Good

Can't wait to go back again!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"My husband and I have recently returned from our honeymoon in the Bahamas where we had a wonderful experience at this hotel. This is our second trip to the Bahamas. We have found the people on both occasions to be very customer oriented both in the hotels and out. When we arrived several hours before check-in time we inquired about possible upgrades, and ended up receiving an upgrade to their junior suite at no additional charge. We spent the first night in the standard room because the suite wasn't available, and there certainly wasn't anything wrong with it, although it was wonderful to have the additional space in the suite.

The last trip we took here we stayed at an all-inclusive resort and we thought we would spend more money this way, but in fact we saved money by not doing the all-inclusive and we felt like we had more freedom to do things outside the hotel.
People who stayed at the Atlantis said it was very crowded and they felt like they were trapped there being overcharged for everything! We can't wait to go back and stay at the Hilton again!"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of August 2004

Unexpected Surprise!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"When we arrived in Nassau, we found out that the South Ocean had closed for renovations. However they put us into the Hilton British Colonial on downtown Bay Street, and we had a fabulous time. The Hilton was a lovely hotel with grand decor, and was located so close to everything there was to do. We loved it!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of August 2004

i wish i'd known this before i went....

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"ok, so i'll give the hotel, overall, a 3 star out of 5 rating. The hotel itself, is nice looking on the outside (especially compared to most of the other bldgs in the area). the inside lobby and other common areas are also nice enough and clean. the room we had was decently sized, not too small. the bathroom was nice and big. the only issues w/ the room were that they really didn't do a good job cleaning it up. bathroom shower had lots of mold, etc that never got cleaned. shamppoo/conditioners are not good and in small quantity. the real issue i had w/ this hotel and why i would not stay here again is the beach (and to a lesser degree pool area). they did a fabulous job making the beach look nice in their website. in reality, it's about 200 ft wide, sectioned off (it's private) on each side by these huge, unsitely, rusting concrete piers. the water itself is not IDEAL, but it's decent looking and was ok enough to swim in i thought. it's fairly "tropical" looking. the sand on the beach here though was dirty, hard to walk on bc of this, and worse than other beaches in the area. the worst part is there is not really a set of waves crashing as the beach is proteced somewhat in the cruise ship harbor. so it's sort of stagnate water w/ no soothing sounds really, compared to a real beach. the view is NOT ideal either. unless you like looking at a city and cruise ships up close (300-500 ft away). if you want a nice tranquil quiet beach vacation, this is NOT your spot. we had to try and make a lot of day trips to try and find better beaches. we weren't interested in crowds, or mega parties, just relaxing, and this wasn't an IDEAL place for that that's for sure. the pool is decent, but nothing elaborate whatsoever.

the service at the hotel wasn't impressive either. i'd read lots of reviews saying it was so, but i disagree. avoid the restaurants and pool bar. service is very slow and no one seems to care to say thanks or make any efforts (they get the 15% tip automatic). i could say the same about the other restauratns in the area too unfortunately.

i wouldn't go back to the bahamas actually. i wasn't able to find really nice, calm, tranquil beaches anywhere w/ good sand. and the servcie on the island was definitely lacking. if i DID go back i wouldn't stay here. i'd recommend the OCEAN CLUB on paradise island. service was much better than and it's really beautiful and not overcrowded....(but it's expensive)"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of July 2004

Around the world Hilton Patron.

