La Taverna Suites

Jl. Danau Tamblingan 29, Sanur, Denpasar 80228 Indonesia

A classic old hotel

Good

"We have just returned from a three week stay at La Taverna. We looked at many of the hotels in Sanur and found most of them either charmless or too corporate, but La Taverna had a certain old world feel that we liked. It's position near the beach was perfect for us and the private gardens were far more extensive than other places we saw. It's true that it could do with a some attention in places, and some of the rooms are a little shabby, so ask to look at a few, but in general this was part of it's charm. It felt very much like a hotel that people "discover", rather than one where you're placed by some tour operator."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2008

Beware!

"We were shocked to arrive at La Taverna and to be charged an additional US$10 for airport pickup, (We had already paid $20 to the driver) as we were told the original driver hadn't been the hotel driver, despite having my name on the board.

This may be an elaborate scam set up by the hotel. Upon paying our bill, we were also extremely upset to discover we had been charged for our 'complimentary' drinks, breakfasts, as well as food and drinks we hadn't ordered.

The hotel manager was rude and aggressive, and hounded us by telephoning the next hotel we stayed at. It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of January 2008

Family room was a Hobbit Hole!

"La Taverna was one of the few Sanur hotels that offered connecting rooms for a reasonable price. The staff were very kind and helpful, but it didn't make up for the hotel. Unfortunately, we had just been at three other gorgeous, and cheaper, villa/bungalow hotels in other areas in Bali and were thoroughly shocked and disappointed when we arrived at La Taverna. Yes, it is on the beach which is a huge bonus, but the room was horrific. I was able to touch the ceilings in our rooms, and I am only 5'3" tall! My husband and I had to duck to get into the room or bathroom. There wasn't enough room on either side of the double bed to actually stand. The room was so dark that with all of the curtains open at noon, we still needed overhead lights. We couldn't lock the door from the inside. The sheets were torn and the comforter looked like a K-Mart special circa 1976. The room next door was under renovation, being chipped away by hand, and a dog barked all night. We would NEVER return to the hotel. Possibly, the "regular rooms" are better, but there was nothing remotely Balinese about the style or feel of our rooms. They were more like run down European farm house attic rooms."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of October 2007

Very romantic

"It is avery nice hotel, somewhat simple but kept very well, right on the beach of Sanur. Rooms are Ok and clean. The poool is not huge but fairly nice. The restaurant is good and at night it is extraordinary romantic to have a candle-light dinner on the beach, a few steps away from th sea. I would definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

A place of contradictions

Good

"Just back from 11 days at La Taverna hotel in Sanur. THE HOTEL WAS LIKE THE LOCATION. Bali is sufferring from a drop off in visitors, so many places like La Taverna have seen better times, and does not receive the income to keep on top of its needs at present. Having said that, the effort of the staff to make our stay as pleasant as possible was exemplary, and the peace and quiet of our stay was marvellous in the context of our usual busy lifes.
Sanur is currently very quiet, only the street vendors, taxi drivers, and stallholders cause a distraction from what would otherwise have been a very peaceful area. Certainly this is the case if you compare it with the babylon that is Kuta.
Sanur has a long pedestrianised beach area, not on par with many European seafronts, but enough for a wheelchair user to be accomodated. The South part of Sanur has amazing views when the cloud lifts (to the volcano area), but the North beach area is resticted to views across to the nearest island group. Watersports, diving, snorkelling, etc. are available but not in your face. Beach sellers are a pain until you explain quite firmly that you are not interested in their wares.
Beach and sea were sandy, clean, and swimmable (but care should be exercised when the wind blows onshore and the tide is high). Generally, an extremely enjoyable stay amongst very pleasant locals, but remember, the rainy season is not called thus for no reason."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of March 2007

ok but great location

Good

"I am in general a bit disappointed with hotels in Sanur. Of course I am only speaking about the price level that I can afford, but you can have much nicer places in Ubud and the North (we rented a huge villa directly by the sea for same price). We firstly stayed in Sari Sanur but didn't like it, so we shopped around, and in such a low season, almost all hotels have rooms to offer and with much lower price then what they claimed before. We finally decided for La Taverna for its beautiful beach in front of the hotel restaurant and its ok room. Room is rather simple although with looking-anti design, but nothing spectacular really. The restaurent is very expensive compared to the nearby seafood resterant, for example Bonsai Cafe is a good option. The breakfast was great with the view of sunrise-on-sea. there are quite a few nice day bed where you can hang out lazily for most of the time in the heat, and jumped into the blue ocean or the pool every now and then. The staff were friendly and helpful, understood all your requests. I would recommod this hotel if you can get a bargin price, we had a room for 55$ incl. Continental breakfast, which is quite cheap comparied to the published price."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of March 2007

Beautiful Memories in La Taverna

"We are Mr.Kawaguchi snd family.We have staid La Laverna(room No42)from13July to 19July.We would like to express our hearthy appreciation to you for your warm and kind hospitality for our family.
It was a pity that our children(Koki and Shunki) could not say good bye to Mr.Coman(Koman?restaurant staff).They are like him very much.
We will never forget our beautiful memories as long as we live.
We would like to thank you again from the bottom of our hearts.We are hoping that we are able to stay La Taverna again."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of October 2006

Lovely but basic hotel

Good

"We stayed here for four nights at the start of our stay in Bali. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were fairly basic, but furnished with antique furniture to add character.

There was no breakfast buffet, and everything was freshly prepared. The fruit juice was like a smoothy - blended fresh fruit which was wonderful. The eggs florentine are to be recommended.

We felt sad when in Sanur, how empty it was of tourists. There are many lovely hotels and restaurants on the beach, with hardly patrons. They had perfect locations, and food, but no visitors. I would highly recommend Sanur"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

Fulfilled my dream of Bali !!!

"I have stayed at La Taverna 4 times in 5 years. And had a wonderful stay each time. Very cute duplex like cottages, furnshed with wonderful old pieces , hutches, chairs, with private patio. Great resturant, reasonably priced, right on the beach, nice pool, beautiful grounds. But the best was the staff, friendly, helpful, and everyone knows and calls you by name. Hire a driver and have a wonderful time. Its a beautiful, quite, peaceful, safe place to stay even by yourself. I was surprised by the posted rates because it was about 1/3 of that I payed ask for a better rate and I bet you can get it! ( after my first trip I took a suitcase of used childrens clothes and crayons and paper and pencils to give to the staff and it was much appreciated)"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of February 2006

Hotels near La Taverna Suites

Stayed at La Taverna Suites? Share your insight.

La Taverna Suites is also called