Salt pool

• facial treatments
  • complimentary instant cofffee

Hot hot hot

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We stayed here for 4 nights after 4 nights in KL. It was very relaxing and peaceful. 10 mins taxi (£3) from airport. Our room was a garden view one, near the beach and the eating area. It was big, basic, clean. Thank goodness for air con! Not too sure about the semi-outside bathroom/shower; it was fine, but was somewhat in need of repair. Food was excellent, though stick to the 'a la carte' as opposed to the buffets. It was reasonably priced, well presented and delicious! We ate at the hotel all the time, as there seemed no other exciting options within walking distance. Staff were excellent, friendly and efficient. The pool area is clean and well planned. We spent most of our time around here, as the beach was not very inviting, and the sea was murky and had signs 'Beware of jellyfish'. (Don't expect the wonderful beaches/sea of the Caribbean, where we usually go.) We hired a taxi/driver for 3 hours one day (approx £15), and he took us where we liked. We decided to visit the cable car which was staggering, the climb, the views, the ride, the bridge connecting the 2 highest peaks! Certainly not for those scared of heights! Then we went to the nearby crocodile farm, 1,000 of the creatures. Feeding time pretty amazing!! Sunsets lovely. We walked the length of the beach (and the next one up), and were pleased we had chosen this hotel as opposed to any of the others. Will we go back? Maybe if we're passing through, but it's a hell of a trek! And we kept saying, "Ah, it's nothing compared to Barbados"."

• Travel date: 27th February 2007

Fantastic resort but dissapointing room.

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"I had just returned from Frangipani. The hotel enviroment here is one of the best that I've ever stayed for a 4-star hotel. The pool was just magnificent, the beach was stunning during sunset and the hotel staff are quite friendly as well. Was greeted with a smile from all the hotel staffs that I met there. The only dissapointing part of my stay there was the room's shower. The bath tub(stain everywhere) is a bit dissapointing and I had problems enjoying my shower as well as there's no hot water in my room at a certain time especially when everyone are back at their room enjoying their shower while I am not. :(. The room was newly renovated and clean as well, so thumb up for this. To summarize it, the resort is just fantastic but there's some room for improvement especially to the room's shower, bath tub and the 2 single bed that I had when I was there with my girlfriend. Cheers."

• Travel date: 7th February 2007

Waste of a holiday

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"We stayed at the Frangipani last week and unfortunately, the room that we were given appalled us. The shower was very dodgy; there was no shower curtain/screen, which meant that our bathroom floor was flooded each time we had a shower. When we checked into our room there were 2 room service trays with partially eaten food left outside our door. It was still there when we checked out three days later. The most intriguing part was that our room was cleaned twice, but somehow the elusive trays were left untouched each time. The open cesspit was there as well, they were cleaning it when we arrived at our double storey room, very pleasant indeed. Did we complain? Of course we did, only to be greeted by “ We are a 3 star hotel, what do you expect attitude” but with a smile of course. They apologized and promised to look into the ‘shower curtain’ issue, but sadly no action was taken and front desk didn’t make any effort whatsoever to at least acquire a shower curtain. I was tempted to purchase one and install it myself as a tongue-in-cheek goodbye present. It is clear they are trying to upgrade the hotel but doubling the room rates before the work is done is pure greed. Having read all the previous reviews, I am sure that we were given the worse room there, despite the fact that the hotel was not heaving with guests! The biggest disappointment that we experienced with Frangipani was the total lack of interest on the Management’s part, the room rate should at least reflect the ‘quality’ of what you are paying for, it was well overpriced. We weren’t expecting the ritz, but we weren’t expecting the Bates Motel either. Suffice to say, we shall never return….. The beachfront was stunning, the pool/bar area was nicely done up but you can enjoy both by staying some where else and not wasting your money and feeding the owner’s greed."

• Travel date: 30th January 2007

Very nice location, but No Spa at this resort.

