Kuramathi Island Resort

Honeymoon in Paradise

Reviewed Mon 2nd of March 2015

"My husband and I spent the most amazing 12 days of our married lives so far on this amazing Island.
The location of this island is the most perfect for snorkelling along the amazing coral reef. It's mind blowing.
The Service is impeccable on this island. You're treated like royalty. It's very humbling.
There is nothing I disliked I promise you! Absolutely nothing.
The things I liked are everything from the time in Male airport to the lounge in the airport waiting to board the sea plane the exceptional services started.

The accommodation is 1st class always cleaned and kept stocked with clean towels for the beach as well as for use in the rooms. We stayed in a deluxe beach villa at e top end of the island, which I recommend if you are on your own and want to be more private.
If you go with family children or another couple the further end of the island near the infinity pool would probably suit you more. There's a lot more going on down there.
Please don't get me wrong there's always something to do any where on the island but it seemed to be busier there.

There seems to be so much room for everyone there was a full island when we were there as February seems to be a popular time to visit, but believe me you always seem to be the only ones there. It's Never over crowded any where!

The food is out of this world. Al la carté means top notch food, service and exceptional cleanliness.

Ladies make up not needed! No high heels needed flip flops if you like but most of the time I was barefoot.
There are sandy floors in some of the restaurants. So during the day we were mostly barefoot.
Evenings we did wear flip flops just because you kind of feel a bit more dressed up in the evenings.

The cocktails are amazing! They work so hard to give you the best they can do!
Enjoy them.
Although the drinks are included in the al la carté menu some how you don't over indulge. You don't need to, you're always high on the ambiance of every where you are on this island.

The fruit bays are so special to see, the reef is a must and the beautiful song of the bird that seems to be the only one there, must be captured on video so you can remind yourself of it when you return home.

The fish almost become your best friends the sharks too, I find myself missing them so much. They are so beautiful and they seem to welcome you into their world. It's truly amazing.

If you have a bucket list, put kuramathi in it! Start saving today! You must go to paradise!
You must experience this island."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of March 2015

PARADISE!!!

Reviewed Sun 1st of July 2012

"My wife and I were lucky enough to spend our honeymoon here. I know I will just be echoing previous reviews but here is my take on it:

We arriverd by sea-plane at an extra cost of £90-00 each. It was more than worth it as you fly relatively low-level and get to see so many of the wonderful islands and atolls. The colours of the sea are incredible. It's an amazing way to start your holiday.
You then land at a small floating jetty and are taken to land by a long boat.

The island is very low-lying with very full vegitation so you walk down the jetty and into what looks like a tropical desserted island. In just this short walk you see many fish in the crystal waters including reef sharks. They are small and harmless.

The reception is a large open wooden pavillion and you are greeted with a tasty cool drink whilst guests are booked in.

We had a beach villa and although it would've been great to stop in a water villa with jaccuzzi, you could not fault it. It was large, very clean, well appointed, of a tropical feel and the private outside shower was amazing. Having a shower outside in the tropical heat surrounded by palm trees stretching up to the blue sky.

The island is beautiful and well worth walking around. The sandbank at the top of the island is very special and often we would walk up and watch the sunset and then walk down to the Laguna bar and watch the sting ray feeding with a coule of cocktails. A must do!

The waters are unbelievebly clear and as you look out to sea the colours change through varying turquoises at different depths. I genuinely have never been anywhere as beautiful or unique as The Maldives.

The sealife waere incredible. You only had to walk in and lots of different fish just swim past you.
The different colours are breathtaking. At first you ferel slightly edgy when you see the sharks (about 3 feet long) but you soon get used to them. I did see a a shark that was at least 5 ft long but I was quite far out and it was not interested in me in the slightest.
Something happened that will stay with me forever. There is a small island across from Kuramathi, where provisions and waste etc are kept. Some people complained about being able to see it but its a hotel, a working island and these provisions have to be kept somewhere before distribution. There is obviously a natural channel between these two islands and on one of the days we were sat on the beach, sipping a cocktail by the infinity jaccuzzi when something caught my eye. A pod of dolphins came through the channel. Everyone rushed to the water to watch them. They were about 100m out and starting jumping. We were treated to a natural dolphin display. It was the most incredible thing ever to see them doing this in their natural envroment and not in those cruel aquatic shows.They came back through are were only about 20 feet out!

