This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near Anantara Si Kao Resort

Would not return

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"1. the hotel is very nice
2. the manager is very nice and personable
3. there is no swimmable beach
4. the beach club had no toilets, towels or showers available for use
5. we were overcharged for things and then made to feel bad by staff when questioned
6. the new years band was beyond bad
7. new years dinner and festivities were great
8. there was always a wait for pool towels
9. this is a place for honeymooners - there isnt much to do.
10. need more towels, fitness classes, pool floats, and to replace the band for New Years."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of January 2008

Relaxing Stay

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Quiet location - nice quiet beach with lovely views around. Lovely room and bathroom, fantastic bed / bedding. Friendly efficient staff who resolved an issue with us regarding a trip to our satisfaction. Food very good - large portions but not a great deal of choice. Beach bar a lovely spot for a Sundowner. The Beach Club on Koh Kradan is no longer open although the hotel can arrange transport to the Island."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of January 2008

Good Value for Money

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"My partner and I stayed at the Amari Trang hotel for 10 nights over Christmas and New Year so I think we got a pretty good understanding what the hotel was like and how it was run. In a nutshell the hotels rates offer excellent value for money but be warned that the prices for food and beverage are up to 10 times what you pay for it in the rest of Thailand and as there is nowhere else to go as the hotel is the only option.

We had a Deluxe room on the 3rd floor over looking the pool. The hotel markets its self on most of the rooms having sea view but this is not the case as the sea view is obscured by pine trees. The room was large and clean but we found the bed to be extremely firm-too firm in our opinion. If you are thinking of staying here for anything longer than 3 nights it would be good to bear in mind that the hotel is very isolated which is lovely in one respect but limits you on your eating and drinking options. The food at the hotel is excellent but very expensive and with the average dinner cost of dinner with one bottle of wine at 3700BHT or 60GBP we thought we had no other choice and were being ripped off because of it. A large Singa beer 4GBP and local drinking water was 1.50 GBP so no cheaper than the UK or even more expensive in some cases we thought.

All of the staff at the hotel were really lovely and very smiley-communication was not easy though with only a handful speaking any English. As it was Christmas the hotel was full most of the time we were there and the staff were struggling to give a decent level of service in some parts of the hotel. This was particularly true in Aqua and it was clear that the staff had only received basic training but everything was served with a giggle and while we could see the funny side it was clear that some of the guests were frustrated by even basic requests.

The hotel beach is very disappointing mainly because of the rubbish all along it. If I were the general manager I would have an “Eco Hour” each day where guests and staff would give an hour to clean up the environment. I know that we would have gladly helped and I’m sure other guests would have helped too.

The highlight of our stay was to the island of Koh Kradan where the hotel has its own private beach club which is really lovely (transfer cost 10 GBP per person). The snorkeling, coral and fish were amazing so remember to take some bread to feed the fish. The island is very unspoilt and is a very good reason to stay at the Amari hotel in its self. We also hired a car for a day but the surrounding area is pretty much same same but different.

If you want peace and quiet don’t come over Christmas there were too many children running about the place. The hotels annual occupancy rate is at 25% so if you come outside of this time I think you’ll have the place pretty much to yourself.

The hotel lets its self down in some ways for example the pool water was cloudy and we both thought keep your mouth out of the water or we may be ill-we weren’t but pool water should be clear and that is a bad sign.

My advise is to stay at the hotel but don’t stay too long as we felt a little confined there-it isn’t Guantanamo Bay or anything but there is no local taxi service and the local restaurants may not be to everyone’s cup of tea.

If you don’t want to pay the hotels rip off prices for drink the ‘dirty chicken lady’ is just over the road from the hotel and charges local prices for everything.

The hotel is rated 4* plus by Kuoni and we would agree with this having moved on to Le Meridian in Khao Lak we’ve really noticed the difference but of course it is more expensive so a bit of swings and roundabouts but this one does look and feel more 5*.

