About Compass Point Beach Resort

• kitchenette

Awesome stay

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Great beach, cute huts and awesome food....what more can one wish for in the Caribbeans? I loved the fact that the resort atmoshere is intimate and cozy, and not at all crowded like at the Atlantis.

My husband and I had our wedding and reception at CP, and everything turned out beautifully. I had booked the place without seeing it in person! Our wedding guests, who stayed on the property, still rave about the unique island charms of the place. The GMs, Linda and Skip, were very helpful.

All the meals we have had at the restaurant were great...haven't had a morsel of bad food. Of course, the cost of food was a bit pricey, but it is the same situation everywhere on the island. So expect to splurge for good food.

The only negative I can think of is that the rooms do have a tendency to spring leaks during heavy rain. For the price of the room, I would have expected that to be remedied ASAP."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

Compass Point--Some good some not

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"If you want a place away from the maddening crowd, this is the place for you. We are travelers who don't need a lot of action and amenities, so we loved this side of the island. We were at the end in unit #114, a very nice room. Be sure you get a unit with an overhang over your porch-- some don't have one.

Pros: Your cabin is right on the water, walking distance to Love Beach, very quiet towards the Love Beach end, away from the restaurant and the pool. Restaurant is nothing special and too expensive. Venture out to other places like the Poop Deck. But don't ever expect wonderful food in the islands.

Cons: Be sure you understand that there are only shutters with screens(no windows!!). We could never cool the place with the island humidity leaking through the shutters. We would have preferred real windows. Check your light bulbs--not all of ours worked. At this price level, it seems that the staff would check all that between guests. Also, They really need to have an ice machine in the middle area of the property so that guests don't have to take their ice bucket way up to the bar.

Overall ,we have travelled a lot of islands, and would rate Compass Point a "4"."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2007

I was at that wedding!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I'm the groom of that wedding -- the one that drove you nuts (re: below post). Months ago we began the wedding planning process and decided on Compass Point. A wonderful, small resort in Nassau, Bahamas. One of the primary factors for our choosing this resort are the owners, Skip and Linda. Both are simply put, "Wonderful!" Linda worked with us for months to coordinate what our guests said was the best wedding ever. Our guests who mostly stayed at Compass Point raved about Linda's friendliness when making reservations, etc.

The 11 days we were at Compass Point, Skip and Linda went above and beyond to accommodate our guests which occupied 11 of the 18 units. They went so far as to replace an A/C unit that was making noise in one of the huts in less than a days time. They always exchanged friendly smiles with our guests and us.

In response to the below post, we threw a hell of a party - even a couple or two staying at Compass Point decided to join in, dance and drink with us. My suggestion to the below poster, loosen up and get a life."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2007

Private, local and excellent

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Exactly what I was looking for - small facility, personal service. We were there to dive, and had an ocean front view. Felt so safe didn't need to lock doors at night. Perfect place if you're looking for local color and excellent accomodations. Very relaxed atmosphere, local restaurant has nice fare. Will stay again when in Nassau."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2007

Rude Owners

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"After reading the fabulous reviews about Compass Point we decided to stay there for three nights during our week long trip to the Bahamas. We had booked to stay in the Sheraton (formerly Radisson on Cable Beach) and after reading the reviews about there I was really worried about that stay but really looking forward to Compass Point! I neednt have worried, the Sheraton was AMAZING (will post separate review) but Compass Point was so disappointing.

Firstly the location, it does look gorgeous with the pretty painted huts and the pool and the beach, but it is very far from anything, that probably wouldnt have bothered us, had the atmosphere been inviting as often great service can make up for other short comings, but the service was by no means great. There were three staff members that we found polite and helpful, Berlin, Janice and Shamita, but that was about it. I cant understand how other reviewers can say that Skip and Linda were polite and helpful because we found them to be just plain rude.

We had paid for a seaview studio and were put in room 102 just beside the pool, our first impressions were that it was really lovely, a little dark but simple and pretty. We then went for lunch, there was a wedding on that evening so the staff was pretty busy. Skip passed our table several times and approached me only when my boyfriend had left the table to get me a sweater from my room. He asked what room I was in and informed me that the music would be on a "little later than usual" that night because of the wedding. He never mentioned that later that afternoon we would have a stream of people parading around on the porch or our hut getting pictures taken, he never mentioned that the music level would be so loud that we couldnt even hear our tv or that the wedding party would be shouting and shrieking directly outside our room til 3am. At no stage did he even apologise that we would be inconvenienced. I found it strange that he approached me as soon as my botfriend left the table especially as the reservation was made in his name! Even the next day after the wedding at no time were we approached to ask how our stay was going and to ask if we had been inconvenienced by the wedding. Obviously our stay was considered inferior to the wedding party because we were only two guests and the wedding party seemed to make up the rest of the resort. However they should not have accepted our booking if they could not accommodate both. We should not have been assigned that room in the middle of the wedding, it was a very poor exercise in customer relations service that we were put in the heart of the wedding party, we should have been allocated a room away from the noise.

