Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

6307 Casino Drive Paradise Island - Bahamas, 6307 New Providence Island

Good
2024

Reviewed Fri 10th of April 2015

"This is the 4th time at Riu we have stayed at and by far the worst. This hotel will make us rethink staying at Riu palace again. The whole hotel needs a major renovation. Entertainment was awful,food ok,rooms were very damp. Was surprised when we were told we had to give up the chairs on the beach at 5 and the pool closed at 6. The drinks had no alcohol unless you told them to add liquor. I would never recommend this hotel. VERY DISAPPOINTED

• Travel date: Fri 10th of April 2015

Hotel Riu Paradise Island

Reviewed Tue 2nd of December 2014

"Stayed in hotel 4 nights and it was very bad. I have been on many all inclusive vacations and this was the worst one. The island itself is beautiful. The hotel staff was not friendly and rude did not accommodate with anything. The all inclusive gig in this hotel is a scam. I found out from staff after an argument is that for every 4 nights people stay there you only get to eat in the restaurants 2 nights and one sitting each. I was under the impression like other hotels ex secrets excellence in DR and Mexico that you have 5 rest on site and you can eat in them each night. This is how it is supposed to be. Instead there you get stuck eating at the buffet pretty much the whole time. After arguing with the manager on the game this hotel plays I said Ive been to many all inclusive hotels and this is not right and she replied "that's fine you can go back to them, this is how it is done here". So the previous comments of others stating the staff was rude is true! So out of our 4 nights which should have been 4 rest and maybe 2 times at each one it was 2 rest which they play this game of reservations must be made by 8 am!!! Now who the heck wakes up exactly before 8 am on a vacation?? We didn't so the first time we were told they were all booked at 810am. Again the buffet it was. The place is a joke. Also the restaurants only had 30 chairs each so they booked quickly and if tables are empty they still don't let you in!!! It's crazy how they get away with it. I would never go back there in general an island is just that beautiful and you can find that anywhere. This package here at this hotel is misrepresented. Oh and that pool that looks big in the pic it was probably a panoramic shot because its very small!!! Don't waste your money here people trust me. The rooms stink of mildew also. "

• Travel date: Wed 26th of November 2014

years of bahamas experience

Reviewed Thu 4th of June 2009

"Paradise Island is a super place to relax, have fun, and be safe. Problem like many have stated for example, RIU after a while these chains milk what they can get and move on! Its not just the RIU but all prior at that address played along! Paradise Island is not priced as Mexico or the Dominican Republic so.... if you are on an unrealistic budget, erase P/I from your thoughts. STOP the thinking process because you spent alot of money for your trip, that you will be waited on hand and foot. Remember.. the Bahamas are a place to relax and go onto whats called.. "Bahama Time" meaning very slow. ALWAYS pay with a credit card so if... a problem occurs you can dispute it. Yes its expensive and this is why the promotions for the Bahamas are limited to the North of the US! iF YOU DO NOT DO SERIOUS HOMEWORK prior to going there like the cost of using a cell, $4. a minute, to the additional charges at checkout 20% or where to dine.. you may never enjoy your trip!!"

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of June 2009

A RIP-OFF

Reviewed Mon 11th of May 2009

"Save your money...the place is under construction - no peace and quiet, and 45 min wait to check in (staff shortage). The menus were limited, but the wait staff were great. Stay next door at Atlantis if you can...it's worth it."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of May 2009

Stay away

Reviewed Wed 7th of January 2009

"We stayed at the Riu Paradise for a 3 day/4 night stay.

We arrived at our hotel at 11pm. Instead of being greeted with smiles and friendliness, we were greeted with scowls. It certainly wasn't a welcoming reception.

My husband and I were not happy with the room provided to us. The room was dirty, the bathroom (tub & toilet) was filthy and the room smelled of mold. The pictures advertised on Riu Paradise's website are very deceiving and are a total misrepresentation. They advertise the Riu Paradise as a 5 star hotel. It is definitely not a 5 star hotel. It is far from it.