Every member of staff we met, from beach cleaners and gardeners to maitre d's, were very polite and very professional. We were waited on hand and foot without any sense of rush or intrusion. The staff took the trip from excellent to perfection.

The bars have a blend of tropical and elegance. Sipping your favourite drink on a sun deck looking out over the most beautiful sea. Is there anything more relaxing?

Lastly, my most favourite pastime, FOOD! We went A La Carte all inclusive. If you book Kuramathi, upgrade to this. Don't look at the cost as it is more than worth it. Every meal we had was a romantic evening out with excellent food and the best of service. I can't express just how good the food is. My personal favourite was The Island Barbeque. The food at all restaurants were of the same high standards but the atmosphere here was my favourite. You had intimate and romantic at the others but there was a really nice buzz here.
We dined outside on the sundeck, clear skies above us gazing at the moon and stars. You're just by the beach and can hear the waves gently breaking. There was nice background music coming from the sand bar. You must order the pork ribs and the steak that is dramatically flambeed at your table.

If you are looking to spend your honeymoon or holiday somewhere beautiful and tropical, with as much or as little as you want to do whilst eating the nicest food with the best service, look no further than Kuramathi.

Lastly I would like to mention Bluebay Travel. They were the team we booked through and have done ever since. They are excellent and always secure the best package at the lowest price with the greatest of service. I strongly reccommend you give them a try. If you would be so kind please mention me, Oliver Payne, because as a self-employed decorator I know how important customer referral is and would love them to know their customers are as loyal as they are. I believe who you book through is just as big a part of your holiday as the trip itself. It's where it all starts."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2012

Good in parts but if you're booking through Vogue Travel or KUONI read this first

Reviewed Mon 20th of April 2009

"We booked through Vogue Travel who sold us a KUONI holiday and unfortunately we had quite a few problems. Initially we were looking to travel to Kuramathi village and had been quoted a price for a deluxe room which we wanted to book. We were then just about to pay when we were told that unfortunately the deluxe room wasn't available and so we had the choice of standard or superior. We had a look on the website and both looked fine but we went for the superior room. We were also told it was very likely that a deluxe room would become available and it was never mentioned to us that we would have to pay more than originally quoted to upgrade.

When we arrived after a very long flight (Air Sri Lanka which was quite good) we took the speed boat transfer which was late leaving due to a problem with the boat. The boat trip was actually quite refreshing and nice after a long dry flight but we were pretty surprised when we arrived at Kuramathi. There was a local (non tourist) Island very close by that had a large mast on it which was a bit of an eye sore. The Island of Kuramathi however looked very pretty and we were welcomed nicely as we arrived on the Island. We were given a welcome drink in reception while we awaited our keys. Unfortunately when we were shown to our room it was extremely disappointing. The bedroom itself was very dark, had a very nasty smell (similar to toilets) and the bathroom was extremely old, with hardly any ventilation and had black grout between the tiles. We had also been promised a room on the beach and ours was set back from the beach. At first we assumed there had been a mistake with room allocations as we had booked a superior room, so we went back to reception and explained the situation. They agreed that we were not in a superior room but were in a standard bungalow and said that the Island was fully booked so we could not have another room. They said that KUONI had a different room classification system to Kuramathi Village which had caused the problem. They advised us to speak to the KUONI rep the next day and that another room was likely to come up. We weren’t happy but had no choice so went back to our room. Reception staff weren’t great on customer service either. If you weren’t happy they didn’t really seem to care.

The next day we saw our KUNONI rep who eventually (after 3 days in the horrible smelly dark room) moved us to a deluxe room. But the catch was that we had to pay $30 dollars a night plus 10% service charge to move to the room! This was over double what we had been quoted for the deluxe room when we had been in the UK. All in all, we weren’t too impressed with the KUONI rep who could mostly be found eating in the restaurant or drinking and smoking in the bar.