We had heavy rain while we were there and the roof leaked and left my boyfriend's clean clothes wet. We reported this and were told it would be reported to maintenance but it appears that nothing was done because the roof kept leaking. The toilet was continually flushing whether it was flushed or not and the light switch didnt work.

When Linda did finally address us it was in a patronising and condescending tone treating my boyfriend like a child and asking him if the bride's mother was his mother! When he told her that she had the wrong person she didnt apologise but raher kept staring at him and didnt say another word.

As for the food, the lunch menu was tasty but the dinner was awful. I had a pasta in alfredo sauce which was more like pasta in a creamy soup. I couldnt eat it, it was horrible and way over priced at $21! My boyfriend ordered a chicken dish that was $26 but was told by the waiter that was a "boring " choice, in other words he should order something more expensive. When the waiter came back to clear our dishes he could see that I had barely touched my pasta but the only comment he made was to my boyfriend when he said "I thought you were going to help her with that"!

When we finally checked out we still werent asked how our stay was or if everything was ok for us! Talk about appalling customer service, I would definitely NOT recommend this place and if you are thinking of booking here think again because its quite obvious that the only thing that is important to these owners is how much money they can make on their property rather than the comfort of their guests."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2007

Perfection

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My huband and I recently stayed at Compass Point for 4 days. This was for my 30th birthday without our 3 children. After reading so many raving reviews about Compass Point I have to say that Compass Point far exceeded our expectations! Compass Point itself is absolutely breathtaking. The rooms are simple, but provide everything you need. There is a king size bed, a desk, chest of drawers, flat screen TV, DVD/CD player, mini-fridge, microwave, toaster, and in-room safe. The windows do not have glass on them, but wooden shutters and screens to allow you to open up the shutters to get a wonderful cross-breeze. There is also A/C in the room, but even in June we did not need it with the breeze. There are french doors that open up to the deck overlooking the water with 2 chairs and a table. This was our favorite spot. We spent hours sitting, talking, and looking at the water.

The resort itself was full during our stay, but was never crowded or loud. We ate at the restaurant for all of our meals, and even after 4 days, we never had a problem deciding what to eat. The food was incredible. The portions were very large and everything we ate was delicious. The staff was amazing. From the girls in the front office to our waiters, as well as Skip and Linda, they were more than willing to answer any questions and made you feel like part of their family.

The snorkeling is fantastic. There are masks and fins you can use for free. Go directly under the pier. There are a ton of fish there every day. For more adventure head towards Love Beach by the glass bottom boat to see some beautiful coral reefs. We found sand dollars, conch shells, and a starfish right in front of the pier.

As I said, we were there without our 3 children celebrating my 30th birthday. My husband decided to plan a romantic dinner for us and asked if we could have dinner out on the pier one night. There are already chairs and a table on the pier, but our waiter (Hi Berlin) brought a white tablecloth and a hurricane globe filled with seashells and a candle and transformed the pier into a private dinner setting for 2 watching the sunset. Both owners, Linda and Skip, came to check on us to make sure our dinner was meeting our expectations. After dinner we had 4 waiters come on the pier and sang happy birthday to me complete with cake and candles. There was also a present brought to me from Skip and Linda.

By far, this is an amazing place to stay. There is not a single detail overlooked and the staff is the best around. I cannot think of anything I would change. Compass Point was truly a relaxing and beautiful place to stay and we cannot wait to go back!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of June 2007

Compass Point - as great as ever!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Stayed there for three nights from June 3-5. We had stayed there 8 years ago and only realized when we booked that it had been closed for a few years as a result of storm damage, and only reopened last November. Although it is still affiliated with the Island Outpost group, it is no longer owned by them.
It is just a colourful and offbeat as it was 8 years ago. We loved the hexagonal room on stilts with an open sitting and kitchen area down below, all looking over the ocean. A nice little pool and a beautiful short beach/cove perfect for lazing about or swimming. They have bought the property to the west, which give them a pathway to Love Beach, which is nice to walk on (before you had to swim to it).

The reatuarant was reasonable and good quality - great if you lacked the urge to travel afar to eat. The staff everywhere were marvellous, from the manager who fixed my inability to connect to the free wireless, to the waiters who happily talked about their careers in the hospitality industry in the Bahamas.

