Orange Hill Beach Inn

West Bay St, Nassau New Providence Island

Nice Little Place

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We recently stayed at Orange Hill Beach Inn on an overnight layover to Long Island, Bahamas. The inn shows signs of deterioration due to being near the ocean but is clean and simply furnished. It is less than ten minutes from the airport which makes it convenient and has a very nice beach in a quiet residential area versus the hustle and bustle of downtown Nassau and Cable Beach. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of May 2006

What Orange Hill Beach Inn is good for...

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I can confirm that all the good things you may have read on previous posts about the service and hotel are true. Judy and her staff were simply amazing, she introduced herself immediately upon on our arrival and we always felt welcomed while staying there.

We stayed in one of their fairly new cottages down below the hill closer to the ocean (and the road). We had no issues with the cleanliness of the room (although they need to sweep under the bed as little more frequently). We found the room spacious and comfortable. We had the windows open during the cooler nights and fell asleep quickly with the sounds of the ocean surf (once the traffic died down on the road).

A couple of times we did experience some sounds (music, voices etc…) coming from the adjoining cottage. These cottages are wood framed so the sounds will travel through the walls but it was nothing that kept us up at night.

The first night we walked the beach up to Traveler’s Rest to have a meal. Food and beer (Kalik) was good. We had heard that food in the Bahamas was a little pricey. Our meal with 2 beers was $75.00. Be careful walking day or night, as the roads are very narrow and there is at times not much room to walk. You can not always walk the beach, as it is rocky in many areas.

The next day we went with “Rick the Bartender” to the local grocery store where we discovered why restaurant meals are pricey, food is pricey also. $6.00 gallon milk, $8.00 pineapples most all food is 30-50% higher than the “States”. But after all, it is an island…

We went to the Bahamas to mostly rest and relax. That is what Orange Hill is good for. We did do the Bacardi / Island Tour with Willy. The Bacardi tour isn’t much but we had a great time sampling the different rums and bought 4 bottles to bring home ($11.00 ea). Willy was a great guide, look him up if you visit Orange Hill, all you have to do is ask at the front desk.

We also did the Sea Island Adventure tour ($60.00pp). This was a short boat drive to a private island where we spent about 4 hours snorkeling and they provided a lunch. You may expect the lunch to be like the picture on the brochure, but it isn’t. That’s not saying the lunch was bad, it wasn’t, there was plenty of food - chicken, ribs, peas n’ rice, hot dogs for kids, watermelon and oranges, rum punch (weak Cherry Kool-aid with Rum). Save some oranges for the fish, they loved it."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006

Real Island feel, True Bahaminan Vacation

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Most people I know who want to go on vacation do it because they are stressed, or they have some free time to waste, or some money they want to spend. Some go to seek relaxation, some go to seek adventure, and some seek serenity. The Orange Hill Inn is such a heartwarming place to be totally honest with you. The people who work there, Brendan, Judy (the owner), Tricia, etc., everyone from the cleaning service to the kitchen staff - they are truly great people who want you to enjoy your stay on the island(s). They know the Ins and Outs of the island that us tourists really want to find but just don't know it yet.

The small restaurants that serve up Cold KALIK beer with conch fritters from waiters, waitresses, and bar tenders who have a contagious smile. The small quiet beach with white sand and beaming sun. The bus with friendly Bahamian locals going to and from work or hanging out drinking a beer while you chat away with the down to earth bus driver. The quiet hum of the breeze blowing throughout the Orange Hill estate and chirping of birds. Island Nature staring you in the eye, screaming for you to not leave. This is the real Bahamas...not some man made overpriced amusement park like Atlantis or the Wyndham or any of those other commercial joints. Yes they are luxurious! But the absence of spoiled luxury is replaced with a comfort of staying with true hospitality specialist who show you what it is like to truly just CHILL OUT and relax on an island.

You know that CORONA BEER commercial that shows the ship sailing through the corona bottle with the guy on the beach with nothing but open waters and white sand, or the one with the cell phone ringing or beeper vibrating and the guy just throws the cell/pager into the ocean? Guess what? That is the scene at the beach across the street from the Orange Hill Inn.

One suggestion: If you are uncomfortable waiting for the bus or actually taking it, rent a car, busses run slow after 7pm and you'll be forced to take a taxi. I would suggest taking the bus to and from town for the true island experience but just know you won't be surrounded by tourists, which to me is a good thing!

