Good
( 1946 reviews)

A good hotel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Only stayed for one night at the Peace Resort but we were pleased with it. It was different - accomodation was lots of different bungalows, so were nice and private and spacious. The decor was tasteful, the rooms were very comfortable and there was good space on a patio outside to relax. The bathroom was only average - relatively dated and not the best shower, but certainly adequate.
The breakfast was good, the happy hour was good, and the Pool was excellent - big and deep. All in all, a good hotel. If you walk to the Fishermans Village, be sure to walk down the beach to it and not out of the front of the hotel as that takes you 10 mins longer and isn't a very nice walk.
We didn't book a taxi from the hotel as they quoted 400 bt, which for a 10 min drive is extortionate - taxis are outside and you are better of walking outside and negotiating a reasonable price."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of March 2007

Good Resort on a spoilt lsland

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"II have just returned from a 3 week trip to Thailand and I would definitely say that Ko Samui was the least attractive place we visited. Talk about how to ruin an island through over development and commercialisation! Arriving from Ko Phangan, which is literary a stones throw over the water from Ko Samui was like entering a different world. Gone was the tropical paradise with beautiful and peaceful beaches, instead to be replaced with jet ski's, thousands of tourists, hundreds of beach sellers, McDonalds and non stop construction work etc etc. Not to mention that the prices were way more expensive here than anywhere else in Thailand. Don't get me wrong Ko Samui is a beautiful island, but it is just that you have to look very hard for it. Thankful I had done a bit of research before I got there and managed to stay away from Chaweng Beach, which upon visiting one night was just like a Thai version of Tenerife or Ibiza, a truly unforgettable experience. On the positive side we chose to stay at Peace Resort in Bo Phut which was very nice (as I think I would have packed up and gone home if I had selected somewhere in Chaweng). The resort itself was very quiet and relaxing, and has an excellent swimming pool right on the beach. We stayed in a standard garden bungalow which was very nice and spacious with a great bathroom and massive double bed. The only down side was that we were quite far back in the resort and there was not much to look at from our little veranda area so didn't really get the chance to chill out after a hard day at the beach with a nice sun-downer. The breakfast was excellent and the hotel’s restaurant had a great view out to the sea which looked across to Ko Phangan (just to torture us!!). We had dinner at the hotel on our first night and the food and service was excellent. The resort is almost exclusively visited by Germans (I think about four or five German tour companies must have this place in their brochure’s) and we were the only Scottish people there, but that did not bother me at all and it was a friendly enough atmosphere. As other reviews have mentioned, there is a bit of a fight for sun beds, particularly around the pool, so it was a case of if you can’t beat them join them in putting your towels down to reserve a place. Bo Phut itself it a nice stretch of beach and the walk along to Fisherman Village in the evening was a nice way to work up an appetite. The village has a great selection of restaurants and a few bars to choose from, all based on the main strip through the village. As much as I did not really like Ko Samui, I had two of the best meals of my trip on the island. I cannot recommend the restaurant called Starfish & Chocolate highly enough. It’s on the main road in the village and has a great atmosphere and the food was fantastic (and not too expensive). Be warned the place is so popular that you are best to book during the day to guarantee a space in the evening. Overall, Peace Resort is a nice and relaxing place to stay on Ko Samui, with Bo Phut/Fisherman’s Village offering a nice enough beach (apart from the beach sellers) and a good variety of eateries and bars. Definitely stay away from Chaweng if you are planning on going to Ko Samui, unless you want neon lights, girlie bars and thousands of western tourists all squeezed together pretending to be in a tropical paradise. My suggestion would be use Ko Samui as a transit point to get to Ko Phangan as you will have a much better time, get better value for you Bhat and feel like you are actually in Thailand and not some generic over-developed holiday resort."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

A good peace

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"Spent three nights here with wife and teenager. Liked the place a lot, good for sun, beach & relax. Clean. Good food at good prices at the hotel, excellent seafood. Good thai massage for Euro 5/hour by the beach! Could go back anytime."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of July 2006

Go for peace and quiet

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"x Nice rooms, clean, with more or less everything you need (except plugs for some reason! I had to unplug the TV to charge my camera).
x Nice pool, restaurant and bar area (although never had dinner there, breakfast and lunch were good)
x Friendly staff, always seemed to be someone around to give a helping hand.
x Bo-phut is great if your looking to get away from it all - its missing all the things you wished werent in Chaweng or Lamai!
x Best part of my stay was my night time walk down the beach to the village to find dinner.
x The majority of people staying there were German (Im English), never saw any agro with any guests.
x Only negative was the sun lounger booking system (towels on beds at breakfast) - i didnt like it but I just played by the same rules...... and everything worked out fine."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of April 2006

Changing Times, changing places

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"My wife and I have stayed at the Peace Resort each year for the last three years. Whilst it does live upto its name, the beach (and Bophut village)have steadily commercialised during this period, and an island wide building frenzy is threatening to replace Thai charm with European style holiday-making.
The clientele at the Peace Resort has always been predominantly Northern European, and we can truefully state that no matter what the rush might be like for a sun lounger, we have never been disturbed by drunken revelry of a night time. What really does irk, however, is the non-consideration shown to non smokers, especially in eating areas, and this was a major irritant at the breakfast table.
Otherwise, the Peace Resort is fairly child safe (as long as a watchful adult is around), but keep an eye on the dogs roaming the area. The bungelows are clean, and the a/c good. The natural world of birds ,lizards, insects, butteflies, is wonderful, but the spiders do grow big.
If you don't speak Thai, English is the language of choice for communicating with local people. The better restuarants, and shopping areas are in Chaweng, but expect to bring home dirt and dust souvenirs from the roads as you travel through the crazy roads of Samuai"

• Travel date: Sat 25th of March 2006

You get what you pay for

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I would recommend against this hotel, whilst it was perfectly clean and in good order we did not enjoy the experience and with hindsight would have stayed elsewhere.

