Good

What's A Crazy Rule .......

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2013

"I cross 2 cases that unforgotable crazy ........ Its the most boring place I've stayed

First was I booked a restaurant that offer me pick up at Awana Porto Malai Langkawi ....... but the pick up transport was blocked unreasonable and I was called to walk outside to the block point from hotel lobby.

Second was almost same. This time was booked for spa treatment also with free tranfer. Again I have to walk out to the block point to get the trasport.

Can you feel what I feel ....... My spa time was disturb .......

Please concern and provide something good for hotel guest's ....... especially freedom of convenient which offered."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of August 2008

Stay Somewhere Else

Reviewed Thu 17th of January 2013

"This place looks grand in the photos and for sure has spectacular views, but its the most boring place I've stayed in. The whole place is well past its sell-by date. The room is clean and spacious but everything about it is old and jaded. You might be a long hike along the boardwalk to get to your room also. The whole place seems lifeless, day and night; lovely boardwalk but no people! You definitely need a car if you stay here. Breakfast a pretty average spread of noodles n stuff. I bought my own mangos as even the supply of local fruit was limited to water melon and pineapple. So it may be cheap but get yourself up over the hill to Pantai Cenang if you want to stay in this corner of the islands."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of June 2008

Beautiful view

Reviewed Fri 18th of January 2013

"Stayed in Awana for 2 nights. Extremely nice and big area, beautiful scenery, romantic boardwalk with motorboats and yachts docked. Occasionally Star cruiseliner is there too.
Perfect place for candlelight dinner for two.

Staffs at the reception are very helpful and friendly. Buffet breakfast is fanstastic with a huge spread of Asian and continental fare. Bread, croissant, cheese, hot muffins,sausages, porridge, fried noodles, rice, nasi lemak, lots of curries. salads etc,etc. Kids are charged RM10 each.

Island hopping activities is recommended. The staff manning that section is very informative and helpful. Private boat rides and night fishing trips can be arranged.

Must go to their spa, Taman Sari, the girls there are very professional. Had the Javanese aromatherapy massage for one hour for RM120. Highly recommended.

Rooms are big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. However, the toilet in my room stinks and they are not generous with their toiletries. The housekeeping section needs a lot of improvement.

Despite that, the stay is worth it for the minimal price that we paid."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of June 2008

Great For Family of 4

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2013

"We were looking for a decent hotel to fit in 2 adults 2 kids and Awana Porto Malai offered the best option.

We got the deluxe sea facing room with 2 queen sized beds. While breakfast was palatable as we only need to pay RM10 per kid while our room comes with breakfast for two, I would really rate the view from the room to be amongst the best.

Serene and peaceful, Awana Porto Malai will be the place to be. Nestled at the tip of Tanjung Malai, you can hear an occasional boat docking or taking off from the marina. Other than that, we have birds flying about and I am captivated by the view from my room.

It is basically what we need, a clean room and decent beds for our tired bodies after a day out to the islands or swamps or the hills or even a day's out to Kuah for duty free shopping. The staff although seem more accomodating to the foreigners while we locals dont seem to get the attention we need.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you desire for a clean and decent place to stay in Langkawi and for the price, I think its value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of May 2008

Mediocre.

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"First of all, this hotel has a posh name....and boast beautiful sceneries. It stopped at that.

The rooms are tired looking, old, with furnitures reminiscing college dormitories.
The staff are nice though.
Food is mediocre as well.
I personally dislike the location...yes, it has a spectacular view but it is far from the beaches and shops.
Its cheaper for you to rent a car rather than calling the taxi...RM26 for a trip from the hotel to Kuah (only for a trip) in contrast toRM60 for a car for 24hrs..you can travel to Kuah (and other places) as many times as u want to."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of November 2007

wonderful view!!!!

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"It is a good hotel, nice staff, wonderful view!!! but far away if you are planning to stay there you better have a car!!!!
I got more than what I pay!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of October 2007

Not too bad

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Book this place through the budget airline package Air Asia.

I think the hotel used to be better but is old now.

