Good

New hotel with great amenities

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We went to Cebu on the first of the three major trips and we chose Imperial Palace because it's new and they have awesome pools - especially for kids and kids-at-heart. The property is huge - in fact, it even has some villas on the property that is being sold to the public and they actually have a golf cart that can bring you to the rest of the place if you are not fond of walking.

We loved our stay just because the hotel truly has all the possible amenities you can think of and the locals who work there are so nice and polite - it's always good when the people who work in the hospitality industry truly are hospitable! :)

One major cons that I can think of though is it's location. It's not bad in a sense - it's just for the kind of vacation we want, we were thinking of doing something truly local (sinugba, etc) for food and have a quick sightseeing of the locale. We could have used their complimentary shuttle I guess but that will take away from our stay so we did not go to the 'city' anymore. I guess that's the whole point of having a huge place like this - that they make it quite inconvenient for you to go out - so you are 'trapped' (for lack of a better word) to stay put and utilize the restaurants/shops onsite.

Their restaurants are not bad though. The complimentary buffet breakfast has a big spread / variety and the locals who work there are truly friendly, accommodating and hardworking. In fact, they are so tolerant of some of the unruly behaviour of some hotel guests that I kinda felt that they are overextending themselves. Somehow, I wish that some people will know how to 'behave' socially as some of the hotel guests we saw on our stay truly are disgusting! :( (ie people cutting on the line / jumping ahead for food; someone pushing another one because they don't know how to say Excuse me - this guy shoved another person while on the elevator! que horror!!! and finally, we had to say something to this guy who instead of using the tongs or serving cutlery for food, used their bare hands to do so in a buffet - seriously!!!!)

Bottomline, we had fun and the service was great and we will probably go back if we are in Cebu again. We just hope that there are better behaved people in the area next time!"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of February 2010

I wont recommend this resort

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"imagine we paid last December and yet the front desk told us we dont have a reservations??? and secondly, they gave us a king size bed without even asking us if we want to have a two twin bed or king sized bed? poor service.. the front desk told my friend that i requested for a king bed. but i dont remember i have a request about the king bed... so meaning im a lyer??? i have to check with my travel agency if i really requested for a king bed. and on our check out day itself the staff chase us and told us that we have to pay our room coz the payment we made last december is not on their record.. see the hassle? and its a shame that they have to chase us bec we are leaving the hotel already.. what a shame?? i have to ask my travel agent to fax the payment slip to them.. The marketing manager told me even i have the confirmation number and doesn't mean we paid already?? so why they gave us the confirmation number? This is my first time in this resort and this will be the last... and will never recommend this resort This is the first time happened in my life.. only 7000php... and for that 7000php it really give me hard time and a shameful experience.. gosh! what a shame! TERRIBLE!"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of January 2010

Huge brand new hotel with lots of amenities, but no real beach

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"stayed at the Imperial Palace over the New Year with my husband and a 12 y.o. daughter.
The hotel has lots of amenities - good spa with massages at the average price of 40 euro, several restaurants serving Chinese, Korean, European food, nice pools greatly enjoyed by the kids, 3 water slides, jetski, parasailing, banana-rides, scuba diving, etc.
The rooms are well equipped and spacious. we stayed at the Cebu Suite - 2 bedrooms and a big living-room; free internet access provided in the rooms.
Buffet breakfast is just enormous, however 90% is Asian food, so I really missed the traditional european breakfast stuff.
For dinner don't miss the CORAL restaurant at the beach - very good seafood and a very good service.
Downsides:
What it definitely a downside is a TINY beach, 50 meters long at most, with just a few sunbeds...and forget about snorkeling there, there is no fish at all.
For snorkeling they offer an island-hopping tour to the neighbor island on a traditional philippino boat called Banka. DO NOT go there - waste of time and money - it's a 45 minutes ride one way, which gets you to the dead reef, where if you are lucky enough, you'll see a bunch of tiny grey fish and if you aren't lucky enough, you'll get a sting from a jellyfish (which I got, while trying to locate some fish; unfortunately the guides have not told us that this might happen, so sudden feeling of stinging and burning all along my arm was quite unexpected and not enjoyable at all!!!!)
Also, the hotel has no nightlife at all and there are no attractions in the neighborhood.

Generally, although the hotel has a lot to offer, the service is a disaster - the staff is poorly trained and incompetent, however extremely friendly. Anyway, you have to ask at least twice for anything and then double check that it's gonna happen as you expect it to - we had issues with booking a massage, New Year party reservation, receiving laundry, etc.
Hopefully, this is all because the hotel is recently opened, and will improve fast to make the resort really worth visiting."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of January 2010

They moved PIC in Guam to Cebu!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"That was what my son said as soon as we entered the open-air lobby! This resort is a simpler version of the Pacific Islands Club in Guam (which we visited last year) - different towers, a buffet restaurant, several pools, a pirate-themed kiddie water play area, slides, etc. Adults can actually enjoy the lazy river - the tubes could actually carry our weight. Part of the river was also a wave pool.

