The Main Pool at the Graycliff Hotel

Got Married

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"Loved the Graycliff!! We had a very small wedding there and were so happy. The staff was polite and ever so helpful. It is not located directly on the beach but in very close walking distance (about 0.2 miles). The location is not what you would expect, in not too great of an area but the hotel itself is beautiful. This is great for an intimate getaway. We enjoyed it so much we are returning in a few weeks for our 1 year anniversary."

• Travel date: 6th February 2007

Get Away

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Hi, I just wanted to take a moment to share a few thoughts on an incredible time had at GrayCliff Hotel and Resort...A group of longtime girlfriends got together and had a weekend getaway....We were four woman looking for rest, relaxation and pampering..We found it all at GrayCliiff in Nassau Bahamas..The Hotel Rooms were exquisite, The decorating incredible, and the staff was charming.. The bathrooms were clean which is important for the girls...GrayCliff Rest. as well as the humidor Rest are incredible, with great attention payed to details, it is a step back into old world charm...The menu's are diverse, and the wine list "was as big as the yellow page phone book.".."INCREDIBLE".... The grounds and gardens are beautiful, the pools are tranquil and clean... The location is great, as it is very close to downtown Nassau and shopping as well as the world famous straw market...I highly reccommend this property for any number of reasons...a wedding would be incredible here, romance would be at an all time high...Well enjoy your stay.. I know we did, and will again.... Cheers! Sincerely, Donna Jupiter, Florida"

• Travel date: 28th January 2007

Nice decor, bad food

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"The moment that you enter the Graycliff you feel important. It is a very charming small hotel with many delightful architectural nuances. It represents old Nassau that has been long lost with the arrival of mega cruise ships and Vegas-style hotels. We chose the Graycliff because we were told by a local that the restaurant and its wine list were exceptional. The hotel is not on the ocean, so we figured that the property must keep guests happy with the cuisine and the lovely pool and garden. Everything about the Graycliff was decent with the exception to the most critical element – its food. Dinner was a huge disappointment. I must say that the grand fanfare of the monogrammed plates and the grand price (even expensive on Nassau standards) increased my expectations. Their wine list is 100% theater. They have a very large selection with wines listed that cost about $4,000. Their by-the-glass offerings unreasonably limited for a restaurant in its “class.” The Snapper arrived on my plate wrapped in tinfoil. The consistency of the fish gave obvious clues that it was frozen in a traditional freezer for a long time. The sauce resembled a second-rate American-Chinese restaurant. My dinner companion had the Grouper with an equally bad sauce and overcooked vegetables. I sent my Snapper back in favor of a steak, thinking that a $45 steak would be an easy choice. I was again disappointed by the steak. The consistency was oddly rubbery. At that point however I was very hungry and did my best to try to make the most of this disastrous meal. Later the General Manager conceded that he was well aware that their Snapper is terrible. When asked why—he gave me the excuse that the “Africans” sell him bad fish. I left with the understanding that there is little respect for the hand that feeds them. A bad meal is insulting but for a manager to admit to delivering a bad meal with an absurd excuse is unacceptable. The restaurant removed one entrée from our dinner bill. If you stay at the Graycliff, eat somewhere else."

• Travel date: 20th January 2007

Weekend Escape

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"It is with great excitement that I write to this site...My wife and I are both Medical working professionals and find it very hard to find quality time together at home, so we like to do the mini escapes not to far from Florida...GrayCliff Hotel in Nassau is a perfect solution for this escape from reality ,GrayCliff has truley covered all of our creature comfort requests....The hotel itself is first class and the suites are comfortable and decorated in true classic upscale style....The food is 5 star as well as the wait staff...Our favorite experience was hard to say as there were several the Humidor Restaurant...the hand rolled Cuban type GrayCliff brand Cigar, and most of all if you are lucky you will catch the owner Enrico Garzaroli "who is part of the charm of the whole experience" he will take you on a guided tour of the world famous wine cellar...As this was our first visit of many and came highly ranked from our colleauges, we will not hesitate to spread the word of our fantastic experience....We hope that you will find the same experience in your visit.. Sincerely, Dr. Oscar Palma"

• Travel date: 20th January 2007

An Avoidable experience. Overpriced and very poor service.

