About The Danna Langkawi

Good

Colorful Vacations Reviews

Reviewed Mon 16th of March 2015

"Hello Rajesh / Colorful Vacation

I have to say for you guys "cheapest and best option i ever found among all travel agents "very nice and professional arrangements Rajesh guided me in very well manner. Rajesh's explanation really impressed me and made me to believe in you guys. but overall very nice and professional service thanks a lot to Rajesh and Colorful vacation for making my honeymoon memorable :)
will keep referring my friends and family to u guys.

Thanks "

• Travel date: Sat 14th of March 2015

I've found my paradise

Reviewed Fri 29th of March 2013

"I made reservations to stay with my family at The Danna in Langkawi for 4 nights early this December. We were a little worried, as new hotels usually have lots of teething problems. I asked the marketing agent to get me a room on their Club Floor and he said "When you stay at our hotel you'll realize that we don't need a club floor because each and every guest is very special". Boy was he right!!! From the time we stepped in to the stately building, we were treated like royalty. A few things happened that made our stay so memorable, and made me want to go back again.

My prepaid Celcom SIM card ran out of money (more than 30 ringgit) in less than 24 hours, after only 5 text messages and one 37 second overseas call. One staff member Mr Shaan saw me looking distressed and came up to me and asked if he could help. I told him what happened and he took me to the Concierge desk where Ms Noraini called Celcom to enquire about my issue. After Celcom insisted I lost all my credit because I was surfing the web (I don't know how I could have done that from The Danna's gorgeous swimming pool) and that they would not give me a refund, Noraini told me to relax, go back to the pool and that she would arrange for the hotel driver to drive out to get me a Maxis (a much nicer Telco) card. I didn't have any cash on me at that point to give her, but she assured me I could settle it with them later. Half an hour later, a waiter walked into the pool right up to my deck chair to give me a new SIM card with a 30 ringgit credit receipt. I found out later that Noraini saved me 10 ringgit (by not making me purchase a new SIM card) by asking the hotel bellman for his spare SIM card to be loaned to me for the period of my stay. She also saved me a trip to town to look for a Maxis store. I was floored!!!!!!!!

Anywhere we went in the hotel, all the staff , including those that never even served us greeted us with warm smiles and addressed us by our first names!!!!!!!! I'v never been in any other hotel where they didn't stop at only remembering our family name. Truly amazing!!!

Wherever we were in the hotel, staff would constantly come up to ask if they could be of assistance in any way possible, from recommending a restaurant or a tour, to giving us information about sightseeing or shopping, or just to help us with any questions we had about Langkawi in general.

One afternoon when my mom and I were sitting by the pool under one of the cabanas playing cards, we ran out of cigarettes. When the waiter came to give us a fresh ash tray, we told him we didn't need another ashtray since we were out of cigarettes. At that point, Mr Qayyam, the waiter, said "I don't think you need to worry." He proceeded to pull out his own pack of cigarettes from his pocket and put it on our table!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister was eager to have satays and somehow wherever we went, we never found the Malaysian style satays she wanted. One morning durning breakfast we asked one of the wonderful staff members, Ms Nisa, if the chef could prepare satays for breakfast. She said she would check. The next morning, as soon as my sister sat down for breakfast, a huge plate of satays with yummy condiments was placed in front of her!!!!

Ms NIsa and her team of extremely competent and polite serving staff at the Planters restaurant knew my mother is a vegetarian, and every morning, they had the chef prepare a wonderful vegetarian Malaysian dish just for her, even though the breakfast buffet had plenty for a vegetarian to choose from.

The Resort Manager Mr Aamir Khan made sure he came up to speak to us every time he saw us. He was so warm and humble and made us feel really at home.

Every day, the fruit basket in our opulent rooms would be replaced with another fresh basket of fruit, and every night, a creative plate of sweets would be placed on our bedside table, along with a different lovely book mark telling us something new about Langkawi.

Upon arrival, we were treated to a delicious drink in The Danna's Living Room (while our check in was being handled somewhere else) together with a cold towel, and a very relaxing head massage, which immediately put us into "vacation mode".

A week before we were due to arrive at The Danna, we were emailed to ask about our pillow preferences, special dietary requirements, and preferred room-cleaning and bed-turndown times. All the requests we had were met!!!!!!!!