Overall I would give 4 our of 5 as I think the food and beverage were over priced and consequently the feel good factor was missing."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of January 2008

The most wonderful trip I ever hav

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"I used to see the pictures of Amari Trang and invariably dream of staying there. I hav a chance to stay at Amari Trang during New year and all I can say is my stay with my son over there is unforgettable.
The resort is very beautiful. The decoration is excellent. My room is beach front and can see the view of Pak meng. The service from there is superb. They give me the excellent service. All serve with smile and sincerity. The gala dinner is excellent and the show is great.
If you are interested in staying in the great view hotel, I would like to recommend Amari Trang. Great View, Great food, and great service.
Lastly , I would like to thank you Mr.Philips for your best care. I am considerably happy for my stay there."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of January 2008

Great hotel

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"We had an awesome time at this hotel. The design of the place is really nice. Rooms overlooking the water with the dramatic steep islands, nice pool and beach area, a few different restauants and the spa. The spa is like entering a different world. Although not super cheap, I would highly recommend having a treatment there as it is truly 5 star.

The staff are really friendly and go that extra way to make you comfortable. A nice touch is that you get a cold litte towlette drenched in flower water whenever you lie down in a sun chair or sit down in the restaurant. The pool boys also bring you fresh fruit free of charge. Nice.

As mentioned by previous travelers the beach by the hotel isn't great for swimming. I's really nice to lie on though with comfy sun chairs and umbrellas because the view is great.

The hotel arranges slightly overpriced day trips to a nearby island where the water is great.

You stay at the hotel as the restaurants nearby aren't by far as nice and you have get picked up by car to get there. The food at the hotel is great and the hygiene appears to be very good. I ate lettuce and things you aren't supposed to and didn't get sick.

The hotel manager is also very nice and genuinly interested in how you like your stay. That's the way to go :)

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking after seclusion and pampering."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of January 2008

Amari Trang-quility - Exceptional Honeymoon

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I have been very grateful to all reviews l read on Trip Advisor before our holidays and thought I should share my recent experience with other travellers. I have never written any reviews in the past but after our recent trip to Amari Trang I found myself compelled to comment on our exceptional experience in this resort.

We were on our honeymoon and initially booked for 8 nights in Le Meridien Khao Lak. When we arrived at Le Meridien we were prompted by “we are very busy and the hotel is fully booked out”. We had booked the hotel in December 2006 for our honeymoon in April 2007….. I wonder whether this has anything to do with the TA reported Le Meridien website error, where prices have been quoted in Ugandan Shillings rather than in US$ ? The hotel did look packed, crowded and noisy. We were brought to our room which was on the ground floor, twin beds, and looking on an alley way (no privacy!). We had requested high floor, secluded area of the resort and as we were on our honeymoon it was not unreasonable to expect a double bed! None of our criteria were met and when we complained to the Front Office Manager at the Meridien he was most unhelpful, indifferent, & unconcerned with the situation. This was our 5th trip to Thailand and never were we ever greeted in that manner ever before, even when you go to a mini-mart or local restaurant the greetings you received are warmer …. We were shocked and needless to say very disappointed. My husband & I then decided we were not prepared to spend time/money in Le Meridien and nor were we willing to accept this appalling level of service and poor management. It was then time to re-organise ourselves.

We had previously stayed in Amari Trang 2 years earlier and loved the resort. We phoned Amari Trang who obviously were unaware of our intention to stay with them for 8 nights at such short notice. The Front desk staff at Amari proficiently & efficiently confirmed availability on high floor, secluded area and king size beds. Within a 10 minute phone call we were sorted. So we decided to leave Le Meridien Khao Lak after 1 hour of our initial arrival and then headed down to Trang. We got a taxi from Khao Lak to Trang and 4.5 hours later we arrived there. We arrived in Trang at 11.00pm and we were immediately warmly greeted by name and brought to our room, which met and exceeded all our expectations. They even apologised that they could not give us the same Room 309 that we had stayed in 2 years previously!

