About Towne Hotel

• fishing amenities
  • snorkeling amenities
  • diving

Good

They are cheating on the bill

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2013

"First a suggestion. We reserved the room from orbitz, and then learnt that it is $5 expensive than the rate on their website. So, if you decided to stay there, first check the rates from their website.

The real problem is never mentioned extra charges. They give us a bill and it was like $500. When we check our accunts after our return in US, we learnt that they charged extra $75. When we ask about them with email, they give us vague explanations. So if you plan to stay there, be ready to pay unknown charges.

The rooms have not proper windows, which cause yo to hear all the talks or noises from outside. The internet is free, but only in the lobby and they will never open the AC in the lobby, so even if you can stand the heat in the lobby, the mosquitos don't allow you to have a comfortable time and also we can see bugs in the lobby which you always eat your meal.

The Bahamas were wonderful, I hope to say the same for our stay but it is impossible."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of September 2008

Friendly and helpful staff, ok room, not my recomendation

Reviewed Sat 19th of January 2013

"This hotel situated in down town Nassau. Hostel standard. You get what you pay for. But just for a littel bit more you can stay at the beach and higher standard on room. Ex. at the hotel where the casino is, Crystal palace is the name if I remember correctly. Free internet though! Very bad breakfast. Toast and tea. Its location is central, but to what? The few stores that mostly sell souvenirs close at 16, we also went to some malls, but do not bother!! Only timeconsuming and nothing to buy. Eat at Hard Rock or Hilton if you are Down town Nassau. DO NOT enter the restaurant oposite side of Hilton. Very pricy for the [--] food. Sallad warm, food cold, bad taste.. only the bottel beer tasted good in that place. Anyway, if you want to go to Down Town take a bus one day, do not stay there like I did. Enjoy the sun and the food in big hotels (but do not bother shopping)."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of July 2008

Came back twice!

Reviewed Mon 21st of January 2013

"Everyone extremely friendly and helpful. All staff were like this. The hotel has a turnover of tourists and a bar, but there is always good behavour and banter. Internet access was great. There is a parrot to greet you at the door, a good friendly touch! The receptionists were above average helpful - thats why we came back twice (if only for a short period of time). I would easily use the Hotel again should I pass that way in the future. By the way, the food (for my taste) was plenty good enough. It goes without saying that the lounge area was typically bahamian style and the cleaniness completed the picture. Many thanks to everyone."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of April 2008

Perfect for me

Reviewed Thu 10th of January 2013

"This is the first hotel review i have ever written but i went through so much mental torture trying to find a nice place in Nassau that i wanted to share my experience. Just some context, i am 26 year old single male and needed to stay in Nassau for one week. I was very uncomfortable with paying 140$ a night at the Wyndham (which would become 170$ after the extras) and the reviews for Nassau Palm, El Greco, Quality Inn or the other "Buget" places made me really uncomfortable. All i wanted was a clean, safe and friendly place.

Towne Hotel was perfect for me. I booked the "Junior Suite" (which was the most expensive room they had) for 95$ a night ( it came up to 112$ a night with taxes and service charge.

First the good: The hotel room was clean and neat ( my expectations were also very low after reading some of the horror reviews for the Nassau Palm and others). Dont expect a luxury hotel but it had all the basics, two beds a fridge and a TV. The staff were very friendly and the cook even specially cooked a vegetarian meal for me since there was nothing else i could eat on the menu. The biggest thing for me was that it was safe. No one could enter the hotel without being "buzzed" in and my room was on the 3rd floor which made me feel safe locking and leaving my room during the day (i locked all my bags before i left since there is NO safe in the room) . The free breakfast was basic but good ( toast + Juice + boiled eggs. Stay away from the Muffins cause they were a little stale) . They give you free beach towels at the front desk and the internet in the lobby was great since i didnt have a laptop. There was a bit of a wait sometimes to get the internet during the afternoons so i would use it later at night. The location was also perfect. You are right next to straw market with lots of eating options nearby. I spent three days scuba diving ( stuart cove picks you up from the hotel). Its very easy to get to cable beach using the 1$ bus. Personally i didnt think cable beach was that great and im glad i didnt spend 170$ a night for a crappy room at the Wyndham. Its very easy to get to Paradise island as well.. the 3$ ferry is a 5 min walk from the hotel and i spent 2 full days on cabbage beach enjoy beautiful sun and sand with people who were paying 350$ a night.

