Swimming pool on the beach

About Moracea By Khao Lak Resort

• steam room
  • thai amenities

Great Hotel

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"During the initial planned trip to Khao lak the Haadson resort was my first choice due to all the great reviews’ on this board. However, due to one negative comment, I chose to stay at the khaolak resort. I am ever so thankful for this one reviewer because it helped me make the right choice and a very wise choice. Getting to Khao lak was easy, a taxi from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak cost about 1000 to 1500 Baht depending on your bargaining skills. The drive from Phuket to Khao Lak is a one hours drive. The Khao Lak resort is located on a magnificent large compound which is really large, idyllic and gave you the sense of living in the midst of nature with all the luxury amenities. The property and the layout are beautiful and it was right in front of the beach built on a slope with gardens, ponds and wilderness. During the low season it was really nice to have a comfortable room with all amenities because when it rains you can expect it to be heavy and it pours for days. I booked a superior bungalow but upon arriving at the hotel the management upgraded my room to a deluxe bungalow right in front of the swimming pool. The customer service in this hotel would rank in the very best of the best. The great service, the warm smiles extend all the way from the front desk to every employee in the compound. They literally cannot say “no” to any request or service you ask them. I was frequently approached by staff asking me if I needed a ride to my room anytime they saw me waking into the compound gate. The compound is large property and when it rains the free rides are really helpful. I did some research during my stay and visited some of the other hotels and beaches in the area. I visited white sands beach because it has the best beach front location in Khao Lak and it is also home to Le Meridien and the Sarojin hotel. Both hotels are located far apart with nothing but prime pristine beach strip with hardly any development in the surrounding area. This may be a great location but you have to depend on the hotel for all your drinks, food and massages because it is far from the city and nothing closed to the beach. The beach in front of the Haadson was very poor quality with rocks and it is not swimmable. The resort property was not to my expectations and the location was far from the city. On the other hand Khao Lak Resort and a few of the adjoining resorts had a decent beach front location that had areas which were nice to swim. The walk to the city from Khao Lak Resort and other adjoining hotels was only a 10 minute walk and you also had convenient access to many restaurants, bars and massage places on the beach. Due to the location, the nice beach front location, cost, hotel amenities and service, this hotel is highly recommended over most of the others."

• Travel date: 10th August 2009

Great Service and Location

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

• Travel date: 10th August 2009

Fantastic Hotel - Would Go Back Tomorrow

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Stayed here for 2 weeks and was the most fantastic holiday - we were booked into a hotel room and upgraded to a bungalow - ask for this as the postioning is a lot better(£70 total for 2 weeks). Tip well and the staff are fantastic - we used the same taxi guy for the 2 weeks and got great deals (recommended by the gate house staff), the bar / pool staff were great, drinks were ready as soon as we got to the bar etc. Only down side was that the bars in the hotel and the town closed around 11pm, but we just drank on the balcony of the bungalow"

• Travel date: 12th June 2009

Beautiful hotel in a great location!

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Wasn't sure what to expect, but this hotel is really special. Beautiful accommodation in a great location. Built into the hillside in the jungle & only a few minutes from shops & restaurants. Don't know what the hotel block itself is like but we had a bungalow room beside the pool which was perfect. Restaurant food was a bit limited but the staff were really friendly & helpful. Probably more choice during high season, but plenty of other places to eat nearby anyway. Not a place to go if you want lots of nightlife and organised entertainment. If you want somewhere peaceful & unspoilt to relax & explore then this is perfect! Try the bar along the beach to the left. Again lovely setting a friendly locals who can give advice and even organise tours for you."

• Travel date: 2nd June 2009

Loved the location

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"We have just returned from Thailand and whilst there we spent 3 days at the Khao Lak Resort from 11th January. Our accomodation was a Thai Style bungalow in the most amazing setting. The resort offers you complete relaxation and it is really peacful. The pools are lovely and are never busy. The beach is absolutely beautiful and really private and the hotel sun loungers overlook the sea. The bungalows are set amongst the lush vegitation of the National Park and we saw all sorts of wildlife whilst we were there including a flying squirrel. Khao Lak itself is beautiful and there are many newer hotels which have been built since the Tsunami. Khao Lak resort is probably one of the older resorts but if you want peace and tranquillity and a real break from the rat race you will love this quaint resort."

