About Ascott Kuala Lumpur

• hot tub
  • rooftop pool

Below expectation

Reviewed Fri 8th of February 2013

"Before I went to Kuala Lumpur, I read alot of reviews about Ascott KL. Trusting the reviews, I booked a 3 bedroom Apartment and stayed for 3 days. Total there were 7 Adults and 2 Kids.

First, lets talk about the rooms:The room is fantastic, spacious and great for huge family like mine.

The service: It fell below my expectation the moment I step to the room. These are the reasons why: Upon making reservations, I request for extra bed to be placed in room upon arrival and inform them that its for 7 adults, request for extra towels and some toilet amenities. Unfortunately, none was placed in room. 2 of the bedroom bath had no amenities at all. The toilet flush was faulty and the wardrobe light was fused. Called reception, they came up 1 hour later to placed extra bed and repair flush/wardrobe light. Called reception again to request for extra towels and amenities, housekeeping came 1 hour later and said "I dont have towels, its in housekeeping store", Ok I said nicely, please get it for me as the whole family cant share with just 4 towels. This is solved. On second day of my stay, it was raining and in the room there's only one umbrella. Went to reception and request for 2 more, the Guest Service Officer answered "Im sorry, we are unable to give the umbrella as the supervisor are having meeting in the store. why not you take the one that is in your room?" I replied, "yes we took one but there are 9 of us, I need at least another 2 more". She said again "oh, the meeting will take a long time". I was so pissed that I answered "its ok, we'll all fit under 1 umbrella. Thank you." Unbelievable.

Third, location: Its near to KLCC but far from bukit bintang area. From KLCC, it takes approx 20 min to bukit bintang area. Not sure if this is good or bad news for others but as for me, not a good choice of location as its quite far from Ascott.

Fourth, Breakfast at Skylouge: The breakfast sucks. No other word to describe, hands down.

Fifth, the Pool: 1 Big pool, 1 kids pool (thats was closed, not sure due to what reason) and jacuzzi. The 2 kids were upset that they couldnt use the pool but its ok.

Conclusion, I won't come back to Ascott for my next trip to KL. Maybe I have high standards on Ascott but I've given my views, its your choice. Hope this help, Cheers!"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of January 2009

Great location, spacious room

Reviewed Wed 30th of January 2013

"I stayed at the Ascott KL with my family for about a week. Primary reason for choosing the Ascott was its location and the fact that it is a serviced apartment.

My daughter was about 15 months old when we were there so we couldn't actually stay too much outside but had to go out and come back to the hotel room time to time. Since the Ascott is just minutes away from Suria KLCC, it was just perfect place to do so. One more thing, we could cook some baby meals too.

Downside of the Ascott KL would be barely making average standard breakfast and lack of wide choice of its own restaurants, as some others have mentioned in their reviews.

Anyway, the staff was very friendly, and at that price, if you want to get a room with same square meters in a hotel, it would be impossible.

It surely may not be the best hotel in KL but I'm sure it will be the best serviced apartment in KL. I'll not hesitate to book Ascott KL as long as I travel with my daughter."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of September 2008

Great spot

Reviewed Thu 31st of January 2013

"Great situation. Short walk to Petronas towers and Suria KLCC shopping mall and MRT train station. We had a 2 bedroom apartment and were upgraded to executive appartment as ours wasnt ready when we checked in. Great views of KL and Petronas from the rooms on the 17th floor. Big apartment for two adults and two teenagers. Downside was the quality of the upkeep of the pool which was not well kept. Breakfast arrnagmetns were not brilliant - not enough tables, but these were outweighed by the good points."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of September 2008

At Petronas Feet

Reviewed Fri 1st of February 2013

"Great position, big rooms and friendly staff. I stayed for 4 nights with my husband and my parents in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 23rd floor. I was at first a little hesitant to share the apartment with my parents, but the itwas massive, with each bedroom on the opposite sides of the unit with a big living area, kitchen and two ensuites. It was the perfect setup. It was very clean and quiet. The interior was a bit worn, but the beds, bathrooms and linen were top class (the three most important things to me) and the staff were very friendly and willing to help. The buffet breakfast wasn't the greatest and we only went for it on one of the mornings even though it was included in the room price. I would definately recommend this hotel and i can't rave enough about the location. Suria KLCC shopping complex and Petronas towers are a 2 minute walk away so shops and food are right there. It's also a 10 minute walk to Bukit Bintang shopping malls and the train can be easily caught from KLCC to all other destinations."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

The Petronas just outside your window

Reviewed Fri 25th of January 2013

"The Ascott has one of the best locations in KL if you are after exploring the City Center, the Petronas is just outside and the Menara tower is a 10 minute ride away.
The suite was huge and the amenities were fine.
The staff were helpful and kind, I'm just surprised that they are not aware of how much the airport tax are if there was one."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of August 2008

Loved the ambience and location

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2013

"I stayed at the Ascott KL for 2 nights with my sister's family and parents. The apartment unit is huge with 3 bedrooms (total 1600 sq foot). All the rooms are quite big too. The place looks luxurious and taste-fully decorated. Security is good. It is a great place to get together.

The location is also good, just next to KLCC. I can see the KLCC park and the twin towers right outside the window. What a magnificent sight, especially in the nights when the twin towers are fully lit. Definitely a sight to behold. The LRT station is about 10 minutes walk from Ascott.

The swimming pool is on the 22nd floor. It affords a pleasant swim as there is no crowd. You can also see the twin towers from the pool.

One downside of Ascott is the limited breakfast spread that is provided."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of August 2008

Home in KL

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2013

"I've already stayed at The Ascott for 1 month, and I still have 1 more month to go. This is my third time here, my last being 2-3 years ago.

