Good

Poppies is an exclusive boutique hotel i...

Reviewed Tue 17th of April 2007

"Poppies is an exclusive boutique hotel in the resort of Chaweng beach.

With only 24 cottages it is, quite simply, a little piece of heaven.

The accommodation was superb, with plasma TV and DVD, living area and an outside bathroom with a sunken bath. Even the toiletries supplied by the hotel were first class, so much so that we bought some to bring home.

The pool was an ideal size for the resort and the beach always kept spotless.
The staff were very attentive, friendly and courteous at all times.

The restaurant is classed as one of the best on the island and certainly lives up to its reputation, but if it's cheaper food you want you have lots of choices on the beach or the main street.

This is the second time that we have been to Koh Samui and have vowed to return again next year to Poppies as it is quite simply the best hotel we have stayed at.

Credit to Michael and Sue (Mr and Mrs Poppies) who work tirelessly all day to ensure that you are having just the best time.

Loved it!"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2007

Our honeymoon paradise

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Poppies was out of this world, To walk in after a 24hr flight and to be given a personnal welcome from the managers wife and be given a much needed fruit juice and hot towel gave us a fantastic first impression. We where then helped to our cottage and shown arround which was lovely as the bed had been done with flowers to mark our honeymoon. The cottage was airy and quiet and felt cut off from the busy main street on the other side, the gardens that surrounded us where beautifully kept and the beach at the end of the walk way was lovely and quiet and blue ocean all around. We ate in the restaurant every morning for b/fast and what a b/fast it was it filled us up for the day and what surrounding to have it in looking across the beach and blue waters. We cannot fault any aspect of the resort it was all that we wished for and will hopefully one day return to enjoy it again, I just hope it stays the way it is. All the staff where lovely and helpfull and the thai massage was fantastic. many thanks for a wonderfull honeymoon."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of October 2006

Perfect R&R

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"We arrived after a few days in Bangkok, and having had a hectic year, in desperate need of some rest and relaxation. Poppies was perfect. Check in was warm and personal, the bungalow was clean, spacious and secluded.
We walked the length of the beach, and can honestly say that the area around Poppies is the nicest - and the best spot for swimming in the sea. Its location is also great in terms of being off the main drag of Chaweng - its close enough to walk into the centre, but far enough so you are not disturbed by it.
The staff clearly love their jobs, and were always on hand with a smile.
We only ate in the restaurant one evening - too many others to try - but the food was amazing.
Yes, it is one of the most expensive places to stay in Chaweng, but it is absolutely worth it."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

Poppies deserves its high ranking.

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Poppies was a delightful and romantic hotel at a quieter end of Chewang with its own clean beach and lovely pool. The rooms have all you need except an air-conditioned bathroom (it gets hot in there!). The TV is small. Restaurant as good as others have mentioned, and so is the service. The lush gardens and overall ambiance are really atmospheric for couples. They have a nice air-conditioned Internet room with two Mac computers. Don’t recommend for children, as the rock pool could be a bit dangerous. One complaint is that it is overpriced and you feel that you’re not quite getting good value for money. The other would be that the restaurant surrounds the pool and isn’t private feeling with diners overlooking."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

Boutique Paradise

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"I am writing this review much too late, but after a really busy summer, I have finally found time to give my highest accolades to the Poppies Samui Resort in Koh Samui, Thailand. I reviewed every boutique hotel a month in advance of our trip on June 10th, and the name Poppies kept popping up in my research. After visitng the web site, I made my boyfriend promise to take me there and he did. All I can say is......WOW! After spending three days in busy, crazy, extremely hot Bangkok, Poppies was the answer for indulgence and relaxation. This boutique hotel sits right on the sand of the Gulf of Thailand with a perfect beach. We went off season and our stay was pretty quiet. From the moment you arrive and are greeted you are treated with the best of care and hospitality including lots of smiles. All rooms are bungalows and are nestled in what I would call a little oasis within the property. The grounds are immaculate, beautifully furnished and air conditioned which was important to us. Great food, great massages, close to everything, and a staff that knows the area and can guide you if you want to take day trips, etc. The manager and his wife were always around and were extremely friendly. We had a the BEST TIME! Highly recommended!!"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of August 2006

fantastic

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Let me start by saying that in comparison to other properties on Samui, Poppies is pricey. However:
-it is truly quiet and serene no matter which cottage you get
-the cottages are very large, very clean and tasteful, and bug-free
-you are within walking distance to anything you may want in the chaweng area
-the food is great
-the beach is very nice and clean
We stopped by other properties we had been considering, including the buri rasa (dirty and cramped), muang samui (nice hotel but [--]) and central samui (just too huge and crowded). Poppies tops everything else on chaweng, hands down. It's worth every penny. The staff seems to truly love working there. If you're conflicted or confused about which hotel to book like my girlfriend and i were when planning our first trip to asia, you simply cannot go wrong with Poppies."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of July 2006

Not a great start!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We stayed at Poppies for 3 nights at the beginning of July. It was the first stop from travelling from Manchester and it took us almost a day to get there as we stopped of in Dubai for a few hours and didn’t stop in Bangkok just went straight to Samui so we were very tired when we got there! I had phoned poppies at 3pm in Bangkok on the plane to say we would be there in an hour so they could pick us up from the airport. They were there to pick us up and when we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with flowers, cold towels and fruit juices and I thought it could only get better! Then after making me sign for the room the receptionist told me our room wouldn’t be available until after 7pm as the people who were staying in our room from the night before were sick so needed the room!! Charming I thought and I went mad as I was so tired and just wanted a shower and to have a lay down! Also bearing in mind the check in was at 2pm and we were paying for the room! The receptionist then said they would give us a free massage but I said I didn’t want one and just wanted my room so she said she had a temp room for us until ours was free which I accepted. When we got to this room it was actually one of the staff rooms and had all of their belongings in it which I was not impressed by and said I would not stay in that room - for what I was paying I was not accepting that. I asked to speak to the manager who wasn’t around and the girl couldn’t speak much English so didn’t know what to do. In the end we had to go for a drink and wait for the room to be free which was such a disappointing start to our holiday. Our room was ready just before 7pm and I spoke to the manager who said we could have that night free and a free massage which although was a good gesture didn’t make me forgot how we had been treated as new guests.