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"My husband and I went for a weekend getaway to the Frangipani Langkawi Resort and overall, we had a very nice time. The resort is located on a stunning long white soft powdery beach overlooking some of the islands of Langkawi. The sunsets here are beautiful. The bungalows are set a part from one another resulting in a lot of privacy and quiet. The long stretch of beach also allows people to spread out, although there is usually a herd of people crowding around the swimming pool/bar area. We were a bit disappointed with our room because we booked an "ocean front bungalow" (according to the asia web direct web site). But our room was in the second row, set back from the ocean. We still had a view of the ocean, so it was ok. But I wish they would have called it "ocean view room" instead of ocean front - to set one's expectations. The room was newly renovated, so it still smelled of fresh paint and everything was spotless. But the rooms need some color. There are no paintings or decorations of any kind. And the bare/exposed bed base is very ugly. The outdoor shower was nice, but small. Don't expect anything fancy. The rooms are basic, small, but thankfully very clean. We had the "international buffet" one night at the hotel's restaurant right on the beach. The food was pretty mediocre. You will find this kind of buffet fare at any 3 star hotel in America. The vegetarian choices were very limited. I recommend ordering a la carte instead - the food is much better. Breakfast (included in room rate) was very good. There is a lot of choices, mostly western. And an omelet bar on the beach - very nice. The fruit juice was disapointing. One day they forgot to dilute the mango juice. It was a thick syrup! Although the resort has the word "spa" in it's name, there is NO SPA! There is a massage hut on the beach, where an untrained masseuse will rub you till your skin feels like it is falling off. She had very rough hands, and rubbed in such quick motion that your muscles never felt a thing - just tugging at your skin. I had the massage around 4 pm and I had to lie in the blazing sun because even though the massage is done in a hut, the sun was lower and shone in at an angle. I got so sun burnt. Overall I thought the service was very good. The staff was attentive and quick to respond to your needs without being intrusive. The reception area looks like that of a motel 6. Again, don't expect anything fancy. This resort is very laid back and casual, but the lovely beach and gorgeous sunsets make up for what the resort lacks."

• Travel date: 28th January 2007

Great service

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"Our Vacation was fantastic. We stayed at this great place called Frangipani Lankawi . The Frangipani Lankawi is a wonderfull place to stay with its enthausiastic and frendly personnel, nice clean and wide beach and beautifull sunsets. We are the management most thankfull for all they did for us in order to arrange accomodation for us. We have enjoyed our stay and much appreciate the service we have met. We will definitely come back to this resort next time. Cor, Karin & kids, The Netherlands"

• Travel date: 26th January 2007

A very BIG "hmmm......."