When we arrived we were not allocated a sea facing room, despite the fact we had paid more for one. We were told nothing else was available and were given a smaller room to the back of the resort. After much debate they agreed to move us, but had initially lied and said all the other rooms had people in them.

This experience mirrors that of another guest I have read on another thread.

The resort is full of Germans which is good if you are German, but you may not be so happy about it if you are in the minority who are not. Particularly because that means that at 7am (we were up to take a tour not to play the game ourselves!) most of the sunbeds already had towels on them to reserve them for their owners to return later in the day.
In fact we noticed some people were even reserving sunbeds by the sea and by the pool!

The chalets themselves are clean but a little spartan, especially the bathrooms.

Bo Phut doesn't seem to have that much going for it, would suggest staying at a quiet end of Chaweng so you get a more beautiful beach, but a bigger choice of restaurants and places to go.

Overall Samui's rundown roads, and general lack of investment by the local government would put me off returning again, I much preferred Phuket."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of February 2006

Beautiful

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"A real gem. We stayed in Beachfront apartment and it was great. Lovely room, well-positioned. Great beach. Lovely food at the hotel and some great restaurants down the beach. Can't fault it! Peaceful."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of November 2005

Fantastic Resort

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We were travelling with 16month old baby and the staff couldn't do enough for us. Has childs playground & toddler pool. The staff even looked after the little one during meal times so we could eat in peace. Had Seaview room, fantastic view, quiet, great bungalows. Great breakfast, resaurant. Good bar by the pool or have your cocktails delivered to your room. Found Bo Phut beach much more atmospheric than Changwa beach. For the price this place is great value, and there was no construction or noise I read in earlier review."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of September 2005

Noise Resort

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"This hotel should really consider changing its name to Noise Resort or perhaps Last Resort!

We stayed 4 nights at "Peace" Resort from dec. 4 to dec 8. 2004.

During this period they had decided to start remodeling the pool area! The first day they used a big hammer, it wasn't that noicy but it got them nowhere - then they decided to use some old power tools - and for 2 days the pool area was the perfect place to go for a headache. When confronting the staff, they appologized and said it would only last two more days (just as our stay). Even as we left they continued constucting. On our last day the manager showed up in his Ferrari Cayenne - I don't mind people driving nice cars, but if he had spent a little more buck on the tools for his employees, the work needed done wouldn't have taken more than 1-2 hours, and our stay would have been dramatically improved. Leaves me with a very bad impression!

Perhaps they should have scheduled this work for low season.

The neighbouring hotels are currently construction sites - so be prepared for construction site noices (hammers, power tools etc) from 6 am to 8 pm - with a break in the middle of the day.

The staff was the most unfriendly people we meet on our 1 month round trip in Thailand - no smiles, no services, no hospitility!

The breakfast was ok, but still leaves much to desire! Think bacon cooked by pound in an owen!

The beach was littered with bottles and broken glass - so be sure to bring some shoes.

To be fair the bungalows were nice and clean.

We didn't leave any tips!"

• Travel date: Sat 11th of December 2004

If your looking for a little peace...

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My Husband & I had the best time, in Samui. Peace Resort was great.
Check out the spa across the road, you get 20% off any service. I started with a massage, and went back for the 3 1/2 hour treatment, lovely. (I spent about $60. total including tip.) A Thai massage on the beach or by the pool will only run you about $5. for an hour.
By the time we left we had made friends with the entire staff. Samui people are the best. I have traveled a fair bit, Asia, Europe, Caribbean, South, Central, & all over North America, & I can honestly say Samui is the most beauitful place I've ever been.
Peace Resort is not a luxury hotel, nothing super fancy. What you go there for is "PEACE", and that what you get.
The breakfast (included with the room price) were soooo yummy. Anything your heart desires, I should have gain 100 pounds, they have fruit and lighter fare if your watching your weight. Don't miss the Thai Dance Night, on Mondays, or the BBQ seafood. The steak was pretty good too & prices are great.
Peace Resort is in Boput beach, a peaceful area Samui, with just enough activity. If you want a drink or dinner go to L'ORIENTEER in Fishermans Village. Just a five mintue walk on the beach, (to your right). L'ORIENTEER the best place to be in Samui. With super sexy Amanda serving you drinks & great conversation, lovely On ( that's her name) cooking up the best Massaman (Thai stew) you've ever had, Oh, and Samy on the decks playing the best house music on the entire Island of Samui, your bound to have the best time of your life. I did and I can't wait to go back. If your looking for a great shop, go to Big Budda temple & check out DOUBLE DUTCH, Hans, & Kees have the best, and the best prices. If a five minute walk is too much for you, go right next door, to your left, COCONUT is a great place to listen to some tunes and get a delectable drink try Singha, Thai beer, so good. Joe will most likely exite you with his flame throwing.
The front desk at Peace Resort was very helpful. We feed baby tigers while we were on one of the tours they had recommended, WOW. Thai people don't make much money , so please tip. Like I said before, my husband & I can't wait to go back, we didn't want to leave. We definitely found the peace we were looking for, now we must adjust to New York life. Hope this helps."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of September 2004