Once we were in the deluxe room (room 6) everything was fine. The room was great, clean and modern with lovely outside bathroom and 4 poster bed. There were no TVs in any rooms, no mini bar and no tea and coffee making facilities. However, where we were was close to the restaurant, bar and coffee shop so pretty good on location. We also had a lovely view of the sea, which was about 10 metres away which was great. Food was good, there was a buffet every night in the main restaurant which had something for everyone. We were on an All Inclusive package which I would recommend as the restaurants were expensive and so were the cocktails. We ate one night in the Island Barbeque which was lovely, all the food was cooked for you at the table and it was right on the beach. It did come at a price though – about £50 a head. Cocktails were about $10 each if you weren’t on the all inclusive package. The all inclusive bar was nice, as were the cocktails. Favourite moments were spent sitting on bean bags on the beach at night, watching the stars by candle light.

Another quite disappointing thing about the Island was the black rocks in wire cages which lined the coast line about 15 metres out to sea. These were a bit of an eye sore and you won’t see any of these in the holiday brochures!

The Island itself was really well tended and cared for, pretty flowers and trees. The South West side of the Island is the bit to avoid staying in though as it is least cared for. It has the old rooms that we stayed in first, and a football pitch, an old ship that they appeared to be renovating and various buildings for the workers. According to the KUNOI rep rooms in this part of the Island were 25 years old so you can understand why they were in need of updating!

We did walk all around the Island and saw accommodation in the different parts. It was undoubtedly better in the Blue Lagoon and Cottage, but some of the water villas were over dark rocks which would not have been ideal for swimming.

Really enjoyed the snorkelling and swimming with the little friendly reef sharks and amazing fish. The sea was beautiful, clear and clean. Really recommend the Robinson Crusoe trip to a nearby deserted Island.

All in all, we had a nice holiday once we have relocated rooms, but next time we go to the Maldives we’d be looking to go to a different Island.

• Travel date: Sun 19th of April 2009

was easy through Blue Bay Travel where...

Reviewed Sun 25th of May 2008

" was easy through Blue Bay Travel where we saved about £300 on the Kuoni price. Flight was direct with Monarch, a bit cramped but ok. You can fly Sri Lankan or Emirates but not direct and it costs more. A Premium class upgrade is available on Monarch but they get booked very quickly.
Transfer from Male was a 20 minute seaplane flight, well worth the extra £22 each way. The alternative is a speedboat which takes about 1½ hours and can be uncomfortable if the weather is bad.
Last year we went in April and had no rain at all. This year (May 4th-19th) we had a couple of days of rain.
Accomodation
We had a Superior Bungalow literally on the beach, less than 20 feet from the sea. 2 showers, one outdoor and one indoor. Air-con and a huge 4 poster bed, basic but kept very clean by the room boys. Tip them well, they deserve it. The beach was swept clean every day. Any reported problems with plumbing etc are dealt with very quickly.
Food
We were all-inclusive so we used the main restaurant for all our meals. My wife has to be careful what she eats but the buffet style setup with lots of choice was ideal for her. Both of us could always find something delicious. I had a fresh omelette most mornings but there is cereal, fruit, fish curry(!) etc. Everything has lots of flavour and they always have fresh salads at lunch and dinner. The all-inclusive bar (which includes water and cocktails) is open all day and stays open until the last customer leaves.
The highlight of the holiday is the superb snorkelling. You can always see reef sharks (harmless), turtles, rays and dozens of beautiful fish species including anemone fish. Dolphins often swim past. I did an introductory diving course this year which was fun. There are also watersports such as catamaran sailing and windsurfing. The spa is superb. A sunset cruise is included in the price of the holiday.
There is a long sandbank from which you can take superb sunset photographs. Don't miss the sting ray feeding at 6.30 every evening.
There is a gym which I promised myself I would go to every day but I never went once - I never seemed to have the time. Although this is a large island by Maldives standards at about 1 mile long and there are 3 resorts on it, the beaches were always quiet and you could usually find a secluded spot with no people.
We love this beautiful island and would go back again at the first opportunity. In the Village resort you could spend 2 weeks there and never wear shoes! Just our sort of holiday.
Last year was a 10/10 but I have scored this years holiday 9/10 because it was a a bit noisy in the morning as the boats started up and it was a bit smelly because they were pumping sand onto the beach. When we complained, they stopped the sand pumping and offered to move us to a different (quieter) bungalow. Also we had a Premium flight upgrade last year which made the flight more tolerable.

