Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi

• paid internet
  • tennis court
  • swimup bar

Good

Not good value for money

Reviewed Thu 6th of August 2015

"I will start with the good things about this resort…the location is amazing and the gardens are well looked after. The water villas are beautiful and our butler looked after us well. I really enjoyed the snorkeling but think that there is a definite advantage to staying in the newer water villas where the water is deeper and some of the larger fish can be seen. The staff are excellent and very friendly. I have seen bad reviews of grumpy staff but did not experience this although small tips often definitely helped! The ocean villa rooms are fab - they are a good size and the beds are so comfortable. The Lohis bar over near the surf is good and has a nice a la cart lunch menu. The beach bar was good but, there needs to be more than one as this led to towel reservation of sunbeds on the nearby beach.

So now to the bad bits….
The Ocean Villas need a proper bar – to have drinks you can sit outside or sit in the poor standard restaurant. There is a beautiful glass villa at the end, looking out onto the sea, which is used by the staff as some kind of reception; this would be much better used as a bar. They really need to rethink the restaurant area, which is 3 star standard. In terms of the resort’s facilities, don’t bother to take your tennis racket with you as you could not play on this court; it is dangerous and needs completely resurfacing. The reception area, entertainment area and pool are 3 star at best and reminded me of a British holiday camp. When we tried to play table tennis we were told that there was no ball and this remained so for several days. We had a bad experience with the water sports – we had booked 30 minutes on the jet skis but when we turned up on the first day they told us that they had no petrol and then on the second day we waited for 30 minutes for the guy to turn up who, when he finally arrived, told us that we would have to share a jet ski because one was not working. We cancelled! The all-inclusive food was pretty awful and was the worst part of our holiday. The breakfast was not bad because this was over at the water villas. The rest of the food is served in the sunset restaurant where there is a buffet for lunch and dinner (only for Ocean villa residents). There is very little variety – it felt like we had pretty much the same choices every day albeit with some small changes. The chicken was always full of bones (I can cope with thigh bones but, like most westerners, I hate having lots of small bones with every mouthful). The beef was seriously over cooked. The fish (mostly tuna) was over cooked and often with sauces that did not go. In general there were some very strange mixtures/sauces. If you want western food, forget it. The only attempt was spaghetti with some kind of fairly horrible sauce. When they did Spaghetti Bolognese it was just plain beef mince with nothing else. I ended up eating Dahl every day and sometimes twice a day and both of us lost weight (never happened on holiday before). If you are only staying at this resort for a few days you might find it ok but we stayed for 12 stays and in the end we started paying (extortionate amounts!) for a la cart and bought lots of crisps and sweets in the shop (which again charges crazy prices). In between meals, there were snacks but this consisted of sandwiches and cakes (a miniscule portion) that were probably leftovers from the lunch. The thing I find strange is that the a la carte food, although ridiculously expensive, was good (they could even make a decent Bolognese!) so why was the buffet so bad? The food should not be labeled as all-inclusive; it is full board – you are given meals at set times and there is nothing in-between; not good for children (or adults who are hungry from not having eaten much at meal times!). The all-inclusive drinks were very limited – I think the advertising should be more detailed.
Overall, we had a good holiday but cannot forgive the poor food and would not recommend this resort to anyone. When you go to the Maldives you pay a lot of money and expect excellence – this is not good value for money.

