Main pool

• shuttle bus service
  • infinity pool

Excellent honeymoon

Reviewed 3rd August 2016

"This is such an amazing hotel, we had a beach villa and it was stunning, the staff couldn't do enough for you, you only had to ask and what ever you wanted was there. When they knew it was our honeymoon, they made us a cake, put champagne in our room and every day we had fresh fruit. The food in the Restaurant was excellent, we went on B&B basis but we found that the hotel was as good as eating out. It was June this year so rainy season, but there were DVDs to use and we were very lucky we only had two days rain. The location is good, in the heart of everything, recommend, a Lady called Lara for excursions, does them privately and half the price of anywhere else, also only us and her so you get special treatment. We did not dislike anything, everything was to the standard we are used to, I work for an Airline as a pilot and can say this holiday is one of the best I've ever had, so much so we are going back on Christmas Day for 8 days can't wait "

• Travel date: 31st July 2016

Beautiful small hotel

Reviewed 7th January 2013

"We got a special deal from the travel fair in Bangkok and I have heard from some people that it is nice boutique resort in Khao Lak. I wanted to go there after Tsunami as I think that I would like to be part of economy improvement and also Khao Lak has been famous for the beautiful beach and nice people. The deal that we got was very great and it worth every penny that we spent.... No complain about that... but I would like more details in case some of readers would have to pay for the full price and there are something to consider. We got free transfer by hotel car, the staff was very nice and really helful. He was very polite and drove us to La Flora peacefully... We stayed at the studio room. It was okay... In fact, I expected something much better (as the full price is over 200 USD per night).... How ever, since I get special deal, then no complain. We also got free internet access which my boyfriend can do some work for 1-2 hours a day during our holidays. The resort is quite nice, but as some of the comments mentioned prior, it is quite small areas with lots of room in the small space.... Then, some how feel tiny... Any way, we were lucky that our building is near the beach and quite isolate, so we could get some nice view. We tried the seafood buffet on the second day. Frankly speaking, the food was bad and it was not impressed me at all. Since my boyfriend works in Restaurant & Food business, he commented that it should had been better for this kind of hotel. Any way, it was free (include in package), then we can't complain, but I feel sorry to those who pay for the dinner... The restaurant itself was dead.... no character... I like the restaurant at Mukdara more. We went there one night for dinner and all the food was good, especially Indian Salad and Lobster Salad. The breakfast was the worse that I have tried among 4-5 star hotels in Thailand. Even some of bed & Breakfast we stayed in Chiang Mai was much better. There were very limited selection of food and the teste was so so.... It made me think about having breakfast in some business hotels in Europe.... It was nothing impressed at all..... May be some tourist would said that food in La Flora is okay, but I am from Thailand and I know that we could do much better when we talking about food. We had one lunch in the hotel too as we were lazy.... and it was not impressed either, even I order very common Thai dish like Yam Woonsen (glass noodle salad) and Noodle Pork... Both are terrible. I am not sure if European Food would had been better. We tried the aromatherapy massage and we both liked it. The therapists are excellent and we felt very relax... till we were sleeping for 2 hours in the massage room. Normally my boyfriend doesn't enjoy the massage, but this time he said that massage at la flora is the best for Khao Lak trip."

