Lobby

Splendid but Flawed.

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"I came and stayed at the le meridien from 7th to the 9h, on a business trip (first time in sabah). I had originally wanted to stay at a nearby hotel, on a friend's recommendation, but on finding out their junior suite was cheaper than the le meridien's deluxe room, alarm bells started ringing, and i must say, I was pleased that I made the change. First impressions wasn't that good, i have to say... upon arrival , at the entrance i was greeted by the most unpleasant smell from the nearby (opposite side of the road) fish market... also, checking in took more time than i had anticipated, since all my details and requests were pre-arranged, yet the receptionist still had to ask me a few details, but she was quite pleasant, pleasant enough for me to not be cross at the delay after a long meeting earlier and flight, and also the unavailability of a king-size bed (they only had twin singles available apparently at the time). Room Condition & Facilities On entering the room however, I was impressed with 1) its cleanliness and fresh feeling, 2) superb bathroom 3) hi-tech television set plus included dvd player :) although i was disappointed the dvds had to be rented(!), to which i had to walk downstairs and to make it worse, the collection was small and nothing to shout about in terms of quality. (A previous hotel i stayed provided the dvds complementary, which they sent to your room!). Windows were squeaky clean (I am a cleaning contractor, so i am a bit fussy)... in fact, the general condition of the room was quite applaudable. Food Buffet breakfast was quite nice, with a good selection of local and western options... variety of cereals, juices and fruits as fillers. I'm not fussy about food generally so I was quite happy. Room Service The food was excellent, but shame about the time taken to deliver. After my first experience of late delivery, I made it a point to order much earlier for my next meal and instructed it to be sent at a particular time but to my dismay, after 5 minutes past that time, I had to call to enquire and sure enough, it wasn't prepared yet and i was asked to wait another 15 minutes. Granted, the person on the other line was apologetic (I made it clear i wasn't happy) and made it up by not charging for the drinks and also providing a few free extras (which is always nice). Miscellaneous The hotel was nearby to various shopping complexes and sights, but that wasn't really my interest. Oh the first few times i went in/out the hotel, the doormen were absent, which did not please me, especially when i first arrived, with bags and all, but were ever present after that. Pool was okay, a bit bland and smallish, but served its purpose. Overall, I was mighty pleased i chose to stay at the le meridien kk. My wife who later joined me was also impressed (except the room service part). in fact, we will definitely be staying here the next time i am on a business trip, which should be in end-april. Watch this space :)"

• Travel date: 27th March 2007

Very nice rooms, very mediochre service

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"My (now) fiancee and I stayed here for five nights total at the beginning and end of our two-week trip through Borneo in Aug 06. Unlike the resorts on the outskirts of town, this hotel is right in the middle of KK, across from the central market and a short walk to the main shopping malls. There was a power cut on our first night for about 15 minutes, but this is Asia of course. The bedroom and bathroom are very nice, 4* across the board. We consistently enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but dinner would only rate a so-so. There is a lovely pool deck on the second floor, overlooking the water. It's easy to get to from the airport, and pretty much the whole of the city is within easy walking distance, including a nearby waterfront area for drinks and/or dining. Front desk service is severely lacking however. Both times that we checked in, we asked for a room FAR from the lift, and were given a room right next to the lift which we had to change. Also note that if you book day tours, you will probably be the first people to be picked up in the morning, and the last to be dropped off in the evening. The resort hotels seem to get preferrential treatment in this regard. Also, be warned about the woman at the travel desk. We checked with a few agents around the city regarding day trips figuring that costs would be lower than at Le Meridien, but it appeared that all of the day trips were exactly the same (even price) regardless of where you booked them. Despite considerable efforts to communicate what we were looking for, we were very seriously misled wrt the Kinabalu Park/Poring Hot Springs trip. It was so awful, that we ended up leaving the tour and paying a lot more to take a taxi for the two-hour return journey. If you want to see Kinabalu Park, take the public bus from the nearby bus station. If you want to see the Hot Springs (which I would suggest you don't) you can take a car from Kinabalu Park. If you take the day trip package on the tour bus, you will pay several times as much money and spent all of your time riding on the bus between hotel pickups/dropoffs and at an awful lunch stop. Conversely, the Klias Wetlands tour would rate a 3 out of 5 (great scenery, long journey there and back, bad buffet) and the Cat 3/4 rafting tour would rate 4 out of 5 (amazing ride, amazing scenery, really LONG journey there and back, great bbq food). In short, even though the staff leave something to be desired, at Le Meridien you will get a very nice room with breakfast at a very good value in the center of KK."

• Travel date: 6th March 2007

Best hotel, price and location in KK

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"I stayed here in mid-January 2007 for 4 nights and thought it was great. Free high speed ethernet cable in the room was excellent for skype calls, except for a shor time when it was down. I thought the buffet was really good -- though only breakfast was included in my US$82/night price. The quality of the room and food (breakfast) was closer to a $200+ room in the US (or even in KL)! And, as others have said, the location is the best in KK for getting a real feel for the city within walking distance. BTW - I suggest renting a car in KK -- roads are good and drivers are reasonable (newer cars and very few motorocycles). Sabah is great!"