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Hello dear travelers, I have just returned home, from Langkawi island in Malaysia. I went there with my family (6 people totally) from Europe which is far far away from Malaysia. We were planning this trip a long time ago and since its a far destination we wanted to stay to a descent hotel. To be honest I chose this hotel because I read all the reviews of TripAdvisor. They were all excellent! I read so many nice reviews that I thought I was dreaming... I said to myself "this is a nice place to stay and what a nice price!". I booked two triple rooms for 530RM each room per day. They told me that the third person would sleep on an extra bed, and when I asked if this bed is a good one ( I wanted to avoid those bad folded small beds) I was given a good answer. When we went there and checked-in they leaded us to two connected double rooms with two bathrooms. The two extra beds weren't there even if they knew we were 6 persons long time ago... I stayed in the room waiting for the 2 beds for about 45 minutes. While i was waiting in the room (I had the door opened) a very ugly and awful smell came into my nose. The smell became so bad that I couldn't stand it!! I tried to find the source of the smell and I saw a half opened cesspit (!!) 2 meters away from the yard of the room. I went directly at the front desk and tried to explain that i can't stay at these rooms with my family, but they knew it already!! The lady didn't ask me anything like she knew what was happening at these particular rooms. She immediately searched in the computer to find us 2 other rooms!! After a 30 minutes delay, they moved us to other 2 rooms. Number 102 & 105. After another delay of 40 minutes they moved the 2 extra beds from the previous rooms to the new ones. After a 30 minutes delay they brought us two extra towels for the two extra persons. To sum up I lost my whole day moving between rooms and waiting for beds and linens, insted of swimming or relaxing in the sea. I am not the kind of person that complains all the time but I consider that is UNACCEPTABLE to put 6 people to sleep next to an open "sewage plant!" Oh and something else, the matress of the extra bed was AWFUL!!! Nobody can sleep on a matress that has a chuck-hole in the middle!! My brother slept on it for one night and in the morning his chin touched his knees!!! The other 3 nights he slept together with my sister on a single bed! Anyway i tried to forget what happened and tried to have a hot shower "under the stars" as the other travelers have described the "open air" toilets. In the end i had an extra cold shower and the same thing happened at the other room (where my parents stayed). They had a cold shower too! I went to the front desk to complain. They send somebody from the maintenance department after 30 minutes. He went to the bathroom and he turned on every single tap...then closing...then turning on...then closing again....and in the end he told me that the central flow of the hot water of our sector was broken and that tomorrow we will have hot water. What happend? We stayed in this hotel for 4 days and only once in 4 days I had a hot shower!!! At least you are expecting to have hot water if you pay every day around 120 euro!!! Anyway I dont want to get you tired. I will say the good thing of this hotel and the bad things quickly. Good things: 1) Very nice breakfast, variety, good service. 2) The stuff very friendly 3) The food very nice and the decoration of the food even better. 4) The landscape of the hotel in general was very nice. Gardens, palm trees. 5) Good prices. Bad things: 1) The extra bed is useless. Throw it immediately away! 2) There is no hot water in the bathroom...at least at rooms No102&105! 3) Beware of the smells! 4) I saw a huge jelly fish in the sea.. Diameter 50cm! Of course this is not a fault of the hotel... 5) No towels for face or feet! They give only one body towel! 6) No slippers, bring your own from home. 7) The fridge makes so much noise that I unplagged it to sleep. Anyway next time I will go to Langkawi I prefer to stay in a better resort. Good luck!! Kisses, Marianna"

• Travel date: 9th January 2007

The Frangipani Langkawi Resort - excellent

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Booked a Deluxe Garden for two nights over thanksgiving. Construction was still not complete. We were upgraded immediately upon arrival to a deluxe beachfront without requesting. The host manager (Alan?) was very friendly and made us feel welcome. The regular front desk staff was a bit ho-hum, not a complaint though, luggage assistant was very friendly as was the activities rep, bartender, and meal staff. The best part of the cottage was the outdoor shower. Room was clean, water pressure great, bed great, AC perfect. There was still construction going on but we never noticed while trying to sleep. Beach was super clean and very very wide. This place easily ranks in my top 2 - and I've been everwhere. There are hammocks, beach chairs, pool side area, hot tub, small 2 person brick huts with lighting and fans, everything perfect. Dining is alfresco, menu is well varied and available for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is buffet with eggs to order service. 10% is added on all bills so consider when tipping. Please note in talking with management, the hotel is booked solid for Christmas till the third week of jan. While we were there - there was probably about 15 other guest rooms booked, very quiet, not crowded, your pick of chairs, pool to yourself kind thing. The pool was not "huge" so could easily be overwhelmed with many patrons/kids. Beach is massive so wouldnt expect problems. Kayaking and such is not free. Beach bar plays music, good selection but not too quiet if thats what you needed. Some construction ongoing during the day, but you easily tune this out. Mostly rained at night once sun set, so the monsoon season did not factor in. Def go to the cable cars, its amazing. Also, there are daily night markets, we did not go as it was raining but I do believe these are indoors/covered areas so it was our loss. Place was immaculate and service above average overall."

