About Isola Di Cocco Beach Resort

• kids club
  • babysitting

Do not recommend

Reviewed Tue 29th of December 2015

"Not even the hotel swimming pool is available after 6pm.
Boat rides, Ayurveda massage, beauty parlors, beach, nothing is available after 6pm, outside or inside the "resort". The place is, at max, a day spa, and a very overpriced one. Even though we specifically said we were on our honeymoon, they put together two single beds, each with its individual bed sheets.

On the bright side, excluding the hotel manager, the whole staff is very polite. Stay elsewhere if you can.

• Travel date: Tue 29th of December 2015

Nice hotel but animal cruetly unbearable

Reviewed Sat 11th of April 2009

"I gave our stay a 4 because the hotel is clean, food good although not much variety considering the resort is rather isolated and you are bound to their restaurants. Beach pleasant, and very relaxing atmosphere. Pool large and clean.

I also witness the dogs and puppys! being clubbed and could not believe my eyes. The staff at the hotel did not seem to understand my concern, and looked at me as if I was complaining about someone swatting flies. Seeing these animals being killed in this way, broke my heart and I would not stay at a hotel or a region again that treats animals in this way. Kerala is known for its animal cruetly (I've heard many stories of the cyanide gassing of dogs on Kovalem beach). We need to speak out, even on these reviews, because to turn a blind eye completely is condoning it in a way."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of April 2009

Very poor hotel

Reviewed Wed 26th of November 2008

"This hotel is not recommended. The cabins are spread out over a large area facing the lake which is a haven for mosquitos. A distressing incident was witnessed from the adjoining hotel as the hotel's boat and staff were used to club to death stray dogs swimming in the lagoon and reflects very poorly on the hotel management who denied the incident occurred. The estuary hotel adjoins and is miles better for both ayurvedic massages and clean facilities."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of November 2008

My first trip to Kerala, normally a devo...

Reviewed Sat 29th of December 2007

"My first trip to Kerala, normally a devotee of Goa, what a great holiday. The food at the hotel was second to none, quality and choice were fantastic. The service from the staff was relaxed and attentive, always a smile on the horizon.

The hotel grounds were well landscaped backing on to areas of the backwaters. In the area adjacent to the hotel there were four other restaurants that could be visited if required.

The only negative was the beach. To get there the Hotel provides a free service via one of their boats, a short journey over the lagoon. Very attractive but unsafe to swim in prone to rather aggressive begging from children and adults.

It was a superb base for visiting Keralas delights and I certainly intend to return in a few years time.

• Travel date: Sat 29th of December 2007

Tripadvisor - you were so right

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"It was the Tripadvisor reviews that sold it for us. And, your reviewers were so right. Isola Di Cocco is a dream resort. Set in 30 acres of cocnut groves, lagoons and gardens, this is the place if you just want to get away from it all. A perfect chill out location, which you can use as a base while you explore Kerala, or just veg' by the pool, swing gently in one of the many hammocks, lounge about by the lagoon, sipping your chilled beer or whatever, brought to you by the large team of very attentive, polite and superbly trained staff.
After a very substantial breakast, overlooking the pool, lagoon and pounding surf, you can spend your whole day at the resort, eating by the pool or in the restaurant, or you can wander to the main gate where an eager crowd of taxi and tut-tut (Rikshaws) drivers will whisk you wherever you want to go. You could do no better than getting Anil Raj to take you on one of his tours. Anil was meant to take us to the local ATM (located half an hour away in Kovalam) but we returned eight hous later, having had a spontanious tour of the forests, rubber plantations, lunch by a local dam and an elephant ride through the forest. He told us to buy a huge bunch of babanas (20p) which we fed to some baby elephants which he found in a forest clearing splashing about in a stream. A fantastic day to remember for about £15.
We were thinking about negative aspects if this resort, but really couldn't think of any. The only thing - probably not suited to little children. But if you are older folk, honeymooners or just people wanting to get away from it all - this is the place for you."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of December 2006

wonderful

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"A week in paradise.
Its not Spain and yes the food is spicy but not to much.Dont go if you want night life there is none.
Recommend eating on Stevens floating resturant on estury outside hotel. Watch for the flashing tourch light and call Steven- its well worth it. We stayed Isola di Cocca Hotel- nothing to much trouble very relazing."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of December 2006