On December 29; at approximately 5pm, a male staff member entered into our room without knocking. I'm assuming he used a passkey to enter the room as the door was locked. (I had just gotten out of the shower and was changing at the time). Aside from being totally mortified, I quickly covered myself and went out to our balcony. The gentleman explained that there was a huge leak coming from our faucet and was leaking down below in the restaurant. He came and went for about half an hour trying to fix the tap in the bathroom.

Around 6pm, a staff member assigned to the front desk called explaining that she had to move us to another hotel room because the Engineer had to break open the wall to fix the leak. She advised us that we had 20 minutes to pack and vacate the room. When I inquired about the hotel room they were going to move us to, she explained it would be on the other side of the hotel, queen size bed, with a view of trees and the city of Nassau. I explained to her we were guaranteed an ocean view, king size bed and that I was not happy about the downgrade since we paid for an upgraded room.

Her attitude toward us was unacceptable. The way that she handled the situation was totally unprofessional, since she told me to go over to the Atlantis Hotel and book a room to stay with them. At no time, did I have an unprofessional attitude towards her or return the same attitude I received from her so I was shocked to have been spoken in such a rude manner. I spoke in a calm and professional manner at all times.

At this point in time, I was extremely upset and let my husband handle the situation. This is not how a 5 star resort should be run or how guests should be treated. The conditions of the hotel, room, service and staff was 100% unacceptable.

After 20 minutes of my husband trying nicely to explain our concerns, the employee at the front desk informed him that it was not their fault but that it was our travel agents fault for not informing us about their poor conditions (eg: dirty room and unprofessional service). My husband asked why he was being spoken to in a discourteous manner and she informed him, yet again, that her attitude was our travel agents fault.

After speaking to a Manager, the attitude was still unprofessional, but she finally put us in a room on the 7th floor with an ocean view. After entering the new room, we came across numerous brown stains on the white bed sheets, a brown ring in the bathtub and yet another moldy (much stronger) smell coming from our room. We called down numerous times for someone to come up to change our sheets. Each time we called they advised that someone would be right up. No one ever showed up. We ended up putting a blanket on top of the white sheet and slept on that. This is not acceptable, especially for a hotel advertised as a 5 star.

The purpose of a vacation is to relax and enjoy themselves. My husband and I were not able to achieve this at all. I have never been so disgusted, not only with the unprofessional service and attitude, but with the unsatisfactory condition of the hotel and the dirty room(s) that were provided. We should not have had to go through so much trouble on our vacation as we incurred. For the expensive rate we paid for our trip, I was 100% dissatisfied and could not wait to return home after our 2nd night.

They should not advertise the hotel as a 5 star when; in fact, it does not provide the services and accommodations of a 5 star.

This property definitely does not deserve a 5 star rating based upon my previous vacations and experiences while on holiday (eg: Cuba, Dominican Republic, Meixco) where the resorts were immaculately maintained and the staff went above and beyond to ensure that their guests thoroughly enjoyed their stay.

After speaking with numerous guests staying at our hotel, I found they shared the same concerns and were very unhappy/disgusted as we were. The Riu Paradise has a long way to go in terms of customer service. The hotel (and travel agent) relies on word of mouth to friends, family and coworkers about the service and their conditions.

• Travel date: Wed 7th of January 2009

A friend and I stayed at the Riu Paradis...