The room was lovely, spacious, airy, and the décor was modern & contemporary. I would not be surprised if the rooms were designed by a woman as there is a very feminine feel/note in the outlay/design of the room. All the right amenities, facilities were there and in the right/convenient place (ie: ceiling fans on the balcony and above bed in bedroom, day bed on balcony, curtains fitted within side of window which gave a lovely neat finish and panoramic views of outside, magnifying mirror in the bathroom, ample lighting, front/side/full length mirrors, sliding doors, plenty of room to store clothes/cases/shoes/belongings …etc …). It was just great.

The room service ladies were amazing, always friendly and smiley and very efficient. The Staff altogether were ALL very professional, amazingly friendly and so helpful. They made our stay so special and the level of service we received was equal to none. The service was always very efficient & attentive and yet again totally unobtrusive. The Manager, the Assistant Manager & the Executive Chef were present at all times and most helpful. Many Congratulations indeed for such a successful and well-ran establishment.

The location of the hotel is quiet and secluded on an amazing pristine beach. The hotel also has a beach house at Koh Kradan, a nearby island, which is a nice option.
On top of this, a trip can be arranged to the Emerald Cave which is only 20 minutes away by boat. Well worth it!

There are a few beach restaurants nearby and the hotel reception will organise the restaurants to come & pick you up at a desired time and will bring you back once you are finished. Alternatively, we decided to hire 2 mountain bikes with the hotel, which was free of charge. Yok Yor and Lay Trang were both very good restaurants with Yok Yor being our favourite.

The Hotel food was amazing, very reasonably priced and the presentation & originality of the dishes were excellent. The buffet breakfast was brilliant with ample choice. The quality and the variety of dishes were excellent. They even provided at breakfast "Nutella" for the French (me) and "Marmite" for the English (my husband)!

We were on our Honeymoon and the hotel staff did make us feel so special. The bed was decorated with 2 hearts made with rose petals, the bath/sink were filled with water and rose petals. We also received a chocolate cake, flowers, fruits, newspapers daily. It was just amazing.

The layout of the hotel is very serene and peaceful with an architecture involving water is most common areas. A very clear and refreshing concept indeed.

I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a remote, tranquil, quality, luxurious sunny beach gate away in beautiful surroundings with amazing people. I now feel so refreshed and look forward so much to going back one day.

Altogether, my husband & I absolutely LOVED the Amari Trang and will definitely return to enjoy this peaceful gem in paradise. I have actually come up with a new slogan for the resort “Amari Trang-quility”.

Agnes & Robert."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of April 2007

Fabulous stay - someone book me in again!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Have recently, so recent my tan hasn't faded, come back from a weeks stay at the Amari Trang Beach Resort. Possibly one of the best "beach" stays we've had.

We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms and they are really well put together. Everything is fresh and new, great bathroom with separate bath and shower which has a really good head and pressure to make the most of it. I can't think of a single thing in the room that I would change - ah except the bed. It was as hard as a rock but a request for a change of mattress was obliged and a foam topper added. Shame it was just as hard as the mattress! Maybe I'm just too attached to my orthopedic mattress.

We only ate at Crabbs and Co and found the food very good and not too outrageously priced. Breakfast each morning was fantastic with a variety that ranged from English (bacon/eggs etc), fresh fruit, Continental with a score of pastries (all very tasty) breads and spreads to the hot Asian and some other options. I'd be suprised if you couldn't find something you liked and the selection changes each day. Watch out for the blueberry pancakes. It's a good idea to pay for the breakfast as there isn't much outside of the hotel. There are a couple of restaurants outside that if you ask the front desk will call them and they will pick you up and drop you back. Yok Yur is one, we didn't try the other as this was so good and lovely to sit on the beach and watch the sun set. Good prices as well. There is also a small convenience shop that you can pick up your drinks to take back to the hotel.