• Travel date: 27th November 2006

Frangipani Resort terrific after rennovation

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Frangipani Resort and Spa at the end of October 2006. We were a little concerened as they were finishing off rennovations, but all the public areas and the majority of the chalets and been completed. Ongoing work was unobtrusive. The beach side location was lovely, but the pool area was so nice our 2 year old had little inclination to leave for the sea. They ahve an adult pool, a kids pool anda jacuzzi area. All clean and well maintained. Our chalet was sparsely but tastefully decorated, and a good size. The shower was good fun - part of the roof was left open to the elements, with big plants growing along one wall. Gave the impression of being in a jungle shower. The staff were very helpful without being over-attentive. At the end, the bill was exactly right. No mistakes, no extras. Hotel restaurant is good, but there are several really good places within walking distance too."

• Travel date: 26th November 2006

Perfect family vacation

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We just returned from Malaysia where we stayed for 8 days at the LVR, now the Frangipani Resort and Spa. I highly recommend this hotel if you want a laid-back holiday in comfortable, relaxing surroundings. It is not for those seeking 5 star luxury but it is perfect for families or groups of friends and for couples wanting somewhere mid-range. One of the best things is the friendly attitude of the staff. They were always welcoming and helpful and by the end of our stay were talking the baby off to play while we ate our meals! We travelled with our 5 year old and our 10 month old baby so we did not do much sightseeing around the island. We just stayed at the hotel relaxing on the beach and in the pool and we were not bored once. There is plenty for kids to do surfing, swimming, shell-collecting etc., there is a nice kids pool and they are going to put in a playground as well. The hotel is really well laid-out, not too crowded but not too big either. If you want more privacy ask for a room at the far end of the beach away from the restaurant. For us it worked well to be closer as we left the kids asleep in the room a few times so we could have a peaceful dinner. The beach is beautiful and pretty much empty the whole time we were there. It is especially beautiful early in the morning so I recommend a walk and swim before breakfast, especially if you are up early with small children! The weather was ideal, warm and breezy but not too hot and the sea was a perfect temperature. We had the pool to ourselves most of the time as well, perhaps because it was not high season. The pool and resaurant area (and the beach of course) are the hotel's best features., very well designed and peaceful. It is lovely to come out of the pool and sit by the bar to order drinks or lunch. The rooms are not fancy but are comfortable and clean. They are currently being renovated and this was a bit of a problem for us due to construction noise right next to our room, which disturbed the baby's naps. BUT the best thing about our stay was that without any prompting the hotel upgraded us to a suite! So we spent most of our holiday in a HUGE room (501 if you are interested in booking it) right on the beach-front. However the deluxe beach-front villas are nice enough in themselves with and the one we were in (360) had a jacuzzi in an open air backyard which was fun for late night bathing. On our last day we spoke to the hotel's owner, Anthony Wong, and he told us that the purpose of the renovations are to make the hotel into a model for sustainable tourism, they are using recycled materials and installing solar panels etc. He is very concerned about the future of the island and is working to persuade local government and other hotels that they need to protect the environment. So that is a good reason to support this hotel in itself, but even without that it is a great place to stay: wonderful, friendly staff, good food and a beautiful situation."

• Travel date: 17th October 2006

Excellent Resort

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"The Frangipani resort and spa is an excellent place with a huge stretch of beach. The rooms are basically arranged as individual buildings facing the beach (the closer you are the more you pay) with a series of ground floor or first floor apartments behind these. We stayed in a Deluxe Beach Front room which was basically on the beach. The rooms have good air-con, fans, fridge, tv and all the usual. They also have the most amazing outdoor shower/rain room so you can actually shower under the stars. The resort itself is perfectly located as it is close to a number of excellent bars and restaurants (in particular try out Sunbar). When we stayed they were in the process of upgrading the resort from a 3 star to a 4 star and I think the work was due to finish by the end of October (although check their website as it does tell you) Our only tip for Langkawi would be to hire a car or motorbike. A taxi will often cost from RM15 to RM50 depending on where you go, however with a little haggling we managed to hire a small car for RM48 per day (and RM30 worth of fuel lasted us about 6 days!!)"

• Travel date: 7th October 2006

Hotels near The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa

The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa is also called

• frangipani resort langkawi
  • the frangipani langkawi hotel
  • village langkawi