Reviewed Fri 26th of September 2008

"A friend and I stayed at the Riu Paradise Island in July 2008. Both of us have traveled extensively and were shocked and disgusted by the Riu. We had only been at the hotel for 3 hours and we were in pool when I felt something slice open the bottom of my foot and saw a lot of blood come to the surface of the water. I exited the pool and approached a local staff member. Believe it or not the pool area DID NOT have a first aid kit and they used scotch tape and a small bandage to try and cover up a deep cut. I was later told that it was a broken ceramic tile that had lacerated my foot. When I continued bleeding I asked the hotel staff where I could receive medical attention. My friend and I were put in a cab in our bathing suits and taken off the island to a local, dodgy hospital despite the fact that there was a first aid clinic within walking distance of the hotel. Nobody from the hotel accompanied us despite that fact that we had been on the island for only a little over 3 hours and had no idea where we were going. After waiting over 4 hours to receive medical attention I was given a tetanus shot and received 7 stitches. When we returned to the hotel 5 hours later the Assistant Manager offered us a free dinner on the hotel and we had to remind him that we had paid for an All-Inclusive Package so the dinner we had missed was actually on us. I am not joking, this is all that they offered me. The hotel manager was even worse when it came to customer service. When I questioned why I had been taken off the island when there was a first aid station so close by he advised me that he did know where the medical station and hospitals were. I cannot believe that a Manager of a 4 1/2 star hotel does not know where to take a guest if an injury occurs. I can only imagine what would have happened if this had a more serious case. For the rest of my vacation I could not swim and could barely walk. The hotel did nothing to accommodate me and actually made a point of ignoring me when they saw me. I have traveled most of Europe and many places in the Carribbean and have NEVER received treatment like this. In the 4 days that I was there the hotel also DID NOT fix this tile in the pool and put all other guests at risk including young children. DO NOT stay at this hotel for your own safety. I was told by others that Breezes is ALOT nicer.
I also strongly advise all Canadians to stay away from the tour operator Sunquest. I learned the hard way that after Sunquest gets your money for the trip they will do nothing to help you if something goes wrong. Even upon returning home the customer service from them has been terrible. I will advise everyone I know to never use Sunquest and to never stay at a Riu hotel.. I have heard that this particular hotel is going through a renovation in the next year and perhaps this is why they are not fixing things that are broken but it says a lot about the Riu chain as a whole as they appear not to care about the safety of their guests and also of Sunquest who continues to sell this hotel. So please remember this when you book your next vacation.

• Travel date: Fri 26th of September 2008

We stayed at the Riu on Paradise Island...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of January 2008

"We stayed at the Riu on Paradise Island for 4 nights/5 days. Although this hotel was better than another all-inclusive vacation we had at the Dominican Republic, my husband and I were both disappointed.

This is an old hotel that is long overdue for total renovation. The rooms are very old and tired looking, especially the bathrooms that are too small and need to be totally renovated. The beds are also uncomfortable. There is no sound-proofing to the rooms - loud, noisy people coming back to their rooms will awaken you from a deep sleep.

The good things about this hotel/resort: There is a very long span of time that you have to show up for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the buffet and still have food available to you (do not eat the hamburgers -- they were so red). Maid service does not come too early to bother you either.

Another negative-- when we booked, we requested 2 adjoining rooms but were not given this until the second day when they became available (no one offered to help pack and move all of our stuff when we had to change rooms on the second day).

Compared to other all-inclusive resorts for food, the buffet food was good at Riu. Even your picky child will find something to eat. The floor in the buffet restaurant ALWAYS felt sticky under my shoes - they can definitely do a better job cleaning up there more often. We are not big drinkers but enjoyed the virgin daiquiris and found they were given to us in a timely manner when ordered.

Finally, if you are bringing younger children here, be careful of the beach. The beach was not shallow by any means and had a large drop-off because of erosion so I could not relax when my 6 and 8 year olds were in the water (also there was a strong under-tow). If you want shallow, beautiful Caribbean water, turn right and walk a couple miles to the end of the beach where the really tall palm trees are and the private homes. There we found colourful fish and beautiful, shallow water.

I still don't know why this hotel is rated with 5 stars - it needs a major renovation. Finally, don't aggravate yourself with waiting in a very long line to make reservations for the next night at one of the hotel's a la carte restaurants - we ate at their steak restaurant and it was a disappointment with only 3 entrees on the menu to choose from (the buffet is a different theme every night and it is good enough). Would probably not go back unless hotel was renovated completely.

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of January 2008

The grand entrance to the hotel was supe...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2007

"The grand entrance to the hotel was superb. The employees were genuinely obliging and nothing was too much for them.

Entertainment was equally enjoyed day and night. Restaurant choice was extensive as was the wonderful variety of food. Room service was thorough.

All these factors contributed to the consistency of a paradise holiday. The beach front with its beautiful stretch of powder like sand was a must for anyone to enjoy first thing in the morning or last thing at night or even just when you desire.