• Travel date: 12th March 2008

Relaxing at La Flora

Reviewed 7th January 2013

"Stayed at this hotel for 8 nights in a poolaccess-room. Nr 614. Very nice and clean room. Large bathroom with shower and bathtub. Maid cleaned the room very fast and it was immaculate every time. Breakfast was great. Various seafood-dishes and many choices of bread and fruit. Infinty pool a great place to dip your toes. Great for kids as well. Resort is practically on the beach and the view from the breakfast area is magnificent. Long beach - great for a walk when the sun sets. Good food in the restaurant in the evening. We ate through the menu twice I think. Some nice restaurants down at the beach where you can pick your own fish. Only five minutes to Khao lak center with shops and restaurants. Staff was extremly helpful and smiled all the time. One of the waitresses got grilled corncobs for our daughter in the market! Went there in her sparetime and delivered it to our room in the afternoon. Thats service! The spa was fantastic. I have never been to such a luxurious spa before. Some things we were not to happy with. Our part of the hotel was "in the back" - we had to go out of the hotel area and walk down the street to our room. There were also noise from the Ramada which is right across the road. A lot of cutting, hammering and music from workers mending sunchairs at the Ramada. Traffic passing was also a bit noisy. Our door wasnt that thick...We felt a bit exposed with the door facing the road and our verandadoor facing an island in the pool. On this island people sat in there sunchairs only few meters from our veranda. We had no sun on our veranda but for us it was only a plus. On the other side of the pool they had the sun all day on their veranda. Other things. The big villas are not worth it. They look great and everything but the location is awfull. The biggest villa is situated right in front of three hundred sunbeds at the beach. It kind of spoils the effect of having a quiet breakfast out on the veranda when the view is polluted with people everywhere."

• Travel date: 13th February 2008

A resort to relax at

Reviewed 7th January 2013

"Stayed at the La Flora for only 3 nights and enjoyed the laid back atmosphere being in a pool access room. The front area pool area was rather congested most of the time whereas the pool access area was hardly used. It does not have any sea views as a downside of course. Best side to maximise the sun is on the 2 storey or north wing but that pool is certainly refreshing. The resort restaurant certainly catered for all cuisines and the breakfast buffet was extensive and views to die for. The Sunday night stage show was very professional with a variety of competent musicians. The lure of the local restaurants for choice was extensive and great value though some places seemed to do very well (Takieng) and others were almost deserted. The large number of deck chairs over looking the beach was over the top and as mentioned in a previous review would frustrate those in the "beach side" villas. The room I stayed in was roomy enough and functional, certainly was not exaggerated from the promotional material and mineral water was really there for the asking if requiring more than the allowance. One obvious difference comparing Khao Lak with Phuket was the genuine wish by locals to try and make a difference and that came through at the resort and throughout the area, be it in shops, on excursions or in restaurants. There was the occasional language disconnect but hey, it is Thailand and it is the tourist who also needs to fit in and go with the flow. Whatever contact with the staff was always helpful and had a number of examples where they went the extra step. Tried to get a booking to the Similian Islands at late notice but their normal operator was fully booked so another operator was arranged, possibly outside normal practice, and had a marvellous day. Just a pity about the haze restricting visibility as on a clear day it would be magic. The National Park certainly adds to the attractiveness of this area given the proximity and range of activities, all able to be booked from the resort if that is your preference. The resort is a little cramped and is long and narrow but that is a minor observation as it has plenty of greenery to break up the buildings and it is not as if you have to walk a great distance. The fitness room and spa fit into the middle of the resort and were popular assets. They even have mountain bikes for use if you feel so inclined. Overall I would rate the La Flora as being in the middle to upper range of a 4 star establishment with a wide range of facilities and on a pretty good beach and would not hesitate to recommend it as a place that does what it promotes itself as. Maybe just a little over promoted."

• Travel date: 18th December 2007

Ooop's a mistake was made.

