Good
Good

Absolutely brilliant holiday

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"Loved it loved it loved it !!!. It was everything that has been said on the previous two reviews and more. From being greeted by Fiyaza in guest relations with a welcome flower and drink the hospitality continued. What a lovely girl she is, she made our holiday for us, we had many chats with her and had an insight into the Sri Lankan way of life.
The staff certainly make this hotel, they were all so attentive, nothing was any trouble to them.
The room we had was spacious and what a view from the balcony. Where else could you see sunsets as good as these.
Food was good. Something for everyone, from spicy curries to Sunday carvery and the sweets were irresistible. Our waiter Santa was excellent.
The service at the pool bar and restaurant is second to none. Pygall would bring our drinks to the sunbeds and the food was good too, plenty of choice.
The pool boys reserved our beds, covered all of our belongings if there was an unexpected shower and the pool was constantly cleaned.
Room boys, again really good, rooms cleaned daily and beds decorated with flowers.
Don't bother having manicures before you come out. Lovely girl Anorm did manicure and pedicure for £6. One and a half hours well spent. Also massages on the roof - so cheap!
Pradeep in the bar makes excellent cocktails and goes out of his way to help you and so friendly.
We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing break away from it all and enjoys being pampered.
We would probably not have considered Sri Lanka for a holiday but went for a wedding and it has spoilt us for other places. We will certainly be returning.
Certainly a culture shock when you first arrive but once you get over the nightmare roads and arrive at this hotel the hospitality of the staff overcomes any doubts you may have had.
We were told that the hotel will be changing to a Ramada hotel.
We are sure with a big name behind them they can only go from strength to strength. We wish them well."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of September 2006

Great Holiday

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"After reviewing the hotel on this website I was in two minds about what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. When We first arrived I was a little shocked by the shabby appearance of the bathrooms mainly and the dark corridors but given a couple of days, I was more than pleased with the Golden Sun. The staff are something else, so polite, so sweet, so obliging, your wish was their command, nothing was too much for them. If I had to single anyone out in particular it would be Deepal - oh and Francis, and of course Nishan, our room boy whiose name I have temporarily forgotten - and a few more. They were all fabulous and made our stay a really memorable one. I would recommend this hotel to anyone (but not really for kids as limited things for them). The only critisism I would make is of the bathroom - shabby and not that easy to get ready in - and no full length mirror and rather dim lighting. I will go back again and wish I was still there now! The food was good, both buffet and a la carte - no complaints with anything really but I wish they would give the bathroom a bit of a spruce up!!"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of September 2006

Fantastic!!!

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"What a lovely place to stay! The hotel itself has a choice of either rooms or separate cabanas with both being clean and of high standard. The staff are not only friendly but seem to enjoy welcoming guests, even the pool cleaners are always smiling. Management go to great lengths to make guests feel comfortable. The hotel has all inclusive packages as well as independent travellers and business guests so the breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets are extensive, hot and varied. There is also the chance to see local weddings as the hotel is sometimes used for receptions. The pool is spotless with a small in-pool bar and the gardens are edged by the beach. Definitely highly recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

GOLDEN SUN KALUTARA

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"WE have just returned from SRI LANKA GOLDEN SUN HOTEL we were overwelmed by the curtyesy and friendliness of the sri lankans.the hotel was superb excellent food and cleanliness all the staff couldnt do enough for us .We had our doubts going in june but the weather was great with a lovely breeze , 1 day of showers.We did a 3 day tour taking in kKANDY SIRIGIYA and of course the ELEPHANT ORPHANAGE .Personally we would not recommend the GOLDEN SUN for young children as there were no facilities other than a see saw. We will be returning next year. We really cannot praise this hotel and staff enough."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of June 2006

Super holiday

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a two week stay at the Golden Sun Hotel which was excellent. The staff were helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble, the rooms spacious and the food very good. I used the gym frequently in order to help loose the pounds I put on from the delicious desserts that were served at each meal. Can't wait to go back to this tropical paradise and can thoroughly recommend it."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

Fantastic

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Golden Sun for 2 weeks from 20th Feb - 7th March and had a really great time.