• Travel date: 24th January 2009

Khao Lak, the relaxed alternative to Phuket

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"We have recently returned from 3 weeks at the Khao Lak Resort, Khao Lak, Phang Nga Region. The resort was excellent, everything worked, particularly the staff. The layout is spectacular, the accommodation set on a hill side amid tropical vegetation accessed by paths and stone stairways. My husband, who is a fit 76 with two artificial hips, had no difficulty in negotiating same. Most of the accommodation is separated from the beach by five free-form swimming pools and the beach is exclusive to hotel patrons due to its situation. There are ample loungers, showers, toilets and catering facilities. There is nothing plastic in this resort, natural materials are used throughout. Easy access to down town KhaoLak, via local taxi or a 10/15 min walk on illuminated pavements, with it’s extensive variety of shops and bars with good humoured vendors that can take ‘No’ for an answer. The restaurants serve wonderful food at very reasonable prices. You can even get a tattoo to your own design using traditional methods. Due to it being within the boundary of the National Park there are no water sports other than organised excursions. Two of those we particularly enjoyed most were via- Olaf at KhaoLak Guides who organised a guided kayak trip through the mangroves at Phang Nga Bay, into and through vast caverns adorned with pre-historic wall paintings amid enormous stalactites and ’mites. An added bonus is his wife Jui, whose bistro serves the best coffee and cake in the region. Ralf at O’Connor’s Bar organised a snorkelling trip on a refined version of the traditional long-tail boat, followed by a sun setting barbeque on a secluded beach. We were disappointed at the inability of travelling independently. Taxi trucks are good value but, to get the most from the area, transport is a necessity. The local buses were good, but the lack of printed information, eg.a timetable, inhibited their use. The cost of car hire is prohibitive to our pocket although a variety of motor cycles are available. They are modern, well maintained and reasonably cheap. They have however the implicit risks of a two-wheel vehicle, particularly in torrential rain."

• Travel date: 2nd January 2009

There were good and bad bits....

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"I stayed here on my honeymoon during christmas of 2008 and I have to say that overall the experience was a positive one - but I would not come back. I am giving the hotel 3*s because the negatives from the hotels point of view was: that we did not stay in one of the bungalows - we stayed in the main bit of the hotel and it is true that these rooms are not very nice at all. However, we mentioned the lack of privacy as being an issue with reception and they showed us a bungalow - which was even worse that the room we were staying in! I am very glad that we did not pay the extra to upgrade. We reserved a table at the restaurant for our last night and when we arrived at the restaurant they had given our table to someone else (we found the staff at the last poolside bar to be pretty miserable and did not break a smile once - even though we always did and made an real effort with the language) We rarely ate at the hotel as there are some fantastic alternatives - particularly Phukhaolak - which is just down the road before you get into the main drag on the opposite side of the road - but we were fairly dissapointed with the meals we did have here. And finally - and this is not anything the hotel can do anything about - but I think it must be mentioned for people thinking of staying here at this time of year - the rest of the guests were typical go down and put their towels on the sun lounger types. I always thought that people like this were a myth - a bit like typical brits who put handkerchiefs on their heads - but it is true - german tourists really do get up early - get their beach towel and then leave it on there whilst they eat their breakfast and get ready for their day of sunbathing. This was very frustrating and meant my husband and I had to lie on the beach - which was not very comfortable. Positives were: The staff are generally lovely (with the exception of a chap and girl who work in the bar by the spa) and always had a smile ready for us! The spa is fantastic and not badly priced compared to the local alternatives The bed in our room was all laid with petals saying happy honeymooner - which was such a lovely touch! And we also got a bottle of wine on the house - which was very nice actually. All of this was waiting for us in our room - which was great to arrive to. The christmas gala dinner was fantastic - soooo funny! The staff go to such incredible lengths and the food spread was AMAZING - everything you could think of. I haev to say - if you have children it is a great thing to do to get away from the cooking :) If you do go - please try and join in with their games and activities as they work so hard and 98% of the guests at our party did not really join in with the spirit of things to say the least, which was such a shame for them. As I say - generally positive and probably made more so by the fact we were on our honeymoon - so a little more forgiving than if we had been on just another holiday, hence the 3 stars. I am also giving it this rating, as the hotel does not profess to be anything it is not - it is 3 star graded and that is exactly what you get."