Reviewed 7th January 2013

"From seasoned travellers of 38 years The word "Boutique" means small and exclusive. Read on. We booked to stay at La Flora in middle of September 2007 for 17 nights from 22 Nov to 9 Dec 2007. The web site showed it as having 70 rooms .5 days before we left home we were informed the hotel was full and that we were to be moved to another hotel for 1 night. Therefore a delay in the start to our holiday as we were unable to unpack and settle in to the hotel. Even after picking us up from first hotel there was still a 2 hour delay before we were allowed into our room. For compensation we were offered a free bottle of wine to have with a meal at the hotel. Despite our problems on arriving at the hotel, not once during our stay did any member of management approach us to see if all was in order. What did we find. The hotel now has 134 rooms, we had actually booked a poolside room without realizing they were a new addition to the hotel. The rooms are at the very back of the hotel and to get access to room 612 you have to virtually go out of the hotel and walk along the side of the street. The room also got no sun at all on the patio so not very appealing to use. There is very little privacy to the poolside rooms as other guests sit facing your room on an island in the pool. Our view on our patio was of the poolside toilets and utility room. The sunbed area now caters for double amount of hotel guests and is very cramped with little room between sunbeds which can cause friction amongst guests, as there is very little natural shade except for the umberellas.Not good if you do not smoke, no escape. Those guests staying in beachfront villas have their view obscured by sunbeds and umberellas. Very poor for what they are paying,considering it is supposed to be 4 star. The resturant staff tried to be helpful but appear very inexperienced have little or no knowledge of English and lack proper training in dealing with guests enquiries. The same applied to front desk staff. The food station where the eggs and omeletes were cooked backs directly onto the road, no screening from road,where as it is a dead end, vehicles were constandly reversing,causing dust and fumes into the cooking area. Our general view of La Flora, Rooms spacious and nice inside, housekeeping could be better. Rooms overpriced against other hotels,and is certainly not a boutique style or exclusive to other hotels, but a general family hotel with a large number of small children resident . We visited 5 other hotels whilst in Khao Lak as we hope to return, and would advise people there are much better hotels to be found.The Ramada (next door to la Flora) where we spent the first night has the feel of more space and not so cramped and enclosed, and a breakfast of very high quality. We did not eat in the La Flora in the evening so cannot comment on evening meals, as there are many very good small resturants that have a great atmosphere close by either on the beach on in the village up the road. If you are an English speaking person looking to visit La Flora you will find it hard to find someone to converse with.. Most guests appeared to be either German or Scandenavian . khao Lak has a fabulous beach, you can walk for miles,and has many interesting places to visit,but ,we are afraid we could not recommend this hotel"

• Travel date: 16th December 2007

A little oasis

Reviewed 1st January 2013

"Vacationer from Switzerland. We were prompted by our travel agent to visit Khao Lak, not only because it's a beautiful non-spoiled area of the world, but also to show our support after the horrible events of 2004. The tidal wave struck this region badly and the area is still rebuilding and recovering. But the natural friendliness and optimism of the local people are uplifting and make a trip to this part of Thailand very worthwhile. La Flora is the only hotel we've visited in KhaoLak so we can't compare it to others. We had a lovely direct pool access room in the Regina Wing of the resort, which was kept clean daily - according to Western standards. The adjoining pool was likewise very clean and inviting (not to mention refreshing in such heat!). The amenities offered in the room are "average": soap, refillable shampoo, shower gel, body lotion (the island is becoming - or already is - eco friendly). the mini bar stocked with anything you could require - includling 2 bottles of ice cold mineral water free of charge daily, an inviting and spotless "jacuzzi" type bath, a well functioning shower, a very noisy air conditioner. We sprayed bug spray aroung the front door at night since salamanders like share the room uninvited (they're harmless). The breakfast buffet was lovely - a combination of (leftover??) thai food including big shrimps and a good phad thai, and the usual Western fare, eggs however you like them, tomatoes and sausage for the British guests :-) I suppose, pancakes and maple syrup for the Americans...wonderful fresh fruits, excellent Thai yoghurt, so- so coffee (please improve your coffee!). The view from La Flora's restaurant is gorgeous. Directly on the beach, breathtaking view of the ocean and surrounding hills. There is a nightly buffet as well, but I must admit that the competition from the smaller local restaurants is difficult for the hotel guests to resist and we noticed that the La Flora restaurant was never full in the evening. A pity, since the setting is lovely and the food is good, of course more expensive than local restaurants but not over priced. A highlight of La Flora is their SPA. If you've ever been to Thailand you know that spas/massages are available on every corner, but if you should stay at La Flora, please try out their SPA - it is more expensive than your neighborhood 250BAHT Thai massage deal, but worth it. I had a Thai massage and a facial there and felt like I was walking on air afterwards. I saw some other women having pedicures and they all looked quite happy. Last but NOT LEAST: there is a brand new tiny Indian restaurant just across the street from La Flora: TAJ INDIAN Restaurant, 200 m behind Bang Niang Beach. There is only one ceiling fan in the restaurant and it is as hot as hell inside, but the food is so outstanding and lovingly prepared, spices just perfect. Asking the owner or waiter where he originates from, he said, "A thousand kilometers east of Dehli, and just a bit south of Kathmandu". Well, they really know how to cook in this area! An added asset to this restaurant, they also do your laundry for you at Baht70 per kilo, much cheaper than hotel rates, and they probably use the same laundromats. Yes, if we return to Khao Lak, we would certainly recommend La Flora, enjoy the pools, the friendliness, the spa, and the wonderful Indian restaurant across the street."

