DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur

Guest room

Good

Stunning new hotel only a station away from KLCC

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"We stayed here for 3 nights in mid August 2010. A year earlier we had stay at Traders which with thought was fantastic but we were keen to compare and opted for Doubletree. Location Doubleetree by Hilton is located just outside KLCC and a pedestrian overpass away from the Jalang Park LRT. Although you could walk to KLCC in just under 10 minutes, the heat and the humidity during the day make this a tough walk and using the train system is a convenient, cooler option. The LRT station is flanked by a basic shopping centre with most conveniences you might require like currency exchange, pharmacy, supermarket, McDonalds-Pizza Hut-KFC, and a place that will do you laundry (hidden on the highest level of the centre). Being a new hotel, our taxi driver was unfamiliar with the location but, with mobile phone in hand he managed to work out from a mate that is was the former ‘Princess Hotel’ and those opting for a taxi from the airport should note this to avoid hassle. Room We stayed in guest twin bed room (#1304) having paid a discounted opening rate of about RM305 (A$105) per night by booking via the Hilton’s website – a real bargain! The room was fantastic. I enjoyed the novelty of the glass wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom which gave the room a larger feel (a mechanised blind could be drawn down for privacy if required). The wall mounted LCD TV presented a good range of channels. There was a soft lighting option by the bed which allowed for reading at night and heavy blinds could be drawn to completely block out the sun should you need a daytime sleep. The paper was delivered to our door daily. The beds were so comfortable with varying types of pillows stacked on the bed depending on your preference. The bathroom was fantastic, equipped with Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries, a rainfall showerhead installed into the ceiling and electronic scales which are handy for weighing luggage before your next flight. The digitised air conditioning control panel was somewhat confusing to operate. It seemed to have two basic modes – cool and not so cool – and I didn’t have the inclination to work it out. Internet was available but at a hefty cost – RM20 for two hours or RM48 for 24 hours. Facilities The facilities were excellent. On level 10 you’ll find the sauna, steamroom and gym. The gym is spacious and well equipped (although the TVs attached to the cardio equipment had not been hooked up at the time of our stay). You’ll also find the pool which had a area of jets which created a Jacuzzi-like environment. The pool was surrounded by new, modern sunloungers. The adjacent restaurant is brilliantly styled but pricey. I ordered a chicken burger and chips by the pool which was not great and, at RM36, was only worth it for the convenience. The buffet breakfast on level 11 was superb. Everything was spaciously laid out and the cooks manning the egg and noodle station seemed to welcome our orders. I’m not quite sure how the hotel will handle greater capacity though and I think Traders Hotel’s breakfast just had the edge simply because of its sheer wide selection of foods. We needed to use the business centre to scan and print documents but this also came at a cost (about RM3 per page). Staff and service We were informed that Doubletree enjoyed a soft opening a week before we arrived, making available only 200 rooms of the 1000+ room hotel. With only a week of operation, I thought everything operated very smoothly. The staff were extremely pleasant and courteous, and the cookies on arrival (and departure!) were a cute touch. The concierge happily stored our luggage on the final day when we had a red eye flight. In sum, Doubletree is a great hotel for any traveler who appreciates a high standard of service and comfort only let down by charging for internet use. In time, I am sure they will catapult to the top of Tripadvisor’rankings."

• Travel date: 14th September 2010

Still very new

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"There will be a shopping center next to the Hotel and there will be banking and retails wthin the Hotel. At the moment, its only soft opening, for food and shopping you need take a cab to nextby ( no walking distance ). The service is very good, staffs are very friend and polite. Rooms are new but the decor is a bit plain. Facility are well equiped. A standard 4 star Hotel. Maybe a better place to stay in next year."

• Travel date: 13th September 2010

New hotel, jury's out

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"The Doubletree is still in its soft opening stage with only 100 of the 500 or more rooms open which makes for a very cosy experience. The executive lounge wasn't open yet, so be wary of any "click here" promotions for e-upgrades on the Hilton website, as they couldn't be honoured when I stayed on 1 September. The rooms are neat and clean, but bland with neutral colours and soft browns; no real verve in the decor. The lack of a wastebin under the desk seemed odd. Big shower, but no bathtub. Views straight out into a neighbouring high rise, unfortunately. The pool is spacious but I doubt it would cope with full occupancy and the same applies for the gym, which is about right size for a 100 room hotel but not a 500 room property. Rowing machines would be a serious plus there, as would tuning in or wiring up properly the tvs on the treadmill screens (static fuzz doesn't hold much appeal for 10km). The Makan Kitchen where breakfast is served on 11th floor is outstanding - it reminded me of the Straits Kitchen in the Singapore Hyatt. Very stylish with open cooking stations, a huge variety of different foods and a traditional Malay palace ambience. The staff across the hotel were first class, very helpful and professional, and the opening offer room rate was good value. It will be interesting to see whether the quality of service can be maintained as more rooms come on stream. So far, so good."

