better late than never

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We stayed at Rocky's in January 2005 as the last stop on our honeymoon and we wish we had just cut out the other trips and gone straight there !

This hotel really is wonderful. I travel extensively for work and have stayed at too many 5 star + hotels to recall and this is really something special. We were actually planning to stay at Tongsi Bay but at the last minute changed our minds and decided to go for Rocky's and I am so glad we did. We actually travelled up to Tongsi for the day just to check it out and yes it is beautiful but it has the standard five star coldness that all of the big hotels have.

Rocky's has the most wonderful setting nestling into the rock at the beach front next to two beaches. In the evening when the tide comes in, the water laps against the rocks and sitting in the candle lit restaurant or bar it is a truely beautiful setting.

We ate in a few of the reatuarants in town but none of them matched the quality of the food at Rocky's. The variety and quality was excellent everything from the best thai food to pizza or burger and chips! I would highly recommend taking the option of the american breakfast as this was very good. Much better than the continental. On our final evening we booked the private dinner for 2 in the little massage pavillion on the beach. The food was spectacular and the staff lavished attention on us all night. Very romantic !

Every drink served from the bar whether it be a water or cocktails was adorned with orchids which was a nice touch. In fact, there where orchids everywhere, in the bathroom, strewn on the beds each night etc etc

The rooms are beautifully decorated and have a fridge and CD player which is great. I loved that fact that there was no TV -big plus point. The bathrooms are beautiful and very stylish.

Luke and Eric where fantastic at organising trips and taxis etc. One thing not to be missed is a trip to Tamarind Springs just down the road. The setting for the massage is just amazing higly recommended.

The only very slight thing I could add to improve this resort is that it would be good if the bar staff came around the pool area to take drink orders during the day. This would be nice but I guess it did me the power of good to get my butt off the sunbed and walk over to the bar

I believe a spa has or will be added and this would be a wonderful addition.

We will most certainly return, just not soon enough for my liking!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of February 2007

Great Place to Stay in Koh Samui

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Just returned from our holiday at The Rocky Resort in Koh Samui. The Rocky Resort is truly an oasis in Koh Samui. The Rooms are spectacular, just like the web picture. Everyone is very helpful and friendly we had a wonderful time. Thank you.

Plus: very clean, helpful and friendly staff, wonderful rooms, especially the beach front, lovely beach albeit small.

Negative: food good but pricey could do with a bit more choice, a bit more shade around the lower pool would have been helpful."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of February 2007

Reminiscing A Year Later

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I would think that the fact that my wife and I talk about our stay at The Rocky Resort in Koh Samui a year later with positive memories is an accolade to this property. We just returned from an annual trip to Singapore (this time to Kuala Lumpur, Siem Reap & Patong Beach) and we both agree our time at The Rock was what globe trekkers hope to experience. There are no villas at the end of piers over aqua marine waters, there are no waterslides, waterfalls or (best of all) malls. There is a private bay of oceanfront water, tree tipped points on left and right, the warmest of greetings, and a guy who carries your baggage up to your room, there's the pool, the pool, (my fave vacation pic of my feet), our room had a view of some trees and the sea (Room #3 something --- the 1st room to the left of the staircase), and they will arrange a ride to the center of activity that is very near. Why stay there when you can stay here? If we ever come to a point where we have run out of places on this planet to visit anew, and have to start over, The Rocky Resort on Koh Samui is on the first places we will revisit! .... so far!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of January 2007

Marvelous Place to get away to. I will cherish the memories.

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed here for a little over a week in 2004. We were delayed arriving due to flights and rang the resort in transit to let them know. The staff and manager could not have been more understanding and helpful. On arriving we were recieved with a most wonderful welcome from Luke and staff.
We had two strokes of luck while there. 1, we were there over the Thai new year, and 2, It was our wedding aniversary while there.
New year was like being with your familly only they have all gone nuts in a great way. Everyone got soaked and ended up in the pool, staff, owners, guests.. everyone. Followed that evening with a great dinner and party plus fireworks.
For our aniversary we had a private dinner on the pagoda. We were treated like royalty. The level of cuisine was extraordinary that night as it was for all the nights we stayed there.
At the time we stayed, the resort was at the begining of becoming something even better. Lots of plans from talking with the owners. They were open and honest and were interested to hear feedback in the same manner. I believe the resort is now a lot different structurally from the time we were there. Friends of ours stayed and told us that the place is now better than ever before. I can't wait to return some time."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of January 2007

Paradise on Koh Samui

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"If you are going to Koh Samui to be in the thick of the "tourist" type holiday then Rocky's Resort is not for you. However if you are looking for that little piece of Paradise then you will find it at Rocky's. From the moment you drive off the slightly frenetic ring road and enter Rocky's you will think you have entered another world. There is an air of tranquility about this amazing resort (which is more of a retreat). The staff are just wonderful and we were delighted to find that Luke a fellow Aussie looked after us as though we were friends. The location is right on the beach and although the beach may not be the best beach on the island for swimming it is spotlessly clean and peaceful. The rooms were wonderful 3 years ago and have since then all been given an air of luxury with some amazing looking renovations and additions. The restaurant is perched on the rocks right on the beach and the meals are a gourmet delight served by smiling young folk who make every meal a special event. There is a massage salsa right on the beach and 2 swimming pools. The first is again right on the beach and the 2nd is set amidst tropical gardens. The people there will organize loads of soft adventure tours, spa treatments, jeep hire etc. It all just "happens". I am just completing our booking for 2008 as although we have travelled all over Europe in the last 3 years, Rocky's is the one place we had to return to"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of January 2007