The rooms were nothing short of fabulous. They were huge, luxurious, extremely comfortable, and clean at all times. The hotel staff gave us a late check out. Other hotels I've stayed in do not have your room cleaned the day you are checking out. On that day, housekeeping usually goes in to clean it only after you've checked out. NOT SO AT THE DANNA. I was surprised to enter my room at 4 in the afternoon to find that it had been impeccably cleaned as if I was staying there that night!!!!!

Whenever we wanted to have a meal out of the hotel, the front desk staff were so extremely helpful in pointing out fabulous places that really suited our preferences and in giving us totally accurate directions.

When we were checking out and leaving the hotel, a group of no less than 9 staff members gathered around us to say bye. They also presented us with a lovely gift of The Danna Chocolates.

No matter where I've travelled, I've always been very happy to head back home. But leaving the Danna made me very emotional. And this has never happened to me anywhere else. Mr Aamir Khan has done a fantastic job in creating a wonderful team at The Danna. I really want to go back to my paradise soon."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of December 2010

Wonderful Danna

"The Danna, Langkawi
We visited the Danna Hotel when we went to Langkawi. We were most impressed by the splendour of the building in a wonderful location. The accommodation is very clean,comfortable and luxurious and all brand new.
We dined in the restaurant and what an experience!! For a starter, We had a generous portion of Caesar salad served with a variety of warm delicious homemade bread with their special olive oil dips. For the main course, I had an exquisitely tender grilled salmon served with an array of vegetables. My husband had a delicious fillet steak which he enjoyed very much. There was live, soft music in the background by some local artists. A delightful dining experience.
After dinner we sat by the pool which was an experience of a kind. The swimming pool is one of the best infinity pools I have ever seen. The sight is just awesome as it is illuminated from all the sides and swimming under the tropical sky is an awesome experience.
We were very impressed with the staff and their hospitality. Our special thanks to Qayyam and Vyjanthi for looking after us so well. We would love to visit the Danna again on our next visit."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of December 2010

Fantastic Honeymoon at The Danna!

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We booked the hotel at a time when there was not even one rating at the internet about the hotel, but since I was looking for a excellent 5 star hotel and many of the other places in Langkawi werent rated too good - or way more expencive - we decidet to take the risk and stay 3 nights at this brand new hotel.
On arrival the really amasingly friendly staff new our names ( actually the manager told us that there were only about 15 other guests beside us), gave us an fruitcocktail and an little massage! and upgraded us to a lager room on the 5th floor with sea-view.
The room was very good, very beautiful view over the sea and equipped with modern brand new furniture and media stuff like ipod dock and large flatscreen tv. In total the room is about 65sqm with a very good shower and bathtube and the option to open a large door to the main room for daylight in the bathroom.
The pool is excellent and beautifull although it could be cooler- probably not really possible or wanted by most of the guests.
The beach is very beautifull for walking but since the water was a bit dimmish due to the heavy rainfalls we had in the afternoons we prefered the pool for bathing.
The breakfast was the only thing that needs some improvements for my taste. I ve been traveling a lot so far and know how a 5 star breakfast is supposed to be. Quality of the products was very good but its not really been much to choose from. BUT as I said, the hotel was only open for two weeks and its been only 17 guests there when we stayed so I think they will probably widen their menu a bit in the future.
And again, the staff was amasingly friendly.
At the last evening we even got a honemoon cake to our room which was really a sweet idea.
All in all - a perfect location for our honeymoon.

Note: We took a rental car from kuala lumpur up the coast and then with the ferry since we wanted to see more of the country. I woulnd do that again since you have to go to langkawi by ferry boat which is very noisy and uncomfortable. Take a flight (which is cheap) and if you wanna see other parts come back to kuala lumpur, take a rental and go whereever you want. Way too many kids on the ferry screaming all the time very loud!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of December 2010

A non forgotable stay

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We stayed for two nights in this hotel and we still remember it as the most wonderful and the most joyful stay ever inour entire journey. The room was elegant with a spacious balcony and a very beautiful and fascinating view. The staff were helpful and friendly and they made our stay a non forgotable one."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of December 2010

Thank You The Danna!!!!!!!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"when i arrived at Langkawi Island with my wife and kid,I'm very surprised with the hotel that i was booked,because it's so busy and no privacy for us. and than i decided to change another hotel. Than i saw THE DANNA near Harbor Park area. This is new hotel and very beautiful location.