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"The hotel spa did not work and neither did the shower in the room. The staff while polite were ill trained and often got the breakfast order wrong. For $ 325 / night, the service was poor and no reparations were made for a Spa that was promised. Restaurant was grossly overpriced and the quality of food was acceptable but nothing to write home about. DO NOT Fall for all the charm that they promise."

• Travel date: 12th January 2007

Lovely and secluded

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Celebrating our 20th anniversary, we wanted to be able to experience Nassau close up-not from a resort perspective. We loved the room, the staff was attentive (great service) the food delicious, and the ambience was lovely. The gardens and pool areas were beautiful and private, a welcome change from the crush of the resorts. We were close enough to walk to Bay Street and Shirley Street, and see the Junkanoo parade- WOW! and to our delight we could still hear the music when we returned. Walking out to explore downtown Nassau (Library, museums, and yes, even the Straw Market) was easy, as was getting a taxi or jitney (an excellent way to see the "real" city) when venturing farther afield. (Go to Twin Brothers and the Fish Fry for good native food.) All in all a delightful experience. You should go!"

• Travel date: 2nd January 2007

Outstanding Rooms and Food

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"I have stayed at Graycliff on three occasions. In 2004, my experience was great. In 2005, it was even better. And my most recent stay in December 2006 was the best. Many areas have been updated beautifully. I'm not sure which I like better: the rooms or the food."

• Travel date: 18th December 2006

Leaning more towards 'shabby' than 'chic'.

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"The Graycliff is a unique property in Nassau- a historic house and grounds with a reputation for its history and luxury. They like to promote the fact that the Duke and Duchess of Windsor stayed there, making it sound like a nice place to stay-- which is probably was... in the 1940s!! What's desperately needed is a whole lot of TLC for the 'inn' part of the property. 1001 little things are falling apart: Gates off their hinges, stairs with chunks of concrete missing, ceilings that have cracks, and SO MUCH MORE. The general impression I got there was that either the management is absent or has stopped caring, and that the staff aren't very happy. In so far as service goes, as a hotel guest, you were largely left on your own. If you want anything when you're down by the pool, you'd better get it yourself, and if someone says they'll bring you a drink, you'll need to find them and remind them. I'm currently worried about whether our final bill was charged accurately, as no one was around to give us our key deposit back in the morning, so likely we'll have to chase them for this now that we're home, or call our credit card company to see what's what-- just another unnecessary added hassle from having stayed here. The person who complained about the bathroom amenities is right-- these are nothing to write home about. I also had a bath, which, after it drained, left a mysterious reddish-brown film at the bottom of the tub (it wasn't from me, I swear!). My guess is that it might've been rust from a water heater, or some kind of silt. Definitely icky. Now on to the better aspects: The Churrascaria staff seemed nice (though we didn't eat there), and touring the cigar making area was interesting. It was also nice to stay somewhere so quiet in the middle of Nassau and being able to walk to the attractions in town. The food at the main restaurant was fantastic-- in fact the whole main restaurant experience was great. The nitwit who complained about spending time in the lounge and placing their order there is nuts: This was a really nice aspect of the dinner, being able to sit a have a drink or two while listening to the pianist and then only going into the dining room when you felt you were ready to eat. All the staff that aren't at the inn are all working in this one small restaurant. There were probably two staff per guest there. It's definitely true that the prices are seriously expensive. We didn't even have wine and the bill went into the hundreds. Speaking of wine, despite the fact that they brag about having the biggest cellar in the islands, they only offer 6 crap wines by the glass. We couldn't understand why this would be. Why not offer stunning wines by the glass? All in all, this was one of those experiences that was OK to do once, but I never need to go back there again. For food, I'd rather go to restaurants ranging from those in the Atlantis complex to Clay Oven (just around the corner). For accommodations in Nassau, I much preferred Compass Point, though it is on the other side of the island."