• Travel date: Tue 4th of August 2015

Stunning resort far exceeded our expectaions

Reviewed Tue 1st of February 2011

"Having read many negative reviews about Hudhuranfushi I was very sceptical as we left for our holidays.
It’s a long flight and we were pretty weary when we arrived but it all seemed fairly straightforward. As we entered the arrivals hall there was a Thomson Rep who guided us to our individual rep, Madi and she was fairly prompt at getting everyone together and to the speedboat. Some reviews have commented on having to wait a long time but it all seemed efficient to us.
The speedboat ride was a whole new experience, soon blew away the cobwebs and woke us up – very exhilarating! On a serious note though we were not advised about the speed and bumpiness of the ride, if you have any major back or joint problems or are of a nervous disposition you may prefer to try and negotiate an air taxi as an alternative.
Arriving at the island after 30 minutes and the approach was breathtaking, the colour of the sea and sand stunning.
It was a quick transfer to reception for a cold towel and a drink of very sweet fruit squash but welcome all the same.
We were booked into a beach villa room 165 directly opposite the large beach and 5m to the beach bar - very good location!
The room was very clean and comfortable and was serviced twice a day. The double bed is 2 singles pushed together as many people have commented but they never came apart so I don’t see this as a problem.
The shower area of the bathroom is outside and I liked that part, having a shower and gazing at the stars, the floor is pebbles with stepping stones. The bathroom area is tiled. Most bathrooms come with a complementary lizard who is always on bug patrol!
Talking of bugs we didn’t see many, couple of ants in the bath and only one mosi seen in the bedroom. I did get bitten (my other half not once!) but I think it was from the beach.
The bedroom was very large and the air conditioner very effective at keeping it ice cold, if you like it that way.
For those of you who get withdrawal symptoms (like my other half) there is a TV with plenty of English channels…personally I couldn’t care less didn’t go to the Maldives to watch TV after all!
Plenty of bottled water is provided in your room and there are tea and coffee making facilities.
There is a free safe, fridge and hairdryer.
The bedding, towels and beach towels were changed daily and the room was swept out twice a day.
Your bed is also turned down in an evening, with the sheets folded in some lovely patterns.
The room boys do like to get started early so don’t expect to lay in too late….anyway you can continue your snoozing on the beach.
Although the resort was full nowhere was crowded and it was very quiet and peaceful most of the time. (Apart from the Chinese visitors…I’m sorry but you are a little loud at times)
We were all inclusive and this did cause a lot of debate amongst guests, there are restrictions but we didn’t feel hindered by them in any way.
Beer and local spirits are served in all of the bars but the Beach bar is only all inclusive from 10am to 6.00pm after that you would have to pay…..after 6pm Beach bar becomes the Marie Celeste!
The Lohi surf bar is only all inclusive between 4 and 7pm we only visited there once but would imagine that would also be fairly quiet after 7pm. Personally I don’t understand the logic behind the curfew times but they must have their reasons.
Cocktails and fresh fruit juices are not all inclusive and can be expensive..($8)
You can only get wine with your meals in the restaurant, only a choice of one white and red (South African) and it is perfectly drinkable.
That leads me on to the restaurant…I had read a lot of bad things about the food I think those people were eating somewhere else! The food was absolutely fine not a la carte but we hadn’t paid an a la carte price either! There was plenty of choice of hot and cold and it was all fresh and tasty. Some of the meats were a little tough on occasions but no different to many restaurants here.
You keep the same table for your stay and you have a dedicated waiter. Our waiter Sajdhee (sadyoo) was extremely attentive and very chatty, I know they are polite to get tips but none of it seemed fake.
Be aware the restaurant has a sand floor - so ladies no need to bring your best frocks and stilettos, flip flops (or bare feet) and casual is the way to go.
We did splash out one night and eat in the Sunset restaurant. It’s not cheap but the food was amazing and well worth it. (Your all inclusive drinks are still available here so you are only paying for the food)
I had the Tuna starter and Lamb for main and you could cut both with a fork…I can still taste them now!
We are not night owls so after dinner we would have a walk and back to our room so I can’t really comment on the evening’s entertainments but there always seemed to be something going on.
Hudhuranfushi is a beautiful resort and the snorkelling is amazing, with safe clean water.
However this really is a resting holiday there is not a lot to do apart from snorkel and read your books.
Water sports are available but are expensive. The Diving however was very reasonable and the attention to Health and Safety very commendable.
There are boat trips to Male and fishing cruises but these again are not cheap and I understand from several people not really worth the dollars.
Make sure you take plenty of toiletries and sun cream with you since these are extortionately priced (250ml of an unknown brand of sun cream - $28)
Buy a snorkel set before you go, again cost arm and a leg on the island and you really must go snorkelling.
You also should allow about $100 for tips over a 2 week period.

