Good
( 1932 reviews)
Good

A brilliant time for 7 families!

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We travelled with six other families -- our dear friends -- this past Nov 03. Each couple had two children. Kids were between 6 and 16.
Everyone had an amazing time. The Radisson is a wonderful hotel -- not as 'luxurious' as I had imagined but wonderful and fairly upscale -- very caribbean with west indian furniture, shutters, etc.

Ramon at reservations, and his staff were amazing and accomodated our many requests. We stayed in a petite suite, but the deluxe rooms were spacious too. The beach and pool areas were far better than the Hyatt although the Hyatt is probably a bit 'fancier' in the common areas.
Their rooms aren't as nice.

Jolly Pirates and the ATV tour were absolute must-do's as is a visit to Mdme. Janettes (be advised, no airconditioning).

You have to make your own fun. Not much to do for the 16 year old. We very much want to go back again because the place and the people were amazing. Hard to believe all the reviews re. 'ONE HAPPY ISLAND' but its true...we experienced it."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of March 2004

6 days of pure happiness

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My daughter and I spent 6 days at the Radisson from 3/14-3/19. Being an avid Tripadvisor junkie, I scoured all the reviews of all the Aruba hotels before booking the Radisson. We had always stayed at the Hyatt in the past - and enjoyed it - but everything I read seemed to point us to the Radisson this year. We enjoyed every minute of our stay. I do believe you get what you pay for and we paid the premium to stay on the concierge floor. Our room was lovely with a terrific view of the beach and we enjoyed the extra attention and personal treatment and privileges received as a concierge guest. Mathilda (the concierge) is quite a character and definitely makes you feel happy that you've chosen to pay all that extra money! We ate at a different hotel each day for lunch. We felt the Wyndam was a wind tunnel somewhat lacking in character (the wind blew my drink off the table - and no one cared) with a different (lower) level of attention. The Marriott appeared way too impersonal and the Hyatt MUCH too crowded. The beach at the Radisson is wide and spacious. We never had a problem getting a palapa - even arriving at 10 some mornings - and towels were plentiful and always available. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous and well taken care of. The pool area never seemed crowded although I must admit we spent every day at the beach. Nothing is perfect and negative people will always find fault. I laughed at the person who complained about the lack of privacy the shutter doors on the bathrooms allowed. The bathrooms are not located near the bedrooms so what did it matter if the doors did not shut completely. Attitude is a key issue. I believe if you are polite and pleasant, you are treated the same way. Check-in was flawless and quick. We were on the beach a mere hour after our plane landed at the airport. Every worker we encountered was friendly and helpful. Yes, food and drinks are expensive. Aruba is an expensive island. You do pay a premium for being on such a safe, clean island where you can walk from hotels to shops and restaurants without being the least bit afraid. If you are looking for a bargain, I don't think you will find it here. If you are anticipating wonderful weather, gorgeous beaches, great restaurants, lovely hotels - this is the place.
We hope to return next year (if not before) and will definitely stay on the concierge level of the Radisson again."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of March 2004

Some issues at the Radisson

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"Just returned from 9 days at the Radisson Aruba and I am so glad we read the report on trip advisor before we went. The number one complaint on this website was people not getting the rooms they paid for and we were no exception. We even called to confirm before we left that we were getting a deluxe ocean view w/ a king but when we arrived, we got a crappy, shabby room w/ double beds and a partial view and were told they were sold out so this was all we could get. After speaking to a manger, we moved rooms the next day and they gave us a discount on the first night. The concierge service was awful. Twice, we made dinner reservations through the concierge and never got a confirmation- after following up, we found out that both times, the restaraunts were booked but the concierge didn't bother to call us and let us know. Also, the grounds are beautiful (probably the best in the high rise area) and the beaches are nice but CROWDED. We had to get in line by 8:30AM to get a cabana every morning or else they were all rented out. Also, drinks and food are very expensive everywhere on the island, but at the Radisson, we couldn't get lunch for two for under $40. Overall, I don't think we would stay at the Radisson Aruba again unless we got the deal of a lifetime."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of March 2004

Amazing

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Radisson in Aruba in March 2004. Awesome resort, a bit pricie but you get what you pay for. No complaints, food was great, beach was great, temperature was great, and the resort was fantastic!"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of March 2004