Some Tips: The bathroom is small but clean. The water pressure is a little weak and the hot water takes some time to come on in the shower. The one thing i will say is i didnt trust the towels they gave. I used my own towel for drying up after showering and i suggest you bring an extra ones since some of their towels were "stained". Also, i didnt use the pool and even though it looked clean, i dont think i would use it.

The Bad: On Friday and Saturday nights only, from 10 PM to late at night there is a huge throbbing noise outside from a dance club. I read about this in one of the other reviews so i went prepared with ear plugs which worked out fine. But if you dont have ear plugs and want to get some sleep on a Saturday night.. forget about it.. just go out and join the party."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of March 2008

Get wha you pay for

Reviewed Fri 18th of January 2013

"We just returned from a weekend trip in Nassau (Nov. 16-18). The Town Hotel is perfect for just that, a weekend stay or a 3 day/2 nights Stay. I don’t think I could have stayed there any longer. As with all the other reviews below, you certainly get what you pay for. The hotel is clean; the staff is great and helpful. The only negatives: the room is small and the restrooms are even smaller. The continental breakfast is not that great but they do have a great cook who prepares home cooked meals for lunch (or at anytime.) The location is in downtown, close to the straw market and marina to take the ferry boats to Paradise Island ($3)and nearby local restaurants. Tip take plenty of $1 DLL bills and at Straw Market always try to bargain than to settle for the price they are asking for."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of November 2007

Heartbreak hotel

Reviewed Wed 2nd of January 2013

"The hotel is in an excellent good location - ideal for getting around very easily. Staff are also very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean but the hotel is extremely noisy at night because sounds reverberate around the quadrangle in the middle. On Saturday nights a rave takes place next door and the noise literally makes the window panes rattle and goes on until 4am making sleep impossible. The real heartbreaker is the conditions the parrot is made to endure. Max is kept like a living ornament on a single, bare perch in the lobby during the day and at night in a tiny, rusty cage with a light shining above him. He is right by a door with people coming and going all the time. So he gets no sleep, privacy or darkness. It's like a torture cell for him. I spoke to the owner about this, but he brushed my concerns off and paid no attention. If you choose to stay here please voice your concerns, too - the more people who do so, hopefully the more it will sink in that something urgently needs to be done to improve his quality of life."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of November 2007

value for money dont expect the hilton

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"First the positives. Our room was exceptionally clean and the a/c worked well, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful on the whole and the location is great being so close to town and yards away from the jitney buses. Unfortunately now the negatives: it is pretty run down although all areas were clean, the big negative for us was the lack of a/c in the reception/dining room as we found it too hot to eat in there, breakfast is included but fairly basic although if your on a real budget it is edible but lacking in variety. Our big negative was that someone held a private party next to the hotel that went on to 4 am and was about a thousand decibels, no chance of any sleep although we kept complaining to the reception he said he couldnt do anything. Overall though it was good value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of July 2007

