Sunset Beach Resort

Jalan Pantai Tengah, Pantai Cenang, Langkawi 07000 Malaysia

Good

So CLEAN and well-maintained!

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My stay there was from Oct 20th to the 22nd (3d2n) and it was a wonderful experience.

I was rather scared the hotel would turn out dismal after reading reviews on this website but both of us were in for a lovely surprise!
The entire place maintains a beautiful balinese garden decor right up from the front of the hotel all the way through and through even to the rooms. We stayed at Sunset 2 as Sunset 3 was fully booked and it is indeed well worth the money. The room was adequately furnished, clean (very important to me!) and everything was in working condition. Plenty of comfortable furniture and even the drapes were clean and dust free. The bathroom was well-lit and had good ventilation. The water heater worked well and no problems with drainage. The room looked quite much like as advertised on the website albeit minus a few of the more lavish furnishings shown.

The staff were truly very warm, friendly and helpful and tried their utmost to help us solve any problems we had with our itenerary.
Good location. Plenty of food nearby and within walking distance to nearby minimarts.

Downside:
1) Pantai Cenang itself is quite far from Kuah town.
2) No swimming pool if thats what you are looking for.
3) If it rains, you will be stuck in your chalet unless you have an umbrella.

We were quite contented to spend as much time as possible here. We had a lovely stay and will most definitely go back."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of November 2006

Beautifull garden

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"At first we stayed at the beach garden resort, which is oke, but Sunset has much more style. Rooms (sunset model 2)are spacious, and you can boil your own cup of tea.
The garden is really beautifull en paths are clean.
The staff is very friendly.
Breakfast is not very much.

The hotelbeach has its own sunbeds and the beach is very nice.
We found the room clean and nice furniture

Martin and Rose from holland"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of November 2006

Quite Nice

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"I visited Langkawi from Oct 23-27 2006. Spent the first night at another hotel (very dismal) and the next 3 nights at Sunset Beach Resort.

The place was fully booked at that time since Malaysia was celebrating Deepavali and end of Ramadan. Nevertheless, I'm glad we booked at Sunset... It's a simple beach resort designed with an Asian theme which I quite liked.

The room was simple and the beds were quite nice. Hot water was also important and I was so glad that it was available.

The resort had its own beachfront and was accesible to a lot of other places (although most of my time was spent at the beach!). I would spend every morning running through the beach, from Sunset to The Lanai resort then return to my resort via the main road. Got the chance to look at the other beach front places and they all looked the same, but I doubt it if the others got the same deal we got for Sunset.

If you're a no nonsense person and you don't need all the usual hotel amenities, this resort is for you.

The resort staff were quite nice and would assist me in every way possible. Special mention goes to Ida, the lady who manned reception during the day, would greet us every morning by our first names! Which was kind of sweet. She had all sorts of brochures ready and had her personal recommendations. She even helped book us with Langkawi Canopy Adventures (<< must try this one!).

Breakfast is nothing fantastic. Just your standard Continental/American breakfast (only bread/coffee/tea were unlimited). And besides, who would want to wake up early on a beach holiday!!! If you still want to catch breakfast, go to Beach Garden Resort (breakfast is served until 1 pm). Its kinda far but you can try walking; it would be worth the effort!

By the way, they don't have their own in-house restaurant but you can go over the fence to Oasis for some yummy Tandoori or Western food or venture out to Sunset's sister establishments like Sunset Cafe, Sunset Village, Sunba, SunKarma and SunSutra. There's also your usual "by the road" eating places which are all within walking distance.

Since the resort does not have its own resto, go to the nearest mini-grocery for your supplies, like bottled water, some duty-free alcohol and chocolates!

If I had a chance to go back to Langkawi, I would return to Sunset Beach Resort!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of October 2006

Marvellous beach, great accomodation

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"I was in Langkawi for 3 days 2 nights (6-8th Oct), staying at Sunset Beach Resort and I have to say that I'm more than satisfied with this place. I got the small room (max 2 persons) for RM110 pernight inclusive of 2 breakfast coupons which I think was a good deal.