In addition to free wireless, there is a hut with a computer, library, and snorkelling gear. A spa was just about to open.

This place is the antithesis of a mega-hotel like Atlantis. No more than 10 minutes from the airport (with a few jet flying overhead), it is a perfect adult relaxing getaway."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

Amazing Time at Compass Point

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My husband and I took our first trip to the Bahamas, staying at Compass Point, and couldn't have been happier. We spent 5 days enjoying the fantastic service provided Skip, Linda & their staff. Never have we seen such gracious and accommodating hosts. Our first day, Skip approached us as we were having lunch to make sure we were happy with our bungalow. Being in #108, which was the first "seafront
hut", we initially had some reservations but it turned out to be the best one in the resort. We were right next to the beach & pool, but never heard any noises from there or the bar area. With the louvered windows, we thought that might be an issue as we were there for relaxation, not partying & getting wild. If that is the type of vacation you're looking for, you're better off staying at Atlantis, as Compass Point is very laid back and seems geared toward a low key vacation. They did have some fun events in the bar area, a few nights during our visit, like Karaoke, so you don't have to worry that you'll be bored. The resort itself is absolutely beautiful and the junkanoo colors make it very festive.

Some summaries:
The resort & bungalow #108: The grounds are spectacularly manicured with gorgeous flowers everywhere. While it is a smaller property (there are 18 huts on a few acres), you never felt crowded or like you were on top of the other guests. The pool area never really even filled up and I was told the resort was fully booked up. There is a restaurant at the resort and the food is quite good. We did find it got pricey after a couple days, but that seemed to the case at most of the restaurants on the island (you are on an island after all) & there are few other options in the immediate area. We ended up visiting one of the local markets to stock up on some food to keep in our room, which worked out quite well with the fridge, micro oven,
and toaster oven in the room. The "hut" (we think "bungalow" is a much better term for the style of the buildings) is the coolest thing
we'd ever seen. Ours was octagonal with a huge, comfy bed and all the
amenities they describe on the Compass Point site. We loved the louvered windows and the french doors that open onto your private
balcony. We left our doors open all the time and never had a problem with bugs. The windows are great for being able to fall asleep to the
sound of the crashing waves. We didn't check out the studio huts, but
they seemed like a nice, less costly alternative to having your own hut. I would highly recommend spending the extra money and getting one of the seafront huts, if for nothing else than the sound of the water against the seawall beneath you. Another thing that makes this resort superior is the staff. Putting aside the fact that the owners,
Skip & Linda, tend to everything themselves which makes for a great sense of family, the front desk staff were top notch. They were incredibly accommodating with every request and always friendly. They
gave us a tour of the resort our first day and showed us how to get to Love Beach...the beach connected to the resort which basically seems like an extension of the resort itself. Love Beach is really great for morning beach walks & snorkeling. It was quite windy during
our visit so the sea was a little choppy, which made for less than ideal snorkeling conditions, but we did manage to see quite a bit regardless. The resort offers free snorkeling equipment, which we used many times during our stay. One other item that's been mentioned
in earlier reviews; the airplanes flying overhead. Yes we did
see/hear some planes going over the resort but nothing unusual for being on an island. Also, they were usually only a few through out the course of the day, and nothing after dark or early morning. We didn't really find it obtrusive or even noticeable after a couple days....kinda like when you live near a train, you don't even hear it after a while.

Getting around & sightseeing: While we enjoyed the resort being a short distance from the hustle & bustle of Cable Beach & Nassau, visitors wanting to spend a lot of time in those areas may want to seriously consider renting a car for at least a portion of the trip. We found the public transportation, the "Jitney", to be acceptable but not ideal. It didn't always come all the way down the resort to pick you up and often the driver would make us get off at the last
"turnabout" and walk back. Granted, it was only a 5 minute walk, but when you have packages from your shopping excursions and/or its hot out, its not exactly fun. However, only being $1 - $2 for the trip, what more could we really ask for? The trip into Nassau on the Jitney
took about 20 minutes on average. In addition, the Jitney only runs during daylight hours, (there was a "Western" bus that ran into the night but we never really figured it out) so if you have evening plans Taxis were a nice alternative. The one thing to keep in mind is Taxis don't work like in the States, where you can just flag one down unless you're in downtown Nassau where you might be able to convince a driver to take you back (we had a few refuse to take us
"all the way to Compass Point"). You usually have to make advance arrangements, which the resort will do for you for trips both from the resort and if you call from somewhere else needing a taxi, so take the resort phone number with you. However, they can get pricey at $15 per trip. We said we would rent a car or scooter for at least a few days of our next trip for sightseeing & shopping in Nassau. Nassau has a lot to offer if you are a shopping enthusiast, especially for jewelry & designer goods. Senor Frogs is a fun place for lunch on the waterfront, but be prepared to get forced into drinking. Not being big drinkers, we found it a little annoying at times, but its all in the spirit of the place. This is also a huge cruise port, so we did encounter crowds from the cruise ships near the Straw Market. One thing we found refreshing, in comparison the Jamaica anyway, was how safe we always felt around the island. The Bahamian people are so incredibly friendly and helpful. Even walking all around downtown Nassau, we never felt unsafe or uneasy, even in some of the less busy areas. The Queen's Staircase & Fort Fincastle were neat to see and the guides are worth the nominal "tip" they expect. The view from the top of Fort Fincastle is incredible too. We didn't make it over to Paradise Island, but from what we saw from a distance & have heard from others, we didn't miss much other than chaos & crowds. There were quite a few other sightseeing options that looked interesting. I would try to check out a Cricket match if you have a chance. Also, the marching flamingo show at Ardastra Gardens is supposed to be great, but we just didn't get a chance this time.

