...

Reviewed Mon 31st of July 2006

"Friendly hotel. Have visited this hotel already 6 times in the last 10 years. Staff are really friendly and during your stay you will really build up a relationship with them. Hotel is small so you get to know all of the other guests pretty quickly. Not a good location if you want to keep yourself to yourself!

Rooms are basic but comfortable. Advice- Call in advance to reserve a room with aircon as there are only a limited number. This is needed! Also keeps the mosquitoes out of your room! Rooms have a small kitchen. Most of the rooms have been refurbished (aircon rooms have been refurbished). Cleanliness is very good, with rooms cleaned daily.
The swimming pool and surrounding garden area look beautiful and are very well maintained. The hotel does offer meals but these are very limited and are more like bar snacks.

Location- The hotel is not on the sea front but is only a few minutes walk away. The nearest beach is however around a 10-15 mins walk (Accra Beach), where there is also a small shopping mall with a supermarket and a Cheffette (Bajan equivalent to McDonalds). Access to public transport is also very good. A bank is located a couple of minutes from the hotel in another small shopping mall.

Overall, the Pirates Inn is a very comfortable 2* hotel (which could easily be a 3*) and for the price, is an excellent way to visit a beautiful Caribbean island on a shoestring. Location is good and staff are friendly. Would definitely recommend this hotel. "

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Lovely trip

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Just came back from my first trip to Barbados where I enjoyed a pleasant stay at Pirates Inn. I met a warm, family atmosphere and attentive staff. I was a little concerned after reviewing other user comments, but I m pleased with my decision to stay there. Had one glitch with the air conditioning, but I paid the extra rate and was satisfied afterward. Pirates Inn is no worries. I got the relaxation I needed in its peaceful surroundings and plan to definitely go back next summer!"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of July 2006

Nice, well located and clean motel - minor complaints

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"As most other reviewers have written, this is a very clean and well kept property located very close to a beautiful beach with friendly and helpful innkeepers.

I was however, shocked and disappointed by the lack of airconditioning. The room (and those nearby) did have a large but non-functioning air-conditioners. They had a couple of fans in the room, but they didn't come close to helping with the heat and the humidity. Luckily there was cool water available in the shower. Also, remember to bring your earplugs if staying over a weekend as the music in the lounge is very loud and carries to the room."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of June 2006

Fantastic two weeks.

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"From the monent we arrived, we were made very welcome by all members of staff. Our room was clean and tidy, and cleaned regulary.

The food was very good indeed, and the drinks even better.

Nice place to stay if you are on a budget and/or family. It very nicely situated, with a 5 minute walk to the amazing white sandy (Extremely clean) beach. Pleanty of restaurants and bars close by. We will definatly return, maybe even with the kids."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of May 2006

If your looking for a comfortable, frien...

Reviewed Thu 23rd of March 2006

"If your looking for a comfortable, friendly, clean base from which to explore the island, then I can highly recommend the Pirates Inn, close to Rockley beach about 5 minutes walk, 45 walk into Bridgetown.

We both found it excellent, from the cold banks beer to Tony's flying fish sandwiches.
We had no hassle from beach vendors, in fact we found everybody we met to be friendly and chatty.

We also advise you to take a catamaran trip, make sure you pick one that offers swimming with the turtles, but watch out for the Captains rum punch, it really packs a punch!!!

Thoroughly recommended.