• Travel date: 7th September 2010

Excellent Hotel with a great opening price

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"With the opening 2 night-for-1 means that you can save 50 % of room price is excellent. The check in experience was warm and fast. The room is very clean and elegantly furnished. However, don't expect much of KLCC view from the rooms. Rooms are very stylish and have comfortable beds. Breakfast in Makan Place was very comfortable. But, the spread for local food could be better."

• Travel date: 6th September 2010

Pleasant Stay

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"Stayed here for 3 days and 2 nites. Enjoyed our stay especially my 5 yrs old son. He didnt want to go back home...Excellent service especially from the Makan Kitchen Staff. Room was comfy,stylish....... Tried the Room service/Business Centre and The Food Store. All were good! From the food,the staff and food...Wonderful suprise,The GM, Ian Barrow..replied my feedback.. To the Doubletree team - Keep up the good work and kudos to all of you. Will definetely come back. Try it as its still new and not so crowded ! Plus take advantage of the Grand opening Offer, 2 nites for the price of One..Really worth it."

• Travel date: 29th August 2010

2-star response time from hotel

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"I called at night to enquire but the staff who answered my call did not know about the promotion package advertised in their website. She promised to get someone to call me at 8 am the next day. When no one called, I rang up the hotel again at 8.20 am as I needed to book a room urgently. This time, another staff answered but could not confirm the type of bed available. I was told that reservation could not be cancelled even though they could not confirm my request for a king-sized bed. Again, I was promised that some Manager would return my call when he came in at 9 am to explain to me this policy. I had to call the hotel again at 3 pm. to check whether anyone was going to confirm my reservation. I finally gave up staying at this hotel after getting a very unacceptable reply from the Manager. I do not think I have the confidence in the service that will be rendered in this hotel. This is a 5-star hotel with 2-star backroom staff."

• Travel date: 26th August 2010

Shows that great service can overcome any new teething problems!!

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"This is a very new hotel - as of end of August, construction of the road access and executive lounge is still ongoing. Nonetheless, any inconveniences with the terrible parking or the bad signages were overcome by the extremely wonderful customer service by all Hilton staff here. Pros: Great service Brand new rooms Very good breakfast Cons: Bad parking and no valet No executive lounge - still under construction Showers have weak pressure Poor (brand new) elevators that do not work well Slow internet (paid) Location is very central, but extremely bad traffic outside the hotel during peak hour I will definitely stay here again because of the service."

• Travel date: 24th August 2010

Lucked out on this one!

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Lucky to have booked while the 2 nights for the price of 1 deal was still on. The hotel is huge, modern and tastefully designed. We were told that the double room we paid for was not available but things turned out for the best since we got an upgrade to a suite. Pros: friendly and great service breakfast buffet had tons of options (Indian cuisine was delicious) guaranteed good night's sleep with the immaculate rooms and comfy sheets and pillows rainshower a plus Cons: internet is not free (there is a daily rate) see-through bath and toilet doors (seen from the bedroom) might take some getting used to maybe nitpicking already but the nice saltwater pool would have been perfect with a view of the Petronas Towers (the pool could have been placed on a higher floor like other KL hotels that have a great vantage point of the towers) All in all a great albeit pricier option in KL. Service was super."

• Travel date: 23rd August 2010

1st Doubletree by Hilton in S.E.A - yes, it's the talk of the town!