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"After staying at other Hiltons in the world, This has to be the worst. As you drive up to the hotel from a very busy and close-quartered buildings, you say to yourself...I don't know about this, than you walk into the lobby, you say OK! this is nice. you check in talking to a less than customer oriented clerk, and again, you think hmmm. Yoou get to your room and you lose it! I have seen bigger bathrooms than this "deluxe ocean room" with a "view" of harbor and adjacent building roof--very romantic--yeah right. Anyhow, one thing that is nice about this hilton, is the grounds. The hammock was great, but thats about it. The pool is what you would find at a one star hotel, and the beach is OK except for trash, and many cigarette butts getting stuck between your toes as an occasional floaties, or "runoff" from the closely docked cruise ships that dock practically in front of the "beach". The beach itself is approx 100ft long and 50ft wide bordered by rusty, nasty, old looking docks. If your looking for an ocean view, with clean beach, don't stay here. If your looking for a hotel staff that answers the phone when you call numerous times, don't stay here. My familly and I made the right decision by checking out five days early, and paying and extra $672 to move to Atlantis on paradise Island. It turned out to be the best choice for us, and it had all we expected friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms, good food, good service, and a kick-butt ocean view with awesome beach. DONT STAY ON PROVIDENCE ISLAND!!!, STAY ON PARADISE!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of July 2004

numero uno facility n service

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"a group of my friends surprised me and took me to nassau on my 78th bday. i have stayed at several different resorts over the yrs however the british colonial hilton , nassau -was to me "numero uno" the facilty was exqusite, the beach n pool breathtaking and the service was tremendous--- from the time we cked in, the front desk people were so friendly and happy, making our group feel so comfy---ramon adderly is a magnificient host on the conceigre level---i have already recommended this resort to several of my personal friends and business associates--i can't wait to revisit again next yr. i was at hotel may, 2004 for 7 happy nights."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of July 2004

Nice Spot Downtown

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed here for 4 days on a short vacation in June 2004. This was my first trip to Nassau, his second. We didn’t want to stay at one of the all-inclusives on Cable Beach and wanted something more relaxing than the crowded Disney/Vegas-feel of the Atlantis, so being ‘downtown’ sounded perfect for us. Overall, I would recommend the Hilton, but with a few caveats. My first reaction when we checked in was that I wanted to switch to another hotel. This is more of a business hotel, and while the lobby is lovely, the rooms are nothing special. Our first room was tiny, old carpet, dated fabrics. We switched to a second room that was larger and had a very nice, modern bathroom, but still just a so-so bed. The concierge and housekeeping staff were very friendly and helpful. When we had complaints they were quick to respond. The waitstaff in the hotel restaurant were not, however, and breakfast there was expensive for the average quality. I’d heard the beach was small and it was, although still very pleasant and clean. I believe it’s the only downtown hotel with a private beach. The grounds are very nicely maintained, with beautiful flowers and even a hammock in the shade to relax in. Despite the size, neither the beach nor the pool were ever over-crowded, and you never needed to rush to the beach in the morning to get a chaise before all the spots filled up. The bar at the pool was friendly -- drinks were well mixed and inexpensive. The guests were a mix of families, business travelers and couples on vacation. The cruise ships are indeed constantly there, reminding you that you’re downtown, so we drove over to Cabbage Beach several times when we wanted a peaceful beach escape with nothing but the ocean in front of us. I’ll say that by day two my opinion of the hotel had improved dramatically. It was fun to walk to the shops and the restaurants. Cafe Matisse was just a short walk and absolutely worth the visit for dinner. Never felt unsafe walking around at night. We ate on Paradise Island several nights as well, and it’s just a short drive over the bridge – very convenient. I think we got a good feel for Nassau by staying downtown, as well as an excellent rate at the Hilton. I would recommend the hotel, but next time we will likely look to spend more and stay elsewhere."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of July 2004

Extortion

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I was at the hotel on May 28th, 2004 because of a plane crash at Marsh Harbor that killed my daughter and injured my son-in-law. My son-in-law was at Doctors Hospital. I found everything to be fine except for the exhorbitant dollars it cost me to call the United States from the hotel to inform family at home of his physical progress. The phone calls cost me 75.00 each and I find that to be extortion.

Shirley Wilson"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of June 2004

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"June 2nd to Hune 12th 2004.

Isn't it strange how different people have different views of the same hotel? I've just read a review by someone who gave this hotel a "terrible" score, and then another by someone who gave it an "above average" score.