In general I will admit poppies are a nice place to stay. It’s a boutique hotel and the cottages are nicely furnished, the pool is nice although very small and the beach is nice but of course you do get people hassling you all day. The food is amazing - especially the Thai food but one thing is missing and that is the customer service. Having spoken to the manager I felt that, because they are a popular hotel they don’t really care if you have a bad experience as they will always be busy. Although we did get the free night etc they were not very apologetic. I have stayed in many top hotels and I must admit I was disappointed by poppies service. We went to the Tongsai after Poppies for 5 nights and much preferred it there, better service, nicer location - away from the busy and dirty chaweng and nobody bothering you on the beach.

Another thing I would like to point out is although the massage was free it was awful! Not a great setting – the rooms were like a cubical with a towel hanging up instead of a door or curtain so no could see you if they were walking past! No music – not very relaxing – if you are thinking of having one it’s not worth it!!"

• Travel date: Fri 21st of July 2006

Fantastic place

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed here on the 2nd stop of our honeymoon and it was fantastic.

The cottages were fabulous, spacious with great decor. The staff were always extremely friendly and polite. The extra touches such as flowers on our bed and little gifts left in the room in the evening make you feel really special.

On arrival the fresh fruit punch, garlands of flowers and cold fragranced towels are a godsend. The resort itself feels really secluded with only the 26 bungalows. The facilities are good, we had a really relaxing Thai massage and read lots of books and magazines from the library.

The pool looked inviting although as the beach is only a 30 second walk through the hotel grounds, we opted for the sun lounger on the golden sand and dips in the clear warm sea rather than the pool. The pool/ beach attendant was great, ice cold glasses of water with slices of lime are delivered to you right away and regularly topped up (complimentary).

The food was lovely, but a little pricey for Thailand so we ate out most nights. Take lots of insect repellant though or get bitten to shreds! The breakfast is fantastic, good variation every morning, sitting on the deck over looking the beach.

The one great shame is that Poppies is no longer at the quiet end of Chaweng, the whole stretch now seems to be commercialised which is apparent when you step out of the front door - no matter the place itself is so fab!

We'd definitely go back , thoroughly recommended."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of July 2006

An excellent choice

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We chose to stay at Poppies for our honeymoon and it was an excellent choice. The accommodation, the grounds and the staff were all superb.

We only ate in the restaurant for breakfast and lunch but the food was lovely.

We chose Poppies because it said in the brochure that it was at a quieter end of Koh Samui. Once your in the grounds of Poppies you don't hear any noise and yet it's only a short taxi ride to the main area with all of the bars.

The accommodation is stunning, very well maintained and very clean and the mini bar is not overly expensive.

I would really recommend this hotel and just wished I was going back!"

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of June 2006

Great place to stay

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Poppies is a fabulous Hotel,for those who have the pleasure of staying their it is a hotel which can not be faulted for the price band it is in.
The Bungalows are clean,well positioned for privacy and are extremely well serviced by the staff.
The restaurant is good,breakfast is excellent and the beach area very clean and tidy.I would recommend this Hotel it has everything to offer for a relaxing stay.
However,at no fault of Poppies,I would not return to Koh Samui.I visited around 8years ago when it was a charming and pretty thai resort that was a pleasure to visit.It had clean and tidy beaches an interesting main street,excellent selection of good local restaurants and enough hotels to satisfy the tourists needs.
Wow has it changed,the resort must be at least 2miles long!Which is not a huge problem as there is a good transport service which ferries you up and down the main road.There are several Indian tailors touting for busines,time share whizzing up and down on scooters and fast food joints of every kind.
Not what you expect if you think you are going to a romantic and pretty part of Thailand.It is over developed and the beach is dirty in most places.Poppies
did keep their stretch of the beach clean and tidy but not all hotels did the same.
So by all means visit Poppies but be prepared for commercialism on a big scale in Chaweng."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

Pure heaven

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Our Thai style cottage was everything we expected and more. Although not huge the size was just perfect.

We were greeted with a complimentary cocktail and garland and personally shown to and around our romantic cottage. The partially exposed bathroom was quite unique, however i was expecting from reading the brochure that the bath would be the exposed part instead it was the small garden.
The shower was also lovely and powerful.

In the early evening the maid came round to turn down our bed. She also left small gifts, chocolates and a proverb of the day. Each morning fesh fruit was delivered to our terrece along with the Bongkok Post(written in English). It was these little touches that made Poppies for us.

The restaraunt was fantastic(for either breakfast, lunch or dinner). Food excellent and views awesome. Pricey by Thai standards probably akin to top UK restaraunt but well worth it.

Pool petite but inviting and nicely landscaped as were the hotel grounds.

Poppies right on beach, beach boys very attentive with towels, regular water and fruit.

Beach traders aplenty but a simple shake of the head and they got the message. Sea can be rough at times, one should adhere to the flags!

All staff extremely attentive and courteous.

Overall we had the most amazing stay at Poppies and would love to return in the future."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of February 2006