• Travel date: 16th December 2007

Fabulous La Flora

Reviewed 30th December 2012

"arrived home 2 weeks ago from our fabulous holiday at the la flora khoa hotel lak. we could not find any faults with this hotel whatsoever,ROOMS=we had a pool acess room which we thought was one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in,direct access into a lovely pool with water features ,,,and your own small jaccuzi.kept immaculate.FOOD=excellent,buffet breakfast,with.a.great choiceof food,something for everyone,evening meal(if you did not want to eat at any lovely local resturants near by )was really good not overpriced for quality food .SPA=beautiful spa ,beautiful people, really good prices.,STAFF=t EXCEPTIONAL These lovely young people,always with a smile on their faces,made our holiday special,,MR PHILIP,the resort manger,went out of his way to ensure everyone had all their needs met , and in his short time there,i am sure many guests left as friends, as we did. for anyone who likes a quality hotel in beautiful surroundings we would definantily recommend this hotel and we will return one day back to beautiful khao lak and the la flora. jackie and dave"

• Travel date: 21st October 2007

Speak English Please

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Great hotel (all new), beautiful pool, great spa, excellent cuisine (breakfast is everage) , magnific beach, except...staffs do not really 'speak' english. I speak a perfect american english (so I think this is not my language problem), but I figure out people who work there do not really understand english. I even have to pronoun my words very slowly so they can understand me, and sometimes they still got it wrong, but otherwise, they are all very nice and very friendly."

• Travel date: 3rd September 2007

Very relaxing

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"We stayed for 5 nights here before moving to Ban Thai in Patong (ordinary). I couldnt believe how quiet it was. I know its the low season but there were only 13 people in the whole resort. We decide to upgrade to a beach villa, yet even though it was so quiet they still charge us full upgrade price of an extra $120 per night. The staff were lovely and friendly, in particular Philip the manger was lovely and helpful. Because of the low season in Koh Lak nothing was opened so we had to eat all meals in the resort. Nice enough but after the 5 days we were looking forward to something different, however we did eat at the next resort , The Ramada for a couple of meals. I was looking forward to a rest and this place was perfect for that. Rooms were very nice and clean.Not much to do but rest just what we needed."

• Travel date: 11th August 2007

Lovely boutique hotel - lacks any soul though!