To sum up we had an amazing holiday, rest and recuperation and loads of diving and snorkelling just what we wanted. If you want excursions a plenty and lively entertainment then you should look elsewhere. If you want top end food then pay for it and go somewhere more expensive.

To all the staff at Hudhuranfushi, we had a blast…Thank you and we hope to come back one day.

• Travel date: Mon 31st of January 2011

Don't believe all you read!!

Reviewed Fri 14th of August 2009

"We booked our holiday at the Huduranfushi resort on the advice of our friendly travel agent. We trust her and know she wouldn't sell us a poor deal.

afterwards we read reports of Huduranfushi and started to worry - there are some pretty disparaging comments on the web about the place - All I can say to thoe people who wrote these reports is "Try again - the place is fabulous now"

The resort consists of a Restaurant, bar, diving/surf centre and about 150 thatched beach huts, ALL with direct access onto the beach which is beautiful, white sand. There are about 40 Ocean Villas which offer even more superior accommodation. The sea is crystal clear and shallow for a good way out so even non-swimmers can enjoy watching the blue/yellow/green/silver/orange fish swim around their ankles.

The staff are great, and the staff football tournament is not to be missed "Well Come to the Huduranfushi Cup" written alongside the pitch in sand. The waiters play the Gardeners and the Front Office staff play the boat Crews - all very serious and very entertaining at the same time - great fun.

the food is varied and well prepared. We were allocated a table for the week and made good friends with another two couples. The AI package included all meals, beeer, soft drinks and house spirits. we all found it very good. Cocktails were extra at about $8 a go. there is a cocktail night when $19 buys you an all inclusive coktail evening (we drank oor way through the menu - money well spent).

The a la carte restaurant (not in the AI package) was fabulous. we treated ourselves to a lobster meal on the last evening. Just do it! it was great.

Cannot finish without mentioning Laura teh Holiday rep. - She was just BRILLIANT¬! Honestly, she was the bees knees. Good to talk to, good information and always available.

All in all a 10/10 holiday."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of August 2009

Honeymoon nightmare

Reviewed Wed 17th of December 2008

"The Maldives is lovely. we were there on our honeymoon expecting a wonderful place and great hotel. wow were we mistaken as I said the maldives is wonderful for diving lying on the beach etc.. it's a great place but if you go DO NOT STAY at the Huduranfushi hotel where do I start;

1. it is advertised as All Inclusive but it is actually Full Board; meaning you can only eat at certain times in 1 restaurant for free which is much like a buffet all of the nice restaurants are expensive, if anyone has been to mexico, virgin islands etc.. you will know that All Inclusive is All Inclusive.

2. My wife had morning sickness as we concieved on our wedding night and we were not allowed to go to the buffet style restaurant, or any restaurant unless we paid heavily, and take food back to the room it was strictly forbidden so after kicking up a huge fuss they arranged for some apples to be in the room. oh and the restuarant is alway very very hot.

3. they had two boat trips night fishing and a trip to see the only coca cola factory that used sea water, on an old fishing island - not a very nice island and the factory, the whole point of going, was closed on the only day they ran the trip.

4. the rooms had no double beds on the island we were told when we discovered that double bed was two single beds pushed together. on our HoneyMoon we are not getting upto much on that very uncomfortable heap.

5. the rooms were very basic with grass on the floor of the bathroom I expected sand at the very least or stones of some kind.

6. the staff were ignorant and very unhelpful when you went to ask them and eventually challenge them about the conditions and I guess that is because nearly all the guests complain.

The list goes on and on and on. It is great for diving and snorkling but then so are a lot of other islands in the maldives so I would definately choose somewhere else. it was the worst holiday we have ever had and has put us off going to the maldives altogether when you can go elsewhere, virgin islands, asia, italy etc. for less and have a great time and guarenteed service or at least what you pay for.

regards
David.

