Guest room

Rocking Good Hotel

Reviewed 26th March 2013

"We stayed for 6 nights with 2 Children (13 yrs), we all enjoyed the facilities within the hotel and the markets and resturants nearby. The extensive Pool is great for the kids to explore and play, and the Teen club was good for them to hang out.We enjoyed breakfast at the pizzera (however I agree with a previous writer the service there is slow). Overall it is a busy hotel yet we found time as a couple to relax and enjoy our time, and our children enjoyed were entertained throughout the stay. I'd surely recommend for families with teenage children."

• Travel date: 26th January 2010

Rock on!

Reviewed 24th March 2013

"Had a one night stay in the Seaview Deluxe room. Room - was a bit smaller than what one would expect for the price or even an ordinary hotel room in Malaysia, but it was sufficient. Large study table with its own lighting, TV with iPod-dockable HiFi and DVD player (standard in any Hard Rock hotel, I guess). The beds were superb with more than enough pillows. Liked the bathrobes and the fantastic view, which included both the massive pool and the beach. However, I was surprised to find that the bathroom did not have a bathtub, although they compensated with a very nice rain showerhead. Location wise, a bit far as it is one of the last hotels on the Batu Ferringhi road before hitting Teluk Bahang. No problem if you have your own transport though. However, parking is a challenge as when I returned to the hotel at night there were no more parking spaces in the main compound and I had to put my car in a lot across the road. Had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe on the ground floor, food was decent but nothing extraordinary. If anything, it's worth going for the experience itself. Breakfast was at the Starz DIner, good selection of Asian and western dishes on the buffet but got a bit crowded at times. All in all, a good experience, especially if you're looking for something out of the ordinary in your hotel stay in Penang."

• Travel date: 23rd January 2010

Permission to enter beach...for safety?hmmm

Reviewed 25th March 2013

"Was over at Penang with cousins and they recommended that we stayed at the rather new Hardrock Hotel over in Feringgi. Cutting to the chase, yeah...really cool staff, polite, helpful, loved the reception / bar. For those those not familiar with Hardrock Hotel, don't get confused about where the reception counter is...the reception counter is the bar! Always be on the look out for Malaysian school holiday periods - book early. Nice rooms, liked the pictures of rockstars all over the place. Hardrock cafe charges cover starting from 10.30pm, which is MYR30 per person. However, in all its wonders, don't forget to GET PERMISSION from the manager on duty if you want to go to the beach after 11pm. Wow...thanks for the high school treatment - I wonder if they will give me a 'beach pass' . Being patrons to the hotel, we thought about hanging out at the beach after a few drinks and suddenly, this big security guy shouted - "what are doing here?!" My cousin having gotten a little shocked that we were treated like transpassers told him that we were patrons here. He then replied, "did you ask my PERMISSION (to come out here)?!" Oh well, that little cousin of mine got frighten and started apologizing like we broke some high school rules. The guard then later said, "if something happen to you- the what aa?it's for your safety". Okay fine - I appreciate his 'concern'. I didn't realise the beaches in Penang were so dangerous...hmm. Oh why oh why when every staff is so polite and fun, lovable - did this guy have to be so un-cool? But Hardrock, I still love you and thanks a great time."

• Travel date: 18th January 2010

Rockin' Good Time

Reviewed 21st March 2013

"This is an extremely kid friendly hotel with lots of activities and well trained staff! Rooms are a bit small for a family but other than that, we had no complaints. Checking in was a breeze. Upon our car rolling at the lobby, we were greeted by a friendly hotel staff. Our baggage we immediately taken out by the bell boy. It took about 15 minutes to check in. While waiting we got welcome drinks and sat the lounge. We explored the hotel and beach. The kids loved the pool & beach activities. There was also pizza making demo (with free pizza), dance class, water aerobics, snake shows and lots of other activities within the hotel. I suggest the hotel give some guidelines on the hive of beach activities, as the ATV's had no proper track and people were zooming up & down the beach in front of the hotel. It's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt. There is also horse riding, canoeing & beach parachute. Buffet breakfast was good with a wide range of food. It can get pretty crowded at about 8am onwards. The lobby lounge gets packed where a great band starts jamming at 8pm - 11ish. So, if you don't really mind the loud music which can be heard from your room's balcony - great. If you do, remember to request the rooms further away from the main lobby. Totally will come back again!"