Wonderful Experience

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My family and I just came back from 10 days at Rocky Resort and were very impressed. We have stayed at Poppies previously and that experience was also wonderful, however Rocky offered us more privacy and tranquility being about 20 minutes from the action of Chaweng. When we felt we needed a little more of the typical tourist experience we hopped into one of the plentiful cabs or tuk tuks costing about $5-$8 US for a family of 4. The rooms were clean and roomy, the food was fresh and offered both thai and continental choices. Our package included breakfast which had plenty of variety - hot and cold. There are two pools - one by the beach where people tend to congregate and another tucked away in the grounds which is typically deserted. Whether you want company or solitude there are options. The massages are wonderful and there never seemed to be a problem booking something at the last minute. If you are forced to bring work with you then computer / internet access is no problem. Within 5 minutes of Rocky there are a couple of wonderful local retaurants where a family of four can eat plenty of fresh sea food and down to earth thai food for well under $30. If you want something more upscale then you are 10 minutes from one of the best restaurants on Samui - The Cliff. The one and only downside to Rocky is that the beach is small, making any kind of activity rather difficult. On the other hand, larger more public beaches are 10 minutes away so Rocky offers the best of all world's and we'll definitely stay there again should we have the opportunity to visit Samui."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of January 2007

The Honeymooners meeting point ?

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"We stayed at Rocky with my wife and my son (5) during 6 days end October 2006. The 1st impression when we have visited the resort was like "Whaoo !It's wonderful". After staying almost 1 week, I can give my real impressions, not just the 1st sight.

We booked a beach front suite, which was really nice: very beautiful and tasteful decoration, large bathroom, and with regards to the "beach front", it's not possible to do more. Literally 10 meters from the sea.

The "beach front" quarter is quite far from the main road and though very quite. You can only ear the sound of waves hurting rocks in front of the room.

From a swimming point of view, eh resort comes with 2 swimming pools, garden pool and the beach pool. There are 2 private beaches, quite small, but big enough as the resort has only 30 rooms.

The bar and restaurant are located on top of a rock, just next to the sea. Restaurant is as well very nice looking. Breakfast is what you can expect from any resort in that price range. The restaurant is more 'elaborated' and you certainly have to pay for the location as well as what's in you plate.

Now it's drawback turn. The main one is certainly the location. If you don't plan to get there to do only beach-pool-bar-restaurant-room-beach-.... it's not for you unless you rent a car during your stay. The resort is quite far from the main dining and touristic area.
The second thing is dislike is the level of service. Nothing really important anyway. Just some small points which make the difference at this level of price.

Now you will think: but why this title ? Just because it seems to be the meeting point for honeymooners all around the world :)

The overall impression is very good anyway. A nice place to stay as soon as you are sure it will match what you are looking for.

Another important remark: Like everything in Thailand, prices are negotiable! As a matter of fact, we got about 35% discount + free breakfast after short negotiation."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of October 2006

Re: nice hotel but crappy location

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Overall the hotel was very nice with extremely attentive staff. The rooms were very nice, we stayed at one of the jr suite villas by the ocean. The decor and actual rooms were very nice with southeast Asian decor, the bathroom was lovely and spacious. Our overall comments were that the location of the resort is terribly inconvenient, we are not party people but we love a good beach, and the Rocky's beach as the name suggests has a lot of rocks and pebbles and is not the picturesque white sands and clear blue water. The best beaches are in Lamai and Chaweng. But to be frank if you had the same resort and decor in Chaweng beach it would cost more money, so you have to weigh whether you want to save some money, stay at a nice resort but have to trek by taxi, songtow or motorcycle to have the choice of restaurants, shopping, and lounging on a nice beach..."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of October 2006

I am left speechless...

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"My husband and I have been here twice for a holiday and it has been nothing but absolutely perfect. Anytime we want to relax and unwind, this is the place for us. We never tire of it. The staff are great, the food is delicious, the facilities are ideal and I could go on and on and on. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of October 2006

Noisey & Disappointing

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My husband,I and our 3 year old stayed here this summer in a delux villa. The villa backed on to one of the main roads in Koh Samui so the noise from traffic was more or less constant all day and all night. Demolition work had also just begun on some of the bungalows which we had been told on booking would not be happening till later in the month! The pool and beach area were therefore very noisey also. We were soooooo disappointed as we had dreamed of a quiet tropical getaway and it was anything but. Also, worth noting for families is the long trek uphill to the villas and most of the garden suites; particularly difficult to negotiate at night as lighting was poor and we felt like we were making our way primarily through a tropical jungle due to the dense vegatation in their so-called garden area. The beach is very small and quite gritty and our daughter cut her feet while playing on it.
Positives included friendly staff; but that almost goes without saying anywhere you go in Thailand. Also, the beachside massage area was wonderful as was the restuarant. Management did listen to our complaints but were slow to respond & finally offered a discount which we felt wasn't really enough for such a disappointing and noisey stay. (They were unable to move us to the quieter beachside suites due to being almost fully booked).
Please note: a 10 per cent service charge AND 7 per cent VAT charge will be added to your bill at the end of your stay and is applicable to your agreed rate, food and any services purchased. What you see is definitely not what you get!! This was a shock to us and the discount given did not cover this extra charge. **Avoid this resort - it's simply not worth the money.nor is it suitable for young families**"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

Hotels near Rocky's Boutique Resort

Stayed at Rocky's Boutique Resort? Share your insight.

Rocky's Boutique Resort is also called