Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort

• babysitting
  • infinity pool
  • tv channel one russia

Good

My wife and I have decided that this is...

Reviewed Mon 18th of February 2008

"My wife and I have decided that this is the best hotel we have stayed at and we have stayed at many top quality hotels accross the world. From the moment you arrive and met with a cocktail and a cold towel to the most friendly staff you could ever meet. We planned to save a bit of money by eating at the nearby fishermans village with many shops, resturants and bars but after the first couple of meals taken at the hotel, we only had 1 meal outside at The Shack. A nice Grill with good food.Only went in 1 bar also. British owned Sirocco bar. Live music a couple of nights a week. As well as our free head and neck massage, my wife had a few treatments which she said were quite expensive but well worth the money. We will be going back to the travel agent soon to book to go back for Thai new year next April."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of February 2008

Had a wonderful holiday, the Anantara is...

Reviewed Fri 5th of October 2007

"Had a wonderful holiday, the Anantara is a lovely hotel; the staff are so friendly and cannot do enough for you.

We stayed in a Lagoon room which was fantastic; we have an amazing bath for 2 which they filled with rose petals every evening.

I would definitely go to this hotel again."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of October 2007

Great breakfasts

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Room was wonderful, as described by other reviewers. My fave part was breakfast where quality is not compromised. Top notch bacon & sausages, not the cheap stuff you usually find in hotel buffets. The homemade jams were exquisite & exotic - banana, guava, papaya, fruits I did not imagine could be made into jams. There's also a honeycomb dripping with honey to go with fluffy pancakes. We didn't need lunch after this feast and walked out to Fisherman's Village for early dinners amidst beautiful sunsets. Cheap massages on the beach just outside hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006

beautiful anantara

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"My husband,four year old daugther and i stayed at the anantara resort for four days in june. If you want to stay at bophut beach i can not think of any better. We stayed in the anantara suite and it was absolutely wonderful. the room was good size,beautifully decorated and with lovely views of the pool area and sea. I loved the large bathroom with an enormous bathtub. Our daughter slept on the sofa .It was very comfortable .They even have a "pillow menu" in the room,with a wide selection of different pillows to choose from. The roomservice was was good and i loved the good selection of wines. When you are traveling with small children it is nice to have a lovely balcony and good roomservice.One small thing about the cleaning...the room was always so clean and nice,but it is a pity they seem to forget about the balcony. The balcony is such an important part of the room and should be looked after just as well.
there were fresh fruit and snacks delivered to our room every afternoon,nice!
The pool area is just wonderful,good size pool and plenty of nice loungers.During the day the nice staff came with cold lemon scented towels,and delicious fresh fruit .
We had both lunch and dinner at the nice restaurant by the pool,and loved it.The breakfast and breakfast area is also very nice.
The bo phut beach is not as nice as chaweng beach,but we had a wonderful time in this beautiful hotel an would go back any day."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of June 2006

Beautiful resort, friendly staff, but stay away from the spa!

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"The Anantara Ko Samui is a beautiful, cozy, private, and luxurious boutique hotel. Public areas are small but exquisitely decorated with teak wood furniture and other Thai accents. Our deluxe garden room was small but comfortable, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated. Upon mention of our honeymoon, the staff decorated our bed with rose petals and prepared a flower bath for us in the large terrazo bathtub. The infinity edge pool and gardens are not large, but they're beautifully landscaped. Breakfast selection is good and varied - Asian and Western choices abound (dim sum, sushi, miso soups, congee, pad-thai, fried rice, omelet station, fruits, cereals, baked goods, etc). The hotel is also conveniently located on Bophut beach within walking distance of the Fishermen's Village and various restaurants. Try Starfish and Coffee, which serves good Thai food and D.D. Restaurant on the beach (great romantic outdoor ambience but beware the mosquitoes!).

Now, stay away from the Anantara's spa. The facilities are beautiful but do not let them deceive you! Their prices are comparable to those of other top Thai spas (e.g. Oriental Bangkok, Phuket Yacht Club-Royal Meridien, etc) but service and skills are mediocre at best! I got a Thai herbal indulgence treatment (scrub + body wrap) and it was only ok at best. Now, do not get a pedicure! I thought the woman was going to file my foot off. She kept sticking the sharp end of the file in between my toes as she filed my toe nails. So I told her to stop and just apply the nail polish."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of May 2006

Honeymoon delight

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We spent a week here for our honeymoon and it was truly incredible. As a young couple seeking some peace and quiet and romance, this was simply wonderful. The staff couldn't be more helpful, the rooms were spotless with little treats left in the evening and the pool was great.

The bar and restaurant are very pricey, but we enjoyed walking into the village each evening for some local cuisine and mixing with other people. You can get some wonderful local food for about £12 each (including beers and 2 courses) and there's a wide choice of places to go.

Really couldn't fault this place - I do agree with one of the other postings about the rooms lacking a sea view, but it's so peaceful and the garden is beautiful.

