Good

Beautiful setting, great people, fantastic

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My girlfriend and i have been travelling SE Asia fro around 2 and a half months now and this is the best place we have stayed in yet! The owner (Di) is the most welcoming and hospitable man we have met on our travels and helped us out in so many ways, booking trips for us, taking us to the good beaches and recommending great places to eat (cheap or fancy) is just to name a few.
The resort is made up of only six rooms set the jungle that is a mere 15 minute walk from the beach, the gardens of the resort are unbelievable thanks to marc, who keeps the place in check. Its just a great place to unwind and relax or plug your music into the communal covered area (The Balai) and have a bit of a party with a few friends.
The resort provides cooking facilities with free tea and coffee, bread and eggs, so to all you backpackers out there on a shoestring it can really save you some beans if you can cook for yourself and everything you need is at the place.
All in all, its a laid back place with great owners, cute dogs and it has whatever atmosphere you want it to have.
Cheers to Di and Marc!"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of October 2008

One of the best!

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"We first came across Pondok Keladi through Tripadvisor and decided to try and book with them due to their squeaky clean reviews but couldn't find a website for the property. To get intouch with them just type into google ''travel-library pondok keladi'' and you ull find the link for their official contact details.

Anyway, all the reviews are spot on! Upon contacting the property the owner Dee (Rosidi) got back to us rapid quick. At the time of our stay we were the only guests there as Dee had just finished renovating our room and it was the only one ready.

The rooms here are neat, tidy and cleaned daily. Towels are also provided. They a have hot/cold water showers, A/C, fan and a fridge. Perfect! The kitchen is shared (2 seconds from all rooms) and again is clean and tidy (also guests are to help themselves to anything in the fridge-very kind).

The accommodation is tucked away down a lane 10 minutes walk away from duty free shops, supermarkets, bars, resturants and Pantai Tengha beach. Further along towards Pantai Chenang there are many more of the above as well as another beach.

All in all this little resort is a great place to stay. It's clean, well kept, has lovely gardens and surroundings, quiet, convenient...i could go on and on. The owner Dee and his friend Mark are extremely helpful and really couldn't make you feel more at home even if they tried (im pretty sure they weren't trying though).

One last thing, i would only say to people not to stay at this resort if they don't like dogs. Fortunately for us we love them and had many a laugh playing with Reggie, Ben, Gadget and Lucy (the mum).

Anyway, if you stay here you will not be disapointed."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of October 2008

Pondok Peace

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"What a fab place! Great location, 20 mins from the airport, 3 mins from all the mayhem, wonderfully situated between coconut trees, lushes green paddy fields ~ this place is an absolute steal for the RM85 a day room rates. Clean, tidy, well looked after, Mark and Di bring a zesty sparkle to this out of the way retreat for quiet contemplation, like minded guests and information at the drop of a hat. We called up, had a hired car organised to meet us at the airport (RM60 per day) ~ everything you could possibly want from a budget guest house. Mark cleans the rooms daily, trims the garden, offers teas, toast, eggs in the kitchen and keeps the place ticking over nicely. We had a blast. There's quite a few guest houses, resorts and the likes in Langkawi, but for RM85 a night, this place rocks to the sound of nature. Don't stand underneath the cocnut trees though!"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of August 2008

A destination of its own

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"My fella and I stayed at Pondok Keladi over Christmas break, '06. The weather was perfect, and Langkawi is gorgeous, and the restaurants recommended by Dee are great.

Whether or not you were planning a trip to Langkawi, Podok Keladi is a destination of its own. It's a lovely retreat (read: distance from all the hub-bub of the touristy strip), nestled in the jungle. One day, they were clearing some coconut trees from the parking area, and Dee's mother arranged to have some popped open for us to drink from. It was a lovely treat.

One evening we, along with fellow guests and Dee all went out to dinner together. It was a sweet gesture. Dee really makes you feel like you're welcome. Though, I could tell if you wanted a private and secluded holiday, Dee could accommodate that as well.

I think the layout of the area is a good metaphor for the place. The central area is open with a hammock, large pillows on wooden platforms; at night the tables are laid out with candles, hung with fairy lights. It's picturesque at any time of day. Around that, all the rooms are shielded by tall plants and trees before the footpath leading in front of the rooms, each with its own outdoor table seat. It has a great combination of privacy, and friendly communal places. Rooms are cosy, hung with tapestries, and bathrooms are large shower rooms, very clean.