Bottom line: If you want to be treated like Donald Trump or Martha Stewart by people who think you are going to tip them unrealistically large amounts of money because either you are financially comfortable (or are currently renting that life-style) then go to the Atlantis. Have fun being surrounded by spoiled rich kids running around half drunk or gambling addicted folks hoping to pay the bills with their wishful winnings once they return to the reality of their lives! -- OR -- Go to the Orange Hill Inn, check in at the front desk, get the key to your modestly relaxed room, go across the street to the quiet exotically PICTURE PERFECT beach, take in some sun, enjoy the home made food in their dining room for dinner, and book a couple of trips for snorkeling, scuba, dolphin swimming or island hopping and just relax MON, the True Bahamian way."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of March 2006

Laid back with quiet beach to yourself

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I agree with the three previous reviews. Orange hill is not for those searching luxury, but it is for people who want laid back, comfortable, and nice atmosphere. Food is ok. Food is not really the highlight anywhere on the island. Most staff very helpful. If you want to go into Nassau the taxis are pricey, and the buses are infrequent at night. Bus trips fine for a day trip. The beach across the street is great, and you pretty much have it to yourself!"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2006

Pretty and handy to the airport

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My friend and I stayed a few nights at OHBC en route to Harbour Island. All my luggage got lost (and still is) but the staff was very helpful and accomodating in helping me try to make all the calls, some international, to try to follow up on my lost luggage. (Thank you Ricco, especially!) If you want glitzy then go to Cable Beach or elsewhere where there is one hotel next to the other and all the restaurants, etc... but you won't even feel like you left home and went to the Bahamas. OHBC is quirky, and has a bohemian feel for sure, but the nice touches,(honor bar, mini fridge in the room, free coffee in the am, views of the beach) make it feel homey. You are close to the airport ($10 cab fare-which is their minimum charge) and on the bus route ($1-$1.25 a ride to town, depending on the driver you get). If you travel to town later than supper time you will need a cab and that can get pricey. I would definately stay there again, because I was so comfortable there and the people are so nice."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of January 2006

Orange Hill is like Family

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"What a Wonderful Island
First of all Every Local we spoke with in Nassau were so friendly and information.

We stayed at Orange Hill Inn the First 4 days in Nassau in Dec 05. Let me tell you they are GREAT.. and you are welcomed with open arms. They have many return customers over the last 20 or so years. It was so pleasurabe and the beach is practically your own. The money you spend on Orange Hill is worth it. Very economical but not run down. We will return for sure with our whole family.

sincerely
Carla and Dave Darrar
Coeur d'Alene Idaho"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of December 2005

What a Nice Place!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Stayed one night at OHBI--stopping on New Providence enroute to Eleuthera--in early November 2005. In brief: what a nice place! (Perfect for an airport stopover too...five minutes and a $10-$15 taxi ride from/to NAS...fine place for any kind of stay...at a fraction of the cost of most places on Cable Beach or in Nassau. We tried to book for our coming-back overnigh too but the house was full for a wedding.) If you want resort amenities and conspicuous self-indulgence, look elsewhere. If you want a relaxed, friendly, low-key and reasonably priced place to vacation, or for a short stay on your way to/from the "Family Islands," consider OHBI.
When we arrived (noonish) we found a mixed crowd--all ages, couples and families, Americans and Brits from all over the US and UK as well as Dutch and Germans--enjoying a chat and a drink at the honor bar, or sitting on glider swings on the lawn enjoying the view down the hill to the ocean. Some of the guests we talked to had been coming back to OHBI for twenty years; this is the kind of place where people treat each other like friends from out of town by the end of Day One, and the owners are likely to offer you a lift down the road if they're going that way. (The owners and staff were all accommodating, helpful and informative. Brendan at the desk was the proverbial font of information.) We were checking in early, so we had a drink and a walk around while housekeeping finished with our room...nice pool... nice day room at the bar...okay grounds, nothing fancy...can't say anything about the rooms in the other buildings as we only saw ours.
We had the cottage ("C1"), the small pink building nearest the beach in the onshore photo at the OHBI website. It's a few steps across the road from the loovely Bahamian sea and a nice-but-not-great white sand beach, but a bit of a walk from the pool. The design and decor--octagonal studio apartment with a roomy bathroom and fully-equipped kitchenette--were attractive and up-to-date; the floor plan made it spacious enough that two adults were not bumping into each other. There is no ceiling--a ceiling fan is suspended from the roof beams--so the bathroom "wall" is only a ceiling-high partition. There was an a/c which we did not use... one broken window blind...smallish closet...the entire place was spotless except for a conspicuous amount of hair left in the tub drain and on the tile above the tub--a surprising oversight considering the overall state of cleanliness otherwise. A nice raised balcony (the door to which needs a drape in place of the sheet that was tacked across it for privacy) with a couple of chairs and a small table looks right out over the ocean. Traffic on the road between the cottage and beach was light enough not to be an annoyance...but there is a guard shack (manned at night) directly below the bathroom and bedroom windows.
We had lunch but not dinner at the hotel restaurant...basic sandwiches...nothing special... service slow even for burgers and fries. (There is a very good Bahamian restaurant two miles up the road... and OHBI is on the bus route--also the less costly way to Cable Beach/Nassau--with frequent service until about 6:00 p.m. and a bus every hour through the evening after that. There's also is a shopping center about a ten minute walk toward town, with an outrageously expensive grocery market, a pharmacy, a liquor store, health club, and other shops--but no bank.)
Overall I'd give the place a thumbs-up and would definitely return...nice accommodations, nice people, nice atmosphere, nice price.
TA users please feel free to email with any questions about OHBI or Nassau/Eleuthera travel in general...Bon Voyage!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of December 2005

