Holiday Inn Resort Penang

72 Batu Ferringhi, Batu Ferringhi, Penang Island 11100 Malaysia

Recommended

"Stayed at this hotel in the Tower Wing over Xmas. The room was of a good standard, although probably not quite what you would call 4 star standard. The balcony was a disappointment. Our room was perfectly clean, but we did hear some other guests complaining, but hey, that's all some people do on holiday! The walkway across to the beach wing is closed after 10pm and the road can can be a bit didgy, particularly if you have consumed too much of the local beer. Chose to eat out of the hotel and would strongly recommend the Jewel of the North, excellent Indian, plus another restaurant about half a mile further up on the same side, sorry can't remember the name, but it is next door to the bar that looks like something from the Flinstones! Pool area was busy with most of the sun loungers booked early and left unoccupied for long periods. The garden area was superb for relaxing. Didn't have a massage, but everybody spoke highly of it. Disappointed that the sea is not fit for swimming in.

Excellent place to relax and unwind, would certainly go again."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006

The place is a Dump

"Hey I call it like I see it, the place is a dump! We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights here, stayed 30 mins. and left!

Buyer`Beware!"

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

Great comfort and service for great value

"We stayed for two weeks in Holiday Inn.We had a fine big room with a KING sized bed. The staff were more then helpful and frindly. The pool and garden area were very plesent.At about 4o'clock each day a waiter came atound with peeled fresh fruit. The lunch in the pool bar had great verarity and for a hotel was good value.
The massages were only fantastic and great value. The hotel was right in the middle of all the action, stalls, food halls,shops, internet shops etc. But no noise distrubed us at night.
The only problom I had was all the TV stations listed were not avaible in out room as in other rooms. I did request that it be looked after as we like a news station but no joy.
Other then that I would not pass the Holiday Inn if staying in Penang again."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of March 2006

Great value and good locationl

"Had a great 4 night stay here. We had two interconnecting rooms in the Ferringhi Tower annex for ourselves and our 3 teenagers. Rooms were clean and spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Its right in the centre of Batu Ferringhi, with lots of restaurants, cafes and little shops nearby plus the night market and hawker centre which was great fun and incredibly cheap. The hotel pool is nice - we avoided it in the middle of the day as we all burn easily, but had no problem getting sunbeds late afternoon. The buffet breakfasts were good, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. All in all excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of March 2006

Better than expected

Good

"I have to admit that my heart sank when we were heading for Penang, and my girlfriend announced that her uncle (local) had got us a special rate at the Holiday Inn. However we spent 5 nights there and it surpassed my expectations (for a major US chain).

The staff seem very friendly and efficient. The pool is OK, fine for cooling off, but nothing to write home about, expect 'beach towels at dawn' on the sun-loungers, both by the pool, on the grassy strip behind the beach, and on the beach itself. We were always late starters (like 10-11am), but with a bit of creativity ended up getting sun-loungers. Timid sorts will not.

The only negative really was right at the start of the trip. We had been in our room ten minutes when Housekeeping made to walk right into our room. They laughed but I didn't find it very funny. If you're in your room, flip the latch over at all times I suppose.

We've both spent a lot of time in this area, and Penang, and at the price this hotel did the job... surpassed it actually. We barely strayed from poolside, and would certainly stay here again.

Breakfast is great. Their 'chicken rice' is also really exceptional and a great lunch for RM18 or so. We had a couple of good dinners out, but the best were when we were 'roughing it' at the hawker centre. There is a stand that does grilled fish and the bass and stingray were exceptional (forget the prawns, they always look great in Asia but never have any flavour at all).

p.s. I'd suggest avoiding the Eden restaurant next to the hotel and Ship retaurant. I've unknowingly eaten here a few times in the 90's, but now, as a scuba diver I can tell you their tanks of fish (in the entrance way) just make me feel sick. #1 They are diseased (look at the snapper, they are covered in parasites, and you can see from their fins/tails that they are unhealthy), I would not eat them if I were paid. #2 and to see tanks of moray eels is pretty wrenching after having experienced them on diving trips..."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of February 2006