For the first time I enter the lobby area,I'm very surprised because the lobby very nice and the staff very friendly welcoming me event I'm not staying there. this is what I need during vacation.

I'm asking one of the front desk staff named AMIN,about facilities in the hotel. He showed me all the facilities and room very well,clear,and professional. With the explanation from him,I decided to stay in The Danna for 6 days.

During stay,everything is totally perfect for us,with the great breakfast, very superb room cleaning,and nice atmosphere,we fell relax and enjoy my vacation. All staff very friendly with me,my wife and especially my son (Roman).

I'm also got a surprise from the hotel when they gave me a cheese cake for my birthday,and everybody remember my birthday,that why i like The Danna very much...
THANK YOU.

A day before my birthday,Amin and Intan offered me to continue stay here and celebrate my birthday,and I it's worth it because i got a great memory in my life when celebrating my birthday outside my country."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of December 2010

Danna - Out of the Ordinary

Good
Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"The Danna Langkawi was not on my radar when I was reading up on top-end hotels in Langkawi a couple of months back. It didn't even existed then! Westin, Andaman and Sheraton (in that order) were actually on my short-list. However, after reading hundreds of reviews, none seemed quite right (Westin - no real beach), Andaman (too out-of-the-way) and Sheraton (getting dated). So of course, I was in a quandary as I had already booked my air-tickets. Then I chanced upon a feature on The Danna Langkawi. The photos of the hotel looked very inviting but try as I might, I could not find a single review at that time since the hotel had yet to open its doors. Despite that, I decided to take a chance and booked a Merchant room (opening promotion RM$800nett including breakfast) - convincing myself that the hotel is brand new so everything would be clean, spotless and as great as shown in the photos. What’s more it has a smoke-free policy, something which I appreciate very much.

The Danna is a very unique hotel in Langkawi. With a British Colonial architecture, it is very different from the typical tropical Kampong-style village resort. In fact, at certain angle, guests might even forget that they’re in Langkawi, especially looking out into the Mediterranean-style harbour. It’s quite a peculiar feeling! As a boutique hotel with just over 100 rooms, the hotel exudes an indescribable sense of intimacy that is heart-warming. It has an overall colonial feel to it with posh, stately furniture and fine fittings. That said, its opulence is enticing, not intimidating. Being at Pantai Kok, it is away from the maddening crowd (in Pantai Cenang) yet not too remote to the point of being inaccessible (we actually drove to the Andaman to check it out and were quite taken aback that it is so far away from everything!). In contrast, the Danna offers peace and quiet but is just a short drive away from must-visit tourist attractions like the Cable Car, Suspension Bridge, Oriental Village, Telaga Tujuh (the Seven Wells) Waterfall. Travelling there is easy, just RM$8 -10 taxi ride per way or simply rent a car (we paid RM$150 a day) which the hotel can arrange easily. For guests keen on horse-riding, there is an establishment at the junction of the road offering rides on the beach or through the forest. My son was reluctant to try this, so we went on a mangrove tour (arranged by the hotel) and tried the Go-Kart (near the airport, 15 mins drive away) instead.

Situated next to Telaga Harbour, the hotel is in an enviable position to offer its guests excellent rooms with mountain (Mat Chincang), harbour or sea views. Looking out into the Andaman sea dotting with yachts is indeed very soothing to the soul. And as the Perdana Quay is just next door, there is plenty to excite the palate after sampling what the hotel restaurant has to offer (which at the moment does not really have an extensive menu, being so new). This means indulging in Russian, Spanish, Italian or Japanese cuisine (surprising all very good without burning a hole in my pocket!) while the eyes feast on the mesmerizing views of the harbour. After that, take a walk on the boardwalk that fringe the harbour. Walking to the end (not more than 10mins stroll), will bring one to a building housing a North Indian restaurant and KFC. Next to it is a big Petronas Petrol Station with a huge convenience store within, complete with a small café offering quick snacks. Breakfast in the hotel is good and we were given a choice to have it in the room or at the restaurant. The staff do go out of their way to cater to our specific food preferences (for eg, the chef was prepared to cook eggs in five different ways!) We had breakfast there for 3 days as part of the package and even though the buffet counter might look small, we were never once tired of the varieties bec they do cook to order. My son truly enjoyed being served like royalty!

