Good

We were married at the Cocos Hotel, we s...

Reviewed Tue 29th of July 2008

"We were married at the Cocos Hotel, we stayed in a premium cottage (Room 28) right at the top of the hill and our stay was fantastic!!

The staff go out of their way to help, the service is brilliant, the rooms spotless and the food amazing!!

Our wedding day was just perfect, the beach area was set up beautifully, the hairdresser arrived on time, the photographer (both arranged by the hotel) was brilliant and the day was one we will never forget for all the right reasons! That evening in the restaraunt our table was decorated with flowers and we enjoyed a beautiful meal over looking the sea as the sun set!

Overall, I think the whole holiday was fantastic value for money the only thing I'd say is go with a different tour company... Tropical Skies were useless, they could tell us very little about our wedding booking, we had to chase them up for written confirmation of bookings and seemed interested in nothing once we'd paid!!

• Travel date: Tue 29th of July 2008

We went on Honeymoon, and paid for a 'Pr...

Reviewed Tue 2nd of October 2007

"We went on Honeymoon, and paid for a 'Premium Cottage', which I thought would be at the top of the hill, but we were in cottage #6, about 1/2 way up. As this was side-on to the Jolly Harbour beach, this did not benefit from the 'sea breeze' and subsequently, the heat was stifling, the fans provided serving only to move the warm air about.

Also, be on time for all meals, there is very little flexibility once the allotted times have passed, unlike the hotel we moved to who were altogether more relaxed.

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of October 2007

I went with my boyfriend we had been loo...

Reviewed Fri 24th of March 2006

"I went with my boyfriend we had been looking forward to going for months the holiday cost £1.500 per person I thought it was a little expensive but once I got there it was worth every single penny.

I flew with virgin from Gatwick and when we were waiting to check in a lady looked at are tickets and she told us we were first class we did not have a clue so this started are holiday of with rush of excitement we got free champagne and the moves were great we were flying for eight hours but I slept half way through because the chairs were so comfy. When we got there it was very hot and we waited in immigration for about a hour which was horrible because we were very hot and we were in jeans.

Soon as we got the hotel witch was about half a hour from airport the room was very cool and the beach at the hotel was definitely the best around we did go on a good few beaches the water sports center was always open and on Saturdays and Wednesday there was jet skis which was brill. The hotel had 3 restaurants but there was only 2 open and it had a night club a bar a pool side bar which was very handy.

I advise anyone who goes to Antigua to go to this restaurant right by pineapple beach called mama pastas the food was fantastic there and all the locals were so friendly rose and Cecil were the owners she was Italian and he was Antiguan they cooked some amazing food there definitely go there. We went horse riding which was scary but good.

I really advise to go scuba diving it is amazing we sore 5 sting rays in one dive I went with some lady called Diane for my first time she looked after me really well and I was not scared at all she was a Canadian lady. I also went swimming with the sting rays it is a trip not to be missed. At the hotel the staff are ok a few were very quit but if u go up to Mary’s out house she gives away bbq food and bottle of beer.

The jewelry is superb in Antigua definitely go and have a look. Antigua is definitely great for wedding and I am definitely with out a doubt be going back next year with out fail. While flying back as I was checking in I soon realised that I was not first class but economy that is when reality sunk in ha ha.

The overall holiday was superb and if any one gets the great opportunity to go you have to go don’t miss this amazing island. Thank you for reading this review I promise you will love Antigua. Shelly x x x "

• Travel date: Fri 24th of March 2006

Antiguan getaway.

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"We have just returned from 14 days in the most idyllic spot - Cocos Antigua.
The views from the rooms and restaurant cannot be bettered. The sea really is that torquiose/aquamarine/azure colour that you see on picture postcards- almost unbelievable.
The staff cannot be more heplful and friendly.
The food is excellent and the drinks powerful !!
To sit on a white sand beach and to be served drinks on and off all day by Acaire is something special - as is his singing and dancing .
Rooms are rustic but it all adds to the charm- showering inside will never be the same again.
If you are looking for peace and quiet with a few enjoyable trips as extras then there is nowhere better to stay. A jeep safari with Elmo crowned it all - where ever we went the people all knew him and called out and waved.
We would love to go back - and hopefully will. Reluctant to leave but all good things must come to an end."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of December 2004

A Great place

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"My Wife and i have just returned from 14 fantastic days at coco`s. We had been reading all the reviews here before going so had an idea of what to expect.