Convinent, basic, and it won't break your wallet either!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Let me begin with I am Bahamian/American. I was born and raised in Nassau for half my life so I knew what was what when I went back on a trip last year. Last summer my younger brother and I went back to Nassau for a long weekend and it was one of the most memorable stays I've had there since moving to the states.
We chose the Towne Hotel because of the convinent location and my dad recommended it to us. It was a decent price to pay for what we got. The hotel was surprisingly pleasant and simple. We felt safe the whole time we stayed which was a big plus. The rooms were clean, it had AC, fridge, tv, phone. Beds were quite nice. I liked the simple design of the room also. There aren't bath ammeneties such has shampoo provided and like some other reviwers we had issues with the shower. Our showerhead broke off but turned out all we had to do was twist it back on. No biggie. There are less towels provided than some people might be liking to but I always travel with extra towels for that very reason.
The pool is small but did look quite nice although I didn't use it. Breakfast...I don't quite understand why people are so upset about the breakfast! I found nothing wrong with it and enjoyed my breakfast for the three days we stayed there! One minor thing that might annoy other Americans also would be there was no ice machine.(?) If there were we never saw 'em but that was a minor issue since the Bartender gave me some ice from downstairs. We walked to a convinence store off of Bay street and bought two liters of Bahamian soda called Junkanoo. It's really tasty. Anyhow, if you want to try a different kind of soft drink try it. With our Junkanoo and ice we were set since there were cups in the room.
I enjoyed the two parrots in the lobby who, despite other reviewers are not 'mangy'. They are quite healthy and friendly too. The lobby area was nice and the bar tender was very amiable. We also ordered some food from the bar at a decent price. If you are a foreingner and have never been to the Bahamas before I highly recommend you taste some conch fritters. Conch is a staple of Bahamian diet and Conch fritters are a treat to every pallate. I would also recommend going to Arwak Cay and trying some conch salad from Goldie's. Arwak Cay is a easy 30 minute walk from the hotel.
Speaking of walks from the hotel due to it's location you can go by foot to many entertaining places. The straw market is a five minute walk right from the hotel and is located on the bay where the cruise ships come in. You can also take a boat over to Paradise Island from the Nassau Bay for about $3.00 each way. If you decide to do so I recommend walking on over to the Atlantis resort. That is a real treat because they have access to one of the cleanest beaches. Be warned though the waves are a bit rough on that side of Paradise island.
Other nearby walking entertainments would be the numerous shops, clubs, and restraunts off of Bay street. If you're interested in a moderately priced Bahamian meal go to Cafe Skans. Their Grouper burger is worth writing home about!!! Ft.Charlotte is a historical Bahamian landmark that is only 20 minutes down from the hotel walking. Like I said, it's hard to be bored in such a convinent location to the hustle and bustle of downtown Nassau."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of May 2007

Good value hotel for Nassau

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Nassau is known for high rates and heinous quality - we stopped going to the El Greco because they doubled their rates in 2 years - the Towne Hotel is our new pied a terre when passing through Nassau on the way to other islands. Just a block from Bay Street, safe, clean and friendly. What else do you want for $65-85/night? Book through their site for a little "internet discount.""

• Travel date: Wed 7th of March 2007

Clean comfortable good location

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Comfortable clean jnr suite with fridge and AC. Quirky furniture. Gd price which included breakfast. Excellent location for cheap public transport. Friendly. Clean towels every day, free beach towels. Wld stay again."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

good location for VERY cheap!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Me and my girlfriend stayed for a week in this hotel. We are both college student, so we were not expecting a lot...but when we got there it was pretty nice. I mean it is not the Hilton, but it is a friendly place. The free breakfast was very good (British style). The swimming pool is very small...and if you actually don't get close to it, it almost looks like a fontain. the location is very good. It is right in downtown, very close to the cruise port and reusterants. Rooms are ok. They are pretty clean, but the bathroom is small and with no window. The only thing that we still complain about this hotel is our shower...it flooded the bathroom everytime we took a shower.
Overall it was a good experience and i would go again."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of August 2006

Perfect Stay for a low budget trip!!!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"OK, I'm a student from Germany and I wanted to take a trip trough Florida and the Bahamas. For my Naasau stay, I lived for a week in the Towne Hotel, with a feeling of safety, friendliness and a good place, near town center and the ocean. Perfect for all of you who want to spent a vacation for a goog priece but don't want to miss a good bed, a bathroom in ever room, TV, Tele, and a refridgberator for your stuff. everytime again!!!! thanks, chris"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006