Or if you don’t want sand in your toes you can take full advantage of the outdoor pool, with its built in tiled loungers and pool bar where you have the option to participate in the local entertainment.

The choice is yours.

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of December 2007

Went to Riu Paradise Island for our hone...

Reviewed Thu 23rd of August 2007

"Went to Riu Paradise Island for our honeymoon in June. When we first arrived at the hotel, was greeted with a nice cold drink and the staff were very welcoming. On looking around the hotel, it was not as grand as I was expecting it to be (we had been spoilt when we went to a RIU hotel in Mexico). It did need freshing up - but was informed by the staff that they are closing for a refurb in 2008. Our room was clean and tidy, and maid came in daily. Couldn’t complain about the room. All the staff that we came into contact with were pleasant and helpful.

Food was good, tried all 3 restaurants - all good, Japanese the best!! The buffet had a different theme each night, and everything we tried was very nice and the strawberry cheesecake was a must! You could still get any snacks/drinks right up to midnight.

You did have to get up from your sun bed to get a drink from bar, which didn’t bother us. There isn’t enough umbrellas around the pool, you had to get up early to guarantee one and the umbrellas on the beach cost $25 USD for a day, and at 6pm they took them down, weather you were still sunbathing or not, on the beach and round the pool.

I would agree with the other review that the entertainment wasn’t very good at all - only thing we thought was good was the comedy night they had weekly, that was the only thing worth watching.

The hotel is in a superb position next door to The Atlantis, so you can go and have a wander around that amazing hotel - just watch you don’t get stopped by security as there are certain places you shouldn’t go (TIP go after 5pm when the security have gone, you can wander round a lot more, like the predator lagoon & aquarium). But it’s a place you have got to go and look round

Overall we had a fabulous holiday, would go back to the hotel again and would recommend it.

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

Unfortunately really disappointed with o...

Reviewed Tue 17th of April 2007

"Unfortunately really disappointed with our holiday to Riu Bahamas.

The rooms we booked were not the rooms we received. The hotel did not have cots and only supplied us with travel cots that the toddlers could climb out of each night. The reception staff were extremely rude and disinterested in our situation.

Instead of the kingsize bedroom we initial booked, our room had 2 slightly bigger than single beds which resulted in my partner and I sleeping in separate beds.

If we wanted to swap rooms we would have to have all our belongings in reception by 12.00pm and the staff would put our belongings in storage and they would allocate a room between 15.00pm and 16.00pm.

When we asked if we were able to view the room, we were told no. We asked if we could be told what floor it would be, they advised they could not give us this information.

They then went on to say if they were us, they would stay where we are because if we move it will be to an inferior part of the hotel and we would have to listen to the air conditioning unit which does make a loud noise. We then went on to ask if we were able to push our beds together and they informed us we would not be able to do this, as it was against hotel policy.

We decided to keep our room for fear of where we would end up! We had to spend the whole two weeks of our supposedly romantic, luxurious holiday in separate beds, as both of us definitely would not fit into one bed comfortably.

In our friends room their fridge did not work and when they advised reception, they were told it would be fixed. However throughout the two weeks the fridge was not working and it was unable to maintain the babies milk and food at adequate temperature.

This was extremely important, as one of the babies was allergic to dairy, wheat, yeast and other related allergies. This resulted in them having to put the food and milk in our fridge and just keep enough milk in their room, which was completely unacceptable.

We had a power cut in both rooms six times in the first eight nights, where we were left with no lights or electricity to get ready.

When we complained, we were told it was because everybody uses the hairdryer at the same time and not to worry as it happens all the time! So getting ready to go for dinner we had no hair dryer, hair straighteners, television, or air conditioning and also obviously could not see what we were doing.

We also were unable to get into the safe as that also did not work when there was a power cut. The staff on reception thought this was acceptable and advised us they would tell maintenance, who would sort it out. This also took some time to actually fix.

We found a cockroach in our room and we had to trap it with the ice bucket, when we reported it, the staff on reception laughed and said ‘this is the Caribbean’.