We had non superior room 8 and had a lovely view straight down jolly beach, with a large bathroom with both indoor and outdoor showers, also this room is at the bottom of the hill and straight by the pool and beach!!

The staff are fantastic and have some great characters amongst them, Peter the star footballer who saves his energys for the football field, Cheryl who serves breakast and lunch and of course the main man Acaire. He will help out anyway he can and its from the heart, a great lad!! Also the unsung heros behind the scenes in the kitchen.

The food is great with so many choices and changing every day. One couple had been out fishing and the chef cooked a special meal for them with their own "catch of the day", what great service. The view from the restaurant is great, having breakfast overlooking that sea just sets you up for the day.

We visited St johns, first by Mr Bee`s taxi then we went by the local bus, a great way to travel and so cheap EC$11.00 (£2.00) for two return.

We met some great new friends and enjoyed our before and after dinner drinks, laughs and chats. Thank you for being great company that we will always remember!!

If you are looking for a great chill out holiday then Coco`s is it, we are
going back thats for sure. Coco`s, please never change!

Complaints: yes, it had to end!!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of December 2004

Coco's = Peace and Quiet

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"If you are looking for a relaxing holiday then Coco's is for you. We recently spent 11 nights here and to be honest it wasn't long enough, we absolutely loved Coco's. When we booked we opted for a superior room, we were allocated no. 7 which gave fantastic views of the caribbean sea and Monserrat in the distance. The food at Coco's is outstanding many different choices every night.

The staff at Coco's are very good especially Acarie and Tanisha they will look after you with drinks whilst you are around the pool or on the beach.

Regarding the bugs, ok we got a few bites which we expected, but to be honest I think that most resorts on the island had bugs, afterall this is the tropics. I don't think this is something that you should complain about!

If you are going to Coco's for the fabulous views I strongly recommend that you opt for a superior room, otherwise you could be dissappointed.

All in all we do not have a bad word to say about Coco's and we will definately return in the future, that is if we can get in!!!

Regarding Antigua it is a beautiful Island and Jolly Beach is gorgeous, whilst there we took the Eco Tour, Caribbean Helicopter over Monserrat, went to St John's for shopping and finally visited Shirley Heights on a Sunday evening all of these trips were all very worthwhile."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of November 2004

I'll have a Coco, please!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"It was just what we needed. Very small and intimate, friendly and the rooms were totally private. Ours (5) had a balcony on the side of a cliff with the waves breaking under us 24/7, and they made a symphony with the tree frogs and crickets at night!

Food was great, staff friendly and very helpful and because of the size we got to know many of the other guests. Felt like we were in the UK there were so many Brits.

Bring insect repelent and prepare to relax."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of November 2004

Paradise Found!

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"My husband & I have just returned from a fantastic week at CoCo's.
We loved the simply furnished bungalows & we had fantastic sunset views from Superior room 6. The stocked fridge in the room was a nice touch (I haven't seen that before in an all-in resort) & the mosquitoe coils were very good. We didn't have a big problem with mosquitoes & other bugs, maybe because we had a sea breeze & we kept the shutters closed.
The staff are all great especially the infamous Acaire who livened up the beach with his songs & made sure we always had a drink. One evening we met him by chance off the resort & even though he was with his friends, he still looked after us!! Peter was great behind the bar. You could try a 'Peter's Special' , but not to many if you want to get up early the next day!
Charmaine & Cheryl also very friendly.
The food - what can I say but terrific at all times.
There is a great feel to CoCo's. Most of the other guests were great fun, we made some good friends & had a lot of laughs.
On a final note, I'm not sure this web site is a good idea. As another reviewer said, we really should keep this little bit of paradise a secret!"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of November 2004

Chillin BLISS

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"Tracy - This one is for you and your tremendously friendly staff. THANKS for a chillin and blissful holiday.