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"Check-in: 05 August 2010 Check-out: 09 August 2010 I had a 5D4N stay at Doubletree by Hilton, Kuala Lumpur. Being the very first group of guests, of course, the rooms were extremely clean and speckless! Everything is brand new. Even though it belongs to the Hilton Group, towels were not simply transferred from other properties but brand new and tagged "DT/2010". Concept: CARE. Upon arrival, you receive a piece of the signature Double Tree chocolate chips cookie. It's huge, yummy and kinda filling with lots of choc chips and walnuts. It's their way of welcoming you to a great, comfortable stay at Doubletree. Really, all the staff are very positive, exude a "CAN DO!" attitude and literally go all out to ensure that you are comfortable and enjoy. Not only that, wide smiles are often flashed and they greet / ask of you whenever they see you. It's just like home. Location: Jalan Ampang. 5 minutes drive / walking distance to KLCC, 10-15 minutes drive to Bukit Bintang depending on traffic, 20-30 minutes drive to Mid Valley / KL Sentral. Taxi fare by meter to Jalan Alor (famous food street) is around RM7.00 with mild traffic. Taxi fare by meter to Pavillion (Bukit Bintang area) is around RM5.50, dropping at the side road due to very heavy traffic. I was told that Hotel provides Shuttle to KLCC. How to go by Taxi: "Hello Uncle, Double Tree Hotel please." Uncle looked at me puzzled. "Jalan Ampang! Former Crowne Princess Hotel." "Oh, I know!" Yes, this is the way to direct the driver for now I guess. The Intermark is a tall building and the Doubletree logo is high up and prominent; so easy to spot that you can get arrive at the hotel easily. Room: In my mind, I have this mental comparison with / reminder of Studio M Singapore (a newly opened hotel in Singapore a few months ago). The similarities are being new, modern, very near central and just a little off the crowds for good, international chain, 4-star (Doubletree is like 4.5 star to me) and being relatively new concepts in Southeast Asia. The very key difference between the 2 properties is SPACE. Doubletree is totally spacious, very comfortable and I must say, it just feels like home! It took me very quickly to adapt to my room on the 17 floor (lift is amazingly fast) and I just wished for a moment "if only I could bring this room home...". TV is 32 inches, with sound system connected to the bathroom (how great?)! Basically, once you enter, bathroom is on the left, wadrobe on the right. Move about 2 meters in, here is your bedroom with a signature Sweet Dreams bed (seriously, I slept so well that I missed breakfast...), a separate office desk with comfortable chair, AND a sofa with a table. Fantastic! With so many things, YET you don't feel cramp at all. So I wished I could bring the room home... The pictures will show you what I mean :) Amenities: Crabtree and Evelyn. YES, you're right, it's the same as 5* Hilton KL, their sister hotel. Housekeeping replaces them every day or whenever you need, just call the Care Line. As mentioned, everything is brand new. The Panasonic hairdryer was very useful and user-friendly. There is no cloth laundry bag, but you get a plastic bag for laundry use. The rectangular sink is wide. Full-length mirror available on the wardrobe. Wardrobe / Bathroom doors are sliding - space-efficient! Bathroom: Hand-held AND Rainshower! (I've a bias for the latter.) There is no bathtub but it's available in the Deluxe Suite room. The very next thing you'd notice as you enter the Bedroom is the Bathroom - completely see-through glass! Yes, there is an automated blind to avoid awkward situations. There is a weighing scale, plenty of towels and bathrobes. Comfortable slippers are found in the wardrobe. Housekeeping: Being new, there is still much room for improvement. They clean up the room very well, even wiping the bath area dry. I found it quite strange when 1) empty boxes were arranged back in place as replacement and even handed to me (when I asked for a toothbrush set) and 2) bath robes went missing on the last night! We were planning to swim the next morning and ended up having to wrap myself with the pool towel (functional but looking funny...). Highlighted to them in the feedback form handed to us by the Concierge when we were checking out our flights and chatting casually. Breakfast: Great! International selection PLUS Indian selection AND PLUS Chinese selection AND AND PLUS Malay selection AND AND AND PLUS Fruits and Juice Bar!! All of them housed in the Makan Kitchen which took up almost the whole of the 10th floor. I really want to go and try the Buffet Dinner!! RM79.00++ only. Again, the warm and helpful service is clearly experienced during breakfast. Facilities: SALT-water Swimming Pool that opens till 10pm with plenty of deck chairs. 24-hour Gym with US-imported machines. 1 Buffet Restaurant - Makan Kitchen. 1 Italian Restaurant by the pool with casual ambience and firewood oven; different kinds of seating. 1 Wine Cellar. 1 Lounge. 1 Food Store for coffee, pastries and the Doubletree Cookies! Service: Warm and all out to serve their guests! Problems: Honestly, we didn't have any really unpleasant or frustrating problem at all. Just a little puzzled about the missing bathrobes but we didn't bother to ask for them anyway. We got a shock when the lift stopped working after our swim due to "fire" (during renovation, smoke can cause the lifts to stop) but it was quickly rectified and we were accompanied up to our room floor. We were not very happy with the Bell Service though. When we wanted to hire for / arrive in a cab the people were chatting to themselves most of the time. Lastly, not a problem, well we just found the security guards looked really distinctive in their uniform. Promotion: RM380++ - stay 2 nights, pay 1 night!! If I remember correctly, validity until end-August for stay up till Feb 2011. Grab it when it lasts! Enjoy :) Website: http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/KULDTDI-Doubletree-by-Hilton-Kuala-Lumpur/index.do"

• Travel date: 13th August 2010

One of the first guests

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"As one of the first guests to stay in this hotel, I guess that my review will be slightly tainted, after all how can you have an issue with cleanliness when the room is brand new! As the hotel was still only half open there were a few teething problems, but these were quickly compensated for by the enthusiastic staff. I rated the location as average for two key reasons, firstly taxi drivers have no idea where the new hotel is, so be sure to carry a card from the hotel, and secondly around rush hour time it the traffic makes it a long drive to get to. Having stayed at the other Hilton locations in Kuala Lumpur, I would say this one is the best value."

• Travel date: 8th August 2010