Overall, we would recommend Nassau, Bahamas & Compass Point to travelers looking for a vacation that offers fun, interesting sights,
and relaxation in a familiar but "just different enough" destination.
As mentioned earlier, if you're looking to get drunk, wild, or have constant stimulation around you, Compass Point in probably not for you. If you want a stylish, gorgeous, comfortable, friendly, upscale but affordable resort in a location just a bit away from the chaos of
downtown Nassau/Paradise Island, Compass Point is your place."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

Perfect Island Getaway

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"On the busy island of Nassau, Compass Point provides a quiet, serene paradise away from the hubbub of downtown. With well-pointed private bungalows, excellent food and drinks, a friendly and attentive staff, and a beautiful backdrop, Compass Point is the perfect place to get away from it all.

Feeling stressed? Need a true rest? Love food? Compass Point is your place!

Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

short stay at Compass Point

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Compass Point was recently the second part of a 5 day trip to the Bahamas for us - we stayed 2 nights here (we will review the other place that we stayed - Orange Hill - separately).

As you can see from the many trip advisor photos this is a very brightly colored resort (the inside of the rooms are very serene / not bright). Given that there are only 18 units (most of which are individual huts) we found it to be a very quiet and relaxing place to stay. The grounds are very well kept, the views spectacular and the rooms are very well appointed (flat screen TV, surround sound stereo, Aveda bath products, coffee maker, iron, umbrella, flashlight, electronic safe, hair dryer......and the list goes on. We honestly cannot think of one thing that we needed and could not find in the room! We had an elevated sea front hut and under our hut was a picnic table and outdoor kitchen (we didn't use it - who wants to cook on their holidays - but I suppose if someone was to stay for a long period it's nice to know this would be an option). Our room really impressed us - many windows that are louvered and screened (no glass) which is just the way we like it. The air conditioner is there if you need it but we didn't have to use it at all as the breeze came through our room nicely. The pounding of the surf under the hut lulled us to sleep both nights that we were there.

The ladies at the front desk were so friendly and helpful (special hello to Keshlia). The food at the restaurant was great. Although it was on the upper end of the price scale (coffee was almost $3.00 / average dinner was $25 to $40 US / average drink was about $6) the portions were generous and the meals - all of them - were fabulous. If you so choose, there is a stand approx. 100 yards to the left of the main entrance to Compass Point that sells fruit, snacks, beverages etc. for very reasonable prices. Traveller's Rest (restaurant) is a very short walk down the street as well and has good food as well (we ate there one night before moving over to CP). We found that the service in the restaurant at CP was up there with the best that we have experienced anywhere. In fact, Berlin and Dion really made our stay. Its the little things that often make the difference and this is true in our case. One night we asked if it would be possible to pop in one of our own CD's and when it was not (they have a sattelite system) out came Berlin with a portable CD player ! The manager, Skip, is very friendly and helpful and while this was our first time ever booking our accomodations directly with the resort this went without a hitch (e-mail confirmation and assignment of the exact room requested upon arrival).

While no trip or destination is perfect we struggle to come up with much that could have been improved upon - the only thing that comes to mind is that the beach itself is not very big. There is a foot path however at the end of the property that leads to Love Beach which is a beautiful stretch of beach that is great for walking. The hot tub could have been set at a higher temperature as well. Aside from that our experience was pretty close to perfect and we would not hesitate to return in the future!

We gave a rating of "4" only because we couldn't give it 4.5. If the overall cost of staying here were a bit lower we would bump it easily to a "5"."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of May 2007