Beautiful beach and Resort

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My wife and I just returned from the Raddison in Aruba. We were there the 1st week of March 2004. We are a couple in our 40's and have traveled thru much of the Carribean. This was our 1st time to Aruba. We are "beach bums" and this place was beautiful. The beach was super clean ,wide, with white sand and beautiful, clear water.The resort was 1st class.The grounds were very lush and tropical. The pools were beautiful as well. What we liked the most about this resort was that it did not feel crowded.(like the Hyatt Regency) As far as the service it was impeccable! Very friendly people that seemed to really care to make you happy and comfortable.The food was good, not great."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of March 2004

Had a great time!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My husband and I just spent a wonderful week at the Radisson in Aruba.
After reading several trip advisor reviews both good and bad we wanted to see for ourselves. We had a very good experience, in part by the fact that we paid a little extra for a deluxe ocean view room. Although we didn't really spend so much time in our room, it was nice to come back at the end of the day and enjoy the scenery from our balcony. The garden view rooms that we saw seemed very small and very dark due to the fact that they were shaded by the numerous palm trees. I could see why some of the trip advisor users would complain about that. I could also see why people complained about the hot tubs. They really were in an alley surrounded by a chain link fence..very unappealing. Not sure why the hotel even bothered putting them in. Aside from those two criticisms, the hotel really was beatiful and the staff was extremely friendly. The concierge was especially helpful and patient with us. The restaurants on the island are excellent. We did not have one bad meal the entire time. Some favorite restaurants...Reina del Mar in the Hyatt & the Sunset Grill in the Radisson. Our absolute favorite place to eat and probably the highlight of our trip was the Azul(sp?) restaurant in the Wyndham. We ate on the beach during sunset. It was probably the most romantic meal I have ever had. Another fun thing to do is the Kuku Kunuku party bus. Doesn't matter if you are young or old..this was a must! The bus takes you to a sunset toast at the light house followed by a nice dinner and bar-hopping the rest of the night. Go on a Thursday..that seems to be the big night out there. We rented a jeep and explored the other side of the islnad which was also fun. The beach at the Radisson is perhaps the nicest and we never had trouble finding a spot to tan ourselves. I would definitely go back and I think that it's definitely worth it to pay a little extra for a room with a view."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of March 2004

Loved the Radisson!!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My husband and I spent eight wonderful days at the Radisson for our honeymoon. It was the perfect honeymoon and the best vacation I have taken!! The beach is gorgeous and there is plenty of room -not at like some of the other beaches. The staff was helpful and polite but not overbearing. The grounds are lush and clean and our room was beautiful - marble bathrooms, huge four poster bed and a wonderful view of the ocean!!! I would recommend getting the breakfast plan, the food is wonderful and it was a great way to start each day!! We walked up and down the beach and were so happy with our choice. We were considering the Hyatt but not all of their rooms have balconies (the Rad does) and their pool area was very overcrowded and crammed with little kids.
Reading some of the negative comments, I find it amazing that some people get SO upset about the most ridiculous things (like a hair dryer not functioning correctly??). It is a VACATION, you are supposed to relax and enjoy - nothing can be 100% perfect!! I'm sure people like this will never enjoy a vacation. I did a lot of research for this trip and had very high expectations and the Radisson met them all!!"

• Travel date: Fri 27th of February 2004

Wonderful time at the Radisson in Aruba

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"My wife and I spent a week at the Radisson in January of 2004. We were a little concerned after reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor.com but had a wonderful time. The hotel is situated in the middle of the high rise hotels (in Aruba that means about 8 stories). The grounds are wonderful and the staff is very friendly. The rooms are spacious and the maid service is great. The maid comes in the morning and again at night and gives you new towels along with turn down service. One of the main activities in Aruba is eating out. I usually try to avoid hotel restaurants, but we had our best meal of the trip at the Sunset Grille restaurant in the Hotel. My only complaint is that if you want a Palupa (a little umbrella with table made of palms to protect you from the sun) you need to get in line in the morning as some days they ?sell out?. We stayed on the Concierge floor which is the top floor of the hotel. It is more expensive but they provide you with a very nice continental breakfast, afternoon tea, and hors d'ouerves and more importantly, you get to meet and spend time with other couple which made the entire experience more enjoyable. The fitness center has some cardio machines (trotters, bikes and step machines) and some weights. The hotel has internet access in the basement but it was very very expensive and did not work most of the time I was there. A few blocks from the hotel is an internet caf? and a place to make phone calls. You can buy a card for $5.00 many places on the island and can call the states for about $.25 per minute. The scuba diving is ok on the island, but it is mostly a place to stay on the beach during the day and eat out at night. Many other guests we met at the hotel were very loyal to it, including one couple who were there for the 40th time (it was under different ownership during the course of their visits). We went in the Lobby of the Wyndham and it seemed like it could be located anywhere without the same feel as the Radisson and the beach and grounds were not as nice but it looked like a very nice hotel. However if (and probably when) we return to Aruba, we will certainly go to the Radisson. My wife and I are in our early 50?s. I think Aruba is more of an Island for couples. I do not think we would go there with our college age sons. There seemed to be very little night life for young singles. The hotel had a program for children and there were some at the hotel. I am fairly new at TripAdvisor.com and I found it interesting on the difference of opinion between some of the review. I think it is a combination of the price of the room and the effect a negative situation can have on you. Our room was not ready when we arrived at 4:00 PM but instead of letting it bother us, we changed our clothes and went to the beach. Almost every hotel has rooms that are less desirable and that is why not all rooms do not cost the same price in most hotels. I am sure I would not have been happy in a lower level room with a bad view in a noisy area, and that is why I paid more for a better room. Perhaps if someone is concerned about those things, they should stay at a lesser property and stay in an upper level oceanfront room and give up the beach, grounds and other amenities they get by staying at the Radisson."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of February 2004