We will be going back already re booked for next year."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

Just great

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We visited Barbados in March 2006..and from start to finish it was fantastic.. The flight with Virgin was a pleasure..you are looked after from the word go, making the 8 plus hours fly by. The weather, the people, the beaches make for a very very happy holiday. However the one thing that made it perfect was the "Pirates Inn". It may only be a 2/3 star hotel..and the pool may not be Olimpic sized, but Renee and her Crew make your stay 5 star plus. Nothing is to much trouble, the rooms are spotles and cleaned every day, as is the pool. The food served in the pool area is excellent value and between 6pm and 7pm is happy hour...with rum based drink and beer 2for 1. Situated a short walk from the beach, the bus stop, and a number of shops and bank you just couldnt ask for more. We met some great people, some have been going to the Pirates for 20 years, staying for 4 weeks at a time. We will definatly be going back..next year I hope."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of March 2006

Make the impossible, possible

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"My daughter and I stayed here for two weeks. The accommodation was very good, clean and ample for our needs-twin bedroom with tv, kitchenette, en-suite and balcony, with full air-conditioning. All cleaned by staff daily. Although self-catering facilities, bar snacks were available. Staff were helpful and friendly. The medium sized swimming pool was well maintained. We loved sitting on our balcony watching the local birds who would come for a peck of whatever we were having. All excursions were easily booked from here, with collection and set-down.

Beaches, shops, churches, bars and restaurants are within a few minutes walk. The frequent local bus service also runs from approx 2 mins walk away. Bridgetown, Oistins, and other destinations are all easily reached.

I would recommend this hotel for families or couples who do not want too much noise at night. There is no in-house entertainment open to the public.

All-in-all, good affordable accommodation in a very good location, I would highly recommend."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of January 2006

Wonderful place.

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"We, that is my husband and myself visited Pirates Inn, last November 2005.
During the 14 days there, I had a birthday and a wedding anniversary.
Having never visited Barbados before, I had absolutely no idea what to expect.The bus ride to Pirates Inn was 15 minutes, when we arrived it was early evening.The hotel does not look like a 5 star accomodation, and from the front entrance it is pretty basic.However I cannot fault a thing about our holiday..
The rooms are spacious, extremely clean and light.The kitchen area, is extremely well equipped and also immaculately clean.
The shower room/bathroom again is clean and extremely large. There is also a walk in clothes cupboard, which I found excellent.
And now for the centre itself, the apartment are formed in a kind of circle around the pool.There are about 25 apartments ,and every one has an excellent view.
The bar serves food, almost all of the day, and this is cheap, and fairly varied...
The bar staff are wonderful, and cannot do enough for you...The happy hour is 6.pm until 7.pm, and the drinks are large.
There is no music at Pirates Inn, this did not bother me or the people we met, because you find that being a small hotel, it becomes like a family party, and everyone joins in the chatting...I absolutely loved the atmosphere at Pirates Inn..
The rooms are cleaned daily, the ladies attending the rooms are lovely, friendly, just as all Bajan people are.
And now the area of Hastings.This is a fabulous location. There is a kind of bus service called the reggae bus, where you pay $1.50, (50 pence)This will take you anywhere on the island.
St Lawrence Gap is 7 mins ride aaway, and this is the liveliest part of the South East.
The beach closest to Pirates Inn is called Rockley Beach, and this is about 6 minutes walk away, this is beautiful, this beach isnt amazingly calm, although it isnt choppy..
Barbadoes shopping isnt cheap, but the food is beautiful.
Check out jeep safari, we did that trip and it was awesome, and will also give you a chance to look around the Island.
We also did a day cruise from Bridgetown, and that in my opinion was the highlight of my holiday. Music, dancing , food lots to drink, lots of beautiful people.
If you are thinking about visiting Piratess Inn, just book it.You will not regret it.It isnt Sandals, it isnt 5 star accomodation, but it does have a friendly homely and exciting began feel about it.

We are visiting Barbados again this year..hopefully the same place..

Christine Kerridge Manchester
[email protected]"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Great Family Run Hotel

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Recently returned from a week's break to Barbados staying at the Pirates Inn and I thought it was EXCELLENT.

To give the review some context, I have travelled extensively and stayed in many hotels from none to 5 star and (in my girlfriend's opinion) have quite high standards when it comes to hotel accommodation.

