Pool

• butler service

1994 reviews

Controversial two tier pricing

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"I just tried booking this hotel for a six day stay in June to discover that they offer three levels of pricing - for the same product. Indonesians pay the lowest price, followed by Thais, Malaysians, Singopreans and then westerners. This is, at best opportunism, at worst overt racism. It's nothing to do with a market's ability to pay - there are no special deals for Poles and Brazilians. The last time I heard of attitudes like this was in 1933 in Europe! We're NOT staying - this is distateful and discourages us from even visiting the country. I hear they're not busy. They don't deserve to be."

• Travel date: 8th June 2006

Not what I expected

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"After reading the reviews for the Legian I was really eager to get to the hotel. The drive from the airport took roughly 30'. When I got to the hotel I was a bit disappointed with the architecture. The building is quite massive, doesn't blend very well with the surroundings and is quite close to the main road (30 meters). The staff was very nice during my stay but you could feel the hardship affecting everybody as people were expecting tips at every corner. The beach is not far from the hotel, roughly 50 meters and you can hear the big waves breaking on the shore. The rooms were ok, quite spacious but suffering from a decoration that betrays the past of this hotel. Suggestive paintings and carvings on the walls shocked me. The breakfast was good but the dining/in room service was quite appalling. It's not important because there are a lot of alternatives in the area. Check-in and check-out was quite efficient but I had to leave the room at noon despite my plane departing late in the evening. Overall, I was not impressed with this hotel, very expensive by the way when compared to other choices (Oberoi or villas available for rent at half the price). Lots of regulars I spoke to complained about recent changes in management of the hotel resulting in disappointment. I met the manager once during my 7 day stay and found him quite distant. An expensive but quiet hotel."

• Travel date: 30th May 2006

Perfect Paradise

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"After nearly two weeks spent at this hotel there is no fault that we could find and believe me, we are hard to please as we are world travellers!! All the statements contained in previous reviews of this hotel we found to be correct so they don't need to be repeated. The hotel is excellently managed and staff are exceptionally good and all know your name within 24 hours of you checking in and you are always then addressed by your name. (Don't know their trick but it's clever). If you are a book reader on holiday, don't aim on reading a word if you relax on the comfortable sunbeds near the beach as the waves ( around 4mtrs high when we were there) and the surfers are so fascinating to watch that you just forget to read. . If you have children this is not a beach for paddling!! Only criticism of the hotel would be the restaurant where prices for dinner are far too high and the food quality is average. Outside the hotel we recommend highly for authentic Thai Food The Lemongrass restaurant (air conditioned )in Seminyak or for Indian food The Gateway to India also in Seminyak ( don't be put off by the outside appearance of these restaurants- the kitchens are spotlessly clean and food is fantastic). Both are a 10 minute taxi ride away from hotel which costs around 2Euros or US Dollars Security at the hotel ( and all places where tourists gather) is excellent and the Balinese people hope that the tourists will start to return to the island in greater numbers as their economy depends on them. For any of you who enjoy buying designer copy watches for a few Euros or dollars,the beach in front of the hotel is a good place to buy. For good quality we recommend Alex( look for his name printed in the display box he carries). Everything we purchased from him is still ticking!! We will certainly be returning to the Legian again later this year and recommend it to all Trip Advisor readers."

• Travel date: 30th April 2006

Club at the Legian is superb

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"We stayed at the Club at the Legian for a week over Easter. It was superb from start to finish and quite exceptional value for money. We had car pick up at airport and arrived to wonderful villa with plunge pool and amazing butler. Whilst the Club is not on the beach like the hotel it is close by and you have all the facilities of the hotel. We used the spa which was very good. the food was outstanding and it is close to great restaurants like Kew Da Ta (sic?). Our butler could not be rated higher and wen't to no end of trouble to help us and make it a very very pleasant stay."

• Travel date: 22nd April 2006

Strongly recommended

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"In agreement with other positive reviews of the hotel. We've just returned from a wonderful trip to Bali, which included 8 days at the Legian. Hotel is top-rate, period. We had a huge room, spacious and beautifully furnished. Main attraction for us were the wonderful staff, always attentive, friendly, and anxious to please. Still haven't worked out how everyone remembers your name! Breakfast was excellent, wonderful choice of freshly prepared dishes. Hotel is clearly very well managed. Security standards were high. Lunch/dinner were fine, but not great, so we took the opportunity to eat at the many restaurants nearby. By far the best in terms of food quality was Cafe Warisan. Kudeta is a must-go for sunset cocktails."

• Travel date: 16th April 2006

Best Hotel!