The service in the restaurants, the bar and in general around the hotel was not what we expected from a hotel of this standard. Some staff were extremely rude, abrupt and obnoxious. At times it was as though they were doing us a favour.

There was no waiter service around the pool or beach and if you required a drink then you had to queue up at the bar.

There were no sun umbrellas on the beach and we had to pay $25 USD each day for an umbrella to keep the two 20 month old twins in the shade.

The entertainment was of the lowest standard, I have ever seen in my life. It was worse than Butlins and even Pontins holiday camps 20 years ago! It was unbearably bad, cringe worthy, unprofessional and just rubbish.

The overall attitude of the people at reception was unbelievably bad, rude, arrogant and unhelpful."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2007

Stay here and have more money to spend elsewhere

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"My wife and I just got back celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. Our trip was from Feb 3rd thru Feb 6th and we stayed at the Sheraton based on reviews we read prior to our trip. Our deluxe room was on the 11th floor overlooking the ocean. The room was nice but nothing really fancy. I was suprised the bathroom did not have a exhaust fan especially after a shower. Their is a safe in the room if you bring alot of cash ($2 a day charge). They also have a mini fridge stocked with juice and snacks. Beware, they tried charging us once for a juice we never took. The front desk was quite friendly and waived the charge. The pool is nothing special but you can swim in the ocean or pay a daily fee and use Atlantis's facilities (pools, slides etc.) The food at the Sheraton was very good. The only drawback is the 15% tip is added to your bill and their service is slow and sometimes not at all. We had an excellent meal for our anniversary on Wednesday night at the Rotiserri (not sure on the spelling) restaurant in the Sheraton. We both ordered Surf & Turf with a baked potato. We had to ask three times for extra butter for our baked potato. We finally gave up and used the melted butter from the Lobster. The breakfast buffet at the Sheraton is excellent also. Although here again is the 15% tip and this is a buffet. We heard the food at Atlantis is very good also but quite more expensive. We did have a fish fry at Atlantis that was located on the beach which was a very nice snack. Our thoughts you can pay 3 or 4 times more to stay at the Atlantis if you want, but why? Atlantis is a 5 minute walk from the Sheraton. We spent alot of time at the Atlantis Hotel (casino, shops, & beach) and didn't have to spend the big money. If your a slot player the slots at the Atlantis are the tightest I've seen. Be prepared to take taxi cabs everywhere you go. $27 from airport to the Sheraton. $18 from Sheraton to Crystal Palace. $9 from Sheraton to Downtown (Straw Market, Duty-free shops etc.)Also their is a travel club located in the Sheraton hotel. They will offer you free breakfast which is nothing special and $50 to go through this sales orientation. They are pretty pushy but just hold your ground say "no" and collect the free $50 dollars.We had a great time...."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of February 2004

The Sheraton is just average

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"My fiancee, step-son and I just got back from the Bahamas and we had a great time. We decided to stay at the Shearton mainly because it was all inclusive. We found the hotel itself to be nice and the staff was very friendly. Checking in was quick, but our room was not as nice as we expected. I would also recommend getting the in room safe even though it costs extra. The pool was not that great, and their were seagulls all over the place because of the pool side snack bar. Another hassle was signing for everything, especially if no one has a pen. They should go to a wristband system like most other all inclusive resorts.
On the plus side the beach was nice! the sand was clean and there were plenty of chairs to use. The restaurants were great and the breakfast buffet was awesome. Another great feature was that Atlantis was so close. It only takes a few minutes to walk over but be careful, in order to use most of their stuff (waterslides, pool) you must be a registered guest. Even to go through the aquarium costs $25 for adults and $19 for kids and that is all you get, no pool, no nothing! Getting back to the Sheraton, we just expected more, but the Sheraton is not a four star resort, so if you are looking for just an average experience go to the Sheraton, but if you want more to do at you hotel, I would suggest going to Atlantis, especially if you have kids."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of February 2004

Hotels near Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Stayed at Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

• princessjl by princessjl

"Yes to warn them to stay away "

• getwat7pay4 by getwat7pay4

"Paradise Island is great...RIU Paradise isn "

• Talia B by Talia B

"Overpriced Atlantis next door! "

Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island is also called