• Travel date: 1st January 2009

Great location

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"This was our third visit to Khao Lak but first to the KL Resort. The Hotel is very pleasant with bungalows and villas spread around the resort. There are rooms in buildings on the hill which I did not view. Our deluxe bungalow was very nice, with a great view, overlooking the pool then onto the sea. Our friends had arrived a few days earlier and they had upgraded to a villa on the front which was extremely nice. As it was our 25th we enquired about an upgrade and got one at a reasonable price. The villas are very spacious with a seperate lounge and bedroom and huge bathroom. There is also direct access to the Pool from a back door. The deck is huge and offers fantastic panoramic views of the ocean. The restaurants are very pleasant with a good range of food at realistic prices (though not as good as in town). As the KL Resort is only 10/15 minutes walk to the main town area, we walked in most evenings and tried almost all the restaurants. They were all very good. We always ended up in Tarzans Bar which has excellent music, the best atmosphere, great beer and drink selection and the friendliest and nicest staff in the world. Anyway back to the Resort. The staff are in the main very friendly, the Restaurant Manager - Ching is superb, as is the reservations manager - Sun. The young Burmese girl who patiently and endlessly kept the pathways and surrounding areas swept clean always rewards you with a beautiful smile whenever you say hello. The beach is a nice one, not far to walk to the left but to the right you can go for miles, albeit over some rocky headlands and awkward when the tide is in. There was the occassional slight issue of certain visitors doing the towel thing. I imagine this may get worse with more visitors. There are signs stating no reserving sunbeds!! The pools are lovely, v clean. The Spa is good, though I preferred the beach massage, 2 Hotels down. Overall we were very happy with this Hotel. Check out was poor and disappointing, we had a late flight so moving out of our room at 1400 meant we had to then prepare for the flights after a day on the beach (never the best). We did complain on our return and received some compensation and apologies. I would return here for its nice location and lovely layout, the gardens and landscaping are v nice. If you can afford it go for a villa and be aware that some of the bungalows can be high in the trees with quite a trek to get around."

• Travel date: 17th November 2008

good for families, if you stay in the more expensive accommodation

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"We stayed at the Khao Lak Resort for 3 nights in December 2007. The room we had booked was a superior room and was quite frankly depressing. It was around 2800 baht a night, which isn't cheap for Thailand, and had a strong smell of what the management described as "Thai herbs". I think they'd been put in the room to mask the musty, damp smell. We asked to see other rooms and were shown a Pool Villa that didn't smell, was right by the pool and only 10 metres from the beach. It was 6100 baht a night. We were then shown a beachfront villa that looked beautiful but at around 15000-20000 baht a night was out of our price range. They also showed us another superior room which didn't smell, but was a long way up from the pool and beach - the resort is on the beachfront and up the cliff behind it. The management were reasonable and agreed to let us stay in the pool villa for around 3800 a night. The views were beautiful and it was great to be able to step out into the pool or into the sea. Breakfast was included and was a good buffet. It was a 10 minute walk into Khao Lak town, an ok, but fairly uninspiring place, compared to the stunning scenery on both land and sea. Khao Lak is less than 2 hours drive from Phuket so is fairly easily reachable for families from who can fly to Phuket direct from Europe, and that seemed to be the majority of the other guests. Overall, I'd say that for families it's a good, but relatively expensive place to stay in a beautiful part of the world. The pool is beautiful and child-friendly; the resort is deserted by 10pm. Just make sure you get one of the villas by the pool, as the rooms in the main part of the hotel aren't great."

• Travel date: 28th December 2007

Khaolak resort in Jan 07

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Khaolak was one of the main centres descimated by the Tsunami, the resort is now back on its feet. In Khaolak village there are restaurants, supermarkets, tour offices etc which cater to all the needs of the tourist. The beach area has recovered and although you can tell that the Tsunami occurred due to areas where swaying palms are missing new vegetation and trees mask the devastation. The building work has replaced all but a couple of the beach front hotels and although you see a couple of empty hotels on the mile long stretch of beach expect to see shiny new beach bunaglows and properties in proliferation. Khaolak is continuing to rebuild itself so there are new hotels being worked on but it is not intrusive building work. When booking your hotel check the location and what you want some hotels are fairly isolated far up a long stretch of beach, where most restaurants are in Khaolak village. In a year of so Khoalak will be an upmarket resort with the beach front hotels side by side, now is the time to go if you want a chilled out low key destination, rather than a developed tourist centre, Khaolak is half way there in this respect."

• Travel date: 19th January 2007