• Travel date: 13th January 2010

12 Days & nights of really good service & attention

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"I am a 65 year old rocker who just wanted to veg. out over Christmas & New Year in a new hotel in Penang. I made my reservations through Expedia, arrived at the appropriate time and was booked in expeditiously with a welcome drink to boot. All the staff are new, courteous to a fault, and forever smiling and greeting you as you wend your way through the entire hotel. The hotel was very crowded throughout the period of our stay and yet the staff did not falter in any way. Security is great and as I had rented a car, found no trouble in handing the keys to Hard Rock staff for parking and they returned the keys to me after parking the car. Starz dining room was our choice for daily breakfast and the range, quality and quantity of the food and food service was outstanding. Any requests for more towels, early room cleaning, fixing dvd player problems, hot water issues were all attended to within 15 minutes of the request. In particular a young lady known as Charmaine at the front desk became my contact for any request for service and she reacted promptly, courteously and with a Great Smile. Darren, the head chef from Australia was truly passionate in delivering food and food service to his customers. John, the general manager from New Zealand was on the ball at all times ensuring that all his employees were delivering Quality Customer Service to all Guests. Would I stay here again ? Without question. John & Judy from Perth, Australia"

• Travel date: 4th January 2010

overated... not value for money...

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"new years party in this hotel was a failure, way overpriced and with no turn out. Hotel guest were forced to dine only in coffee house or room service on New year's eve. All the outlets were shut. Service generally was ok. Dinning service at the pizza restaurant was a mess and super slow. Staff lacked attentiveness. Rooms very average and basic. Bedsheets were very stachy and rough. Hotel has a geat pool which is about the only attraction. We took the groundfloor room where one can easily access the pool from the room. Had a party on the private pool deck. Thats about the only nice thing about the room."

• Travel date: 4th January 2010

Over priced and over hyped hotel

Reviewed 23rd March 2013

"This is our second stay in Penang, and thought we would stay at the Hard Rock as it was a new hotel. What a disappointment it turned out to be. We booked a deluxe seaview room and I'm trying to figure out what is deluxe about it! It is a standard room at best. Housekeeping is poor, waited 2 hours for complimentry water, still waiting for housekeeping to remove all items from fridge, first request was put in 2 days ago. Buffet breakfast is cold, and 3 days into holiday the chefs still can't boil a soft egg. Still have 7 days left in the hotel, the only upside is the gym is OK the pool is large and clean, but the sunbeds are plastic and very uncomfortable. I will certainly not be coming back here, and I'm sure once the hotel has completed its first year of opening and the hype has died down, the poor reviews will very much out weigh the positve reviews. Christine Barton Liverpool, England"

Nice pool, atrocious service

Reviewed 31st March 2013

"My immediate family and uncle's family booked 5 rooms for 3 days to nights. Only 1 room was ready at 5 pm, other rooms close to 6pm. I had to persistently insist on the front desk to check on our rooms and was informed that the reason for the delay was that they did not have enough manpower to clean the rooms. Asked to speak to a supervisor and the name 'John' was mentioned numerous times but was not given the opportunity to make his or any other supervisor's acquaintance. I had to force a concession from the front desk person, Christine, to make up for the late check in by giving us late check out. Had dinner that night at the Pizzeria, with the oven being do close to the dining area, yet the food was cold on arrival at the table. The room service food was appalling, we ordered chicken rice, a staple Malaysian food, and it was the worst chicken rice ever. Also ordered the burger which was cold. On departure day, checked with the front desk and found out that they could not offer late checkout and when asked why, she started to educate me on Hard Rock Hotel's policies. I discovered that hotel staff are very good at regurgitating policies and informing you why things can't be done but do not work towards a win-win solution for the customer. A few days after my return to KL, I wrote to Hard Rock Penang and to its holding company in Singapore and after a week, they returned with a nice holding statement that they aleady know of this problem and will not offer the full inventory to customers whilst they solve the problem. Of course, this doesn't do anything to address my spoilt holiday. For the money you have to pay here, best you go to the established hotels anywhere in Gurney Drive, Tanjung Bungah or Batu Ferringhi where the service and food are excellent for equivalent or lesser price. Shah"

• Travel date: 3rd January 2010

Great Hotel!