Great resort

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"We returned from 12 nights in Aruba. 4 nights at the Hyatt and the remainder at the Radisson. We preferred the Radisson to the Hyatt. More personal service. We liked the turn down service. Since we scuba dive, we tend to take at least 3 showers a day. The evening turn down service was great, they empty the trash, turn down the bedding and replace towels. The zero entry pools are great. Just a nice resort with nice services."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of January 2004

HATED the Radisson in Aruba!!!!!!!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"My husband and I just got back from a week long trip with our 2 year old daughter a week ago (January 9-16, 2004). We stayed at the Radisson and could kick ourselves over and over. We hated this hotel so much, that it actually ruined our first visit to Aruba. I wish we had stayed at the Hyatt instead. The service was so poor, these people couldnt care less about your happiness. Our room was not located in the main building, but instead in a lower-rise right next to the Laguna restaurant. I felt like we were in a college dorm. It was a long dim hallway with doors in it. Nothing to look at. The rooms were nice and clean, but the housekeeping was terrible! They left dirty coffee pots, dirty spoons, napkins and cups, which were only cleaned when housekeeping felt like it. The bathroom sink was clogged, so everytime we brushed our teeth we had to wait 20 minutes for the water to go down. The hairdryer smelled like it was on fire and it kept shutting off automatically every 3 minutes. I called for a new hairdryer TWICE but it took them 2 days to finally deliver one. I called for the clogged sink once and it was never fixed in the seven days we were there (room 2112). They wouldn't let us use the minibar for personal items such as my 2 year old daughter's bottles, so they sent us a note and offered to give us a refrigerator for $10 a day. We requested it and two days later still had no refrigerator. Of course it was on the bill the day we checked out, along with a half dozen items from the minibar that we never used. They charged us for items that didnt even EXIST in the minibar...that was the best! They claim to have 24 hour room service but when I called at 4:30 in the morning on our first night to request a cup of milk for my daughter's bottle, there was no answer. Again at 5:30 I called and there was no answer. Finally, they picked up at 6am and by 6:30 they delivered the milk.

The pools were beautiful and probably the best pools on the island. The rock waterfalls were nice, but the rest of the grounds were not impressive. Not a lot of flowers, jut big ugly green bushes, and of course that's what we had a view of from our "Garden View" room. Dirt and bushes. Not impressive at all. The jacuzzis on the premises were an insult, located in an alley way, surrounded by dirt and a chain link fence. Not very tropical or inviting, to say the least. The breakfast buffet at Laguna was mediocre, and the 45 minute wait to get lunch at Gilligan's by the pool was ridiculous, not to mention we had 3 kids with us. That food was lame as well. The Sunset Grille, however, was phenomenal. The food, atmosphere and the service were outstanding, as if they had no relation to this pathetic hotel. We ate there twice.

I could go on and on about more things that went wrong, but I think you get the point. If anyone is trying to make a decision whether to stay at the Hyatt or the Radisson, dont even think twice...stay at the Hyatt. I heard the Wyndham isnt that great either, probably worse than the Radisson, but their Latin Show in the Cabaret is terrific.
Definitely worth seeing.

To say the least, I would never EVER stay at the Radisson in Aruba or in any other Radisson for that matter. I plan on writing a letter to their corporate headquarters to complain."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of January 2004