On our way to Barbados on the plane my girlfriend was explaining the hotel to me (this was her second time) and she said - "I hope you won't be disappointed as it's very basic". Whilst partly true this does not do the place justice AT ALL. Anyone that books this property knows what it is - a small privately run self catering hotel aimed at the budget conscious traveller. As such it delivers in every way:

the rooms are spacious, clean and well maintained (daily)
the pool area is clean and ample for the number of guests
the bar again is small but ample for the guests
the location is excellent - 10 minutes by car to Bridgetown, 5 minutes by car to St Lawrence Gap (nightlife) and a 5 minute walk to a postcard setting beach.

What makes this hotel stand out though is the FIRST CLASS service - everyone from the cleaners to the desk staff are warm, friendly and eager to help with any query - even the night porters are a great laugh (cheers Rodney - you're a star!).

In addition there's a steady stream of locals who frequent the bar due to it's slightly off the track location and friendly bar staff (Cheers Trev and Tony!).

I could go on and on about Barbados and the bajan people but I am sure you have read that elsewhere (or will!).

In summary, if you're looking for a relatively low cost hotel with great facilities and excellent service then look no further!"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of December 2005

simplicity plus

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Stayed last year and will stay there again this year.........close to everything........If you're looking for five star luxury.......stay elsewhere....
if you're looking for a three and a half star hotel......with five star staff,
location and friendliness.......then this is the place for you.

Bill and Carmen"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of September 2005

Value hotel in a good location

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Stayed at the Pirates Inn which we booked through Hotfoot Holidays (a cheaper subsidiary of Virgin Holidays) from 11-18 June 2005.

This hotel is a great little hotel in Hastings within walking distance of a few restaurants situated behind the Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Holidays offices.

The rooms are adequate for their purpose with two beds pushed together, bedside tables, dressing table, small kitchenette consisting of fridge/freezer, hob and grill type machine for toast etc. The bathroom had a shower only but beware if you expecting a beautifully fitted bathroom, it is not - the taps were encrusted with limescale and tiling on the shower floor was cracked badly.

The worst thing about the hotel is that only 3 rooms there have air conditioning - all other rooms have fans (2 on the wall behind the bed and 2 freestanding floor fans). This is inadequate in the heat and the hotel really does need to get a/c in all rooms. If you decide you want one of the a/c rooms, you pay an extra supplement (which is well worth it), but these rooms are like gold dust and difficult to get (there is a 1 bedroom apt which has a/c too and again a supplement is applicable but is worth the premium as the room is so spacious with a full kitchen instead of a small kitchenette).

The pool area is small with comfortable sunbeds and during our stay was never very busy. The hotel provides beach towels which you sign for and return at the end of your stay. The pool bar area has a happy hour every evening and most guests pop down for a drink before going to dinner. The staff are all very friendly do their utmost to assist. The rooms were made up every day but on some days there was only one member of staff cleaning the rooms and you may find they are coming to clean about 4pm when you are having a rest trying to cool down.

NB. Watch out for the mossies, most people were bitten lots (we only had a few - about 14 or so, but other people had 34+ bites).

Overall, a good value hotel for Barbados in a fairly central location which enables you to get to Bridgetown and the Gap easily. Don't expect 4/5 star luxury because you just won't get it. The main advice though is try to secure a room with a/c as it makes all the difference."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of June 2005

Great place to stay

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"What a great little hotel. Rooms basic but very clean, cleaned every day, pool area cleaned every day - pool small but as the hotel is not large the pool and sun beds do not get crowded. The staff are more than pleasant-very friendly and helpful-nothing is too much trouble. We had breakfast every morning round the pool but went out for meals in evening. The hotel is located within a 5/10 minute walk to Accra/Rockley Beach - not a calm sea but great if your into surfing / boogie boarding. The beaches - well what can I say - although we were only there for 1 week and went to a different beach every day - each beach seemed to be better than the last - but they are all fantastic - finer than talcum powder! Would certainly recommend the Pirates, its in a great location, great staff, and not too big to be rowdy. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of April 2005