Being my first overnight stay in Langkawi, I was initially quite overwhelmed with the various kinds of accomodations available, ranging from chalets, rooms, concept resorts etc etc. I even asked for advise here but eventually settled for this one. I was actually looking for a concept resort or chalet kind of an accomodation near the beach and preferably with breakfast included and this resort met my requirements.

It is situated at almost the end of Pantai Tengah, beside Oasis. Walking distance to Pantai Cenang and most of the eateries/souvenir/grocery stores. Also very near to the Underwater World and the shopping mall.

The setup for the place gives you a feeling of bring in a lush organic/tropical setting, pebble walkways, lots of balinese/siamese wooden structures, palm trees and potted plants. To me, I felt that I was in another place altogether, really gives you the idea that you are away from everything else.

The rooms comes in a few sizes, and are built chalet style with about 30 rooms in total, I think, didn't count em. Each chalet might house a few rooms depending on the room sizes. Chalets are built on the left and right of the resort area leading to the beach, and are quite adequately spaced with lots of plants and trees as not to look too congested. I took the smallest room and within the same chalet we had 4 rooms in a row. Room furnishing is pretty decent, twin double bed, bathroom with a shower head, wardrobe, aircon, tv. Decor was ok too, with some balinese/siamese type decor on the walls and in the bathroom. No complaints here.

The beach area was fantastic, exceeded my expectations because I expected lots of people and noises, but in actual fact it was on the contrary. The beach area for this resort like I mentioned earlier was at the end of Pantai Tengah, and was not crowded, in fact it is quite isolated at the time of visit (due to off-peak periods maybe). You can expect a clean beach, with continuous sounds of crashing waves, and of course a beautiful sunset during the evenings. Perfect place to relax, read a book, or just to lie down on the beach chair to chill out. I'm not too sure how it would be during peak seasons, but it was just perfect when I visited it. No sunrise to see here though, because the beach is facing west ;-)

The resort has a cafe between the chalets and the beach where they serve the usual western breakfast, bread, toast, cornflakes, scrambled eggs, bacon. It is facing the beach and the sea, a very relaxing area to have your breakfast in the mornings before you set out to explore the island later.

Overall, personally for me I think this is a good place to stay, and just for the beach alone I would certainly return here the next time should I come to Langkawi again. My only complaint is that the aircon unit in my room was a little noisy at night, but I think that is something minor which the staff can easily improve upon in the near future.

Last but not least, the staff were very warm and friendly for the duration of my stay over there.

I hope this helps some of you who are contemplating on where to put up the night in the Langkawi."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

A No-No Indeed

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"Second time staying at the hotel. First time was in end of 2004 and back then, everything was good. Good and friendly service, good facilities, attentive staff, etc.
My recent stay however, was a complete opposite. Staff were very begrudging when asked for services, very unfriendly. Toilet's flush didn't work and we asked for repair, which they did. However, no difference before and after repair. We had to practically fill up one of the vases with water from tap and pour into the tank before we could flush the toilet!!! That was absurd. Service was poor and the room we stayed in wasn't the cleanest.
I should have taken some of the reviews here seriously before deciding to go ahead and book the place.
After this stay, there won't be a third stay anymore."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of October 2006

Adequate, but seems a bit run-down

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"This is a rustic, natural sort of place, with fairly basic accomodation and bathrooms. So, it isn't a good choice for those expecting 3/4 star hotel facilities. The location is good, with pleasant gardens and friendly staff.

But the plumbing is dodgy, and water supply inadequate to meet requirements - shower runs dry if many of the huts are occupied and bathrooms being used. Electrical items don't all work e.g. tv, kettle, air-con and there is little impetus to fix anything that is broken.(despite us mentioning the problems to the staff)

Lack of maintenance in the harsh tropical climate means that the resort is likely to continue deteriorating."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of June 2006

Losing its appeal.