Enjoyed my 50th Birthday celebrations there on the 11th Oct. I cannot imagine anywhere in the world being any better at providing that friendly personal touch - very memorable. Acuarie bringing the beer to my beach lounger with such a cheerie disposition is to be admired and appreciated, this guy is the happiest person I have ever experienced at work, sign him up for motivational consultancy, he makes you smile everyday.

Stayed in room 17 (superior room), views to die for, simple and all that is needed, this gives you that authentic taste of Caribbean life. Live with the bugs! This is the Tropics, what do you expect? The birdlife and lizards compensate more than adequately. Hey, if you ain't tried an outdoor shower, then be prepared for the romantic side of your partnership to flourish!!!!

Food - as good as anywhere in the world I have tried, the Lobster and Lobster Bisque I have never experienced better. Try the catch of the day for lunch, I had 8 different fish dishes during my 10 day stay.

Staff - well all great with no exception. If you think service is slow in the tropics, well try working in the kitchen in that heat for your delight, you would soon learn to take it slow, just chill and slow down in your life.

I sincerely hope this charming paradise of a hotel doesn't lose it's intimate and romantic feel.

As for the walk up the hill to my room, for those views and the keep fit benefits, I'll just keep quiet.

Anything needed to improve it, yes - could do with Cocos Hotel souvenier shirts or hats etc to take home.

Me, well I'm going back. I suggest we keep this a closely guarded secret between just us."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of October 2004

A good, but not perfect, hotel.

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My girlfriend and I went to Cocos for a week in Sept 04 and apart from a few reservations, a good time was had.

Beautiful views and lovely beaches made for a peaceful and relaxing visit. Staff were relatively friendly and efficient depending on what your tolerance is for occasionally dodgy service - some staff blatantly didn't want to be there and let it show a little too much. The food was about right in the morning, below average in the day (burgers etc) but better by the evening. Although, considering it was the Caribbean, there wasn't a great deal of either fish or seafood on the menus.

Rooms were very basic but for this type of holiday, all you needed. Outside showers take some getting used to but were a good idea considering how hot it was and we recommend to make sure you get a well positioned 'hut'. We had room 7 which was nice, lovely sunsets, but a few huts were so badly placed they wouldn't have been worth the stay altogether. A hammock was a nice touch on the balcony and would have been even nicer if ours hadn't had a big hole in it. The cicadas at night are noisier than we've ever experienced before and the mosquitoes are out in force come dusk (well, it is the caribbean), so be prepared for insect war.

7 nights was definitely enough for us but most guests (nearly all were honeymooners, so couples, be prepared for questions on why you aren't married) seemed to be there for 2 weeks.

It was good, but we think it could've been better."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of October 2004

Great Views

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Just returned from ten days at Cocos. We had a really relaxing, chilled out holiday - Yeah Man. We had Room 15, right at the top, the views were fantastic. As you woke each morning you were surrounded by wrap-around views, all blue sky, torquoise sea and humming birds. The rooms were basic but fine. The food in the restaurant was really good, the atmosphere wonderfully romantic. The hotel has about 15 rooms so you get to know the other guests quickly. We all dined a deux and then socialized until late in the bar. The staff were all lovely, helpful, funny and Acarie, in a class of his own! Thanks to all at Cocos for a great holiday, we really chilled out. Karol & Russell"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of October 2004

Relax and enjoy a different experience

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"This is not the type of holiday we would normally take but as it was our 30th wedding anniversary we decided to do something different. Cocos is a truly remarkable place situated at one end of Jolly Bay. We decided to book a superior cottage and after a very pleasant flight with VA we arrived to a cool drink and very helpful staff. Our room was number 16 and had the most fantastic views towards Monserrat and the sea, each night and morning we just sat on the balcony and took it all in. Despite a good walk up and down the hill each day we looked forward to the beach, breakfast, lunch or dinner all served by very friendly staff, a special word must be said about young Acaure who you must see and hear to believe, this young guy is happy about everything and it rubs off on everyone!
Remember that you are in the tropics and it gets hot, they have mosquitoes and sandflies and a nightly chorous of Tree frogs etc etc but this is what makes it so special.
If you want a relaxing holiday and the the chance to make some friends (there are only 36 of you) I doubt you would be dissapointed."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of October 2004