• Travel date: Sun 25th of May 2008

I've just arrived home after a wonderful...

Reviewed Fri 9th of May 2008

"I've just arrived home after a wonderful holiday on Kuramathi and am already planning my next trip back!

The flight was long and laborious but I was prepared for this and accepted it. I flew with Sri Lankan Airlines and didn't encounter any problems, the cabin crew were great - friendly and approachable.

I spent the first 11 days in Sri Lanka seeing the cultural highlights - lots of travelling and sightseeing so I was ready for my 10 days on Kuramathi doing very little.

The sea plane transfer took 25 minutes and was great fun - I would highly recommend this - the cost was only £40 return. The plane did two drops so I got two take-offs and landings - I loved it!

All the staff on the island were extremely courteous and respectful. After a few days they were laughing and joking with me and I felt very comfortable there.

Although the Maldives are typically a honeymoon destination I travelled alone and didn't feel lonely at all. It was a safe environment and whenever I went out snorkelling my room boy always kept an eye on me to make sure I came back safely. The snorkelling was great - snorkelling safaris from other islands would come to Kuramathi - that says something! On my next visit to the island I will definitely do some scuba diving.

The entertainment was varied - Terri (singer) and James (musician) were fab - I really enjoyed the karaoke night! However if you just want a quiet drink the surroundings are such that you can find a peaceful spot if you want to.

The cocktails - what can I say? Just fantastic and all included in the price! 10 days wasn't enough time to try them all - I'll just have to go back!!

The food was absolutely superb - when I commented on this I was informed that they had employed a new head chef - so if anyone's been before and was disappointed with the food they should go again! There was so much to choose from - different themes etc.

Overall, I had a wonderful time on Kuramathi and would recommend it to all - great value for money."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of May 2008

This was a lovely island to stay on and...

Reviewed Tue 15th of April 2008

"This was a lovely island to stay on and although the flight was long (as expected), the island more than made up for it. Try and take the seaplane from Male which takes around 35 minutes. The boat trip was 2 hours and a little bumpy! The restaurant serves up some lovely food. The bar stays open until the last person leaves and opens again if you enter! Cocktails are included in the AI package - try "The Blue Maldives". Adoo, our waiter, got to know what we drank with our meals and we didn't need to ask him for drinks - he would watch out for us and fetch our drinks to the table - excellent service all round on this island. If you don't snorkel - learn. You will miss so much if you don't. The reef sharks don't bother you - they do get bigger the further out you go, but they really are not interested in you and will swim away. The sea-life is fantastic. Don't miss the wrays being fed at 6pm - yes, fed. A little man gets in the water with the wrays, they obviously know it's feeding time and he hand feeds them - great to watch and don't forget your camera. I must say I was a little concerned that I would get bored for 2 weeks - but I just did not want to come home and could have stayed for much much longer. Entertainment every night. The locals play football most days and if you go to watch they invite you to join in - there doesn't seem to be too many rules though!! Don't take my what I say as gospel - go and find out for yourself - you won't be disappointed - Kuramathi is a great first time island if you haven't been to The Maldives before - that said, I will certainly be visiting there again in the future and I just can't wait."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of April 2008

Fab holiday, weather poor at begining of...

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2008

"Fab holiday, weather poor at begining of the week but got better.

Half board basis and more than enough food to eat and choose from.

All inclusive would have been too much and we would have bewen unable to eat all meals and not everything is inclusive-beware!!!!!

Sea fantastic beware of the diving and snorkl;ing trip as the boat takes you out to the end of the reef up the lagoon near villas 326 & 327-this is a waste of money as if you are at the blue lagoon resort it is minutes away and if you are at the other end of the island-it is max 40 min walk.

Fab holiday and duty free is amazing-and cheap!!!!!!

We are going back next year"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of January 2008

Excellent holiday-highly reccomended for...

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2008

"Excellent holiday-highly reccomended for anyone making a trip here.

Food excellent, weather excellent, extremely clean and friendly.