It's quiet, peaceful and out of the mainstream

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Our stay at Orange Hill was a homey friendly experience. It has a country-rustic feel with a very laid back relaxing environment. Book direct with hotel, you may receive a discount, I did!

If you are looking for a reasonable place to stay and just a bed, this is the place for you. This hotel is nothing fancy.

This hotel is located about 20-30 minutes (approximately) bus/car ride from main downtown Nassau, for that it is very peaceful and quiet at night.

Transportation, this hotel is out of the way... A few options are available, you can catch the #10 bus goes right into downtown Bay Street, costs a dollar, pay the driver at the end of your ride. Catch a ride with hotel staff for their daily grocery run, or cab. The most we paid from town on cab was $14.

The bed was alright, I found it moved with me as I turned in my sleep.

Bathroom is basic; in my room it was small with no counter space. It was only supplied with soap, if you are used to all the bells and whistles like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, face soap, hair-dryer etc. - you will not find it here. At least I didn't receive these items.

TV channels... well most of people who go on vacation don't go to watch TV, but those who do this hotel had 5 channels with split cable wiring, so the channels were fuzzy. One of the channels played movies 24/7, which was a nice way to unwind or to have as background noise as we got ready.

Shower water pressure is minimal, enough tho to get yourself all cleaned up.

Room, I can hear in my pool-side room people, tv, and the telephone ringing from other rooms.

Self-laundry service area for $4 you have your detergent, wash, and dry. It is available 24/7 with priority to maid-services during the day. The dryer was fast, it dried all our thick clothing in 20 minutes! I couldn't believe it.

Access to internet...is available in the main building, right beside front desk. a computer costing $5 per half hour of use, reasonable and comfortable. It was a little slow, but hey it got me to my e-mail!

The pool was nice; it's small but good for a quick dip and children. Pool side amenities included lawn chairs and out-door dining table/chairs. Bring motive candles, light at the end of the night while you relax on your patio, at the swinging chairs, or by the pool-side!

The ocean is very close to the hotel, just down the stairs and across the street and you are there! I didn’t test the waters or use the beach. But what I could see, it can be a peaceful tanning place and for floating around in the waters. The sand in Nassau is very fine powder like, so it is clingy even when rinsed off. So opting for OHBI beach could be a favourable decision, close to your room – to take a thorough shower.

The management-family has a few friendly cats that roam around. You might have a little visitor in your room, if your patio door is open to invite the furry fellows.

Their cute little bar is a nice place to unwind. Games are available to play and a t.v. to watch.

The stairs to the hotel! Whew! There is not many, but at the end of the day… they were a long climb!

Closest amenities were about 10 minute walk… facing the ocean…walking right would bring you to Caves Village, a little place to buy food, alcohol, and a very nice fine-dining restaurant Villaggio. We ate at Villaggio, it was one of two restaurants we favoured during our 6 day stay.

