( 1968 reviews)
Good

Exceeded Expectations

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"My husband and I recently stayed at the Samaya for 6 days. I had chosen to stay there based on the fact that it was located directly on the beach, and the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor.

From arrival to departure we were not disappointed. We were not upgraded, but two people simply don't need any more space. The service was courteous and efficient, without being over the top.

The rooms were immaculate and cleaned very regularly. Our outside area and pool were completely private.

The restaurant, although more expensive than many others locally, is excellent, and the position overlooking the ocean is second to none.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Samaya. My husband can be horribly critical, and we regularly have to change rooms when we arrive at hotels. He couldn't fault the Samaya."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

One of the Best!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"My family and I have just returned from a trip to Bali where we stayed at The Samaya. What an amazing place. The staff are just brilliant and the food totally delicious!
We took one of the new villas which as amazing. Each of my teenage boys had their own room and my wife and I took the 3rd bedroom. You could not want for more, wifi, statellite tv, a bathroom with a 2 person spa as big as some of the hotel rooms we have stayed in before.
We dined in our villa most days for breakfast and lunch and then in the evening we took the buggy over to the main resort and ate at the Breeze restaurant which world class! The general manager, an English gentleman named Ray Clark seemed to be there 24/7 and made sure we were enjoying our stay.
The kids used the gym and took a buggy to the beach to boggy board. My wife almost lived at the spa which was in her words
"just divine!"
We had friends from Melbourne staying at another 5 star property in Seminyak and they joined us for dinner and for brunch and commented they would stay at the Samaya next time.
The location was brilliant and in easy access to some of wide range of other restaurants and some great shopping.
One of the best family holidays we have had in a long time."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

Wonderful!!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"My husband and I spent 15 nights at the Samaya in June 08
During our stay we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary.

I cannot speak highly enough of the resort, it's location and it's facilities but the highlight of our stay was the staff and the service.

Nothing was too much trouble, attention to detail was outstanding and the food and service in the restaurant were second to none!

The butler service offered by The Samaya was a feature of our stay - it was great having someone on hand at all times to offer advice/suggestions on places to go, restaurants to try etc and they even book these things for you!

We would not stay anywhere else in Bali and would have no hesitation in recommending The Samaya to anyone wanting a special experience on the beautiful island of Bali.

We'll be back!"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of July 2008

Beware of Samaya !

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"We booked the Samaya for 17 nights for our Honeymoon, after weeks of looking for the perfect resort we finally settled on the Samaya mainly due to rave reviews here on trip advisor. We where collected from the Airport and taken to the Hotel, we where staying in the new section of the Hotel and I have to say the Villa’s are very nice with a large size pool, now these are not based on the Hotel property and you have to call for a golf buggy to take you to the Hotel. This hotel is well located and in walking distance to many great restaurants in Seminyak. However our trip was off to a bad start when the building work was going on in the neighbouring hotel, which started at 7am, not a great start to a honeymoon. We contacted the reception as asked if we could be moved…we meet with Ray Clarke the Hotel Manager and he told us that he would move us to the main Hotel, we where happy with the response of the Hotel until we seen our new room!!!!! It was in the main Hotel but was VERY old, a tiny pool and the villa never got any sun! So asked the reception if we could speak with Ray about our new room, and we where told that he had gone out for an hour and he would contact us on his return. The following day we had still not heard from him by lunch….so we asked reception if we could be moved back the other villa’s in a quite area and we felt that we had been down graded on our honeymoon and we had paid the higher price for this room! So again we moved to the very back of the resort (Room 315), finally we could get settled and some sleep!!!!! Well no, the pool pump was banging all night long and my husband had finally had enough and we call the butler to come to our room and listen to the noise he agreed with the noise we asked him to get Ray to contact us as soon as he came to work, He turned the pump off and we got some sleep! So after a day long of relaxing and a nice meal and NO sign off Ray we headed to our beds again, only for the pump to be making the banging noise again!!!! This is now the fourth night of our honeymoon and still not a good nights sleep…. So we called the butler again and again he turned the pump off. We went to the reception the following morning looking for Ray AGAIN and we where told that he was leaving on a business trip and would contact us before he left! At this stage our Pool was over flowing in the morning and in the afternoon was only half full!!!! Ray left for his trip and never tried to contact us, so we decided that if was best that we left the resort before it ruined anymore of our honeymoon, so we check out and moved to another Hotel where we couldn’t have been treated better!