Amazing trip to the local island of Rasdhoo shopping. This is a real contrast to the fantasy island of Kuramathi.

Planning our next trip already,

We spent £100 on tips for the week that we were there but be aware that everything you spend is put on your key number and you recieve a bill at the end of the week!!!!!

Have a gudn' if you decide to go."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of January 2008

This was a suprise holiday booked for my...

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2008

"This was a suprise holiday booked for my partners 40th.

It was a fantastic holiday and are planning to go back. People are friendly and the weather was amazing.

We had our own bit of beach 15ft from our beach bungalow leading onto the sea.

This is the best part of the island although the other parts of it is nice, it was the more attractive, leading up onto the sand banks.

Sea was lovely to snorkel in and the photo's have turned out like postcards-just from a digital camer!!!!

Highly reccomended.

We flew with Monach Airlines and both there and back the plane was manically busy.

Enjoy if you go."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of January 2008

Fantastic place for any occasion. We sta...

Reviewed Wed 31st of January 2007

"Fantastic place for any occasion. We stayed in a beach bungalow that is one of about 30 semis.

Food good and varied. All Inclusive recommended as you will drink plenty of water.
All inclusive here means almost everything. The few drinks that were not included, were not the sort we drink anyway.

Snorkeling gear included as are towels for the beach. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Blue ray feeding has to be seen to be believed!

Monarch flights the worst part of the holiday and will never be part of any holidays for us again.

About the best deal for food and drink out of the many islands on offer. Island beautiful and the best holiday we have ever had over the last 20 years with 2 or 3 hols a year.

Expect other Universal Resort Islands as good. Tim & Andrea."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of January 2007

Our third visit to paradise and looking...

Reviewed Sat 8th of July 2006

"Our third visit to paradise and looking to go again. The pace of life is so slow and relaxing that it is a total chill out. There is simply nothing to do on the island other than swim, eat and drink. Not a suitable holiday destination for those with young children as there is no playground etc. You can join in with the staff in their afternoon football games but be prepared as the pitch is on coral sand.

The journey there is long and the airport can only take relatively small planes so be prepared for an 11 hour flight in a plane suitable for short haul unless you opt for a stopover in Dubai but this can make the journey much longer.. The airport immigration staff are slow and the process is rather long winded.

Once you arrive on the island all this is forgotten. The staff are so helpful and respectful. The food in the all inclusive is varied and excellent quality and if you wish you can arrange to eat in any of the other restaurants on the island with your waiter and get a discount. The bar serves cocktails on the all inclusive (not all of the other islands do) and it's worth trying some of them.

The snorkelling is fantastic and the variety of sea life is amazing. If you want to go and do not swim -LEARN.

This is a fantastic resort with the emphasis on couples and peace and relaxation, just typing this makes me yearn to be back in the crystal clear, warm, safe water. The only reason this does not get a perfect 10 review is the flights.

• Travel date: Sat 8th of July 2006

We had a really great holiday. The resta...

Reviewed Thu 8th of June 2006

"We had a really great holiday. The restaurant never feels full, the food was really good. Lunch one day would be a set meal with buffet for dinner and vice versa the next day and if you don’t fancy the set meal or any part of it, there is always something else to choose from.

The accommodation is not the most luxurious but we went for the reef, the sun, the sea, the beach so to us it was great. I have been to other islands some better, some worse, this was great. Truly all inclusive, with staff that wanted to serve you. beautiful gardens, fruit bats, stingrays - watch them being fed everyday at 6.30pm. The weather was fantastic, we only went for a week and came back really brown.

The flight is long, Monarch have really bad in flight entertainment but take a really good book. To me the minute we got to the island I was relaxed and I still felt relaxed 2 weeks after coming back! That’s a good holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of June 2006

Hotels near Kuramathi Island Resort

Stayed at Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Kuramathi Island Resort

• HuskiSurrey by HuskiSurrey

"Loved the Island BBQ. Swimming and snorkelling with reef sharks was amazing. "

• Oliver Payne by Oliver Payne

"Definately do the sunset cruise and walk up to the sandbank. "

• Adavis by Adavis

"Stay north of island and go snorkleing "

Kuramathi Island Resort is also called