• Travel date: 19th November 2006

a rare pearl of good taste

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I am the manager of an international news agency, and i fly more than 800 hours a year, and I have been to hundreds of hotels all over 106 countries, I was at graycliff about 10 years ago, and while I found the place charming and the food good, it did not strike me much. I own a villa in the bahamas at San Salvador, and I go through Nassau a lot, and I went instead at Radisson. This was complete in august, so I went to Graycliff. There has been a dramatic change. All rooms have been renovated, at they are very large, with bathrooms in marble, and all the possible conforts I had an enormous room, Hibiscus, by the pool: the only hitch is that there was no shelf in the shower ( yes in the tub), so I had to put my shampoo on the floor. But they say they are still renovating... Many people go to graycliff for the restaurant, which has also very much improved and now competes with restaurants in europe. But what has grown into a unique monster is the wine list, which is now the printout of a computer ( there are 140.000 bottles, I read, and the guided tour in the cellar is like the one at La Tour D'Argent in Paris. You can also have a privatre dinner in the cellar, for an additional fee...) Some are unique, and so is the list of liquors, with the largest collection of Armagnac and Cognac. I drank for my birthday a glass of a Benedictine of 1.750, for the amount of 500 dollars. Not many will be able to share my experience...iot is the only bottle in the world... The other great addition has been a contiguous hotel, The Humidor, wihich is built around the Graycliff Cigar Factory, manned by cubans. Last time I was in Cuba Fidel Castro was expelling from the island the owner of Graycliff, who was accused of infiltrating the cigar industry, steel all secrets, and making cigars who were beating the cubans at international fairs. In spite of this, Graycliffd has the largest collection of cuban cigars I saw in my life, larger that what you can find in Cuba itself. or Geneva and London...But I did love the cigars they made on my personal taste, and you can visit the factory and stay there for a while... Fortunately, there is a large fitness room, with all the equipment you can think of. It is unused, and you can burn there all day your extra calories, at no cost. But this comibination of good taste and oustanding food,wine liquoprs and cigars, is very unique in Nassau and in the whole caribbean. But it is a place for people with very good taste, and a good mouth and nose. Otherwise, go to Radisson and British Colonial, or any standard good hotel in the Bahamas. It is an hotel for an elite, and if you are not part of that, you could feel out of place. Also the hotel is small, and it is not always easy to find a room. But for a few dollars moore, it is a unique sum of tantalizing experiences..."

• Travel date: 25th September 2006

Once in a lifetime experience

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"After a delayed and exhausting flight, my wife and I were warmly greeted at the front desk of this beautiful old mansion in the hart of Nassau. We were taken to our room, which was elegantly appointed with a private balcony and a view of the grounds. After a quick change we went down to the pool to unwind from our flight with a few drinks while we soaked up the warm afternoon sun. The pool at Graycliff is not crowded at all. The rooms were all booked, but we never saw more than two people at the pool at any time. There is nothing like having a private olympic size swimming pool. We arrived at the restaurant that evening and were greeted by a very gracious hostess who showed us to the elegant lounge filled with antique furnishings and paintings. We sat comfortably with our drinks while the maitre d' explained the menu and took our orders. Then the knowedgable sommelier came by and paitently went through one of the most extensive wine lists with some of the most sort after lables in the world. The wine list is a true wine lovers paridise in itself. A few moments later the hostess showed us to our table with our first courses arriving shortly thereafter. My escargots were cooked to perfection and my wifes' conch chowder is the best on the island. An intermezzo of sorbet was served between courses, a simple elegance in fine dining that has been lost over the years in my opinion. Our main courses of spiney lobster with a silky white wine butter sauce and a black angus aux poivre were well balanced and full of natural flavors. As if we weren't already impressed, our desserts of the lightest souffles completed an already perfect meal. Throughout dinner the waitstaff at Graycliff attended to us with elegance. Plates were removed and wine was poured without the slightest interruption. The waiters are true professionals who take pride in what they do. If you are accustomed to cookie cutter restaurants that pass themselves off as fine dining establishments, stay on Paridise Island. If you are true food and wine lover and want to experience dining the way it use to be and the way it should be, dine at Graycliff. It is an epicurean delight! And, if you appreciate personalized service in quiet surroundings, stay at the Graycliff hotel...if you can get a room."

• Travel date: 5th September 2006