The Danna Langkawi boasts of having the biggest infinity pool on the island and it is indeed pretty impressive. What is lacking though are beach umbrellas and lush greeneries like palm trees to shelter guests from the scorching sun and blistering heat. Even for sun-worshippers, it might get a tinge too hot. My son enjoyed his laps in the pool and had a whale of a time splashing water with his dad. One word of caution though – the pool is of differing levels which is not obvious at first glance, so guests must make sure they’ve a good idea where these levels are before treading or swimming in it. The beach just outside the hotel is not very wide although the sand is very fine. (The Andaman appears to have a wider beach.) However, just 50 metres away to the right, lies a beach that locals seem to adore (but is never crowded). The hotel offers only non-motorized sports like kayaking and para-sailing as motorized sports are only allowed on Cenang Beach. I was very relieved upon learning this for I have a zero tolerance for noise and filthy air. (We drove to Cenang Beach once and it was, to me, too crowded and chaotic with a zillion activities happening on the beach!) The hotel can also arrange different nature walks (there is a complimentary morning basic nature walk lasting an hour) and cruises. There are two man-made islands just in front of the hotel which are accessible by mere kayaking. Apparently, they were made with the sand that was dug out to make the harbour! From the beach, one can also get a good view of the lighthouse. During one of my early morning walks, I chanced upon a red-roof dilapidated traditional building and realised that it was the set used in the Hollywood Movie, Anna and the King! Imagine the whole set just right next to the hotel. Pantai Kok must have appealed to the director of the movie then.

For the romantics, dining by the pool under the stars in candlelight is a must-do. Just have to pray for fine weather! We had our table so lovingly set up and it was almost magical but alas, the flashing lightning did not give us a chance to indulge. As for our room, it was, as expected, huge (65 sq m) and spotlessly clean with brand new furniture and fittings. The bathroom was of a very good size and its window framed the harbour perfectly. We were upgraded to a Grand Viceroy room which has a huge verandah complete with table, chairs and a day bed for guests to lounge about. Being a worshipper of the clean and neat, I was truly satisfied with the condition of the room. Everything was spin-and-span. A fruit basket appeared on our table every morning and at turn-down, we would find a slip of paper relating a Langkawi legend and a plate of sweets that was very artistically presented. Kudos to the housekeeping staff who was very hardworking and spared no effort to make sure that our room was spotless. Whenever it rained, my husband and son would happily retreat to the Billiard room while I slipped into the very cozy Reading Room which incidentally has a superb view of the pool and sea. My son also spent quite a fair amount of time at the Kids Club which is very well-laid out, equipped and overall excellent. Internet access is free throughout the hotel, be it in the room, business centre or the kids club. Being a fitness enthusiast, I was also very happy to find the gym open around the clock. It is of a reasonable size (for a hotel gym) complete with Precor treadmills, elliptical machines, stationary bikes, yoga mats and weights.

Having said so much, I think what makes the hotel truly special is its people. From the doorman, bell boy, front office, housekeeping staff to the Kids Club nannies, waiters, managers, all appear very enthusiastic and eager to assist and please, always with a ready smile on their faces. They were not only professional but also genuinely warm with the ability to speak English competently. Even before I checked in, a Guest Relation Planner (GEP) had contacted me on my pillow preferences and enquired if I had any special dietary needs. And upon checked-in, we were duly provided with what we had requested (memory foamed pillows for my husband and kapok pillows for my son and me). The Danna suits those who appreciate enjoying the finer things in life and being pampered after a long day exploring the island."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of November 2010

During My stay

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"excellent service from front office service
very professional and 5 star service but more than 5 star.
aida,amin,noraini ,and others very helpful"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of November 2010

"The Danna is Paradise on Earth"

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"What can we say about our whole trip experience with this new resort......"absolute paradise".

The fabulous experience started with pre-trip contact from Aida (our guest experience planner) who checked on our special requirements / tours etc. This was particularly important as we had a two year old who had special needs ie. cot etc.

On arrival, we were greeted by our guest experience planner by hotel transfer and upon arriving at the hotel, we were warmly welcomed by all staff from the bell boys to the the other reception staff, felt like royalty.

Whilst checkin was being prepared we were offered welcome drinks and a quick head and neck massage by the friendly staff which was highly welcomed. Before going to our room, time was taken to show us the main parts of the resort ie. bar, billiard room, pool, restaurant, spa / gym etc.