We got a suite room and we loved it! Nice view, spacious balcony and living room, 2 flat screen TVs, a microwave, a daybed and a bar with four stools. The kids were tired at the end of the day so we ended up ordering room service two nights in a row. The selection was quite good plus we also a enjoyed a 30% discount on food and beverage which made dining in the resort even more tempting. The ocean view rooms were not bad, too. The garden view rooms were actually parking-lot-view rooms.

The breakfast included in our package should have been renamed brunch buffet - maki, soba, congee, dimsum, pancakes, bulgogi, three kinds of rice, fresh fruit juices, local dishes. No one felt like moving after breakfast so we ended up taking another nap at 11 am. Please don't mention the word "lunch" :)

The bellhop told us that the hotel had only been operating for a few months so I will excuse the mini-glitches since they didn't really inconvenience us that much anyway. Let me just say that we will be back, maybe with five families in tow so that our kids can have a ball. And this time, I am not taking the one hour shuttle to Ayala Cebu, We'll put on our bathing suits and just laze around the whole day..."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of January 2010

Pretty good place, nothing too fancy, but service is atrocious!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The place is quite nice. New and clean. However, it is not very flash or fancy. We got 'upgrades' for our rooms. The reason being was that the rooms we booked for were dirty. We were very delighted about the upgrade but it was the reason behind it was suspicious because the place was nearly empty. Still, upgrade is good. Rooms were nice and new. Nothing too fancy though. Big flat screen TVs in our upgraded suite. Two toilets, though I don't see the need for two.

The place claims to be a water park. There are only 3 larger water slides. They were pretty average. There was a kids pool that was pretty cool though. It had jets of water coming up from all directions. Would be great for primary school kids. There was also a pool you went round in. You sat on an inflatable thing and let the current take you along. Pretty average too, not very exciting. Connected to this pool was a small wave pool that had 1 hour cycles, so it was on 1 hour and off another. Lifeguards were everywhere to make sure everybody was safe though.

The breakfast has the largest range of foods I have ever seen in a hotel. It had all the items you expect plus a range of korean, japanese and filipino food. Hot waffles, pancakes and french toast were also in the buffet. 5 different fresh juices were also available. Breakfast was tops.

Now for the bad parts. The price of ALL the water sports were ridiculously priced! Do not try to use their motor powered facilities like jetski and boats. Heavily over priced to rip off non-locals. For Island hopping, they charged P3,000++ per person. However, you could rent the whole boat for 10-16 people for P2,500.

The worst part of the hotel is by far the service! The concierge literally seems like they have only been to the island for a day. They know nothing about the island, or popular locations. They couldn't even tell us about their own hotel's water sport facilities. They make you go to the water sport section which is a considerable walk away. They only look through a folder with some information on it. They have no knowledge of spots that only a local would know because they themselves are not locals. They tried to help, they were just completely incompetent. The items in the folder contain restaurants that are catered to tourists, so they are extremely over priced. So really, they are of no help at all!

Also, I lost my passport on the plane there. I asked several times for the reception to see if they could find it. Every single time, they did not get back to me to inform me as to whether or not my passport had been retrieved. After two days I had to go to the police station to report my loss. However, upon arrival at the airport to go back home, I checked one more time with the information and immediately, my passport was found. I don't know if it was the reception or the people the reception called, but they were absolutely incompetent in locating my passport.

Conclusion:
If you plan to just chill by the pool, then it is actually a nice place. Don't expect anything too fancy with the pools. They're nice, nothing special though. Though breakfast is excellent.

However, if you plan to go do some water sports, you would get fully ripped off, but I guess you can have a good time.

Finally, if you plan to do anything outside of the hotel, do NOT stay at this hotel! Service is atrocious! Concierge are completely useless! Do NOT bother asking for any advice from them."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of December 2009

Great for young children!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"For young children, this is a fabulous place to stay and enjoy. My 3-year old daughter can spend her entire day at the two pools specifically for young children. They also have a kid's club with the usual slides and other entertainment for the younger crowd.

The food choices at the buffets are great at this place, although on the expensive side (for locals like me). Accommodation is superb, especially at the suites with an iPod docking station, two LCD TVs (one in the bedroom, one outside), a microwave oven and an extra toilet.

There are limited options on what one can do after dinner at this place though. Another small gripe is the hotel might consider adding more elevators as the two existing elevators are often full."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of December 2009

Never Again -- Chintzy 5-Star Resort!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"What a shock it was to find the green water in the river pool, which is indicative of the presence of algae (and even smelled algae-ish). When I asked the waiter about it, he claims that this was caused by the rain and had no plans to shut down this area to get rid of it.

At the breakfast brunch, they served the most awful muddy-tasting coffee I've ever had. Even the first cup from a fresh cup didn't help.

