Good

Exceeded expectations.

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"After much gooling, research and debate - We booked for 5 nights at Ulin (31/8/09-5/9/09) for a long overdue holiday.
Our priorities were location (easy walking distance to restaurants, bars, beach etc) and environment - we wanted a villa lovely enough to warrant staying in and "doing nothing" now and then.
Ulin delivered on both counts.
Airport transfer was seamless (although after a large flight arrival it might take a few attempts to locate your sign-yielding driver in the crowd) and when we arrived, we were blown away. The villa has possibly one of the most lovely entrances in Seminyak, and although it is located up a side alley, it is a 30 second walk to Jl Laksmana, unlike some villas set much further into the back streets which I would feel uncomfortable walking to at night.
The villas were lovely - the pool and outdoor bathroom in particular - amazing. I did agree with some comments that the living area was bedroom were a little dark however we spent so little time inside it didn't matter at all.
One lovely touch was the personalised birthday cake I received on my birthday (complimentary .. must have noticed in my passport!) and along with the daily fruit, candles around the pool and complimentary shuttle we felt very well looked after. All staff were lovely and knew us by name from day one.
I was somewhat less impressed with the in-villa breakfast, while nice enough we tried it twice, vetoed the American-style coffee and not-so-great eggs and ate out for the rest of the trip. There are lots of amazing breakfasts in Bali (and so affordable) that it seemed a shame to miss out (try Grocer & Grind for coffee, La Lucciola for omelettes).
I'd also skip the Ulin massages - very expensive ($US70+) and not overly enjoyable. "Cool" across the road from Grocer & Grind was amazing - 1 hour for around $14.
Ulin is an easy walk to Ku De Ta and the beach, although the less adventurous might feel more comfortable taking a taxi.
Overall, our Ulin experience was wonderful and we left feeling relaxed and pampered. I would recommend for couples looking to be close to the action in Seminyak, while still being able to seek refuge in a spacious, private villa."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of September 2009

Wonderful Hospitality, Great Stay

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Our family of four - two adults & two teenagers - spent 5 wonderful days ( 7 to 13 June 2008) at the Ulin Villas & Spa. We booked directly and were given an attractive rate.

Our 2-bedroom villa was exactly like that in the website photos. There was a good sized pool and the rooms were reasonably big. There was a lovely four-poster bed in one room, and twin beds in the other. The bathrooms were semi-open and the toiletries were good quality. We found the lighting adequate.

For breakfast, we had a choice of Continental, American, Indonesian or vegetarian. There was also afternoon tea, plus free stock-up of the mini-bar. Also free shuttle service down to the beach or to Kuta / Seminyak town. Best of all are the wonderful staff who showed great hospitality and service. The operations manager, Mr Winawan, even took time to say hello and welcome us.

The villa is in a small lane just off "Eat Street". Very convenient with loads of dining choices though it's best to bring a torch to light your way in the night. But it's the same everywhere in Bali. The street lighting took getting used to.

We recommend Ultimo - service and food much better than Trattoria. We also recommend Indonesian restaurant - Made's Warung.

We didn't try the spa at The Ulin but went to BodyWorks II near the beach. It was all right but cannot be compared to those in Thailand.

We had a restful and relaxing holiday and would recommend The Ulin for those who want privacy, convenience and service."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of June 2008

Great stay at the Ulin Villa

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My partner and I have just returned from 5 days at the Ulin villas in Seminyak.

Pickup service from airport was great and were greeted with cold towels and water for the trip back to the villas. The staff were extremely helpful and were only to happy to meet any specific requests. For myself I had some specific dietary requirements that Ulin were able to accomodate without any fuss at all.

The villas themselves are very private, I only recall seeing other guests on one occasion and we could not hear any noise from the other villas. The pool is stunning and the villa itself is more than spacious for two people. The outside bathroom is fantastic and the bath is huge.

The location was great for us, it was off a small street 100 metres from Eat St which was extremely handy. The beach is a 5 minute bike ride (provided complimentary) so close enough for a dip, but far enough away from all the action when you want to relax.

The breakfast cooked in the villas every morning were very nice, you had the choice of a continental, american or indonesian style. The continental included fresh fruit, two types of cereal, toast, preserves, yoghurt, juice, toast, coffee and tea. We also ate in one evening in our villa and the meal was good quality and reasonable priced.

Overall I would recommend Ulin for a relaxing private getaway where you would like to be pampered, we had a fantastic time and would definitely go back again."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of November 2007

Great garden, great bathroom, good service.

Good
Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"The best part of the Ulin villa was the bathroom! It's semi-outdoor with an amazing huge tub and a separate shower. The pool, bale, and dining bale were beautiful. Unfortunately I felt that the bedroom and living room don't really measure up. They felt very cramped and dark. The service was good. The location is right in seminyak, however, most of our cab drivers didn't know how to find the place since it's hidden in a small alley.

I did enjoy my stay here, but I don't plan on returning anytime soon. After all, there are so many villas in Bali to choose from, this one just felt like it was one of the "nice" ones. Nothing really stood out."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of October 2007

Great villas, great location, Brilliant Service! Try it!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"First of all, let me say that the staff at the Ulin are in my opinion the best I have ever had the plesure of dealing with. We have travelled quite extensively across the world from Europe, Americas and live in Australia, and it was with out a doubt the most sincere and exceptional service I have ever had. The Balinese are wonderful, happy people but the service at Ulin was exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble and every request was granted with a genuine smile.

That being said, the villas themselves are awesome, very modern but with a Balinese flavour. It's hard to beat having your own pool! Housekeeping come by twice per day to clean and make sure everything is spotless.

The Ulin is in a great location, right off "Eat Street" but far enough where you woudl never know that you are that close. If you are nervous about going to Bali due to the problems they have had, as we were, then I say give it a go. We had a fantastic time and we were actually very impressed by some of the restaurants there (Seminyak) such as La Lucciola, Huu Bar, Loloan adn Cafe Warison. They are surprisingly up there with some of the best I have ever eaten at."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of March 2007

So good, we went back!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"This place is beautiful and the service second to none. I cannot recommend the Ulin enough. We first went for a romantic break to the 1 bed villa in August and we loved it so much we went back to one of the 2 bed villas with some friends over NY!

What more can I say.......if you want privacy and complete relaxation (with a fully cooked breakfast) then The Ulin is perfect."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of March 2007

Absolutely beautiful, romantic, private villas

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"The resort is only a year old, with 14 villas in total. Each villa is complete with an outdoor kitchen under a gazebo, a private swimming pool, a 1, 2, or 3 bedroom villa, with each bedroom in a separate villa. Each villa has a covered, outdoor shower, bathtub, and toilet. The one bedroom villa has its own gazebo with massage tables adjoining the swimming pool. The facilities are brand new, and absolutely beautifully decorated. The service is exceptional, and the resort is within walking distance of Kuta beach, and a great restaurant called Ku De Ta."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of July 2006