Northwest England"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of December 2008

Fantastic Stay

Reviewed Thu 13th of November 2008

"Hello. i never do a holiday review but had to for my stay here. My fiance and I firstly stayed here for my 21st birthday in april 2006 when it was called Lohifushi island. we found the whole stay and exprience to be fantastic.
The staff were extremally friendly, helpfull and attentive (when we wanted them to be)
The island in itself was like heaven. white sands and clear blue sea. the beach was raked free of all leaves first thing in the morning before most people awoke and the sea was removed of any floating seaweed several times a day causing no disruption.
The food was fantastic all fresh fish and salads you couldnt ask for more on a nice hot day/evening. We both actually lost weight instead of putting it on as we usually do.

We loved the Maldives so much 12months later we returned and stayed at meedhupparu island resort in august 2007. We ended up most of the two weeks sat in our room as the weather was slightly wet. we had to get a sea plane to the island from the airport. this was a great experience on the way to the island but on the return and in the bad weather this was far from fun. our sea plane was delayed for 6 hours beacuse of the bad weather.
appart from the return journy our stay was lovely. Because the Lohifushi island was having a re-vamp they had transfered their members of staff to other islands within the same group. One evening we were sat having an evening meal and we recognised one of the members of staff. He then recognised us and also remembered that we first saw him 12months previously. which we both thought was nice.
We did a few trips that were on offer such as the nightime fishing and the sunset trip. both were absolutly fantastic and we would definatly do them again.

now Lohifushi island has had a re-vamp we are going back in a few weeks to have nosey and we cant wait!!!
i dont understand when people say theyve had a bad experience over there. our all inclusive was all inclusive including drinks (minus cocktails), all food and also food from the sunset bar after 4pm for 2hours if you missed lunch. lots of alcoholic drinks were on offer throughout the day/night what more would anyone want hehe.

we will definaly be going back at least every other year as it is just pure paradise !!! what more could you want for a nice relaxing get away!

• Travel date: Wed 12th of November 2008

My husband and I went to Huduranfushi fo...

Reviewed Fri 26th of September 2008

"My husband and I went to Huduranfushi for our honeymoon this year and had an amazing time. Like many others we had read bad reviews about the resort after we had booked and were a little concerned. There was no need to be though the place was beautiful, the people couldn't do enough for us and we had our own beach! I would recommend getting some coral shoes they are only about a tenner and make snorkling much easier. The snorking was incredible there are just so may different types of fish and small reef sharks that won't bother you unless of course you go poking it in the face!!

The food was delicious especially the grilled fish, they also have a Maldivian night once a week and the food they serve is fantastic.

The outside shower is amazing especially at night time as you can shower user the stars!!

• Travel date: Fri 26th of September 2008

My husband and I were extremely disapoin...

Reviewed Wed 3rd of September 2008

"My husband and I were extremely disapointed with this resort for so many reasons:
A double mattress was two singles pushed together - very uncomfortable. The beds only had sheets - no blankets???
All inclusive did not include any drinks - even water
Water cost anywhere between $5 and $6 and the seals were often broken i.e. they were refilled from the tap
A small plate of hot chip cost $13.00
The food was terrible and the main restaurant resembled a school cafeteria
We asked for a wake up call at 5.00am to catch a 5.45am speedboat and they called us at 5.30am
A staff member knocked on our door at 9.45pm asking to refill the minbar and wouldn't leave until we paid him $4 (because he was leaving the island??)- even though the bill was $3.50.
My husband and I often stay in budget accomodation and aren't particularly fussy but we felt that this place was a complete rip off. We spent the previous 3 nights at the Komandoo resort which was cheaper but a million times better than this resort!!

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of September 2008

After reading some of the reviews I deci...

Reviewed Fri 20th of June 2008

"After reading some of the reviews I decided I had to post my review I don't normally do these but wanted to say some good things about this resort.

We went for our honeymoon last year and loved it I cant say it is total luxury but I couldnt fault the cleanliness and the staff, we were treated amazing by all staff I hadnt finished my drink and our personal waiter was bringing me another one, the AI deal is not brilliant but you get all house spirits and local beers, diet coke and other soft drinks.

Not once did i get bitten by anything and found the rooms were clean and minimal we didnt spend that much time in the rooms as the beaches were so gorgeous and you practically had your own private beach.

Our waiter in the restaurant decorated our table with flowers and 'happy honeymoon' he made us bugs out of palm leaves and was brilliant.