In my view it is mostly "above average." The staff are VERY friendly and helpful. We had a few minor problems, probably the worst being that we were allocated a room right by the lifts which I know from experience can be noisy in any hotel (this was even after having sent a fax direct to the hotel asking for a room in a quiet location, specifically away from the lifts). However, I do believe that the hotel thought that they were providing us with a better room by giving us this room as it was slightly larger than most rooms. Anyway we asked if we could move and within a few minutes we had a new room further down the corridor. No problems with noise from the maids who did a good job - so they should for the guaranteed gratuity they get! At least I hope they get it and it doesn't just go to the hotel. The maids did a good job every day and were flexible if we asked, as we did on one occasion, if they would make up our room at a specific time.

The rooms are fairly small, but adequate. The bathrooms are realtively big - perhaps when they do their next refit they will enlarge the rooms and make the bathrooms a bit smaller. Facilities in the room were OK - coffee/tea making, TV (why don't we get the Drew Carey Show in the UK? - Cleveland Rocks!) with pay per view movies (which did not work for the first half of our stay), minibar which we did not even open, safe (no surcharge to use this like in soom hotels!). Bathroom had a separate bath and shower. Toilet was in the bathroom.

The hotel has some decent facilities. Two reataurants - one open air by the pool/beach, and one inside. We had a couple of meals at each. The pool/beach reataurant (the Patio Grille) was fine, the inside one (the Portofino) not so good. Of the two meals we ate there one was good, the other not so good as we had a vegitarian meal that had bacon bits in and my steak was served with the wrong sauce. What annoyed me most about this was that they still added the 15% service charge. When I complained the reataurant manager just didn't seem to comprehend that the service charge should be waived. She did however reduce the price of the meal. I would have been happier paying full price for the meal but paying no, or at least a reduced, service charge. But I was on holiday and couldn't be asked to argue.

The private beach was fine. We spent a few hours there most days. Believe it our not the snorkelling straight of the beach was good. Just past the jetty lives a young Baracuda (in fact, right next to the shore in a few inches of water are a lot of tiny baracuda - really strange beacuse they look exactly like adult baracuda but only 2 or 3 cm long) and there are plenty of other fish to see. If you go out late evening just before sunset, you'll see a different variety of fish including a Moray Eel that lives in a pipe (that's what it looks like anyway) in the front of an overturned boat that you will easily find. The cruise ships add to the beach as it is quite intersting watching then coming in and turning round. They certailny don't cause any problems that we could see. The only annoyance on the beach is Senor Froggs. How the Hilton hotel allowed it to be built where it is I can't imagine. You can't access the place from the hotel but they are only separated by a fence, so there is no noise barrier between the two. It wasn't too bad though. Talking of Senor Froggs, we went there one evening to eat (at my wife's insistance I hasten to add) - NEVER again. The food and service were awful, and, as I had guessed, the "entertainment" was not to our taste.

Regarding other peoples complaints about extras that get added onto the hotel bill. All extras in the pricing were clearly shown when we booked the hotel so there were no unexpected charges. It seems that all hotels in the Bahamas have these extra taxes (a lot like the USA) and they don't try to hide them.

So, the important question. Would we stay there again? Most certainly YES. I mus say thet we on an Executive Floor which gave us access to the Executive Lounge. This gives you a buffet breakfast, afternoon tea and drinks (beer, wine, sprits and soft) and snacks in the evening, included in the price.

Some recommendations:

Just opposite the hotel (apart from the Dunkin' Donuts and MacDonalds) is Conch Fritters which we can recommend. Also, the resaurant at the Graycliff is excellent - expensive but very good food and service (just a few minutes walk up the hill). Probably best to book at the Graycliff - the Concierge will do it for you. Anthony's on Paradise Island is also good. It's worth the $29 to get a guided tour of the aquariums at Atlantis."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of June 2004

Nassau Hilton - a rip off

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Truely awful. Having spent the past four months on the road, I was hoping that the Hilton in Nassau would be a nice break in pleasant surroundings.