The Lobby
The hotel is beyond the railway line and as you aproach you kind of wonder where you are going, until you get to the front entrance and then you see a large reception area which opens out into a conservatory type area that overlooks the pool and wonderful Indian Ocean views. The reception is a little tired and is planned for a bit of a spruce up this year. Unlike the previous reviewer it got better and better for us.
The Pool
The pool was great, huge and was kept clear of insects and sand (from the beach metres away) by the very attentive pool boys and life guards. I know because I spent 50% of my time submerged or semi-submerged in the pool, or exercising during the daily Aqua Aerobics - taken by the very charming Sports Activity Supervisor, Nishan.
The Restaurant
We had an excellent choice of food and the only problem we encountered was resisting the fabulous choice of desserts. The buffet was not always kept as warm as it could have been, but we had no tummy problems at all and heard very few guests complaining. The food was spicy and if you are not used to that, the pasta or more European choices may be a safer bet if you have a sensitive tummy.
The Rooms
We stayed in the main hotel rather than the cabanas, so cannot comment on them. I heard no building noise during our time around the pool next to the cabanas or pool bar. Our room was large, airy, clean and what looked to be recently decorated. No problems with bugs or ants.
The Staff
What was special about the hotel was the staff, they could not have been more helpful or attentive. There is always service with a smile - I have not smiled so much on holiday as it was contagious. One of the bulbs in our room went on our second last day and it was fixed in minutes and the room boys regularly decorated our room with fresh flowers and even balloons on one occasion, which brought yet further smiles to our faces.
Entertainment
There is some evening entertainment laid on with local dancers, snake charmer, dicso or even if you are up for it karioke some nights (no problem at all with noise).
Overall
The size of the hotel is just right lots of space around the pool to get into the sun or shade, and while we were there a really nice and freindly atmosphere between the guests.

I really have no complaints at all and would not hesitate to return to my friends at the Golden Sun."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of March 2006

Hotel from hell

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We arrived at this hotel after a fantastic week touring Sri Lanka, staying at lovely hotels. Our disappointment was immediate - the exterior and lobby area where we were greeted is very shabby. The more we saw, the worse it got. The pool is filthy, with many broken and cracked tiles and surrounded by smooth paving which is a health hazard when wet. The shower by the pool was black with algae. The leaky skylight and mouldy stairrail and carpet in the main building were beyond belief! We had paid a supplement for a cabana room by the beach. These rooms were still being refurbished following the tsunami and this area of the hotel was very much a building site, with high levels of noise, strong smells of varnish and paint and unlit pathways which were dangerous at night. Our room was infested with ants and generally very disapponting. The restaurant did not compensate for our disappointment. The buffet was lukewarm at best and several of our party suffered gastric problems while staying there. We were fortunate in that our rep moved us to another hotel so we only had two nights here and did not have to put up with it any longer. However, had we seen the reviews which we have subsequently seen on holidaywatchdog, we would never have booked this hotel in the first place."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of March 2006

Excellent!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"We loved this hotel, our rooms were beautiful - everything seemed brand new, including the bathroom. The staff were really friendly and really attentive. The food was great, including the seven course meal we had on Christmas Eve! The hotel is right on the beach and the view from our room was amazing, especially at sunset.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

We stayed there after an exhausting tour of the cultural triangle and so just relaxed for a week so we couldn't comment on Kalutara itself."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

A bit disappointing

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"We had high hopes for the "beach" portion of our Sri Lanka travels and were somewhat disappointed by the Golden Sun. First off, Kalutara is sort of a stop-on-the-road town. The beach is nice and this hotel is right on it. Views from the balcony were lovely. The hotel itself is somewhat shabby. Its so big, it must be difficult to keep it up. The pool is quite nice and service was very good. The dining hall and lobbies were depressing though. Our room was nicer than the common spaces, with AC and hot water, but there was a pipe leak and it was quite musty. Decor was outdated.

If you are in this area, do visit the Bentota Turtle Hatchery about 20 min. away. It was an interesting stop. If I came again, I'd stay elsewhere, maybe in the Galle Fort area where the town is more charming and either find a simple budget hotel that is clean and well located, or a small, expensive boutique hotel. This one is something in between the two...."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of January 2006

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"The Golden Sun Resort Kalutara.
So, what is there to say about this lovely hotel in Sri Lanka, well, actually there is lots, but space will stop me, but here goes.
This hotel is in my opinion a fabulous place to go for a very relaxed and enjoyable holiday, where all your needs are extremely well looked after by the general manager Mr Upul Gamage and his wonderfully attentive staff, this means everyone from the reception staff to the gardeners too, it would be unfair to single any out really, but a special thanks to Pyal in the pool bar for his never ending stream of cooling drinks during the vey hot days.
But really, everyone there made me feel very much at home, and... to my soon to be Sri Lankan fiancee too, so to everyone a HUGE thank you for that.
Accomdation:
Huge spacious rooms,spotlessly kept clean, all with sea view.(nice flower arranging on beds by room boys too)
All rooms with air conditioning, balconies and safes too.
Facilities:
Excellent all round, and even an up to date gym and sauna to try to keep those extra kilos at bay!
Food:
Excellent array of food for breakfast, lunch & dinner, and mind out for those extra kilos at the dessert counter though!
Service:
Well, what can i say here, absolutley marvellous all round, could not be better.
So, all in all, i can honestly say that The Golden Sun is a fab place to go and relax for anyone needing a holiday to unwind, and i will be returning thee for a month in January 2006, so Upul, see you on Sunday 29th, oh and don't forget, we have a little matter of an engagement to see to, yes Ayanthi, and me!!, see you then, and once again, a HUGE thank you for mylast holiday with you."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of December 2005