Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur

11 Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur 50250 Malaysia

Good
Good

Spent 4 nights here and got a very comfo...

Reviewed Mon 14th of July 2008

"Spent 4 nights here and got a very comfortable panoramic room on the 15th floor, As we are honeymooners we arrived to flowers champagne and chocolates.. The staff are very friendly and check in was quick despite arriving very late on a saturday night and in the middle of a function. The breakfasts here are simply amazing, there is something for everyone.
This hotel is very well placed for all the attractions. Petronas towers is but a short walk as is the KL tower. We had a very romantic meal in the revolving restaurant at the KL tower which was breathtaking, watching the city revolve while you eat listening to a pianist gently playing is an absolute must for couples. We wished we could have stayed longer and hope to return in the future."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of July 2008

We had 3 nights at the Shangri La. What...

Reviewed Thu 10th of May 2007

"We had 3 nights at the Shangri La. What a fantastic time we had. We had a superior room but for a small fee - about £15 each were upgraded. This included a better room, breakfast in the Horizon Lounge and afternoon tea and evening cocktails.

The room upgrade was amazing - so much space and the maid service terrific. The breakfast was great and there was enough food to eat for an evening meal during cocktails.

The staff could not be any friendlier and we were able to check out late due to our later connecting flight for no charge.

We did not upgrade on a second visit as we only stayed one night and we really noticed the difference. Room was much smaller though nonetheless clean and in good condition.

If all the hotels in the chain are like this, I would be happy to stay again, no doubt."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of May 2007

The Shangri La in KL is truly amazing, I...

Reviewed Sat 28th of October 2006

"The Shangri La in KL is truly amazing, I agree with the other comments totally. However we upgraded to the Horizon executive rooms for three days and then planned to return from taman negrato stay for one more night before going on to Borneo.

We had not upgraded on the fourth night originally because we did not know how amazing the horizon club lounge was. You get your own private check in so no queuing, and between 7pm and 10pm you get free cocktails and snacks (as the brochure stated) what you actually got was help your self drinks wines, spirits, soft drinks (which are free all day) and the "snacks" were sushi, noodles, kebabs, salmon, curry, lamb, chicken, friut, deserts that looked like palm trees (chocolate rolls with sugar leaves), and lots of other buffet style items they were all delish.

We were going to eat at the lemon lounge and some of the other restaurants but were too full after the cocktail evenings to eat another thing. The views from the 27th floor were fantastic and from our horizon room on the 24th floor we had a view of the petronas towers. The staff were lovely and the club sandwich in the "bar" was enough for two. The live entertainment was great and we really didn’t want to leave. On checking out we decided to upgrade back to the horizon when we returned from taman negra and this cost us aprox £17 each well worth it for what you save on food and drinks.

In the horizon lounge you have a smoking room ,a reading room and a coffee lounge. Free soft drinks and coffee all day. I loved every minute of it the room we had was fantastic. Marble bathrooms and a huge bath that took nearly an hour to fill. In the rooms you get everything you need, tooth brushes, razors, and lovely bath crystals, shower air con fresh fruit and complimentary water. (Also free bottles of water from the lounge) we had breakfast included which was also buffet style with lots of great food, no pork products there but the beef bacon was great.

I would recommend any Shangri la hotel as I have also stayed in one at Borneo."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of October 2006

great hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"The hotel was very luxurious. Rooms were not very large but very comfortable. Service was excellent and staff very friendly. Location was great as close to the Petrona Towers and sky tower. The drinks at the bar were quite expensive as they add 10% service charge and 5% tax. To eat out was also about half the price of the hotel. Breakfast spread was excellent and they also have a chocolate fountain. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of February 2006

Great location

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Stayed at the Shang for three nights at the end of jan.
Wonderful hotel with great facilities and superb service. Well worth upgrading to a horizon club room to get many additional benefits.
Stayed on the 25th floor with views out to the KL Tower which is well worth a visit (20 ringits to go up to the viewing platform).
20 minutes walk from chinatown which is a great place to obtain your bags, watches DVD's etc. Battering is the name of the game but alow yourself sufficient time to drive the price down!!
City tour was good value and gave a very good overall view of the city.
Lots to do and see here and will definately be back"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of February 2006

Almost excellent

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Stayed for 4 nights.

This is a good enough hotel in a city which has no excellent hotels for the truely discerning visitor. It is excellent value - I would say cheap e.g. just 20% of the price of the Island Shangri-La Hong Kong!- and I would stay there again.

I suggest paying for the full luxury package (can't remember exactly how much it was) but includes:
- Free laundry YES
- Free drinks from 6PM to 8PM
- Pleasent snacks in the afternoon and evening
- Limo transferrs from and back to airport
- Breakfast
- Access to top floor business area which had great views of distant mountains

The room was good, and managed a good city view despite KL being, in my opinion, rather ugly. Bathroom not special.