A little few down sides to my experience here... there were these little-tiny insects that were attracted to our foods and drinks. I didn’t feel comfortable putting my drinks down for too long, being afraid of little bugs getting their feet into it as well. And I experienced one night after returning back to the room, a little lizard, like a getgos (sp?) roaming around. It was just as scared as me and ran under the fridge. I did complain about the lack of maid-services, just about little things.

If you stay here and are looking for a fun activity based environment, catch the bus to Radisson Cable Beach Resort, get off and enjoy all their hotel activities! Their beach is unbelievable!

Orange Hill is rated #2 hotel to stay in the Bahamas for some reason, it is a good budget-minded hotel; average or less than average hotel standard wise; customer services is commendable. Their friendliness was there, only if I were to reach out to them first.

I agree tho, it is a warm home-like environment, that is trusting and respectful of you. Peaceful is the one word that describes Orange Hill Beach Inn."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of November 2005

Best laid-back atmosphere

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"This family-owned inn is absolutely perfect for those who abhor the frantic pace of a stuffy, impersonal hotel. The atmosphere is completely relaxed, and all guests are made to feel they are part of the family. Accommodations are good, and the newest "bungalows" are very, very nice. If room service is not important, and island atmosphere is your quest, this is most definately the place. Also, excellent association with dive operators for great dive adventures."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of November 2005