I could go on and on, if you are going to this resort you will love it."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of June 2008

My girlfriend and I have just returned (...

Reviewed Wed 30th of January 2008

"My girlfriend and I have just returned (within the last twelve hours) from the Hudhuranfushi Island Resort booked via Thomson.

We booked this holiday with high hopes of a staying in a peaceful semi-luxurious idylic island. The reality was much much different. Where do I start?

The beach villas I have to say were okay to a point and I must stress, to a POINT. But ALL the materials inside were very cheap and the whole place had a bad feel to it. I have supplied photos but for example, an inch gap for bugs to crawl in could be found on each door. The curtains badly stained and although the room boys did make up the bed and sweep, the rooms felt like they needed a good industrial clean.

We booked a "double" room, yet we received two cheap materesses pushed together, this resulted in a rock hard centre of the bed - not what you expect from a "4*" hotel. (See photos)

The novel bathroom which I have been reading about was a complete joke, again, see photos. There was grass growing which was a foot high in places, still with paint on it thus NEVER being cut since the place was painted. It might seem novel to some people but this wears of after being biten alive for a week by bugs. Chips out of the bath, grubby tiles and rubbish left from previous guests.

The food was, and believe us, totally totally disgusting - Neither my girlfriend or myself expected top cuisine and nor are we fussy, but this food was an insult to anyone, let alone a paying guest. Examples are... orange juice which was actually nearly 100% cordial purposely made like this to taste so strong you may be tricked into thinking it was real, the label stated orange juice. Sausages which were horrendous anyway, but were being cooked on the same griddle as raw uncooked ones. The cereal was 100% stale, I mean how hard can cereal be to keep semi fresh??? I could go on, and on , and on, but I hope you get the message.

The restaurant floor was sand, which again, may be interpreted as novel, but was dirty and crawling with bugs.

The reason we are writing this, is not to be a pain or ruin peoples trips, it is to prevent hard working people spending money on this place in hope of "paradise".

The beaches were awful, rocky in all places and you had to wear coral shoes which could be bought from the overpriced shop in the resort.

As previous reports stated, the AI is not really AI, the hotel seem to capture ANY chance of revenue and this should not be the case when you are AI. The soft drinks were often flat remains from the bottom of a 1.5l bottle.

In the end, we were wishing our time away, and we did make the most of it by using the Spa which was good, and the jet ski etc.

This resort is a cheap, tacky, grubby, money grabbing, corner cutting depressing place.

Each to their own I say, but please take all this onboard.

The rep is not really there much and asking for a blanket was hard enough so we felt complaining to this magnitude was not in question due to language barriers etc. A full complaint to Thomson is in order.

Recent guests, North West England.

• Travel date: Wed 30th of January 2008

I have read various reviews on this hote...

Reviewed Tue 4th of September 2007

"I have read various reviews on this hotel and feel that I have to speak up.

Huduranfushi was the most amazing place that I have ever been in the world. When I think of Paradise I picture Huduranfushi in my head.

The island itself, although recovering from the devastating effects of the tsunami, was beautiful. Yes there was some mess on some of the island, although this was contained in one area, located within the staff's quarters, fenced off from the rest of the island.

Our beach bungalow was fabulous, though the icing on the cake had to be the outdoor shower. There is not a better feeling than looking up at the stars, whilst having a relaxing shower, (believe me, anyone that goes to the hotel, has to do this, the sky is phenomenal, my husband and I had constant creaks in our necks from staring up at the sky at night.

Yes some of the sand is a little rough, but bearable, we continually walked about without any footwear, during the day, and it never did our feet any harm.

The sea is amazing, we strongly recommend going snorkelling. Even the scared (like myself) will enjoy the wonderful array of colour and life under the water. Though do keep your eyes peeled for reef sharks (we did only see small ones though), and other sea creatures, we were amazed to see the size of some of the fish (they were huge).

The pool was great, perfect size, temp and the swim up bar was a firm favourite with my husband. One hint to all you beer lovers out there, some staff do not appreciate the importance of an ice cold beer, however they are happy to exchange it for a colder one, don't be afraid to ask.