Good hotel in a quiet area

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Have just returned from an enjoyable and relaxing two week stay at the Isola Di Cocco in Poovar, although it did rain more than I was anticipating!. The hotel located in the mouth of the estuary just off the beach offers a reasonable standard of accommodation has a nice swimming pool, ayurvedic centre, and open plan first floor restaurant. The staff are extremely friendly and will go out of their way to ensure that you enjoy your stay. With Kovalam a thirty five minute taxi ride the hotel is aware that it has a captive audience and prices generally reflect at least a 50% increase over and above the price of food and refreshments in the locality. Food is OK with variations on an, english and continental breakfast, freshly squeezed juices, and indian fare. A buffet selection of dishes is offered in the evening for around £5 but in my own opinion the a la carte menu offers better options The hotel also has a fish restaurant located on the river with prices ranging from £7.50 for prawns to £12.00 for lobster. Nearby are two floating restaurants which can be accessed unofficially from the hotel riverside at night which offer similar cheaper fare. As a health inspector, I do however despite eating theire on three occasions question the hygiene standards of the floating restaurants and the ability to provide a suitable water supply for food preparation. Eating in kovalam is enjoyable and a £7.50 taxi ride offers alternative options. A taxi can be arranged through the hotel but after the first night we discovered that the same journey could be arranged 33% cheaper directly through the driver.
At the entrance to the hotel is a small shop providing a few basic gifts, tailor and selection of taxi's and tut tuts
Essential things to do locally should include using the hotels boat to access an enjoyable walk along the beach to watch the local fishermen hawl in their nets and nearby village, activity, an afternoon punting trip along the backwater for £5 arranged through Stephen's floating restaurant, and visiting the local market in Poovar etc
In summary I recommend this hotel it offers good quality (rather than great ) 3-4 star accommodation and provides the perfect opportunity to unwind. It does however perhaps suffers from over zealous management who occasionally over step the mark in their efforts to encourage you to eat at the hotel rather than considering other local options. Reluctantly I have to report that on two occasions rats tried to jump off the roof into the restaurant( I put this down to early season blips which I am sure are now under controliand feel it is inlikely to be an issue in the future )"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of November 2006

Best hotel in the world so far

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"We stayed in march 2006(its taken me ages to write this review)
We could not fault the hotel on any aspect at all, it is one of the BEST we have stayed in anywhere in the world to date.
Beer was more or less UK price but get out in a taxi at night and visit the surrounding towns for a meal and a few drinks and its as cheap as chips.
Rooms were spotless all the time, staff could not do enough and were courtiuos and polite at all times.
Food in the restraunt was superb with local dishes available and English food if you want.
Overall the experience at the Isola was unbeatable and we will return probably in 2008.
Booked trips through the reps we should have known better and used the locals.
Only regret was that the sea is to rough with very strong undercurrents for safe swimming.
I would recommend this hotel for a relaxing chillout vacation.
I would not recommend it for couples with children as there is not a lot for them to do"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of September 2006

I wanted to stay !!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My mother and I chose this hotel hoping for a quiet relaxing holiday we got all this and more.
It is a lovely quiet place to be the beach is just like on a postcard and very secluded. I would highly recoment this hotel. The people are very friendly and really can't do enough. The Ayuervidic centre is one not to be missed my mum and I tried to have a treatment every day as they were so relaxing. The hotel is out of the way which is what we wanted but the hotel hire you a taxi for half a day for very little money so you can go out if you like. A walk into the village of Pooar is a real eye opener! People all stop and stare but always smile I guess we are very strange looking to them. I will have very very fond memories of this place for ever and so will my mum."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of May 2006