I adore dogs, but I thought I should mention it, in case anyone is doesn't like dogs, it might not suit. They are friendly- and you could even coax a dog to come down to the beach and play with you. Swimming with the dogs was fun. It shows alot of trust that Dee has for his guests as well.

Enjoy your stay there, I know we'll be back there sometime!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of August 2008

Really Enjoyed Pondok Keladi

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"We booked after reading the excellent reviews on trip advisor and we were not disappointed!! The rooms are fairly basic but clean and comfortable and the fans and air conditioning coupled with the very comfortable bed meant that we slept better than when we have stayed in five-star hotels.

What really makes Pondok special however is a friendliness and hospitality of the owner Dee and his colleague Marc. They are a source of endless useful information about the islands and were able to tell us the best beaches as well as arranging a short trip to Thailand. They also arranged an excellent kayaking trip in the mangrove swamps.

The location is beautiful,surrounded by jungle and close to the paddy fields - so that monkeys,hornbills and other tropical birds can be easily spotted. If you feel like jogging or walking in the wonderful surroundings - you've also got 4 friendly and eager dogs ready to accompany you!

We often cooked communal meals with Dee,Marc and the other guests and ate them alfresco in the delightful covered dias in the very attractive gardens which are brilliantly maintained by Marc.

The cost of all this was approximately £13 sterling per night for both of us. Dee also arranged Car hire for us at only 10 pounds per day and with petrol at only £1.30 a gallon exploring the island was a must.

We consider ourselves lucky to have found Pondak and had one of our most enjoyable and relaxing holidays staying there."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of April 2008

Nice secluded place to stay in

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My friend and I stayed there for three days, two nights. The place is very quiet and it's perfect for a holiday getaway. There is a paddy field nearby and it's simply superb. The owner has four friendly dogs. When we arrived, a lady welcomed us and made us feel like home immediately. On the day before checking out, we met the owner. He's friendly. Pondok Keladi is a quiet place; far away from the main road. The place is clean. However, there's no television in the room. The shower, air-conditioner, bed etc is great. Anyway, one light isn't working, but it's OK. Overall, it's a nice place, and it's very inexpensive too. Those who are new to this area may not find this place because the signage is small. Look out for "Pondok Keladi, Turn Right"! Would love to stay there again if the place is NOT developed further. As we know, the owner said that he wanted to build a wall around the place and also put in a swimming pool. I honestly don't welcome the idea. I don't feel like being "boxed up" by wall. If I want to get wet, I rather go to the sea and not soak in the swimming pool. Since the owner is gay, I think he wants to turn this place into exclusively for gays only in the future."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

loved it

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Excellent place - very peaceful but only a 5 minute motorbike ride from the main beaches.
Free tea and coffee, friendly owners, lovely pets and good accommodation. I was sad to leave.
Booking is a bit of a pain but worth it."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of February 2007

beautiful place

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"A lovely place to spend and we got spoiled all over by the owner's family! We hopefully can go back one day."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of October 2006

Delightful Pondok Keladi

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"I'm a little reluctant to write this review as I'm afraid too many people will discover the delights of this fantastic little place (it only has 6 rooms) and I wont be able to book in next time! I've just spent five days discovering Langkawi for the very first time and I feel that I've struck lucky with Pantai Tengah and Pondok Keladi. Pondok Keladi is excellent value - very comfortable, stylish rooms with ensuite bathroom and hot water, air-con and fan. Rosidi, the owner, is delightful and went out of his way to ensure that my stay was as pleasant as possible. It is set amongst the coconut palms and rice fields but just a short walk (15 minutes) to the wonderful beach of Pantai Tengah and some great restaurants. I'll definitley be returning which is probably the best recommendation of them all - that's if I can get a room!"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of August 2005

Cheap, cosy, clean and comfortable - value for money

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"I went to Langkawi for the first time last christmas for a month. I stumbled opened this new accomodation, Pondok Keladi, run by a couple. It is located in a village, only 15 min walk to the nearest beach at Pantai Tengah and shops and restaurants.

The accomodation is amazingly private and secluded overlooking padi field and hills. All rooms (six only) have ensuite bathrooms, hot and cold water, a/c and mini bar. There's a fully-equiped communal kitchen where long stay guests (like us) can cook up a storm.

And the price is ridiculously cheap, £10 per nite! we stayed for the whole month. This year's christmas we're coming back to P Keladi for 45 days.

Their website is (---).

I know there's lot more such accomodations on the island, but this one takes pride in their out look. The garden is superbly maintained with hills and coconut trees as backdrop."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of July 2005