Reviewed 30th March 2013

"We went to Hard Rock Hotel Penang with 3 adults, 2 children and 1 infant for 4 days. We booked through internet for a Rock Star Suite, but was given King's Suite at same price. When we arrived at 2pm, the in-room check-in was swift. However, I saw a lot of people still waiting for their rooms outside the reception area. First impression was the hotel is new but very very crowded. The no. 141 room is very spacious; 2 bedrooms (one of the rooms come with an oversized master bed with walk-in wardrobe), 1 living area, 1 dining area that could sit 8 people, 1 kitchen (that allow us to cook our baby food, also a big refrigerator with unlimited flow of soft drinks and Carlsberg), 3 toilets (one with big round private jacuzzi tub), 1 private car park (that my tour guide van could park to wait for us) and 1 patio for outdoor dining. 1 normal bedroom, 3 toilets, is located on the ground floor with a private pool. The Kings suite come with the Kings Priviledge on the 6th floor. Breakfast is served there and the staff there could remember our names each time we went there. Although the buffet spread is limited as compared to the resturant downstairs, we could choose the cooked food from the menu and the food served hot from the kitchen. We also ordered a few meals through the in-room dining. Overall the taste of the food is below average and could be improved. The swimming pool is child friendly with water slides and water fountain sprays. There is also a Lil Rock club that my children enjoyed. The beach is public, so there are many touts. There are also sign boards warning us of Jelly Fish in the sea, I guess that may be the reason why there are not many people swimming. There are many water sports such as para sailing, motor jet boats, private boats to rent for fishing and to nearby islands. There are even horse rides. The hotel lobby was over-crowded every time we walked pass, especially during evening when there is live band. As this is a famous Hard Rock theme hotel, there are a lot of people (not hotel guest) walking around the lobby and taking pictures. Overall, our experience there is great. Although the hotel is just 3 months old when we visited, I hope they will maintain the hotel well."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2010

Rockin' place for family with teens

Reviewed 19th March 2013

"The Hard Rock Hotel is awesome - great music throughout the day, the rooms are comfortable, the pools are clean and large, the food is better than average, the staff are friendly and helpful and the broadband is free. As every parent of teens know, it's hard to find a place where the teenagers can be happy and stay connected. This is not for those families who'd like an 'authentic' Penang experience - but that can be found outside the hotel on the jalan. The King's club is one of the best we've experienced (and we've been to a lot of hotels worldwide), with very friendly staff, great food and generous freebies. For those who know Penang, it is the refurbished "Casuarina" in Batu Ferringgi, and the beds are very comfortable!"

• Travel date: 2nd January 2010

Fabulous

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"What a great venue to spend our wedding anniversary at! There was a party nearly every night we were there! The staff were excellent, the food was fantastic and the rooms were great - clean, they had all the amenities we needed and they were quiet. We had a fabulous time and if we ever plan on visiting Penang again, I know exactly where we'll be staying again.... well done Hard Rock team for being so enthusiastic and making sure your guests have a great stay!"

• Travel date: 16th November 2009

fantastic

Reviewed 22nd March 2013

"I'll write in English, so other people can read it too. I stayed with a friend from 3 untill 10 november in room 312. We had a special travelagency trip, and we had opportunity to see some other rooms than ours. I must say, all rooms were very nice, some had great view outside, some had big bathroom, and also the VIP lounge was oke. The hotel and rooms are very clean and nice, and although there were some live performances during our stay, it never was noisy. The pool and surroundings are also nice and clean, swimmingwater is tested every month, and has not a lot of chlorine in it. Swimming in sea was not possible, due to jellyfish, but I'm not a seaswimmer anyway. The people from the hotel are young and very nice, they do everything to make youre stay as pleasant as possible, I even made some new friends their (thanks Rassul and Nana). We only had bed/breakfast, and breakfast was oke, lotst of things, for every-one there was something. Overall it was a very nice vacation, and I recommend the Hard Rock Hotel to every-one, thanks again everybody from staff and personall for the very nice vacation."

• Travel date: 13th November 2009

Hotels near Hard Rock Hotel Penang

Hard Rock Hotel Penang is also called

• batu ferringhi hotel hard rock penang