Forget Other Revievs This is The real scoop!!!...Diver

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Well let me start by saying that this might be a little long but is what you REALLY need to know about Nassau/Orange Hill.
I am a 39 year old veteran police officer in Houston and have been diving for almost 7 years. This trip I took with my awesome girl friend 35 yrs old (veteran diver) and my incredible 14 year old daughter (first time diver)
This is our second trip back to Nassau. So I am going to tell you straight up no bull*** what to expect if this is your first time.
We stayed our first trip in Nassau at the South Ocean Resort next to Stuarts Cove Dive Shop. It was great and we would have stayed there again for the peace and quiet but, this hotel has since been closed down for renovations.
Since we could not stay at South Ocean we decided on Orange Hill.
Now before I tell you about this hotel, you must understand that if you are looking for action, glitz and glamour, casino lights and parties then go to Cable Beach Hotels and Casinos or pay out your ying-yang and stay at the Atlantis in Paradise Island and have nightly mints on your pillows and your butt kissed 24/7. If you REALLY want to see how the locals live and a true feel for the island then keep reading!
We booked our entire trip through Stuarts Cove Home office. We stayed 7 days Sat to Sat....
Arrived Continental Airlines around noon on Saturday took Majestic Tours transfers to orange hill (opt out of this and take a cab, hotel is close to the airport and cheaper) will cost maybe $12.00 vs. 50.00 for transfers are good if you are going to Cable Beach/Paradise Island/far South Ocean.
On your way to the hotel take off your watch cause you won't need it!!!
The American way of life you have always known quick, fast pace, got to have it right now...no longer exist. you are now on Caribbean time.
Understanding Caribbean time will make you a happier guest and will cause the locals to treat you like one of their own. Most of the people who have issues with these locals and service forget to do this before they ever arrive and are stressed and have a bad vacation.
Now that you are on Caribbean time read on...
When you arrive at Orange Hill it's just that, a small simple little hotel that sits on a hill top. This hotel is family owned by a lady named Judy and her son. They are ABSOLUTELY AWESOME and treated us great, even making sure we had a little something to eat before we left on our last day, even when the kitchen was closed. Can't say enough about Judy it was like staying at your aunt or grandmas house. The hospitality was great!
How many places in the world can you go to a hotel and the OWNER of the resort takes time in the evening to come sit down at a table in the small bar area and bring you some homemade dip & crackers. ..(Delicious)!! And teach you one of her favorite board games "Sequences" cool game...we visited, relaxed, played games and had cocktails, then she made us dinner. AND the bartender Rick...was funny and a very interesting person...he had a very quirky sense of humor. Speaking of which we have tried almost all the "island restaurants" from conch fritters, Johnny canoes, fish frys, etc...and I will say they are over priced and the food sucks...the best meals we had were right there with Judy in the small un-crowded restaurant…like sitting in grandma's kitchen waiting on dinner to be served...food was great and had a great variety of grouper, salad (lettuce and tomatoes) steak, and seafood...burgers & fries and stuff for kids. Note the kitchen is closed on Wednesdays & Saturdays so plan your meals accordingly breakfast $7.00 - $10.00 per/person for lunch $10.00-$12.00 dinner about $20.00-$25.00 depends on what they are serving and sometimes it would be a buffet...good!! AND THE BEST DESSERTS IN TOWN...BONAFI PIE & Judy's RUM CAKE...DELICIOUS!!!
So with that said let's tell you about the hotel...
The hotel would be a about the same as staying in a motel 6. The hotel has only about 25-30 rooms. If you are a diver and spend little time in your room and are there to dive and eat you hit the jackpot!
This hotel is far enough away from the wild cable beach party people but close enough that you can take a "jitney" (local bus) that picks up right in front of the hotel and for $1.00 per person each way ride into Nassau and hit the straw market to get your souvenirs. There is a small shopping center with a pharmacy and liquor store in walking distance from the hotel approximately 3 football fields distance...not open all the time check the hours.
Judy and staff ensure that it is quiet and restful for all. The small pool area is ok for the kids but I NEVER swam in the pool I went to the beach and swam in the ocean. That brings us to the beach area. Most of us are looking to have a nice beach to relax and enjoy paradise. You have to walk down the 50 stairs to the roadway and cross over to the beach. This is a public beach and anyone has access to it. The locals will be seen down relaxing with family, but it was never crowded. The beach is not too bad, however we did see lots of broken glass bottle and some broken glass in the water here and there just be careful. Judy will give you free snorkeling mask, fins, etc. to use if you don’t have your own, and right down from the hotel is a small reef where we took our first dip in the water right after we got off the plane. We saw barracuda, scorpion fish, rock fish, crabs, sea shells and a huge star fish!! It was good to break in my daughter to the waters before we started diving that week...she thought that it was cool…haven’t seen anything yet wait till you get to Stuarts Cove!!
We just chilled on Saturday and Sunday went into town. Like I said take the "jitney" to downtown straw market...very hot place...see the locals and you can talk them down on prices fun to do...while you are there walk out to the ferry boat and take it across to Atlantis and see that place WOW!! The boat ride is $3.00 per person each way and you will get a nice little tour and history of the Bahamas. Atlantis is a cool place to tour, marvel at what man can create, “oooh” and “ahhh”, take some photos of the eagle rays in the tanks but would never stay there, too expensive and not my style. Now that I am talking about tours this would be a good time to tell you that at the hotel you can get maps brochures on different things to do. This time we did take a day off of diving mid week, just to do something different. We did the power boat adventures very pricey $190.00 per person...cool experience one of those “one-time” deals just to see what it was about had a blast but was one of those did it once in this life-time and would use the cash and dive more next time. Not worth $190.00 drop price to $75.00-$100.00 worth it (it is only $125.00 for a shark dive).
Well we wrapped up the weekend and started our first day of diving on Monday
I save the best for last...You have got to dive with Stuarts!!!
Stuart’s bus picks up at the hotel in the morning 8:20 a.m. so plenty of time for one of Judy’s breakfast omelets!!! Yummy!!!
We did the 2 tank a.m./2 tank p.m. dives and 3 p.m. shark dives...best dive site is the RAY OF HOPE (you get to see the sharks, but don’t have to pay for the shark dive)…and we enjoyed feeding fish at golden key, mike’s reef, stay away from steel forest the current is to rough…too much work...dive masters are great and look out for everyone... boat not too crowded except shark dive the use smaller boat but still ok if you know dive boat etiquette. And of course, the best diving for big animal encounters which are what we go for the SHARK DIVES!!!!!...AWESOME!!! Best feeders Davito and Ervin!!
my daughter was blown away!!!!!!!!! She is hooked!!!
We ate lunch at the dive shop…sandwich, chips and a drink about $6.00 per person and then went out in the afternoon to dive…or if you are just a.m. diving you can take the shuttle bus back to the hotel...dive shop has cool t-shirts better than straw market (3 for $10.00) but will pay $25.00-$29.00 a shirt at Stuarts (but the quality of shirts is worth the price)... I live in tanks and a swim suit...got to get at least one shark shirt w/Stuarts logo is world renowned...
Now you know the REAL Scoop...want more information, you can ask me at
[email protected]
Will give you any info I can not listed in this review"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of September 2005

Hotels near Orange Hill Beach Inn

Stayed at Orange Hill Beach Inn? Share your insight.

Orange Hill Beach Inn is also called