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Hotel info & facilities I am very fussy when it comes to hotels. The Legian is definitely one of the best hotels I have come across! The hotel is located far from the major tourist spots and therefore it is very quiet. We stayed in the Studio Suite room for US$280++/night. It is very spacious with a living room, dining room and mini kitchen. The room is clean and cosy and the furniture is new with a touch of the Balinese style. The rooms are equipped with two i-pods as well as a Bose cd-player. You can request for a dvd player at no charge! Free internet access is available only if you are comfortable with using the PC that belongs to the concierge. Alternatively, laptop can be loaned for US$5/hour with an additional US$5 for wireless access. Hotel Security We feel very safe as the secruity is very tight; there are at least 2 security guards being stationed at the entrance of the hotel. All vehicles upon entering the hotel have to be thoroughly checked by a portable bomb detector gadget as well as a sniffer dog. Food & Service The food at the hotel is not very good but the service is awesome. The staff tend to remember your name and are always attentive to your needs. There are some restaurants (Kudeta, Sweet Basil-Thia, Sate Bali) within walking distance and the food is superb. Watching sunset at Kudeta is awesome. Beach The beach is right in front of the hotel and the waves are quite big. You can definitely surf. I would highly recommend this hotel if you want top-class service and ambience but only if you are willing to fork out more as the minimum room rate is US$260++ and above."

• Travel date: 1st March 2006

Luxury with Style

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"I have just returned from my sixth stay at The Legian, and highly recommend the hotel to travellers who prefer boutique luxury hotels. The hotel is a suite only hotel, with interior finishes of very high quality. Rooms are equiped with Bose stereo systems and ipods are provided for guest use. The hotel has a day spa, fabulous beach front pool, restaurant and pool bar. A stay at this hotel is made all the more special by attentive, but personal service. For those familiar with Aman resorts, I stayed at the Amankila some years ago, and found the service of The Legian to be at least as good as the Amankila. Touches such as chilled facial towels and iced water poolside together with complimentary afternoon tea add to the overall experience. Surely one of the best hotels in Asia."

• Travel date: 8th February 2006

Quite nice hotel

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We stayed at The Legian just after the terrible happenings at bali, the staff was very nice about it, and made us felt secure. I agree with previous people here saying that it's defently for couples and not for people with children. We found the hotel to have all the accessities we needed, and staff was very accommodating. We did find it above average, but not the best we have ever stayed at. But would recommend anyone to visit, but it's not cheap for normal standars, and especially not for bali standards."

• Travel date: 7th February 2006

Perfection

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Stayed at The Legian for 4 nights on a stopover coming back from Australia. After 3 weeks back-packing, I wanted luxury and I got it!! I have to say, this is the best hotel I have stayed at in terms of attention to detail, staff and room facilities. All of the rooms have Bose sound systems and 2 ipods pre-loaded with a (mostly!) good selection of tunes. However bring your own CD's as there is also a CD player! The hotel was not busy at all when I was there due to low season and the "Bali factor" which is sad to see as this hotel and Bali are both wonderful. The staff could not be more helpful and courteous at all times. Everything was super efficient and you did not have to ask for anything - chances are it had already been done! I have to say the one downside is that the hotel restaurant is expensive (by Bali standards) and tends to focus on European/Mediterranean food, which frankly is not what I came to Bali to eat. I ended up not eating there at all but instead going out for dinner to several excellent local Indonesian places where you could eat and drink well for about £5 GBP!! My personal favourite was a little Balinese restaurant about 50m from the hotel called Sate Bali."

• Travel date: 29th January 2006

The best service ever!

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"We have just returned from our honeymoon in Bali and spent 6 nights at The Legian. Having read various reviews on this site before departing I was interested to see how well it matched up. Having benefited from others reviews I thought I should contribute also: The Legian is a excellent hotel with outstanding service and food. It is not large (64 rooms) and is directly on the beach. It appears to be quite new and is constructed from concrete pillars which have been crafted to give a distinct asian feel. The garden is pleasant but not so large and not yet really mature. The staff are extremely helpful and you are unlikely to find much better service anywhere. The food is excellent and reasonably priced for its quality. On request the kitchen researched and produced within a day a japanese breakfast for my wife even though they had never cooked one before. We took a look at the nearby Oberoi and whilst it has beautiful gardens the rooms were quite a lot smaller, except for the expensive ocean facing suites with private courtyards. I would definitely stay at the Legian rather than the Oberoi (in any case they are only 5 mins walkng distance apart). If you do stay at The Legion I would strongly suggest getting a 1 bed suite. Ours came with a 4 poster bed and romantic white mosquito net drape and was much more comfortable than the standard suite. There are a number of good restaurants close by the Legian but you will need a taxi to get to most unless you like a 15-20min walk in the dark on a pedestrian-unfriendly street. As often happens a few things were not perfect but the hotel did do its best to patch them up quickly. Beware however the cost of international calls, internet access ($10/hr if you use their computer) and wine (seems expensive everywhere in Bali). Security precautions were evident at the hotel which was reassuring. There was a sniffer dog and inspection of all vehicles entering the hotel area. Security cameras were being installed in the garden also. If this is going to make you uncomfortable then you might be better off not staying in Bali. However if you don't like crowds of tourists then now is a very good time to go since its very quiet and prices are heavily discounted."

• Travel date: 23rd December 2005

Hotels near The Legian Bali

The Legian Bali is also called

• Legian Bali
  • legian bali seminyak
  • legian bali hotel seminyak