The worst part was the room temperature -- they had a thermostat which allowed you to set your own temperature. Unfortunately, I spent 20 minutes in the middle of the night watching it never go above 24 degrees (had set it at 20). Finally called Maintenance at 3am, only to be told that it was centrally controlled and there was nothing they can do. So spent a sleepless uncomfortable night in a 5-star hotel!

The best thing I can say about this hotel is the friendly accommodating staff. Housekeeping and maintenance responded to my 3am call in 10 minutes."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of November 2009

Paying in advance allows you to live in luxury at an affordable price

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We stayed at this brand new hotel for 5 nights in October 2009. We booked more than 10 days ahead and prepaid, allowing us to avail of the 6,000 php (garden view room) a night rate. Now, admittedly I am unsure if this is a "local" rate (available only to resident/returning Filipinos) or if this is available to everyone. I am inclined to think it's a local rate because on top of the fantastic room rate (which includes a sumptuous buffet breakfast), it includes a 30% local discount for food and beverage orders.

We were anxious to check in and hoped they would allow us to check in early, and they did. We checked into the hotel at 11:00 am and they also gave us a complimentary upgrade to a seaview room. For the price that we were paying, this was unexpected, but certainly welcome!

The rooms were fantastic. Large, with a balcony overlooking the extensive grounds. The roomservice was priced only a fraction more expensive than ordering it from the restaurants. Slippers, bathrobes, toiletries were also in the room. A standard mini-bar and DVD player were also present. They had two bottle of complimentary water, replenished daily. I made use of their laundering facilities and if I recall correctly, it cost 140 php to get a dress shirt pressed. This was using next day service. They had an evening turn-down service and one night they even left a bowl of fresh fruit. A very nice touch to the hotel room was the ipod docking station which allowed me to both charge my ipod and also play my own music whilst in the room.

The only downside to the hotel would be the bathroom/shower combination. I am a fan of hotel rooms where these are kept separate. You need to be careful with how you position yourself in the bath, otherwise you could be left with a wet bathroom floor, due to some, in what I would say, a design fault with how the bath is laid into the marble. However, this was solved with positioning towels in certain areas and having them changed daily. Not ideal, but it was a minor inconvenience in what was otherwise a perfect room.

Upon booking the room we were given a tour and there are obviously differing decor in their rooms. We had a pastel themed room which in my opinion was much more easier on the eye than the "psychadelic" coloured room showed to use on an the earlier visit. We were quite happy that we had been given the room that we had!

We had eaten lunch at the Buffet Restaurant, lunch at the Chinese Restaurant, Dinner at the International Restaurant and rented a Karaoke room at their Karaoke Bar. The prices at the Karaoke bar seemed a bit steep and the drinks menu very limited. They charged 1000 php an hour for a small karaoke room. But this room would easily fit 8 or so people so if you are entertaining, it's not so bad. We were only two so 1 hour was enough! I would say that the Chinese Restaurant gets the highest reviews from me. It was quality Chinese food (not the Filipinoized Chinese food that you typically get in most places) with excellent, attentive service. Dim Sum was reasonably priced. The daily breakfast served in Familia was excellent. They had live cooking stations where you could have korean noodles, sushi or eggs made to order. Fresh juices and pastries were available and the hot foods ranged from Korean/Filipino cuisine to pancakes, waffles and french toast.

Of course, last but not least, we can't forget the water park itself. The extensive pool area is fantastic for swimmers and non-swimmers alike. They have lots of places to lounge, cabanas for rent equiped with PS3s, TVs and waiter service, large waterslides, a "lazy" river around the pool area, a good poolside bar (Aqua) and a small beach. You don't come here for the beach so I would not comment much on that. There's a small pier for you to enjoy the sea air and a seaside restaurant which we didn't have the chance to try. They also have watersports available (which I believe some were included in our rate believe it or not!)

We must give special note to the staff. The breakfast staff remembered that I liked honey tea and would bring know to bring it in the morning. They were attentive without being intrusive and quick to clear your old plate when you returned for more food at the buffet.

All in all we heartily recommend this resort and without a doubt, if the pre-pay offer is still available when we return to Cebu, we would stay there again in a heartbeat!"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of November 2009

Imperial Palace Waterpark Resot!

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"This is one of the nicest resorts in Philippines. There is plenty to do, drink, eat and it`s a lot of FUN!!!!!!!!!

This Resort Has:
* Spa
* Gym
* Sonar
And many more....

I do recommend this place for people to visit, trust me i`ve been there and loved it heaps. I never wanted to leave that place hehehe!!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of October 2009

Simply Great

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I was there as a tourist against entrance fee to use the pool facilities approx. a month prior to their grand openeing. The ticket included also the buffet. I have never had such a seclection of food in my life though I have spent as a business trveller a quarter of my life
in 5-Star Hotel. The selection was offered on 5 different counters within the restaurant serving italian, thai, korean, local and mayn other styles. That was the most impressive buffet ever seen in my life. Also the pool and waterpark area was amazing. I can definetely recommend this hotel to anybody planning to come to Cebu."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of September 2009