What one should know is that The Ascott is more service apartment than hotel, which is exactly what I needed for my long term stay. I get a kitchen and living room, dining area all in my apartment. Had I stayed in a hotel, I'd have to book an expensive suite to get the equivalent. That said, the downsides are that the service standard is a little bit lower than that at 5* hotels, but still much more than satisfactory (depends just how demanding you are). There are also no 5* restaurants here. There is however a trendy restaurant/bar/club downstairs called 7atenin9, that is filled with office people every night.

Facilities, all found on the 22nd floor, are also less than that of a hotel. The swimming pool is rather small, which is only a problem when theres lots of kids, but it does have a nice view of the twin Petronas Towers. Theres a nice small jacuzzi with a view of the city. Weirdly, there are also huge changing/locker/shower rooms, but they are in an obscure location so not many people know about it. In there, there are self-operated saunas and steam rooms. The Kamboja spa is also very good.

Breakfast is served at the Sky Lounge and it could do with some improvement. It is average at best, which can again be attributed to the fact that this is not really a full fledged hotel.

The Ascott is getting old and is well due for a repaint. However, all these flaws are pretty negligible to me as I love my room, and find staying here very luxurious. Its location is also fantastic, its 2 minutes away from KLCC and Petronas Towers, and 5-7 minutes to Pavilion (the newest posh mall). Its also near other hotels and nice bars."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of July 2008

Home from home

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2013

"The Ascott is a great place to stay in KL. Super location, huge apartments with a luxury feel, and very friendly staff (especially housekeeping). We stayed in a 2 bed apartment with our two young children and had such a good time. There are views of the Petronas towers from the rooftop pool, and the hotel has a spa which does great (and reasonably priced) treatments.
Only thing which could be improved on is the breakfast, which was OK, but had limited choice, and some of the food looked like it had been out on the counters for a while. Good coffee and freshly cooked omelettes though."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

Functional but nothing to brag about

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2013

"My family and I stayed here " on and off " in late June/early July. The Ascott looks a lot better on the website than it really is. The lobby is very small and rather depressing. The outside of the building bears a very rundown and dirty appearance, needing a paint job badly. The rooms lack fine furnishings and are very "blah". The beds are very small, and the toilets did not flush properly and we had to call the maintenance man to come up several times and his answer was " don't use tissue ". We had a two bedroom apartment and it was frustrating how there was only a TV in the master bedroom and in the living room. The furniture in the rooms needs a major update, and the kitchen is very old style ( lacking modern appliances and furnishings ). Despite these complains the room is generally clean and functional with basic amenities. The pool at the Ascott is horrible, its is on the 23rd floors and in order to reach the pool you must cross this dinky bridge with a huge drop below. The pool is very dull and the tiles are dirty, the jacuzzi is cool looking but its not hot ! The gym is very old, with only two tread-mills that actually work. Although breakfast is included it is very pathetic, there is only a small table with 5-6 options. Overall our experience at this hotel was mixed, but if your looking for the amenities and experiences of a hotel then you should consider the Mandarin Oriental or the Sheraton Imperial which are incredible hotels !"

• Travel date: Sat 19th of July 2008

Pure luxury

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"Our family of 2 adults and 3 children enjoyed a 4 night stay at the Ascott in December 2007. The room facilities were fantastic and true to the internet pictures. The buffet breakfast included in the tariff was the best breakfast spread we have ever enjoyed anywhere. The roof top pool with stunning city views was a hit with the kids. We also enjoyed the day spa facilities, including theraputic massages for a fraction of the cost they are in Australia. The hotel was within walking distance of all of the main shopping areas with a huge parkland with playground faciliites virtually right across the road. The staff were lovely and very helpful. I would highly recomend this hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of March 2008

Absolutely great!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Stayed in Ascott for 4 nights in mid-August. We had the one-bedroom suite and it was big. It had a separate living room with a small kitchenette, complete with microwave oven, utensils and a fridge. The bedroom was huge with a walk-in wardrobe and bathroom with separate shower and bath tub.

The hotel provides complimentary bottled water (replaced every day) and some snacks. Thought that was a nice gesture. And the air-con worked, important in a place like KL.

Although some parts of the room looked a bit worn, for the price and size of the room and the central location of the hotel, it was excellent value for money. Mandarin Oriental which is just opposite the hotel was then charging about 50% more than Ascott.

Staff was friendly and pleasant. The hotel has a small convenience shop on the ground floor (quite pricey) but good for emergencies. One would be better off shopping at Suria KLCC (a 3 minute walk). The hotel is also just around the corner from all the KL main-night spots.

Highly recommended and will definitely return."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of September 2007

Check-in to absolute comfort

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"The Ascott is the epitome of comfort and simple elegance. One wouldn't have to worry about being suffocated by the excesses of overindulgence. The two room apartment I stayed in came with double ensuites and the bathroom to the master bedroom had a large separate walk-in shower and twin vanity sinks, complete with L'occitane range of toiletries. The night view of the Petronas Towers on the 22nd floor was simply breathtaking, the pool area is a perfect quiet spot to gather for a chat and drinks. Breakfast at the Skylounge was basic but the freshly brewed coffee somehow made up of it. It is a 5 minute walk to the shopping centre which is all right on a fine day and if you are not with kids on strollers, don't expect the convenient proximity of the Mandarin Oriental and the covered walkway. There is a funky joint, Sevenatenine, on the ground floor for dining and drinks. Pricing is fairly steep but if you are not up to doing your own cooking in the fully equipped kitchen of your apartment or going out for the night, this would be the place. Overall, the Ascott is well maintained and is ideal for a family getaway and I am definitely looking forward to coming back."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of February 2007