Wish we could return sooner, maybe for our 5 year anniversary!"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of May 2006

Superb Time

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I and my wife have just come back from a week at the Anantara and on the whole we had an excellent time. The hotel is based in the north of the island, well away from the manic activities in Chewang and Lamai towns. It is a 10 minute drive from the airport and the hotel's entrance leads off from the unprepossessing main road. However, once you enter the complex, it is an ocean of calm. The hotel's architecture is a delight with it being "U" shaped with the bedroom wings leading up to the beach. A delightful tropical garden lies in the centre. A great infinity pool is right on the beach and is excellent but the seating tends to get filled up in the afternoons. At night time oil lamps are lighted everywhere in the grounds which looks great.
The hotel has two restaurants. The "High Tide" Italian which also doubles as the breakfast room (didn't try it) and the "Full Moon" (Thai and International) which has a stunning location on a podium overlooking the pool and beach. We had lunch there occasionally and was excellent. There is also a Spa which we didn't try. The standard bedrooms are small but tastefully furnished with a little balcony. Be warned that very few, if any, possess a sea view. Most of them are overlooking the garden. You will have to upgrade if you want a better vista.
The staff are a delight with them being polite, courteous and deferential, as in the Thai tradition. Thai's love children and any youngsters will be treated with affection. As for our fellow guests, they were almost solely northern European.
Being a 5* hotel means that you are paying 5* prices for EVERYTHING. Most people cotton on to this and find that you can get anything outside the hotel for a fraction of the price, whether it is the internet, massages or eating. We noticed that the two restaurants were invariably empty in the evenings. A 5 minute walk leads you to "Fishermans Village" which is a strip of restaurants and bars. We ate there sometimes with goodish but not great meals. The only one I can heartily recommend is a new French one "Carpe Diem". Truly excellent.
Some points to note:-
1) As this is tropical Thailand you will get bitten by mosquitoes. This is not a bad reflection on the hotel but just a fact of life for this part of the world.
2) The hotel is right next to a grotty backpackers type hostel/beach hang-out. Techno music blasted out 24/7 but fortunately did not appear to be intrusive.
3) If you want to lie on the beach, they have the usual deckchairs. However, you will get regularly pestered by hawkers. They are not allowed to enter the pool area.
4) The buffet breakfast is huge and caters for Europeans tastes, with very few Asian dishes. The flies on some of the food was off-putting.
5) The seating around the pool was crampt with your fellow neighbour being only inches away from you.
In my opinion the hotel caters for couples who want to do nothing more but relax. It is not for families, and I guarantee teenagers will soon get bored. The hotel markets itself as one of the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World" and therefore if you are wanting a huge range of hotel activities to keep you amused, I suggest you look elsewhere. All in all, we were very satisified with what we got and would unhesitatingly return.
On a final note, if you want to explore be careful of the taxis. None of them use meters and they will try to rip you off. Always bargain and if you are going to Chewang (20 min ride) do not pay more than B200."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of May 2006

Lovely hotel, but service somewhat disappointing

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"A very lovel hotel - that's our first impression when my wife and I arrived. Check in was smooth and the staff were courteous. Perhaps, it was because the first impression was so positive that we had set too high expectations - it turned out to be a little disappointing.

The hotel grounds are impressive, ambience is good, our room is spacious (we stayed in a suite though) and the bed is very comfortable. And there were these nice little gestures like free finger food in the evening and a birthday cake on my birthday (yes, the trip was to celebrate my birthday).

Most of the male staff were courteous and warm but we couldn't say the same for their female counterparts, from the front desk to waitresses in the restaurants.

The waitress who met us at the High Tide Restaurant (which serves breakfast) on our first morning pulled a long face and didn't even want to have eye contact. The only words she uttered were "what's your room number?" The same waitress was there on our 2nd and 3rd morning and there was no change in attitude. Worse still, on one of the days, she kept checking the bill that was placed on our table, presumably to ensure we've signed it - even before we started eating! Perhaps not intended, it does send the message that we have over stayed our welcome, and is really unnecessary as breakfast is included in the package we paid for. Not exactly a good way to start the day.

"Uninterrupted ocean views from every room is one unique aspect of our resort" - that's how the resort is described in the guest services directory. Well, we stayed in a suite on the top floor which presumably should have better views - not the case. The view from one balcony (there were two) was almost completely blocked by trees while the other had at best a partial view of the sea. I was very curious why the hotel didn't put us up at the other suites on the same floor which appeared to have better views - and they didn't seem to be occupied.

Finally, I requested for late check out - check out time is 12noon and all I needed was an extra 1-2 hours. I've a flight to catch at 4.30pm and with a young child in tow, it's always good to have a room. The guest services directory did say I could make the request 1 day before departure which was what I did. I waited several hours but there was no response. The next day, an hour before check out, I was told there was a late reservation, and I had to vacate my room by 12. That didn't seem plausible and appeared to be a standard reply.