Reviewed 31st December 2012

"We stayed at La Flora for 4 nights after a hectic few days in Bangkok. We knew this hotel was small and going to be fairly quiet. However, at times during our stay we felt we were the only guests at the hotel which can have its benefits with regards to service but can be a little boring for a family with 3 teenagers. We booked 2 beachfront villa room but on check in we were shown to 2 villa rooms one row back from the beach with limited sea view. My husband asked to be moved to the front row but was told that the rooms were not available. After putting up a bit of a fuss we were told we could have one room on the front row. The next day we checked the occupancy of the beachfront rooms and they were not all taken. I can not understand the management not wanting to give customers the best rooms they can during such a quiet time. Saying that, the rooms themselves were stunning, the bed was on a raised platform, gorgeous bathroom with a sunken bath and both inside and outside shower. The pool area was lovely with great views of the beach. We were the only guests at the pool for 2 days of our stay. The pool staff were helpful and pleasant but sat around for the majority of the day doing nothing, whilst the beach immediately in front of the hotel was littered with sea debris. The other hotels either side of La Flora kept their beach much cleaner. There is only one restaurant, breakfast is a la carte not buffet which we would have preferred. The staff are lovely and very attentive, however meals would appear in a strange order sometimes eg cooked breakfast would arrive before any fruit juice or cereal. We ate at the restaurant on our first night - the food was good but no atmosphere in the restaurant - only one other couple. We ate in a beach front restaurant for 2 nights, just a 5 min walk down the beach to right, Chong Fah. This restaurant turns out some of the best Thai food we have ever eaten in our 3 trips to Thailand. It is quite a basic beach front restaurant with wooden chairs/tables and the usual threat of mosquitos but we could not fault the food - quite stunning and cheap. Our family of 5 spent around £15-£20 in total for a meal with drinks. Khao Lak town is close to the hotel, but we only went there once, - it was quiet due to the low season. Overall I would say our stay at La Flora was pleasant, however it was lacking any atmosphere. I would not recommend staying longer than 3 nights and as a family we would not return. I have done a review of Le Meridien Khao Lak as we moved on to this hotel after La Flora. For a family hotel I would recommend Le Meridien."

• Travel date: 4th August 2007

Great and beautiful resort

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"I and my girl-friend had a 3 days vacation here. The resort is very beautiful. The pool access room is very great, but I can not get it because they're fully booked. Anyway, the standard room still great. The food is o.k. not bad. Spa service is very great. I did not try any excursion trips that available, no comment. Great experience, will return again for sure."

• Travel date: 26th May 2007

My experience in Khao Lak

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"We have just returned from our trip to khao Lak, Thailand. We stayed at La Flora Resort. We had initally booked a studio room, but, upon arrivel found it was a little small for the whole family, as we are two adults, one child and one baby. We upgraded to a garden villa which was very pleasent. Our daughter slept in the day bed provided in the room and the baby had a baycot. The room was very well furnished and the whole setup of the bathroom very nice, they have a bathtub, seperate shower and a rainshower in a closed patio which I liked very much. They adverstise having a DVD player, but then don't have much of a choice of DVD's, especially ones for children. It might not seem important, as you are there to be on the beach, but as it was low season, and so the rainy season, we got a few days of non-stop rain, so some nice film would be useful as there is absolutly nothing else for children to do. They have no film channels on the normal TV. Another thing which was a little disapointing was the breakfast, we were expecting buffet breakfast, which we got initially, but then, due to low season, it passed to being a-la-carte. We wrote a complaint, but never knew if it was read, but a few days later the breakfast was again buffet. I think other guests must have complained too. The food in their resturant is nice, but much too over priced, their seafood buffet, however was good value for money, it was cheap and well served. Their spa looks good, but also much too overpriced, nearby there are lots of massage places much, much cheaper. I guess they could make some special offers in low season. One thing I was rather upset about, was the charging of 800 baht (roughly 16 euros) for a really small ceramic shampoo bottle that got broken. The service was okay, not what I expected from a boutique hotel. (I've stayed in one before in Kata Beach, Phuket called Mom Tri's Boathouse, and the service and small details were much better) They were rather lazy about setting up the beach and pool umbrelas when the weather cleared up, I always had to go and call someone, they never came themselves. Maybe that gets better in the high season. All in all I liked the hotel, the swimming pools are great and a large one for children, the location is perfect, right on the beach and near other hotels and resturants, also not far from the main village, the rooms were good, but I was expecting better service. It probably is better in high season, but it should be the same service in low season, or it should be made know that the hotel is only half working in low season."

• Travel date: 23rd May 2007

Hotels near La Flora Resort & Spa

Top traveller tips for La Flora Resort & Spa

• by Rachael.adamson-Watt

"Up grade to beach villa "

La Flora Resort & Spa is also called