However on our return home we received a mail from Ray Clarke himself saying that he would like to offer us a 3 night complementary stay and that he was so sorry that we left the hotel! We replied stating all that I have done in the above review and that we wouldn’t be going back to this hotel and we would like him to credit our credit card back instead. He then sent a quick mail to say he would contact us when he got into the office…Five days later he has got back to us and the Hotel’s holding company are going to credit our credit card back for three nights stay. To us it seems that he only wants to be around for the good comments, but as soon as something it not right, he can’t be contacted! It really is a shame as this is a really nice Hotel (on the new side) and the rest of the staff are quite pleasant!

We did use the Spa which was very nice and also eat in the hotel’s restaurant, which was very nice but very over priced compared to the restaurants in Seminyak, which is normal for Hotel’s.

The overall experience in this hotel, was one we would rather forget about!"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of July 2008

Absolute Perfection!

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed 9 nights at the Samaya in Bali. It’s situated directly next to the Legian hotel on Legian Beach and is also not very far from the trendy spot, Ku De Ta, for those hip and trendy travellers.
The rooms at the Samaya are superb, quiet and they are kept in perfect condition twice a day by 'invisible' personnel that never get in the way.
There are now 2 parts to the Samaya. We stayed at the original complex which is directly on the beach, with a magnificent pool and the Breeze restaurant on site. Each villa is self-contained with it's own pool and garden. The newer part of the hotel is positioned across the street and can be reached on foot or golf buggy. A word of advice. The 2 bedroom pavilion is great to share with friends or family as the bedrooms/bathrooms are completely separate from one another ( in different buildings), so you actually only share the pool and garden. Ultimate privacy.
The butler service is a treat; these chaps give excellent advice as to where you should wine and dine, although dining at the Breeze restaurant at the Samaya is just as wonderful. The food is excellent, the wine list is great and the service is just perfect.
Breakfast offers something for everyone at the Samaya, whether you want Japanese, Indonesian, American, Continental or just a good healthy start to the day. And, everything is cooked and served fresh from the kitchen, so no need to bother about buffets.
The spa is beautiful and the massages are pure relaxation.
The pool service is great, with all those wonderful added extras such as complimentary daily ‘afternoon’ tea or coffee; which you can take at anytime of the day; and served with the chef's sweet delight of the day.
It's the attention to detail that makes the Samaya stand out from the rest. Every evening the garden is magically transformed from beach loungers to a more chic lounge/cocktail strip, with Chinese lanterns in the trees adding to the romance.
Only guests may use the pool and hotel facilities by day but after 5, visitors may also visit to have cocktails, dinner, etc, so there is also a buzz about the hotel when you'd like it.
A couple was married in the garden when we were there and even this caused absolutely no disruption for the other guests (It was a small party of about 12). In fact, we all had a birds eye view of the entire ceremony from the pool and perhaps just felt like very under-dressed guests at their wedding (I've never attended a wedding in my bikini before).
I couldn’t find fault with anything at the Samaya and can only sing their praises and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a superb 5 star vacation in Bali."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of July 2008

The Samaya - Part 2

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Returning for our second stay at The Samaya we requested the villa we stopped in last year.
Nothing major had changed other than some improvements around the main pool area. Day beds & new sun lounge’s being the main 2. There was also a marked improvement in the music being played at the bar.
Again the service & friendliness of the staff was 1st class. It’s not over the top it’s genuine!
We had heard that the new Villas where open across the road from the main complex & we asked if it was possible to show us round.
The new ‘complex’ is a short golf buggy ride up the main road from the main reception - Samaya 1 as the staff call it. You are driven down a small laneway with the external white Villa walls on both sides. We viewed room 309 & was immediately impressed with the space & size of the outdoor area. The water feature infinity pool is the main feature of the garden area. The rooms are modern & functional with double sliding doors opening out onto a small veranda that overlooks the pool. The main bedroom has a large LCD TV & a Bose docking station. The bathroom has a double shower & a separate spa bath (with it’s own small LCD TV on the wall at the foot of the bath). Outside there is a large undercover area with 2 days beds & a table & chairs.
The complex has it’s own large swimming pool & bar area with brasserie. Both were deserted when we where there!
The positive is the space & general ‘newness’ … The negative is the slight feeling of being isolated from the main complex. I’m sure in time this will be minimised as the staff becomes accustomed to the requirements of the new addition to The Samaya.
All in all another great week in paradise … roll on December when we return to celebrate my 40th with family & friends!!"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of June 2008