• Travel date: 16th February 2007

New hotel in a great location

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"The centre of town for locals and tourists has now moved to the area adjacent to this hotel. There are brand new shopping malls and a waterfront with bars and restaurants within a three minute walk (the area around the Hyatt is now looking old, quiet and unloved). If you are in KK on business or in between trips to wildlife lodges then you can't go wrong (the hotel is 15 minutes drive from the airport). Rooms are large, modern, clean and well equiped. If you want a resort-style hotel on a beach then stay at Shangri-La etc, but this is a great option just for a one night stopover in KK. It has a small and modern swimming pool and sauna/jacuzzi faciliites. Breakfast is large with fantastic waffles!!! Definitley the best place to stay in KK town centre (savour the showers if you are heading the Danum Valley/Sukau!!!)"

• Travel date: 1st December 2006

good stay

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"This hotel was OK overall, and would have been good if not for the power cut we had. The power cut occurred because the systems were being upgraded. It lasted for a good few hours and was very inconvenient because although there was natural daylight in the bedrooms, the bathrooms were really dark. They could have invested in a generator! The location was good. It was a 5 minute walk to a seafront row of restaurants and bars, and a 5-10 minute walk to some main shopping centres. I wouldn’t recommend shopping here though because there is not much to buy unless you are looking for low quality bargains. The rooms were quite spacious and very new and clean, and came with a flat screen TV and DVD player, but apart from that nothing special. A DVD lending service would have been a nice extra touch. The room service food was really tasty, the fried noodles dish that I ordered was so good that I ordered it twice. The hotel bar staff were really slow, it took about 10 minutes for our drinks to be served even though there were about 3 staff and hardly anyone else at the bar. Pool area was nice. It overlooked the sea and the street market next to the sea, but was designed in such a way that it was quite private at the same time. I was surprised by the changing rooms next to the pool area, because it had a huge luxury jacuzzi tub in it as well as a sauna, and it was decorated really well too. The poolside could have done with a food/drinks menu and café area, which it did not have. Rooms were affordable at approximately GBP45 per night. We went to have a look at the Shangri La Tanjung Aru which was twice the price, and this hotel looked like a much much better deal."

• Travel date: 30th September 2006

4 star hotel with 2 star service

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"Stayed here for a few nights (on and off whilst visiting other places around sabah). Used the hotels own website to book a deluxe room with breakfast - about 300 RM (called the reservations line whilst at the hotel for the next part of our stay and they said they were unable to match the website rate). Good points - Rooms are large, clean and have a great view over the markets and SCS. Central position, close to two of the big malls in KK. Very comfortable and nicely decorated. DVD and TV - showing BBC world etc. Breakfast we thought was very good - huge choice of asian or western foods, breads, hot food, cereals, fruits, made to order waffles/omelettes etc. We left luggage here inbetween stays which was very useful. Concierge/restaurant/door staff lovely and helpful. Poor points - The front desk staff although very friendly were incredibly useless. (one point being, we asked before booking another night at le meridien if we could have any sort of breakfast taken to our room, as we were flying out before the buffet started the next morning - we were told absolutely, no problem, we could have some food sent to our room the next morning at no extra charge. After booking, we were then told we would have to go to the kitchens ourselves to ask the chef if it was possible! we called the manager to ask him to sort it out - and what we thought to be a very simple question for a hotel took over 2 hours and several telephone calls to arrange.) Gym is very leaky when it rains and has old equipment. Overall a nice hotel but front desk staff really bring the score down."

• Travel date: 6th June 2006

An excellent bargain

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"The Meridien in KK is a wonderful hotel, the standard rooms have a rain shower and a flat screen plasma TV with DVD, and for that kind of money, where would you find it? The concierge was very helpful as well in organizing a river excursion to the proboscis monkeys. The hotel's location is perfect to the hawkers and food market, so in all, I had a wonderful stay and I would certainly recommend it."

• Travel date: 9th April 2006

Convenient Location, too few choices for breakfast

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"The hotel situates at the heart of KK city. Only a few minutes of walk to different famous restaurants and bars. Near the shopping mall Centre Point. The room was clean, comfortable and large. The staff were cheerful and helpful. However, there were too few choices for breakfast. When I stayed in April, there were plenty choices of bread and cakes. But there should be more hot western style of food, other than just harsh brown, baked tomato, baked beans, scrambled eggs, beef bacon, chicken sausage everyday. In the 3-day-breakfast, I found only the bread, cake and waffle were of good taste."

• Travel date: 8th April 2006

Nice hotel but awful food

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel in February 2006. The hotel is very centrally located near to shops and markets. The room was very well furnished and comfortable. We had a half board package but after the first breakfast we realised we had picked the wrong place. The food was awful and certainly not aimed at an international clientel. We settled for egg on toast as a safe option with whatever fresh fruit was left.The bread was dried up and no option of type.The evening dinner was as bad. The food was buffet style and was generally cold or at the best slightly warm. The choices were very poor. We decided to change our package and eat in town instead. It is a pity that the hotel could not provide decent food as otherwise was very good."

• Travel date: 27th March 2006

Great Central location

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"I stayed there for 4 nights with my family. The location is great, right in the middle of the tourist area, surrounded by the largest shopping mall in KK, fruit market, night market and many popular restaurants. Tourist information centre is nearby and almost everything is within 15 mins walk. The room is new and clean and the single beds are at least 4 feet wide. Only once when I came back from the islands at 3pm and found my room wasn't ready yet, other than that the service was great. Considering the location and the confidence from an international hotel brand, the hotel provides great value for money. I called their reservation center in my home country (their call center is also very efficient!), and got a twin room at RM218 (net of tax) per night during xmas peak season. But there is not much facility for those enjoys staying inside the hotel, the swimming pool is small and the tiny Gym will not be ready until early 2006."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2006

Hotels near Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu is also called

• meridien kota kinabalu
  • kota kinabalu le meridien