Spa excellent, pool small and a bit exposed.

Location good.

Let down by inneficency in relaying messages, poor standard of English, which is I am afraid the language of business and it is expected. The limo arrived at the wrong time in the worng place so I could have mised my flight."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of January 2006

Great Bkfst...

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We stayed at Shangri-La in Dec end. The room was nice with a great view of Petronas but the room had quite a musty smell which only
kept increasing. We complained and someone came and sprayed something in the room but the smell got worse during the night which
had my 3 yr old daughter wheezing. In the morning, we insisted that our room be changed and the staff got our room changed to a much better one, without any issues. My point is that if they knew that the first room was musty, why give it out to us in the first place...
On the positive side, the location is nice (though if you want to be near Petronas/Suria KLCC, Mandarin is connected to Suria KLCC. If you want to be near malls, better to be in Westin/Marriott which are walking distance from some malls).
The breakfast was fantastic and had an amazing range of items to choose from."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of January 2006

Great Hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I cannot fault the hotel in any way. Stay for 3 nights in Jan 06 enroute to Australia. The staff were excellent, food and service some of the best I have experienced. Rooms spotless, and beautifully appointed. We booked an executive room on the horizon floor - well worth it for all the extras, including cocktails and afternoon tea.

This is THE place to stay in KL!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of January 2006

Very disappointed

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel two days ago, which was the last night of my holiday and I left feeling extremely disappointed with the standard. I had booked a "deluxe room" directly from their website. I say "deluxe" for a number of reasons.

When I entered our non-smoking room, on the non-smoking 5th floor, I was greated by the unmistakable smell of cigarette smoke. The bell-boy who was with us contacted housekeeping who sprayed the room with air-freshner. This only masked the smell for a short time. Room 513 was definitely a smoking room in the past, as the yellow-stained telephone confirms. When I checked the bathroom out I was greeted by the smell of stale water which is extremely unpleasant.

I complained to reception and was upgraded to an "executive room" on the 8th floor. This room (824)was better than the last but was not of 5* standard. The bathroom was very dated. The walk-in shower was a plastic cubicle and the shower head was broken. The bath did not look clean as it has some sort of substance on the bottom. The mini-bar area where the glasses were stored also had water stains on them.

The one plus point of this hotel was the buffet breakfast.

The photos which have been submitted by reviewers confirms that the rooms are of differing qualities. Our rooms certainly did not resemble the photos submitted. It appears that having spent £80 on a room does not guarantee you a quality room. I regret not having taken photos now.

Having stayed at the Shangri-La in Singapore as part of this holiday, I can safely say that this particular hotel is not of the same standard."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of January 2006

Great Hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I think this hotel is great value for money. I got the value package off the hotels website, and it included the deluxe king room, round trip airport limo, breakfast for 2, dry cleaning and free broadband internet access, etc.. Worth the extra dollars compared to the next ones down the list (4*, 3*,etc).
Very comfortable room, service was excellent everywhere.
Great location, though the noisy clubs at the intersection of Jln. Ramlee and Jln. Sultan Ismail could put off some people. Could walk to KLCC Surya/Petronas Towers and the LRT station.

All in all had an very nice 2 night stay at a hotel that one would pay a lot more for in any other capital city."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of January 2006

great spot

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"this hotel is fantastic on arrival i was going to upgrade i checked my standard room which was great so i didnt bother, the best beds and pillows i have ever slept in, bathroom supplied fully and always replaced what you used, walk in shower lovely. excellent staff and facilaties, make sure you book bed and breakfast the quality and choice of food for breakfast is outstanding,also good choice of bars and restaurants in the hotel in the evening but go out and sample kl,s choice of bars and eateries especialy in the bangsar area of the city. only a couple of down points the pool and sun lounge area is totally inadequote for the number of guestsand the other point is dont go over the new year you wont need the pool any way as the weather was always cloudy with rain"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2006

Not good, not bad

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Stayed here for a week whilst on tour of Malaysia etc.

I felt that this Shangri-La hotel was overpriced and essentially a bit of a rip off. For example, I was charged a 15% service charge on all the drinks I bought from the hotel bar, even without any waiter/waitress involvement! This is ridiculous profit grabbing and when I challenged the practice I was told it was their standard policy!

The Hotel suffers from noise polution from surrounding noisy bar area at night. Best to get a high floor if at all possible. (Reception staff were either not the brightest or inclined to help with any queries or feedback.)

The small, cramped room(s) and a very small, busy pool area combined to give a disappointing opinion of this hotel the usually good, reliable Shangri-La chain."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2006

Hotels near Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur

Stayed at Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur? Share your insight.

Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur is also called