chill chill chill

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed here for two weeks in March and the resort comes highly recommended by us. We had changed hotels at the last minute (due to Tripadvisor reports!) and were very glad that we did.
We had a lovely big and spacious room - a Heritage room, no: 14 if you are lucky enough to bag it, and the grounds were tropical, well tended and peaceful. This is definitely the place to go if you are looking for somewhere that is not very commercial, not overcrowded, and just peaceful and tranquil. There is no bar as such, but we did not feel you needed it - there was place to sit at the pool to just have a beer or chat or play scrabble (sad, I know!) You could ALWAYS be assured of a sunbed and umbrella whatever the time of day, and could have snacks round the pool or go up to the restaurant. However the crows can get cheeky and the little squirrels depend on their charm!
We really enjoyed the food at the hotel and to be honest also enjoyed the breakfasts! Trying curry for breakfast was quite a novelty, but there was plenty of fruit, cereal, porridge, eggs etc too if you wanted them, and for someone like me with a vegetarian, gluten free diet it was perfect as so many things were made from rice and of course meat free.
I have to mention the staff here. From the housekeeping girls, to the gardenkeepers, front desk staff, and the restaurant staff they were just lovely. All of them! The service was outstanding and it was all done with much grace and courtesy - unlike some other resorts I could name! The evening menu was mostly a la carte, with a huge range to choose from, with a few buffets thrown in and a couple of themed evenings round the pool and the beach where there were traditional dancing shows too, as well as the buffets. We are real 'foodies' and the food at this hotel more than met our expectations. Thank you Thomas, Nisi and Raj for ensuring everything ran so smoothly.
We did have some treatments at the ayuvedic spa and really do try this if you never have before. Even my husband tried some of them and went back for more although we did have a good laugh at each other as you are sent back to your room in a green gown with a bandanna on your head if your have had oils there, and you look as if you are just about to go into the operating theatre for an operation!
A couple of tips: you can get the little canoes at the bottom of the hotel that will take you to the floating restaurants which are well worth trying, and the next resort hotel down, The Poovar Island. You can get taxis from the hotel into Kovalom or Trivandrum and the drivers are extremely helpful, knowledgeable and patient, waiting graciously whilst you shop! We also went on the 'Backwaters cruise' which was so worth the effort and we booked with the people at the gate rather than with the Tour Operators as they were much cheaper and offered just the same service. Just remember to make sure the bedroom on the boat is air conditioned and insist on an air conditioned car or van as the drive is 4 hours and much more comfortable from an airconditioned interior! Also there is a tailor, Harry, who has a little room at the front gate and he is amazing. If you have a favourite garment just take it to him, choose your fabric and he will run it up in no time for less than you could have a couple of beers at home!
So ........... yes we would highly recommed this resort, but take your sun tan lotion, a hat, and a battery operated fan - it is hot!! Hurray! Enjoy your holiday! Oh yes, and hello to any of the friends that we made there!"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of April 2006

lovely out of the way place to stay

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"my husband and i came here for a week's stay and the place was pretty amazing for a 3* hotel. you would pay a lot more to stay somewhere like this anywhere else in the world. we stayed in one of the heritage rooms and the room was clean and nicely decorated and the outside bathroom was a lovely touch. The hotel is a little way out of the way but is a sanctuary when you want to escape the crowds of india and just watch locals slowly punting on the backwater with eagles circling overhead.
the food at the hotel restaurant was nice enough and the breakfast has a large selection on offer, including the token indian interpretation of a full english. the pool was a very relaxing place to hang around in and because there are not that many rooms in the hotel - it wasn't crowded at any time. if you take the hotel boat out to the beach - which is a nice ride - be careful playing in the waves as the sea can be quite rough. the staff were great and the grounds beautiful. the squirrels were also really cute!"

• Travel date: Fri 24th of March 2006

Relaxing hotel, cottages very clean, however, food could be better!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We have just returned from a superb 2 week holiday in the lovely Kerala. Our second week was spent at Isola de Coco where the ambiance is 100% relaxation! We stayed in a traditional cottage which overlooked the lake and proved exceptional. The outside bathroom was good and the cleanliness of the cottage outstanding. Although you could request tea/coffee making facilities and hairdryer for your room we think it would have been good if they were on hand. It is well worth taking a pair of binoculars as the bird life here is prolific.

Our only criticism is the food! This was well below average! Breakfasts were boring and the crossants/cakes were stale. The evening meal was typically buffet style, unappertising and rather reminded us of school dinners! Hence we absconded to the floating restaurants - Stephens and Stanleys which are just a couple of minutes punt away on the backwaters. We ate in both of them but must admit in our opinion Stanley's just took the edge. The food was superb, especially the prawns and our last meal there was to 'die for'! If the hotel could produce food of this quality then there would be no need to venture out.

All in all we could really recommend Isola de Coco but don't be afraid to venture out during the evening!"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of March 2006

Hotels near Isola Di Cocco Beach Resort

Top traveller tips for Isola Di Cocco Beach Resort

• sallyann45 by sallyann45

"beautiful place, animal cruetly ruined trip "

• Natália G by Natália G

"Have a driver to enjoy Kovalam shore's restaurants and shops after 6pm! "

Isola Di Cocco Beach Resort is also called