Quite cheap with the flights thrown in. (Kuala Lumpur-Langkawi-Kuala Lumpur)

Set in a secluded corner of the island. Nice scenery. But you have to rent a vehicle when you get to the airport. Driving around this island is fun.

Breakfast was bland. Nothing to shout about.
Room was ordinary. The seaview rooms are slightly more expensive but definitely better than car park view.

Pool was super crowded unless you want to fight with the kids."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of September 2007

Tired but a good deal for $40USD

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"This place is way past its prime. Looks like it was great around 1990, but a bit forlorn now. The room was a good value at only $40USD per night with a buffet breakfast but if you are looking for romance, or anything other than basic, clean, safe accomodation, look elsewhere.

There is a nice waterfront walkway (but most hotel shops sit vacant) and many rooms have sea views, but the swimming pool is curiously positioned in the middle of the parking lot...hmmmm!

You need to have a rental car if you stay here unless you really like walking in hot, humid, climates. The beach and closest restaurants are at least a 20 minute walk.

Unless you are arriving in high season, I think you could do better just by getting a rental car or scooter on arrival at the airport or ferry terminal, and going directly to one of the dozens of small, independent guesthouses that sit on the beautiful Pantai Cenang beach on this part of the island."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of April 2007

Need refurbishment but ...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Even if we took a deluxe room, it is obvious that the hotel need to be refurbish BUT if you don't want to spend more than 220 MYR and have the facilities of a hotel, you will found that this hotel is a good compromise comparing to the other accomodations in Langkawi.
Be aware that they is no beach here only a promenade along the shore.
The beach is few minutes drive from the hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of February 2007

Fascinating Awana

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"After reading various reviews about this hotel on various websites including this one, I was a bit depressed when my travel agent suggested that this was the only good property available during the New Year's Eve time. We were on our honeymoon and didnt want to miss Langkawi and decided to hop in. Fortunately, we were booked in the Club suite Room and guess what....it is one of the most amazing places I have stayed in the world. We stayed in the new wing and the view was out of this world. The hotel does not have a beach, but it is right on the ocean front having a huge boardwalk where you can take romantic walks on a moonlit night. The Suite rooms were huge with a separate living area and an absolutely huge bathroom. The morning breakfast was also great. The hotel had a live band playing every night in the lobby and also has a happening pub in the town. The only disadvantage is that the beach is approx 15 mins walk or 5 minutes by scooter to the nearest beach. But, I would defintely recommend this property for those willing to spend less and get more......Enjoy your stay at Awana Porto Malai!!"

• Travel date: Mon 8th of January 2007

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I visited the Awana Porto Malai during September with some friends and was slightly skeptical after reading some of the reviews posted, but found the hotel to be absolutely fantastic. We stayed there for 11 nights and were very pleased. We booked a pool view room but received a free upgrade to an ocean view room. The views were stunning. The pool was perfect on hot days. The staff were very friendly, always smiling and willing to help.

We also booked for breakfast daily and the buffet breakfast was great, lots of variety for any taste.

Although it is a little bit further out than some of the other hotels/resorts in Pantai Cenang, this never inconvenienced us in any way and it was nice in a way.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay there again when I need accommodation in Langkawi again."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

Excellent value, scenic environment, nice exterior, poor room furniture

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We stayed at Porto Malai for a night. For RM150 I paid per night, I said that it is excellent. We got a upgraded room with a big balcony facing the sea. The hotel has a grand exterior but yet relaxing environment. It is quiet and has excellent scenaries. It has great kid pools. The hotel faces east. It never got too hot while we were there. The location was okay. Good restaurants are with 5 minutes drive.

The room itself is on the cheap side. The furniture is sturdy but barebone and the bed is hard. The morning hallway traffic could be heard. Nevertheless, we had a good night sleep. It has a very nice pier where guests can feed variety of fish daily at 6:30 pm. My kids loved it. I think the hotel is excellent value for the money if you don't care much for the room furniture. Get a sea facing room!"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of August 2006