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"The first time when we were recommended the place in 2004, we found it to be 1 of the best. But as time went by and considered the fact that we are returning guest, found that the rooms we got were not maintained well. Air cond was not cold and the rooms smelt moldy. The recent trip, we stayed together with with 3 cockroaches which 1 was killed and to our amazement, housekeeping never cleared it till the day we checked out(4D3N).Though staff are friendly, but rooms could do some touching up. LOCALS, BEWARE!!! You may be given one of these bad rooms.

For good food, go to Imperial which next to the Underwater World. Food is good and so is the service. Ask for Mr.Jaya, who is ever willing to recommend."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of May 2006

Undiscovered gem - shud stay that way!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I was refered to this resort by my dear friend who had initially stayed there and then later became a regular there. When I first arrived there, I was kinda thinking it won't be great because there isn't much done up at the front. But after entering the resort, I was greeted by some really great landscape and gardens are fantastic. Immediately I felt very relax and that's the whole reason of my journey there. The staff, I have to say is the best I have met. They have been so helpful and ensured that all our needs are taken care of. First class service for any resort level! The room is comfortable and I have absolutely no complains. I enjoyed reading my books at the balcony of my room and the serenity of the place is spectacular. However, the beach is nothing to shout about really.

The resorts' restaurant is a MUST VISIT. For that price I must say I got a really realy good deal. We had lobster spread and lots of seafood and it's worth every penny spent!

What I like about this place is that the place has it's own characteristic. Unlike other resorts, they are just very commercialised. This is not the case for this resort. I am definitely going to come back whenever I visit Langkawi again!"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of April 2006

Good place at a realistic price

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My husband and I have just returned to the UK from Oz and enjoyed stopovers in Langkawi and KL. Stayed at the Sunset Beach resort (Langkawi) on the way over for 2 nights, found it to be comfortable with nice gardens and the beach was lovely. This is not a 5 star resort, you get what you pay for. Outdoor bathroom adequate with hot water, air conditioning worked well and the bed was comfortable. We hired a car from the airport which I strongly advise, was approx £9 per day for a Proton. Spent a lovely afternoon in the beach bar at the Four Seasons Hotel, my husband thought he had died and gone to heaven!!
We also had a lovely lunch at the Bon Ton, no ther meals were particularly memorable, dinner at the Lighthouse restaurant was very average, although the outlook is great and worth going to for that alone."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of April 2006

Website is a sham

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"I found the Sunset beach resort listed in Lonely planet guide book, which listed the website address, after checking this viewing the photos and checking the room rates, I thought that this looked like quite a good resort and not badly priced, how wrong I was.

We arrived at nearly midnight on 23rd December, after getting lost in the hire car, however finally arrived, first impression from the lobby area, and the check in was OK, basic but not that bad compared to resorts I have stayed at in Thailand, then we were given the key to the room!!!!!

Very bad, very big, hard bed, aircon sounded like 747 taking off, TV did not work, fridge was warm, bathroom had dripping water from a broken tap, no shower curtain so water went all over the floor, sheets were grubby.

Within 5 minutes I was on the phone to every other resort in Langkawi, however as Christmas not much luck.

I have to say that the people working at the Sunset resort were very nice, after I told them that we would be checking out the next day as we did not like this resort, it was no problem at all, and they even offered to help me find another resort, how very very kind.

But honestly I have stayed in cheap resorts in Thailand and they are far far better than those I have seen in Langkawi.

We moved to Berjaya resort and paid a fortune for a less than perfect Christmas holiday, I will not visit Langkawi again, Thailand has much better resorts with far better service, and your money goes alot further."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of March 2006

Hotels near Sunset Beach Resort

Stayed at Sunset Beach Resort? Share your insight.

Sunset Beach Resort is also called