Leading onto the continual moan of several people, the "all inclusive" saga. It is true, that there are several restrictions on the all inclusive. However this was clearly highlighted prior to us going on holiday, we were under no illusions, so it amazes me why people continue to complain about this. If you want 10 restaurants go somewhere else, if you want unspoilt paradise Huduranfushi is for you!

The staff, undoubtedly are a credit to the resort. They were so helpful, pleasant and definitely the most hard working people ever. They live, sleep and eat at work, with their families living miles away, some only seeing them once a month. They could not do any more for anyone.

If you are wanting to treat yourself whilst there, we strongly recommend attending the spa. There are so many different treatments available it is hard to pick one. We opted for the "Adam and Eve" package, which was out of this world.

Last but not least, Huduranfushi is definitely worth a visit, you won't regret it, we certainly never."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of September 2007

We arrived, via speedboat after the long...

Reviewed Thu 23rd of August 2007

"We arrived, via speedboat after the long flight, Male airport was extremely efficient and we had our bags within minutes off getting of the plane!

Arrived at the resort and waited for our room key in the reception area, which was very pleasant and very hot!!

Got to the room and unpacked ready to catch a few rays. Our room was on the front of the island, very clean and tidy and the beach was a few yards from our front door. This section of the beach was very rocky and really not an area to spend allot of time. We sat for a while on the sun loungers near the sea but could not believe it when we heard drilling from what can only be described as a 'work shack' out at sea, straight in front of the island.

Unfortunately this drilling went on from early morning to early evening on and off and was totally unexpected. We thought we were coming to a paradise island but my idea of paradise is certainly not sitting on a beach listening to constant drilling!

After speaking to the holiday rep (who, incidentally, was fully aware of this constant noise on the front of the island) we were moved to another room further around the island eventually! To my dismay, there was also drilling on this side of the island from the water bungalows!!

The Maldives is a place I have always wanted to travel to and I'm glad I did, however, I would not recommend this resort if you are looking for total relaxation and peace and quiet - I feel cheated as, had I have been given the opportunity to chose a quieter island then I would have, even if it meant paying slightly more money! Holiday makers should be made aware of any works being carried out prior to their departure and this was simply not the case!

Room boys were very good although all of them expect a tip at the end of your stay; waiters were very professional and friendly. Some of the bar staff were friendly others were a little rude, shop staff try to overcharge so be on guard!

All in all the service at the hotel was good, rooms clean and tidy - holiday was only spoilt by the constant drilling around the island. In addition, the view from the beach in front of our second room was clear blue sea but to the right was a bright yellow digger amongst other things, again, not my idea of paradise!

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

I agree with the writer of the last revi...

Reviewed Fri 10th of August 2007

"I agree with the writer of the last review. We loved this paradise island so much; we have re-booked for next year.

As soon as we arrived on our speedboat we were greeted and led to the reception area, where we were handed a cooled facecloth and a welcome cold drink.

After relaxing and filling in the formalities we were given our keys and shown to our beach bungalow, amazing!

From our decking area it was about twenty paces to the clear, warm sea. It is shallow and safe; it must be a half mile wade to the breakers. I meant to wade out there, but never did.

There are two circular man-made swimming pools in the bay, take you snorkels, the fish are amazing.

If you've visited Google video etc, you may have seen the feeding of the rays. This has been stopped since the death of Steve Irwin. People were jumping in the sea with them, not realizing the dangers.

The room was kept spotless by our room boy who came in twice daily, the free air-con kept us lovely and cool, as well as the fan overhead.

The room had tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer, stocked fridge, safe and TV.

I could go on and on but it’s late and I'm tired now. I will submit some pictures soon."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

Hotels near Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi

Top traveller tips for Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi

• davidz by davidz

"nice place wonderful sea life but do NOT stay at huduranfushi "

• Lindylou by Lindylou

"Total relaxation, stunning island, comfortable rooms great staff. "

• juliapeters by juliapeters

"Stay in the Ocean Villas "

Adaaran Select Hudhuranfushi is also called