The hotel puts on a bunch of activities each day some are free some aren't. Pilates, yoga, thai boxing, sailing all sorts of stuff and they will organise activities for you outside of the hotel. Even the internet access here is free - how great is that?! One of the staff even came with us elephant trekking just to make sure we were ok. The pool is huge but the one niggle is that it gets very warm by mid afternoon so isn't as refreshing as it could be. I couldn't quite rouse myself enough to use the gym but if you wanted a full workout there is enough stuff in there (all new) to keep you going. I preferred the spa and the only downside was that I didn't make enough use of it. It's beautiful and the staff are very good, it's not cheap but I've so often been disappointed by the cheaper ones I've been to in Thailand that this was truly worth it.

The only thing I would say is that you have to pay to get to the "Beach House" which given that the beach at the resort is not suitable to swim at, very shallow and not very nice water although the beach itself is lovely, means that if you want to snorkel or swim you've got a 45 minute boat ride and a 400? baht pp bill.

The hotel was very quiet and at times I'd say there were probably 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 staff per guest. Makes for great service. Trang itself is a good hour away so I'd suggest this place if you're wanting a great chill out holiday but given the activities you'd have to be pretty dull not to find something to keep you amused. They provided nice touches like outdoor movies with popcorn, cold towels and watermelon by the pool.

We booked through the Amari website which we found to be the best deal, flights from Bangkok to Trang (which is closer than going to Krabi and cheap as chips) through Nok Air and took a taxi out to the hotel with Norm 089 872 0068 for 1000 baht. Be warned there are limited taxis at the airport although you could arrange a pickup through the hotel, it's just more expensive."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of March 2007

lovely

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"After being 7 days at koh ngai we went to the amari trang beach to have a bit more of facilities and also get few spa treatments for 4 days.
The hotel is located right on the beach.. their beach is not very nice as its full of stones and shells (the water is not very clear) but the hotel has got a private beach the "beach club" that takes you every morning at 10 and back to the hotel at 5 (you need to pay 400 bath per person in the thai boat or 1200bath for the speed boat) Our room was fantastic, great furniture super confi bed small terrace to watch the sun set. This hotel have 4 restaurants and the best was the "aqua" italian restaurant the quality of food here was terrific. I live in Italy and my fiance is Italian so we know about Italian food this was PERFECT the service also was really nice we had dinner here 3 nights maybe one of the best restaurants i've ever eat!! the spa was also very nice worth to give it a try...
The only thing that bothered us a bit was at the time of the check out they make the bill with their own rate exchange so if the peninsula was giving us 37,5 the amari was giving us 32!!! making our bill go a lot higher we talked to the manager and we sorted it out.. watch out on this.. but at the end we had a lovely stay at the amari"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of March 2007

Good Hotel, Lovely area - a little too quiet?

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Overall it is difficult to fault the actual hotel. It is clean, tidy has good food, lovely views, long secluded beaches and friendly staff with good service and good management. We arrived after Easter after staying for 7 nights at the Central Krabi Bay Resort and found all the above but it is isolated and very very quiet (particularly if the hotel only had 60 or so guests), as a result we wished we had satyed 10 nights in Krabi and 5 here (rather than 8 - we are however glad we visited the hotel).

As you can see from the phots the hotel is where a river meets the sea. As a result of this the sea is very shallow and if you want to swim in the sea will have to go out a distance. The views are excellent as you can see.

The rooms in the hotel are good. We ate in the hotel every night and went to all the restaurants and the food was good in all of them and very reasonably priced. The foreign wine is expensive and we tried a Thai white which was surpirsingly good and a lot cheaper.

My wife tells me that the spa was good and good value and the gym had enough machines to have a good workout.

The tailor here is one of ther better ones I have come across in Thailand and had some good suits and trousers made.