"Perfection"

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Just spent 3 nights at the Samaya for part of our Honeymoon. Every little detail was perfect. At check-in, they provided us with a bottle of champagne and a Happy Honeymoon cake in our room. They upgraded us to a Royal Pavillion Suite.

The property is in immaculate condition and is manicured daily. Definitely a cut above the two sister properties adjacent to it, the Legian and The Oberoi. Every single villa has its own plunge pool and the Royal Pavillion Villa's have their own hot tubs.

The spa was very reasonable. We got a couple's 2 hour package for $150 US dollars. There are cheaper spas in the area but the service and the ocean front facility make it completely worth while.

The food at the onsite restaurant Breeze is also very good. Free a la carte breakfast daily is a nice touch. As other reviews have claimed, the restaurant is pricey for Bali standards. The restaurant directly across the street called Sate Bali is equally as good in quality of food with 1/5 the cost. Great for lunch if you do not want to spend an arm and a leg for every meal. That being said, I do suggest having at least one dinner at Breeze as the food is excellent and it is a very pleasant experience.

Finally, staff is trained extremely well. Very helpful indeed. Hotel provided us with a 6pm checkout for free as we had a red-eye flight. Overall, excellent."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of June 2008

Excellent Stay

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I was upgraded to the Royal Courtyard due to a technical mistake. Once I arrived to the hotel, immediately I was greeted by my name by a Manager and explained the situation. I was whisked away in a buggy to my villa by my butler. Everyone was courteous and well dressed in their uniforms.

The villa had a huge with 11 meter swimming pool. Air con was on, and a nice honeymoon cake was waiting on the table. The path to the door was decorated, so was my jacuzzi with flowers.
The poster bed was really comfy. We had 40" plasma TV and complimentary IPod. What can I say? It was perfect.

All the staff was ever ready to assist and spoke fluent English. Even the gardener greeted me! They were very concern since I was down with diarrhea. They managed to get the medicines for me. Sweet!

Villa is cleaned up the moment you leave your villa. Everything is spanking clean and occasionally you will get a small chocolate gift waiting. Nothing is needed to be told, everything will be taken care.

Pick up and drop off van was ready anytime at your convenience until 10 PM. The breeze food was really good although quite pricey. Breakfast was plentiful. They serve to your villa as well.

The ocean view was fantastic from the Breeze. Try having a romantic candle light dinner by the sea front. It's worth it.

Negative side was lack of Halal food, lack of in house entertainment and my butler went missing after the first day. That was not an issue since other staffs was ready to assist at anytime. Either than that, everything else was perfect.

Conclusion, the stay was great and I wish I could stay longer. I stayed in Bali Island Villa the next 4 days, watch out for that review."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of June 2008

Didn't live up to the hype

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Stayed here for my honeymoon. check in was not up to standard to a 5 star resort. Room was nice but didn't have the wow factor we expected for our honeymoon.

Food was really good though over priced. Pool area was great.

All in all its a nice resort but there are better out there for your money, that have the wow factor."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of June 2008

An excellent experience from the moment you walk in

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"As regular visitors to Bali over the past twenty years, we have stayed in various properties but The Samaya rates as our favourite place to stay. The staff are friendly, nothing is ever too much trouble and everyone meets you with a smile. The rooms are beautiful and a good size. It was good to see the cleanliness of the linens and facilities being maintained - something that sometimes lacks in Bali as properties age. All rooms have a private plunge pool. The a la carte breakfast makes a great change from the standard hotel buffet and the variety and quality of food is excellent. Make sure you have a cocktail on the hotel's boardwalk during sunset!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of June 2008