Good for sunbathing and water sports

Good

"the holiday inn batu ferrenghi is decent. rooms are a bit older but large. there are two hotel buildings. one side is the beach side the other is separated by the road. it really doesn't make much difference. the pool area is nice and is right next to the beach. they have their own water sports counter and you can rent jetskis and go parasailing. a lot of fun.

the night market is also right outside the hotel. it's pretty much right along the road that leads to georgetown but there really isn't that much else within walking distance of the hotel.

you'll need to hire a taxi if you want to go to georgetown."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of February 2006

Not For Fitness Fans

Good

"We spent 3 nights at Holiday Inn and found the hotel itself to be clean and very pleasant. The included buffet breakfast was excellent. However, we chose this hotel on the fact that it had a 'fitness centre', but we were sorely disappointed. The 'fitness centre' consisted of a dingy, airless room with a few pieces of outdated equipment, some of which was not working. At one point there were 4 of us in the room and there was barely space to move. The hotel guest directory boasted that staff could recommend several jogging trails, but in fact the 2 staff members we asked just shrugged and said they didn't know. Actually, each time we made an enquiry as to local amenities, transport etc.. the staff were not able to help which made for a frustrating stay. This hotel is good for families who like beach holidays and do not require much more. For those who like to get out and do stuff - don't rely on hotel staff for any useful information!"

• Travel date: Sat 11th of February 2006

Hey, it's a Holiday Inn

"We stayed at Holiday Inn Batu Ferringhi for two nights over New Years Eve 2005/2006. Our room on the 16th floor was clean and spacious and comfortable. The room was available without delay, and the lobby staff very helpful during our stay.

The pool area is fine, but it is unlikely the pool itself will appeal if you are over age 12. The lawn area next to the beach is much more comfortable for those sans children. There is an excellent range of water sports available on the clean beach. The massages are great, as long as you like it hard. The hotel restaurant is best avoided, as is every other restaurant we saw in Batu Ferringhi.

If fake plastic Gucci handbags, knock-off CDs and general tourist tat is your thing, the hotel is well located for the night markets. If not, the bus stop and taxi rank are very close, allowing you to make a quick getaway.

The Holiday Inn, as with Batu Ferringhi itself, is there for package tourists and young families. It caters for these groups well. You can get your bacon and egg breakfast in many of the local restaurants, and they all offer “Malaysian and Western food”. If you prefer a more ‘real’ experience or a bit of excitement, stay in Georgetown. Georgetown is essential if you’re into food, and Batu Ferringhi is only RM25 in a taxi or RM2.5 on the bus if you really feel you need to see it.

If you are a family or are very conservative, you will be happy and comfortable here. If a beach resort is a must and you are a honeymooning couple, or you like something a bit more unique, authentic or lively, Batu Ferringhi and the Holiday Inn are not the places for you."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of January 2006

don't forget your priority points!

Good

"Our second stay (by choice) in this lovely hotel. nothing is too much trouble and at the price, you'll be saying "somebody pinch me and wake me up from this dream" Even the beach sellers are lovely, Marilyn, Phillip and the other guys will bend over backwards to give you a great time on Paragliding and jetski's and they all have a great sense of humour.
Last year we watched them take a youth in a wheelchair up on the paraglider (obviously without the chair) and landed him, strapped to a local guide, without the merest hint of a bump and they did it whilst making the guy feel like a king for no extra money.
Take a trip to the Langkawi coral
Take the trip up Penang hill
and shop the night market till you drop.

We have been in October and in April and this place is fantastic, any time of year"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of December 2005

Wonderful !!!

"Originally booked for a two night stay, from 26/11/05 to 28/11/05 at the beach wing. But, loved everything about the hotel, and extended a night. The beach, water sports activities, restaurants, bars, food stalls, bus stops, taxi stands, night market and convenience stores are all within walking distance. The staff too are really nice and helpful, especially at the Terrace Cafe. The rooms are large and clean.
But, what I loved most was the concept of the garden right behind the swimming pool. They had lots of day beds as well as picnic benches overlooking the sea and amidst tall, leafy trees. Just the perfect place to unwind. My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay at Holiday Inn Penang tremendously and would recommend it to everyone."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of December 2005

Hotels near Holiday Inn Resort Penang

Stayed at Holiday Inn Resort Penang? Share your insight.

Holiday Inn Resort Penang is also called