OK, I can´t fault the surroundings, but the attitude of the staff was truely unprofessional. I have never seen in all my travels a collective group of people care less about the level of service they provided.

When I checked in, they had lost my pre-paid reservation, and then had the audacity to charge me $6 for the internet so I could prove that I had a pre-paid reservation. (The reservation number was not enough! I did note that it had mysteriously appeared by the time I came to check out).

When we complained to reception at being woken up at 4am by hotel employees shouting in the corridor outside our room for 15 minutes we were told "I´ve just come on and don´t know anything about it". When we asked him to find out he said "sure" as he ran out into the parking lot to smooch with his girlfriend. That was the last we heard of it.

In the room, if my wife stood on my shoulders she could see some natural daylight, otherwise it was absent. The hairdryer didn´t work, the coffee machine had no coffee pot, the tv remote didn´t work (even after replacing the batteries ourselves as none were forthcoming from the hotel) and the hotel pay-per-view was absent presumed missing. The cocktails were a disgrace at $7 each plus 15% service charge added automatically for my convenience - we could hardly taste any booze.

We also found we were lied to, on numerous occasions, by the hotel reception staff who didn´t have the courage just to say "I don´t know". We would prefer honesty to incessant lying.

The endless list of additional charges that get added to your bill, service levies, hotel levies, maid charges, was just too much given the complete absence of any decent service. Take my advice if you´re paying - stay somewhere else there are plenty of hotels in the area and the prices appear to be comparable. I know from now on I will never stay in another Hilton hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of June 2004

Very friendly staff, but not very quiet

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the hotel from May 8th-May 16th. This was a great time to go! No crowds. The weather was pleasant with nice trade winds. The hotel is very nice and the staff was very friendly. The only part of the trip that was not pleasant was the noise from housekeeping every morning at 8:00am. Be sure that your room is away from the elevator and way down the hall. We had a nice ocean view but close to the maid's quarters which are right by the elevators and rooms. They were so loud! Very nice people, but loud! The pool and beach are nice. It was neat to see the cruise ships dock. Right around the corner there is a Senor Frogs. Food was so so, kinda pricey. The hotel is next to a marketplace. This area can be crowded when the cruise ships come in. Be prepared to be asked a million times to buy something or have your hair braided. Little kids will come up and ask if they can sing you a song. Again, the people on the island as so nice!! Even the taxi drivers are friendly! Also, at the hotel there was live music in the bar downstairs that started around 9pm and ended at 1am. Our room was on the 6th floor and we could still here it pretty loudly. The higher up you can go the better. My husband is a Diamond Member with Hilton and we had access to the Executive Lounge. This was awesome!! The breakfast was wonderful and in the evening it was open bar from 6pm-10pm. The food was wonderful. We made this our dinner many nights. You have to visit the Atlantis. Be aware though, if you want to go over there for the day and use their facilities. It costs $200. We were told $15 by the hotel, but that is not true. We walked around and visited the casino. It was really nice! Be prepared to spend some cash there. It is expensive there! If you want a vacation where you can relax and read and leave your worries behind, this is the place to come. Note, that there is a daily 10% maid service charge per person added to your daily bill and a 15% gratuity is also added to all your bills when you eat at the resort and anywhere. The liquor is cheap! It was a wonderul trip. Even if you are awaken by housekeeping, you can take a nap at the pool and/or beach. You can walk across the street and buy bottled water for $2.00 and bottled beer for $2.75. People were always bringing in their own food and drinks. There is a local market about 5 minutes from the hotel and there is a Dunkin Donuts across the strees, McDonalds and some other local places. There is also a Dominos around the corner and a Subway and there is a Hard Rock Cafe. Have fun on your vacation and you will be glad that you picked this hotel!"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of June 2004