We went out on the bikes a few times. The first time with a guide. Turned right out of the hotel and went to the protected park 3/4 miles away. As you can see from the photos the shoreline is beautiful with absolutely no-one on it. On the way back we went via a Thai village. Another time we turned left out of the hotel and cycled for 20 minutes or so to the pier where there are a couple of restaurants which the hotel will arrange transport to if you are interested.

We also went for a kayak tour of the Mangrove swamp behind the hotel. Enjoyed it but had to duck underneath a couple of snakes in the branches above!

We also went for a trip to their Beach House on Koh Kradan which is well worth doing (see photo). The sea here was lovely for swimming and there is some excellent snorkelling amongst the corals to be done. As part of the motor boat trip you are also taken to a beach which to get to you have to swim through a cave to come out on an amazing sandy beach (basically a collapsed cavern has created a beach which is 360 degree surrounded by steep cliff).

Overall it is worth a visit to see another part of the Thai coast but would not recommend an extended stay here due to the remoteness and quietness."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of February 2007

Good Hotel

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Having stayed at with Amari Hotels before, my wife and I had no worries booking a 7 night stay at the Amari Trang Hotel. Booking flights and accommodation via Thomson Holidays.

Phillip, the Swiss Resident Manager does his job well, with a relaxed efficiency as do all the staff, this is a trade mark of the hotel group. I know he reads Tripadvisor reports, so I must say hello and thank you to him; it was my wife’s birthday during our stay, he arranged a room upgrade, also sending her a large bunch of flowers.

The hotel is kept spotless, bed linen changed every day, towels twice a day. The pool area is very well laid out. The food is good but expensive; this is perhaps because the hotel is very isolated, the small village a 5minute drive away is not a typical holiday type place. The hotel only recommends 2 restaurants in the village; these are not tourist type places with fairy lights but basic places to eat. No other hotels around. In fact there is little outside the hotel.

Much has been said about the beach at Trang brochures always say the “beautiful white sand beach” in fact the beach is very course to walk on as it is made up of mainly shells which have not been broken down. We use to wear shoes as not to risk cutting our feet. But if you like miles of deserted coastline then this is the place.
When the tide goes out it really does go a long way. There is a mangrove to the side of the hotel, when the tide changes it brings the dirty water out with it, so the water along the coast line looks dirty and not very inviting.

The hotel has a day centre on Koh Kradan a small Island reached by the hotel long boat about 40 minutes away. They have beds on the beach which has powdery white sand, and a restaurant.
Another thank you to Phusit the activities Manager and Me the young man who took us in the boat across to Kradan. Both of whom were genuinely helpful.

The hotel is very good but we feel that any more than 5 days here and this become repetitive. Perhaps in time with a little more development a longer stay would be o/k."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of February 2007

My husband and I stayed at The Amari Tra...

Reviewed Mon 12th of June 2006

"My husband and I stayed at The Amari Trang for the Christmas and New Year period. The hotel was more than we could have asked for, from the moment we stepped into the reception on arrival to checking out 2 weeks later, the service was fantastic. I have stayed in many hotels in the far east and this one was one of the best by far.

There were 4 restaurants to choose from in the evening, all had different menus, but fantastic service in all. There were also some local restaurants a short taxi ride away that sold fantastic food (similar to Chinese style), but don’t expect fantastic facilities (ie the toilets are Thai style).

We also spent a few nights in a local bar (looked more like a shack) which was walking distance from the hotel.

The food etc at the hotel was a little expensive for a Thailand hotel but not compared to the prices you pay in the UK (check out their website, its lists all menus and prices).

The rooms in the hotel were decorated to a high standard and the views were spectacular from the 3rd floor.

Staff were extremely helpful and always polite, which is part of the Thai lifestyle.

We took a couple of boat trips out snorkeling which is well worth the money.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. We had a two weeks stay at this hotel during our 4 week honeymoon and we could have easily stayed their longer."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006