Agree with the other reviews that the rooms were absolute class, very roomy, stylish and ours had great views of the mountains where the cable cars were. The bathroom was WOW....two basins and two shower heads and a cozy bath tub that could fit three and a very stylish decor.

The pool is stunning, the best I have seen against a stunning beach backdrop and plenty of seating (of all types) around all the pools and also with easy access to the beach. The pool staff were very sharp and highly attentive and friendly. The only minor improvement would be a few more shady areas (palms or trees) that could help shelter the beltering sun.

The location of the resort was also superb as it was right next to the Telaga Harbour with a variety of nice restaurants to keep everyone happy if you decide not to dine in the hotel which also had great food / service at Planters. Additionally it was close to the cable car (7 mins) and only about 20-30 mins from the pantai cenang (main beach stretch).

Everywhere we went within the resort, we were treated with warm friendly greetings and had some great conversations and what capped it off was the cake organised by our planner on our 10th anniversary in our room and the well wishes from the staff.

Thank you to all staff at THE DANNA, you have made our 10th anniversary trip memorable and very special, we will be back if we are ever in town .........."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of November 2010

Great Malaysian hospitality

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"Our trip was perfect from the very moment we touchdown at the airport - the staff welcomed us at the airport and sent us to the hotel in a private car. During our short car ride to the hotel (about 15 minutes), our relationship manager (RM) gave us a brief introduction to the beautiful island of Langkawi. He suggested a visit to the cable car - a mere RM10 taxi ride from the resort, and it was well-worth it. The view from the top was awesome. As it was raining that morning, the hotel staff called to ensure that the cable car was in operation.
Our RM also assisted in making arrangements such as tours, meals on the beach, car rental, etc. The whole time we were at the hotel, we were greeted by name and I found that to be a nice personal touch. The hotel staff, although some lacking in experience, were made up by their eagerness to please and their genuine friendliness and helpfulness. It's truly Malaysian hospitality at its best!
The rooms were nice and spacious. We were given a seaview room and it was beautiful. The pool is fantastic, one of the best I have seen in my many travels. The beds were heavenly (so plush and comfortable I could lie in bed the entire day) and I really liked the double vanity and rain shower. We had a few meals at the restaurant (The Planters) and the food is as expected of any 5-star hotel. I recommend the mushroom soup, pan fried cod fish and curry noodles. Get the hotel to arrange for a romantic dinner by the pool!
We had a fantastic experience and will definitely stay at the hotel if we ever visit Langkawi again!"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of November 2010

Stunning addition to Langkawi

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"The Danna was a marvelous hotel from start to finish. Nestled quietly in Pantai Kok, it provided a very peaceful and relaxing weekend and escape from the craziness of KL.

My wife and I decided to fly to Langkawi for her birthday weekend via Air Asia and arrived in Langkawi in great time from KLIA-LCCT,s and were greeted warmly by a very pleasant staff. While we were being checked in, we were treated to a welcome fruit drink and a shoulder massage. We were surprised to find that our room was upgraded to the Viceroy room and had a marvelous view of the beach and of their pool.

The hotel itself is quite large and boasts and beautiful courtyard in the middle, a billiards room, a game room, a library, a spa, and several restaurants/cafes/bars.

The room had a very comfortable king sized bed, a large bathtub, and a double showerhead (traditional and rainshower) shower. It also contained a new flatscreen television with an assortment of Astro Channels and a great balcony. The room was extraordinarily clean and well decorated.

The infinity pool was an absolute marvel (and not freezing cold like all the pools in KL seem to be...) Complete with loungers in the middle of the pool and fountains galore, it was well serviced by observant attendants and provided a great accoutrement to the hotel's decadent style.

The breakfast buffet was complete with British, Malay, and American breakfast styles. The coffee was also good (if you've been in Malaysia a while, you know "coffee" has variable meanings if you're a westerner). The hotel also provided a morning "eye-opener" as an addition to their complete breakfast.

The hotel's location is quite nice, because it is adjacent to the Telaga Harbour Park restaurants and if you time your arrival correctly, the RM3 beers that their Happy Hour's provide;-). The food at the hotel restaurant is a bit pricey as one would expect from this caliber of hotel, but the restaurants around it can offset your expenses nicely.

Overall, we found this hotel to be an amazing experience. The staff was welcoming and quite caring of our needs. We do plan to return to this hotel and look forward to quiet beach walks and their immaculate pool."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of November 2010