I was proven right. After check out, I was able to use a computer in the hotel library to book 5 suites (the maximum allowed) from the Anantara reservations service on the internet for the very same day.

It's the perogative of the hotel to allow late check out - but I'm just surprised that for one which appeared eager to please (like a birthday cake), it won't bother to accomodate a guest on something he needs most (in my case, a late check out by 1-2 hours) at virtually no opportunity cost.

When I checked out, the front desk staff merely thanked me. There were no other pleasantries - even the doorman and hotel cleaners were warmer and more sincere in their greetings when we departed. I wonder if I've been blacklisted as I verbally complained to the front desk the previous day for poor service at the High Tide Restaurant.

Worse still, a request I made the previous night for a taxi to the airport wasn't attended to. I didn't know about it until it was 10 minutes past the booking time and there wasn't any taxi in sight. To ensure I won't miss my flight, I've to make the same request at the front desk again (of course, the request was made to a male receptionist this time).

It was very unfortunate that my otherwise excellent experience at the resort was marred by some really inexplicable attitude on the part of a few staff members (i.e. the female receptionists and waitress who happened to be the front line staff with the most contact with hotel guests)"

• Travel date: Sat 29th of April 2006

Wedding at Anantara Samui

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My husband and I got married at Anantara in early March 06.

We had over 90 guests at our wedding, all from across the Globe. The age range was from 6 months to 87yrs old (my Grandmother who had flown from New Zealand). All age ranges are catered for. The babysitters are friendly (although do not speak very good English), but the children loved them and the parents were happy. My Grandmother struggled with all the steps and changes in the pavement across the resort, but she always had a staff member helping her.

The Staff here are fabulous and after staying for nearly 3 weeks, we felt like family! Bee (on the front desk) will sort you out with any tours you want and recommends fabulous restaurants. She was our saviour when organising buses for Hen's and Stag nights!

We had the Wedding in the Spa Garden, which they had closed specifically for us. The Garden looked amazing and they put an enormous amount of effort into the flower arrangements.

We then moved to the Eclipse bar for drinks (they really need to hire more efficient bar staff as they struggled to serve all 90 of our demanding guests - we all like a drink!).

After that we went onto the Full Moon restaurant for dinner - the only way to describe this restaurant is WOW! It hangs over the pool - looking out to the ocean. It's amazing and once again the attention to detail was second to none.

After a huge buffet dinner (and too many glasses of wine) we went back to the Eclipse bar for dancing.

Overall our experience was fabulous and we had so much fun. Not one guest complaint except for a guest breaking a chair in the bar when she sat on it (it obviously was rotten, as she was 13 and weighed about 45kgs!).

You will enjoy the resort, but you forsake room space for the resort grounds and staff. The treatments are expensive, but if you buy the 5+ day packages it's worth it! But if you leave the resort and turn left or right on beach you can get massages for 200bht that can be just as good.

Also as we had our honeymoon there as well - we were treated like celebrities! We had flowers, champagne and fruit on the day of our honeymoon starting! And they called me Mrs after our wedding!

Fabulous resort in a fabulous country!"

• Travel date: Tue 25th of April 2006

Wonderful place to relax

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"The Anantara is a beautiful oasis of tranquility. The staff are all friendly and helpful. The grounds are amazing with lots of water features and lovely planting thoughout. The rooms we had were exactly as you see in the brochure. The pool is very clean and lovely to sit by, if a bit noisy as it has lots of pretty and interesting water features. The food was fantastic, but very expensive compared to the many local resaurants that are only a few minutes walk away. (The Geko bar next door is great for lunch, cheap good food and good atmosphere). All the restaurants in the village were great, but we particularly liked "Smile". The spa at the Anantara is a beatiful and amazing place, but incredibly expensive - really pricing itself out of business! a walk along the beach will find lots of massages available for only 200baht (about £4.00)."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of March 2006

Very nice but not perfect

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Anantara Koh Samui for the last week of a trip around Thailand. The architecture and grounds are impressive (but watch out for the ponds around the walkways - no less than 3 people fell in while we were there). The rooms are of standard size but all have a spacious balcony or deck. The beds are huge and very comfortable. We stayed in a 3rd floor room over the lobby/restaurant area which was very quiet and had a distant view of the ocean over the gardens.

The pool is quite large and overlooks the beach. Unfortunately there never seemed to be enough poolside lounge chairs. The beach is nice but the water isn't very clear here.

The restaurants are quite good, "Full Moon" overlooking the pool provides a gorgeous setting at night. Proximity to the Bo Phut fishing village provides a variety of other dining options in walking distance as well.

The spa is beautiful and the treatments (we each had a massage in the garden Sala for about 50% off) are very good. Note however that good massages can also be had on the beach just outside the resort for about 15% of the cost of the hotel spa.

Overall the Anantara is a very nice hotel that we would certainly consider staying at again."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of March 2006